Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
But that's just one person's experience and I'm fully aware that this is mostly due to my misplaced expectations of what PC sims offered and not necessarily an accurate reflection of the sims themselves. Had I never heard the stories of rF1, Race07, GTR, etc. I'd probably be satisfied with the current sims, or at least more satisfied than I am.
That's probably it: stories. Bet there were as much people complaining about lack of certain features or lack of sim elements back then, as there are now :D

That's probably it: stories. Bet there were as much people complaining about lack of certain features or lack of sim elements back then, as there are now :D

Well, seeing as a lot of sim racers' favorite hobby is complaining, I don't doubt it. :lol: And I'm not complaining, just making observations based on experiences (and it should be noted that a good portion of my negative experience has been due to perpetually faulty equipment).

Last edited:
Well, seeing as a lot of sim racers' favorite hobby is complaining, I don't doubt it. :lol: And I'm not complaining, just making observations based on experiences (and it should be noted that a good portion of my negative experience has been due to perpetually faulty equipment).

We've all been young and grew up. The older we get the better we're at keeping our expectations realistic if not reasonable. You'll be more grateful of what is currently in the game than what isn't.

Being wistful about older sims lasts until you go back and actually try one. Modern FFB together with laser scanned tracks so totally blows away anything from past eras.

After AC came out, I tried Race07 once then uninstalled it. It felt so crude in comparison.

Actually, as I've said in another thread, I only started serious PC sim racing 2 years ago. So the memories of those games are still fresh in my mind. In fact, I still jump on GTR2, LFS, RBR and GSCE (which is basically an rF1 mod) every now and then. I got AC a month ago and I have been comparing physics & FFB back & forth.

Race07 is an anomaly. Even though it still uses ISImotor, Simbin made a lot of changes to make it more accessible than previous offerings. I'm not surprised you uninstalled it, I couldn't stand it myself.

If you don't mind the graphics, I would highly recommend Automobilista (a repackaged GSCE, which means it's rFactor "Perfect Edition" basically) and give it a good comparison with AC. I think you will find it's not as clear cut which is better 👍

ISImotor FFB (with RealFeel) is very crisp and gives you a good feeling of the limits of grip. Weight transfer and oversteer detail is lacking though. AC FFB is mushy and it's hard to feel the limits of grip, but gives good weight transfer info. Road detail is amazing as you said, but that's more due to laser scanning than the actual FFB. On mod tracks without laser scan it feels so-so. Neither feels 100% right IMO. A mix between the 2 would be much closer to reality.

I should also state that my G25 wheel is probably able to use 100% of ISI FFB, but not 100% of AC FFB. If I get a T300 in the future I wonder if my assessment will be different.

The core team at Kunos is 10 people. 10. People have awfully high expectations of 10 guys.

You only need 1 guy for physics though. Even Gran Turismo only have 1 guy for the physics of 1200 cars (Akihiko Tan). My original issue of missing brake temp simulation can certainly be done by one person.

The large number of developers in T10/PD is dedicated to modelling cars/tracks. Which shows in AC's car/track count. Not that I am complaining since they have done an incredible job with the number of people they have (and mods fill in the gaps anyway).

At the end of the day, it's also not the number of devs you have, but the philosophy of the lead game designer. If AC doesn't consider brake temps important then we're not gonna see it (which is a shame). Same with PD, if they don't consider good engine sounds important, we're not gonna have it no matter how many sound engineers they hire.

I don't really understand all the negativity surrounding 'the current state of sim racing', if you come from console racing games the complexity of these games, their physics and the ability to customize every aspect really does feel like the next step with regards to simulation. And most of it created with far smaller budgets.

Sure these older games might have had a couple of features that are now lacking, but it works both ways as current games have features that were missing back then. In the end every game/dev will do things differently.

Comparing to console there's a clear winner, but comparing to older sims things aren't so clear cut. In my mind progress always includes everything that comes before it. If you pare down graphics and laser scanned tracks, there's actually not much that AC does better than older sims.

Games like GTR2 just feel like a complete package out of the box for me. Everything is self inclusive. AC feels like a perpetual science project. Sure the physics is more complicated but you'd expect them to at least start on the same level as the previous generation in terms of things simulated. As I said above, it seems to be a philosophical issue with the dev team though, not an ability issue. If that's the case then there's nothing we can do.

I don't know, the jump from GT to older sims feels BIGGER than the jump from older sims to newer sims. I was expecting to have a "Holy crap this is exactly what I feel when driving a car IRL" moment when playing AC for the first time, but it was more "Wow, laser scanned road feel is amazing, but umm... something still feels off".

I shall continue to have fun in AC, but sadly I would need to wait a bit longer for a true virtual driving nirvana ;)

Calling AC a science experiment while at the same time citing rF1‘s realfeel mod is a little wonky, though. Realfeel is high up there on the list of ways to spend all your time tinkering not racing. Yes, it could feel good, but my biggest memory from tens of hours of rF1 was spending most of that time searching for a good result per individual car, then getting frustrated when soon afterwards I would be driving and lose the back end without any kind of FFB cues whatsoever.

AC delivers hugely communicative results out of the box, with far far less tinkering. I'd argue that for all but a tiny group of born tinkerers this is a MUCH better result, and therefore much less of a science experiment feel... All things considered.

Regarding alternatives to AC: I have been buying every PC sim which came out in the last 10+ years, so I'm personally familiar with the options. The reason I preferred Simbin's work to less modified ISI engine games is precisely because of the better FFB communication. For me the various FFB implementations in rF1 never gave enough information... You were always driving defensively until you had enough laps to guess how the car would respond. So GTR2 or Race07 are both a good example of a complete game which was able to communicate what the car was doing much more than rF1 or early iRacing (which I played at launch).

