Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Here they say the M version can't keep up.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960M-vs-GeForce-GTX-960

Either I reconsider mobility or I add more € to the budget.
I have a laptop here with an i7-4720HQ/16GB/GTX960m, I could measure/benchmark AC for you at the desired settings. 👍

Use this laptop for work, but also play games on it. Most will run quite decently. If I recall correctly, there are only a few settings in AC that really impact performance, so you can turn those down while you keep the others up.

This is the layout they're talking about, isn't it?

Vallelunga03.61afc90c86d852d60a282504ea88b372.png

Interesting stuff about sounds in that, should be interesting to hear how much I've been scraping GT3's across the Nordschleife. :lol:

I wonder if the 'downshift sounds shared with engine sounds' is something like what R3E has?, where they've modeled the 'elasticity' of the drivetrain, and you can hear (and feel) it through the corners.

It helps immersion immensely, especially in the racecars.

Interesting stuff about sounds

Of course my first thought was "Is this going to break all the mod cars again?" The new sounds do sound promising though, it will be great to hear the reverb off walls or tunnels. Nice to see there will be proper exhaust flames now too, instead of just a .png that flashes on and off (that always annoyed me for some reason).

I have a laptop here with an i7-4720HQ/16GB/GTX960m, I could measure/benchmark AC for you at the desired settings. 👍

Use this laptop for work, but also play games on it. Most will run quite decently. If I recall correctly, there are only a few settings in AC that really impact performance, so you can turn those down while you keep the others up.

20160329183834_1.jpg

@HKS racer : 48 FPS only at the standing start with lots of smoke, solid 64 FPS (or higher) everywhere else. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember optimizing my settings on the laptop for 60-ish FPS. I wanted most detail on track and cars, less so on smoke/shadows and reflections. Shadows and reflections are also the ones eating up FPS the fastest.

I play it on a Lenovo G710 with I5 cpu and a Geforce 720m. It's low range yes, but still 36 fps in race with 12 cars and 50 - 60 fps in practice.

AC is very well optimized.

@NLxAROSA , @AlvaroF Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds interesting.
Problem with me is I know I'm crazy enough to run multi-class racing like WEC with 40 / 50 cars on track in a laptop and still try to achieve 60fps rock solid:scared::lol:. NLxAROSA Can you please try your settings with 40 cars on track?

@NLxAROSA , @AlvaroF Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds interesting.
Problem with me is I know I'm crazy enough to run multi-class racing like WEC with 40 / 50 cars on track in a laptop and still try to achieve 60fps rock solid:scared::lol:. NLxAROSA Can you please try your settings with 40 cars on track?

Uhh. That'll be very challenging. I ran on a GVRC race with 10 people and I kept the 50-60fps range rock solid (internet connection was wortheless though). I did a benchmark. Not bad, but not great. But my computer is in desperate need of formatting. Loading times are ridiculous and so is the CPU usage. There are a few thing I might push. I'll try @NLxAROSA optimization once I do the formatting.

20160330172351_1.jpg

Japanese content is what a lot of people want so this is massive. old miata and 787B for free and a metric ton of nippon steel coming in May, its a month late but it will be one hell of a birthday present to me.
Some nice cars listed in the article, it would be even better if they included some Japanese tracks as well, like Suzuka, Autopolis & Okayama.

FS7
Suzuka, Autopolis & Okayama
The problem with those tracks is that they'll need to spend "immense" amounts of money in order to scan one of those tracks. Same applies to any non-European track. Unless it pays off (which it probably only will if the game is a huge success on consoles), it is not a viable option.

1.5 changelog

- New Abarth 595esseesse and S1, S2 upgrades
- New Ford Mustang GT 2015
- New Corvette C7 Stingray
- New Black Cat County track
- Nurburgring gp circuit updated
- Nurburgring gp circuit now with 4 layouts
- Silverstone circuit updated
- Monza circuit updated
- Spa circuit updated
- Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit updated
- Nurburgring Nordschleife endurance cup layout added
- Mugello circuit updated
- Magione circuit updated
- Imola circuit updated
- Drift circuit updated
- Vallelunga circuit updated
- Vallelunga classic layout added
- Vallelunga circuit (all layouts) now has 24 car slots
- Activated time progression in Multiplayer
- Damage is now visible in Multiplayer mode for remote cars
- Launcher: steam overlay support disabled due to stability issues
- Launcher: re-instated multi-process mode for CEF due to stability issues
- Launcher: changes to memory usage policy, more aggressive memory releasing thresholds
- Fixed Lamborghini Miura gearbox damage
- Updated drivetrain upshift and downshift timings for all cars
- F6 inside cameras use internal sounds
- Free camera now honours distance multiplier for sound attenuation
- Of all Drivable cameras only Cockpit uses internal sounds
- Transmission sound can have its own volume (by default it shares engine volume, otherwise it uses the TRANSMISSION value set in audio.ini)
- Gearshift sound shares engine volume
- Backfire sound shares engine volume
- Fixed car sound when bottoming out
- Realtime app shows lapped guys (blue) and lapping guys (green)
- Fixed FuelLapEvaluation function
- Fixed fuel consumption on turbo engines
- Fixed inconsistency on UI tech specs
- Modding : added FormCamera functionality to associate internal/external soundset
- Modding : added console commands "observeLights" and "observeFlames" (work as observeDigital); EDIT_MODE is deprecated
- Modding : added Digital Instrument KERS_CHARGE (percentage)
- Modding : added Digital Instrument TOTAL_LAPS (if session is not race then "---")
- Modding : added Digital Instrument CURRENT_LAP
- Modding : added Digital Instrument EST_LAPS (if est is less than 0 then "--.-")
- Modding : added Digital Instrument AMBIENT_TEMP
- Modding : added Digital Instrument FUEL_CONS (UNITS: MPG_UK, MPG_US, L100 or "Kms per Liter" if missing)
- Modding : added Digital Instrument PLACE_HOLDER to avoid fixed digits on texture (use TEXT)
- Modding : added ON_BOARD_LOOKBACK_OFFSET in car.ini
- All tyres now use V7 with brand new heating values (beta: except Exos F1 tyres yet)
- All tyres now use V7 with brand new falloff level and speed (beta: except Exos F1 tyres yet)
- Changed all tyres flex and pressure relation.
- Changed all tyres footprint and pressure relation
- Modified global aero efficiency with yaw angle. Works on all cars
- Added new aero.ini version=3 with new YAW_CL_GAIN values that can stall wings depending on yaw angle
- Yaw angle stalling wings and diffusers for GT2/GT3 cars and Mercedes C9 and Lotus 98T
- All GT2/GT3 cars now have minimum height 55mm
- 200,400,500,1000,2000 meters drag circuits now available
- Modding : ksPreviewBuilder added to sdk/dev folder
- Python Interface:
- initFont(fontfamily, italic, bold)
- setCustomFont(fontfamily, italic, bold)
- getCameraMode()
- setCameraMode(acsys.CM)
- getCameraCarCount(carId)
- setCameraCar(F6 camera index, carId)
- focusCar(carId)
- getFocusedCar()
- getServerName()
- getServerIP()
- getServerHttpPort()
- getServerSlotsCount()
- isCarInPitline(carId)
- isCarInPit(carId)
- isConnected(carId)
- getCarBallast(carId)
- getCarState(carId)
- eKersCharge
- eKersInput
- totally revamped backfire system (will not break mods)
- added new F1 "dash camera" and "Chase camera #2"
- CameraManager : fixed issue globalCameraIndex
- Fixed Camera selection on Replay Interface
- Fixed CameraApp to reflect Dash and Chase changes
- Fixed Camera system messages
- Fixed Random camera wrong cameras + message
- added CameraOnBoard offset to avoid car parts on view
- added new driver model with lod
- added Fuel Lut to solve issues with several cars gauges
- SharedMemory : added new members
- SPageFilePhysics
float turboBoost = 0;
float ballast = 0;
float airDensity = 0;
- SPageFileGraphic
int isInPitLine = 0;
float surfaceGrip = 0;
- SPageFileStatic
float maxTurboBoost = 0;
float airTemp = 0;
float roadTemp = 0;
bool penaltiesEnabled = false;
float aidFuelRate = 0;
float aidTireRate = 0;
float aidMechanicalDamage = 0;
bool aidAllowTyreBlankets = false;
float aidStability = 0;
bool aidAutoClutch = false;
bool aidAutoBlip = false;
- fixed several cars still featuring dashboard "floating" digits
- fixed car scraping volume
- added first implementation of Force Feedback Post Processing (docs in cfg/ff_post_process.ini)
- improved camber calculations
- improved tyre heating on low friction surfaces (grass,sand etc)
- added new "Tyres" app (work in progress)
- Server lap counters and lap times are now 16 bit unsigned ints allowing super long sessions/races

Wait until you read the Dev Diary about the 1.5 update.