The point goes further: AC (and rF2 or modern iRacing) have changed the landscape by giving us communicative FFB with all the details. The old crude-but-communicative Simbin games an also the old rF1 FFB are clearly outclassed by modern sims both ways. If you value driving feel and communication then it's very hard to go back.

P.S. GSCE/Automobilista is obviously rF1 level graphics with improvements. It does things well, but there's still the underlying rF1 limitations deep inside. Personally I think AC is a better set of compromises. But I could see people with different priorities in their simracing feeling otherwise.

Last edited:
True, RealFeel can be a pain to setup. If the modders do their job it usually comes with the installation and you shouldn't need to tinker though. My comment on AC being a science experiment has more to do with the constantly changing tyre models and such with no end in sight.

As for being communicative, that's debatable as I outlined in my post above. Both FFB systems excel at different things, so it just depends on which you prefer. Also the laser scanned tracks in AC plays a big part in making FFB feel better. LFS is also damn good despite being only made by 2 people and having only fictional cars.

rF1 stock FFB sucks, I agree. With RealFeel set up properly it's another world though. Simbin games are good because the devs obviously optimized the FFB for each car, so there's less tinkering from the end user standpoint. Obviously it gives better communication. GTR2 and PnG3 are great examples. Race07 not so much for reasons I outlined above.

GSCE/AMS being the perfected version of the base ISImotor engine I think can hold up quite well against the newer sims. I don't consider graphics to be a limitation at all. It's just icing on the cake. Neither AMS or AC is perfect yet in my opinion, I prefer both for different reasons, but none is the clear winner. I guess that's what I was disappointed in with AC. I still can't uninstall older sims from my computer because AC isn't the everything-in-1 package I expected. Certainly AC has more room to grow than AMS, so it's up to Kunos to take direction.

I haven't tried rF2 or iRacing yet, so my picture of newer sims are incomplete. Just taking my time to savour AC now ;)

I'm quite enjoying iRacing at the moment, as well as AC and GSCE (I have AMS but I mainly use my local tracks which are only in GSCE for the moment). I used to have problems going from one to the next but I'm not having issues at all and I never feel like I'm losing anything switching between them.

If you've never tried iRacing, there are often 1-3 months free deals floating around. And the free set of cars was just augmented by the brand new MX-5 Cup car. Even if you don't want to start racing competitively, you can still try out the game engine both in practice mode and time trials.

And @Punknoodle makes a very good point: older gen sims tended to feel radically different due to having very different compromises and took effort to switch between. I also feel that the latest group of sims are closer in physics/FFB feel. Not identical by any means, but it's easier to switch around because the interaction and driving feel / cues are not so far apart.

I'm sure high quality FFB gear helps there too, since it doesn't mask things under cog rattle like the Logitech wheels.....

If you've never tried iRacing, there are often 1-3 months free deals floating around. And the free set of cars was just augmented by the brand new MX-5 Cup car. Even if you don't want to start racing competitively, you can still try out the game engine both in practice mode and time trials.

And @Punknoodle makes a very good point: older gen sims tended to feel radically different due to having very different compromises and took effort to switch between. I also feel that the latest group of sims are closer in physics/FFB feel. Not identical by any means, but it's easier to switch around because the interaction and driving feel / cues are not so far apart.

I'm sure high quality FFB gear helps there too, since it doesn't mask things under cog rattle like the Logitech wheels.....
Actually the Logitech wheels do a pretty good job with the smaller details in the ffb once you get the min. force set correctly. They are just noisy as all get out and not very powerful.

Due to my limited gaming time I'm never going to be able to justify spending anything on iRacing. I could test out the starter cars like you said, but without a wide variety to test I feel it's hard to get a good overall picture compared to other games. I wish they would package iRacing just with base physics without any online component, and include all the cars and tracks. If priced competitively I bet a lot of sim racers are going to be all over it.

95% of the previous generation sims used ISImotor or some variant, so I never have any difficulty switching around. In fact I always immediately feel at home. AC on the other hand took me a while to get used to the subtler FFB cues.

Haha, I'm aware there's the Formula BMW and BMW Sauber F1, but those are the minority. 95% of the cars and tracks in LFS are still fictional. As I said the physics are still damn good though, so it's not a problem at all 👍

VyRivjf.jpg

M9ibtBi.jpg

Now that the Abarth is there (which by the way was an awesome way to introduce it!) I want to see them add Herbie. I don't think I'd drive any other car :D

Ok I'm finally on the hunt for a proper gaming laptop that allow me to play Assetto Corsa at 60 fps high details and at least 20 cars on track. Budget 1200 €. I need a laptop because I need mobility but when I'm home I plan to hdmi it into a 48" Samsung.
Will be enough an i7-6700HQ + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M ? I would like to use high Anti Aliasing settings because of the big screen.

Thanks in advance.

Ok I'm finally on the hunt for a proper gaming laptop that allow me to play Assetto Corsa at 60 fps high details and at least 20 cars on track. Budget 1200 €. I need a laptop because I need mobility but when I'm home I plan to hdmi it into a 48" Samsung.
Will be enough an i7-6700HQ + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M ? I would like to use high Anti Aliasing settings because of the big screen.

Thanks in advance.

960M isn't anywhere near what you'd need to run high settings at 60fps. I don't even think a 970M would do it. 980M could probably get it done.

eDRza0d.png

Back