Dev Diary 1/3

sopra-intro-1024x428.jpg

While waiting for the warm season to carry out our survey at the Spielberg A1 Ring– to be reproduced with laser-scanning technology and available for Assetto Corsa later this year – we used the winter season to produce a huge update for the tracks previously released for the simulation. Some of the circuits in Assetto Corsa were created years ago, resulting in a visible gap in terms of appearance and graphical details when compared to the latest additions such as the Nordschleife, Barcelona or Brands Hatch. Being our main aim to provide you with the best we are able to achieve, we are glad to announce that all circuits in the game have been updated and now bring an improved look and better immersion, raising overall quality to a new level.

In addition, last year we made some tests with a new laser-scanning device at ACI Vallelunga, the Italian circuit that houses our HQ since 2009, and we used this data to give you a massive graphics update of “our” track that will now also include the “classic” layout used until 2005featuring different driving lines and providing a new challenging experience on the roman circuit.

And that’s not all. We are glad to announce a new, free content that will be available for Assetto Corsa. “New” is the right word because not only is it additional content, but something that aims to introduce a new, exciting way to enjoy the Assetto Corsa driving experience.

gara_2.jpg

As you might know, Assetto Corsa offers more or less a parity of racing and road car models in order to meet the different tastes of our wider audience. Regardless of this mix of road and racing content, the simulation features highly detailed laser-scanned circuits, which represent the perfect environment for racing. However, until now the simulation did not include a proper road environment, an ideal scenario for the simple pleasure of driving, something that people are especially looking for while driving road cars and grand-tourers.

One of the car manufacturers that use Assetto Corsa for promotional, training and R&D activities has noticed the same, and last winter requested our team to create a fictional road environment with the purpose of taking advantage of the driving feeling granted by the simulation, just for the sheer enjoyment of driving without the need to learn and practice on a track, aimed at people who are not yet familiar with driving on racing circuits.

scenery_1.jpg

Although we can’t deny that at the beginning we were somewhat sceptical about the idea, eventually we did it, and you know what? It’s a blast. We have created a road that allows you to “just drive” – for the pleasure of driving itself, enjoying the landscape, navigating smoothly and fast without the need to memorize exact braking points, adopt a specific driving line and the limitations in terms of road layout (i.e. length, wide, elevation changes, etc.) that we usually find when we replicate a real-life, homologated circuit. And, of course, it can be a fun break between races on one track and the next one, providing a totally different atmosphere and details from the ones you usually find on a racing circuit.

In the real world, closed circuits are the only place where you can push yourself and your vehicle to the limit in relative safety by reducing the risk of being harmed or harming other people in case of driving error or mechanical failure.

The good of any simulation is that the worst consequence of a crash is the need to press the restart button. That is why we believe that providing you with a new experience “on the road” will give you the chance to enjoy Assetto Corsa in a different way, taking advantage of one of the most appreciated dynamic models on roads that you could tread every day in the total safety granted by the virtual world.

modello-di-guida.jpg

Since the Ford Mustang and the Corvette C7 Stingray are the cars scheduled to be included in the build 1.5 of Assetto Corsa, we decided to create a landscape and environment with the most appropriate theme. We hope you will like it: “The Black Cat County” includes three layouts in a loop, also suited for racing events: “Short” (that, despite the name, needs three minutes to be completed), the most challenging one, a possible paradise for drift enthusiasts thanks to its wide hairpins in sequence; “Intermediate”, which provides a nice and varied challenge; and “Long”, which combines the Intermediate variation with high-speed bends and long straights, allowing road and GT cars to reach speeds otherwise only achievable on the longest straight of the Nordschelife (Döttinger Höhe).

scenery_2.jpg

Due to the racing DNA of Assetto Corsa, the Black Cat County is not a boring challenge: its various layouts allow all AC fans to enjoy the simulation’s advanced physics model in a different way – a perfect choice for those who want to progressively build their confidence for online racing, without the risk of ruining the online experience of other drivers on more challenging racing circuits owing to their inexperience or the lack of knowledge of demanding track layouts.

gara_1.jpg

The production of Black Cat County scenary ran in parallel with our scheduled development, and I cannot emphasize it enough that it does not represent a replacement or a different direction of our will to continue to make improvements to Assetto Corsa, with our main focus on the realistic racing simulation genre. Nevertheless, not only do these kinds of activities guarantee a better relationship between Assetto Corsa and automotive manufacturers with all the benefits that they bring in terms of realism, connections and new licenses, but also represent a more comprehensive way to process R&D activities and test new 3D modelling and texturing techniques with the aim to bring the most out of what the Assetto Corsa engine is capable of.

Enjoy it!

@kikie That's the first part, it's already posted already on the GTP news page. We are up to 3rd part now.

On the other hand, brake temp simulation is finally coming :D:D:D

On the physics side, we have scheduled a task related to brakes, possibly with the cooperation of a widely known brand, in order to simulate how temperatures affect the performance and efficiency of braking systems. 

We also have a new algorithm for AWD drivetrain that it giving promising results in the numerical simulation and that we plan to port to the AC engine soon. The new system will allow a more accurate simulation of AWD cars with unequal torque distribution.

Top job Kunos. I was worried that the console release is going to take their focus away from the simulation aspects. Needless to say my worries were unfounded 👍👍

Also can't wait for the Japanese car pack! Just missing an NSX, Evo and Impreza and we don't need Gran Turismo anymore :lol:

The problem with those tracks is that they'll need to spend "immense" amounts of money in order to scan one of those tracks. Same applies to any non-European track. Unless it pays off (which it probably only will if the game is a huge success on consoles), it is not a viable option.

Hi Panda, can you explain what makes laserscanning so expensive?

NLxAROSA Can you please try your settings with 40 cars on track?
I'll give it a go tonight. Interesting to see wether 40 cars on track will impact GPU (gfx) or CPU (physics) more. Current bottleneck for me is the GPU, CPU only at 36%

Shipping something like this half way around the world (along with the personnel to operate it, and lodging/food for said personnel) probably isn't cheap.

View attachment 532248

But it's also important to note that many tracks have already been laser-scanned in order for game dev studios to implement them into the game without having to go the extra mile and fund the laser-scanning all by themselfes and simply are forced to purchase a license and essentially get access to the files of the scan. At least that's how I understand it.

Especially RSR is pretty big into laser-scanning IIRC and they have scanned the Nordschleife, Spa and some other tracks I can't think of right now.

@kikie That's the first part, it's already posted already on the GTP news page. We are up to 3rd part now.
So, I'm not allowed to post this information here? :odd:

I know that it is only the first part. I'm a member of the official Assetto Corsa forum where I read all three parts. Not every GTP member looks at the GTP news page. I don't, that is why I didn't know it was on the GTP news page.

Dev Diary 3/3
devdiary3_4-1024x428.jpg

The already top-class driving experience and physics engine of Assetto Corsa have been further improved and enhanced with new features, new content and great attention to detail for every single aspect of the simulation. As a result, Assetto Corsa achieves a new level of maturity and confirms our continuous dedication to a simulator that offers the best driving experience and maximum realism.

Tyre model & physics
Starting with tyres; the 1.5 build optimizes the work started with the previous version and brings all the cars to the latest tyre model and tyre features. Tyres have now a more realistic load sensitivity, a variable grip curve after peak, closer performance level between compounds, a brand-new surface and core heating model as well as more realistic heating operation range. Modders will be delighted with the new features and available values, but most importantly, drivers will now be able to discover even more exciting handling characteristics. Our goal is always the same, an easy-to-understand handling model thanks to the improved feedback, which is also more demanding once over the limit. From street tyres that are easy to maintain in drift but at the same time more willing to spin once over the optimum grip to slick tyres that can be very slippery when cold to very sticky once hot but at the same time nervous and unwilling over the limit, requiring fast hand movements and skilful footwork.

Additionally, finding the correct compound might not be as straightforward as before, and a careful study of the circuit characteristics, ambient and asphalt temperatures as well as car behaviour and the tyres’ operating range is now obligatory in the search of maximum performance.

To help you with choosing the correct compound and keeping under control the tyres temperature, we are working on a new “Tyres” app that has been added to the list of system apps included with Assetto Corsa. The new app shows real-time information about core and surface tyre temperatures, pressure, wear and provides basic graphical feedback of the general grip level of the tyre.

Assetto Corsa’s advanced aerodynamics have always been a highlight of our title’s physics engine. Active aero, speed, height sensitivity, stalling and a practically infinite number of aerodynamic surfaces, permit an ample customization and simulation of the most aerodynamically advanced cars. Now, with version 1.5, brand-new equations for yaw sensitivity are included in the core model and new values for aero stalling depending on yaw for every single aero surface are available for modders. Feel what real professional drivers struggle to describe to their engineers when they drive their cars over the limit and discover strange handling characteristics when the yaw angle becomes severe. Depending on the car and its aero configuration, one car might be extremely stable and grippy until the limit, only to transform into a nervous and wild animal once a slight drift angle is achieved. Other cars might maintain their character, thus enabling the driver to push over the limit for that last split of a second. As a general rule of thumb you can expect cars with advanced aerodynamics to be the most sensitive and in need to be driven smoothly.

Additionally, there has been a ton of little bug fixes, fine tuning, tweaks and optimisations on practically every single car available in Assetto Corsa.

Pitstops

devdiary3_3.jpg

One of the most awaited features for single player is finally here. Pitstop functionalities open Assetto Corsa to endurance racing thanks to the option of refuelling the car and changing tyres, using the compounds available for each single car. The pitstop menu also allows repair to the car body (that affects aerodynamics), suspensions or the engine, with the same functionalities available for multiplayer racing.

Multiplayer & Artificial intelligence

devdiary3_2.jpg

Visible damage has been introduced on opponent cars in Multiplayer races, adding to the immersion of online sessions.
Time progression has also been added to the Multiplayer game mode, meaning that light conditions are no longer static during Multiplayer races, and time progresses the same way it does in Single Player modes. The feature brings an increased level of realism and immersion to online sessions.In addition, general improvements and optimization have also been made to the Multiplayer mode.
As usual, we have not stopped to keep tweaking and improving our artificial intelligence. Significant improvements have been made, more specifically the AI are now more skilled at navigating through traffic and handle racing situations, offering users who prefer single-player modes an increased level of challenge and more realistic racing environment.

Beyond the 1.5 build
While looking forward to the release of Assetto Corsa on console, we have some news that will make this summer really hot indeed.
Assetto Corsa welcomes the Mazda Brand!

devdiary3_1.jpg

We are glad to confirm that the Mazda brand has joined Assetto Corsa and will be represented by some of its most iconic models: the first-generation Miata and the brutal and awesome 787B will be added to Assetto Corsa as free updates later this year. The 2015 MX-5, MX-5 2015 Cup and the RX-7 will be part of the upcoming Assetto Corsa Japanese Pack, available on Steam by May 18th. The most-wanted pack, including a number of vehicles requested by the community, will feature the new Mazda MX-5 road/cup car, the RX-7, the 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo, the Nissan GT-R 34, the Toyota Supra in three versions, and the Toyota AE-86 in two versions. The production team is working hard to complete the work on physics, graphics and sounds, with the aim to produce an unforgettable, massive Japanese pack to be crazy about. The same package will also be available on console after its launch.

The console version of Assetto Corsa will hit the shelves on June 3, and a new package including the Ferrari 488 GTB, FXX K, Praga R1 and Audi A1 S1 will also be available on Steam.

The production of the Spielberg A1 Ring circuit has already started, and our plan is to release the new laser-scanned circuit in time for the Formula 1 race weekend (July 3) to allow AC users to “taste” and enjoy the race even more.

There is a lot going on under the hood with about 30 new vehicles in production, including new entries for classes already included in Assetto Corsa, with the aim to make the simulation even better, more enjoyable, offering a selection of cars suited for everyone. We are evaluating the option of implementing championships in order to allow users to create proper seasons with any car of their choice.

On the physics side, we have scheduled a task related to brakes, possibly with the cooperation of a widely known brand, in order to simulate how temperatures affect the performance and efficiency of braking systems. 

We also have a new algorithm for AWD drivetrain that it giving promising results in the numerical simulation and that we plan to port to the AC engine soon. The new system will allow a more accurate simulation of AWD cars with unequal torque distribution.

Work is underway to create a function called “Quick Menu”, which will enable the user to control software functions while in the car without resorting to mouse or keyboard.
Designed to allow to pre-selected pitstop operations (tyres, fuel etc.) before reaching the pits, the new system could also be expanded to offer necessary controls in VR, a scenario that is not currently possible to support via the existing mouse-driven GUI, opening the possibility for full car setups, pit and game operations to be accessible for VR users.
By the way, let us say a few words about VR, which is an open and quite talked-about issue at the moment. As you know, Kunos Simulazioni has been supporting the Oculus Rift since the release of the very first kit, and the American company also chose Assetto Corsa for its events thanks to the immersion achieved by Assetto Corsa with its products, up to the DevKit 2. The third time around, the SDK provided by the company to support its device was radically changed, and we simply cannot update the code in Assetto Corsa every time this happens; we need to completely rewrite the dedicated rendering structure. That’s not easy or cheap, as you could probably imagine.
Although the retail version of Oculus Rift is finally available, at the moment our core team is focused on the submission and release of Assetto Corsa for consoles, which at the same time brings a huge update for the PC version with the 1.5 build thanks to the fact that part of the code is shared between the platforms. Since working on Oculus support requires us to allocate extra time and resources – because of its complexity it cannot be managed easily or in a few days – we will have to take a moment and consider when our current development schedule will allow us to do so, but realistically not before this summer. Our aim is to support VR – and not necessarily only the Oculus Rift – when we will be able to take the time and resources required.
We fully understand that people who have invested in the purchase of a VR device want to use it as much as possible, and we know that Assetto Corsa guaranteed a ton of fun with the Oculus SDK2 (that could only be better with the retail version), therefore we promise that we will take the time to evaluate the option of creating proper VR support in harmony with other tasks and priorities that we have already scheduled.

Finally, let us thank you for your awesome support that gives us the resources and motivation to do our best to make Assetto Corsa even better day after day.

Hi Panda, can you explain what makes laserscanning so expensive?
Basically what @BrandonW77 said, additionally to the usual costs like having to rent the track (so in that time, it can't be used at all) and the licensing fees. Since even American tracks are not in the right ballpark, Japanese tracks will probably end up being even more expensive, considering the route for a ship to North America is quite a bit shorter than one from Italy to Japan.

But it's also important to note that many tracks have already been laser-scanned in order for game dev studios to implement them into the game without having to go the extra mile and fund the laser-scanning all by themselfes and simply are forced to purchase a license and essentially get access to the files of the scan. At least that's how I understand it.
While this seems to be the case with the Nordschleife, I doubt this is the case with most tracks. Even if data was available, they all have different requirements and standards when it comes to content and therefore, they might still have to rent the track for a couple of days, eventually scanning it yet again. I think this debate came up once when the laser-scanned version of AC was compared with the one of iR. (or something along those lines)

Sorry explained myself not to clear.

What I meant is solely the scanning. I understand that logistics are expensive but what I wanted to know is the laserscanning procedure itself.

Why need to rent the track? You can't the "scanning car" just enter the track during a trackday event and scan it? In the evening or night is not possible? What are the requirements to laserscan a track? Does it scan solely the track / surface or as well the environment?

How does importing the data into development work?

It costs money that's for sure but how much to scan one track and get it up and running in a game?

For those circuits in Japan and US -> wouldn't it be more practical let the laserscanning be done by a local party and let them upload the data to your servers?

Especially RSR is pretty big into laser-scanning IIRC and they have scanned the Nordschleife, Spa and some other tracks I can't think of right now.

I know this is done for the Nords but I've never seen it mentioned about other tracks (doesn't mean it doesn't happen). It seems like a good idea to me though, for a track to commission its own laser scanning and then have that data on hand to sell to game developers. This would make it easier for their track to be included in the game and to insure it's an accurate representation. If/when I win the lottery I might start my own laser scanning business to do this type of thing. :)

Sorry explained myself not to clear.

What I meant is solely the scanning. I understand that logistics are expensive but what I wanted to know is the laserscanning procedure itself.

Why need to rent the track? You can't the "scanning car" just enter the track during a trackday event and scan it? In the evening or night is not possible? What are the requirements to laserscan a track? Does it scan solely the track / surface or as well the environment?

How does importing the data into development work?

It costs money that's for sure but how much to scan one track and get it up and running in a game?

For those circuits in Japan and US -> wouldn't it be more practical let the laserscanning be done by a local party and let them upload the data to your servers?

I'm no expert, not even very well informed on the topic, but I think it takes more than just a lap or two during a track day to scan everything. I think they go at a fairly slow pace to ensure as much data as possible is captured so it could take hours, maybe even a day or two, to collect all the scanning data. On top of that they also take extensive photographs of the track itself and surrounding environment and that probably wouldn't work well on a track day. And I believe most laser scanning includes the immediate surrounding area as well as the track itself, but this could vary from one method to another.

Back