Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
LOL today :)

Dt0dMrH0fud9hl3RFmFjP2jx66nDfJVSNOL45OLizWAemJ9uNpt6CJoq7MWUM_65kaIBTaMTNK-IzRRdryhPmiMVf8OIK47SNru-VKA6uRPuTkfSql2WPVIp6HiBKFuV62fUbVtnk0maSxZgjBHkxKcy4rGHDsEM8LokY2Kqy9hGAIeJRdqI__rpAKZ7mQSEv7uHyrYHM53P5ZVKPsOFc2MPpSbtYHNdPvR1DO0Nf0Hlfndx-akc-47Z-DPxJH-owgW_wK1a6OvMeExxlHnyJXjmM_WQ9eVXwW7TQgfisIDBdr2Z7YY7pB_ytm5vJB1ICl4n8Id1AVm1ANq-qE6RtD3I-boQdfgdVO6nSNBU3XJh28eMhOLge6sKrfKEdhY7oqzK4EKeXJmFOvvRFGgF9QbsKZj7yg9SB2JR9vm05G_i1CxzhSGIkQ94rcNNFvLU8i3ef4Y5GQoAKjxnE8L6gdm_4GSspXY5mlpI3Yl6CPf-AhbGk0YuG7ZRDp3LmPZovoKFJJIhMzuUABqTqOc9KCdq9rK7X0hBC_7fsRYr0FiIsUiI6YPMBuHzhB8T5sJHUEUT=w1268-h547-no

Well I've been trying out the new update. I actually don't think much of the new road, I don't think I'll be using it much, if at all. I prefer circuits. Probably why I haven't really touched Lake Louise since the first time I had a decent go of it. I haven't learned the ring yet let alone a large section of road with multiple layouts (talking about Lake Louise here). I get that it's kinda supposed to be treated like a road, where you are just cruising and giving it some every now and again but I can't really see the point in that, I don't get immersed enough to enjoy the cruising aspect as the road itself doesn't look all that realistic. And I can't drift properly, I'd like to learn though. Anyway I digress.

Getting back to what I actually enjoy (quick race cars on a proper circuit) I've found the new update to be absolutely brilliant. And those replays! The circuits look fantastic and the backfires are beautiful now.

Great job Kunos.

I had intended on doing some more races tonight in iRacing as part of the current season but I was just exploring Assetto Corsa all night. I'll never complain about being spoilt for choice though. I'm grateful we have such brilliant options available.

Actually, the Nordschleife had the track scanned themselves and then sold the data to the devs. So AC, iRacing, and R3E all use the exact same scan data that they purchased from the track.
Thank you for sharing this information, I did not know that was the case, is this unique to the Nordschleife or is there others like that as well?

Thank you for sharing this information, I did not know that was the case, is this unique to the Nordschleife or is there others like that as well?

I don't know for sure. I've only heard of the Nords doing it but others may have done it too.

But didn't I see pictures of the Kunos staff on the Nords with the laser scanning equipment? Or am I misunderstanding something?

found this explaining the reason it is like that and also probably why it is only for the Nordschleife.

"Laser scanning the 12-mile behemoth was the responsibility of one company,listed as an official partner of the Nurburgring, and they simply sell their officially licensed laser scanned point cloud of the track to developers who have acquired the Nurburgring license for use in their racing sim. Developers interested in implementing a laser scanned version of the Nordschleife in their current racing sim project are specifically asked on the official website to contact a company named3D Mapping Solutions GmbHand purchase the point cloud from them. Obviously, each team can put their own personal touches on the thousands of trackside objects, but what you’re driving on and the immediate surroundings are identical across four very different racing sims."

found this explaining the reason it is like that and also probably why it is only for the Nordschleife.

"Laser scanning the 12-mile behemoth was the responsibility of one company,listed as an official partner of the Nurburgring, and they simply sell their officially licensed laser scanned point cloud of the track to developers who have acquired the Nurburgring license for use in their racing sim. Developers interested in implementing a laser scanned version of the Nordschleife in their current racing sim project are specifically asked on the official website to contact a company named3D Mapping Solutions GmbHand purchase the point cloud from them. Obviously, each team can put their own personal touches on the thousands of trackside objects, but what you’re driving on and the immediate surroundings are identical across four very different racing sims."

Yeah, that's what I had read. Hopefully it's getting to a point where laser scanning is becoming streamlined and cheap enough that other circuits could do the same thing. If the company that owns Brands Hatch and all those other UK circuits simracers would have a gold mine of quality British tracks.

The only thing is that, even with all this audio technology, they still can't make a really big algorythm for the sound. If you notice, the actual right audio sample is the one from chase cam and when the car is near.
In real life, the "grotesquely" sound disappears when the car goes away from the audio capture device, while in the game it is smoothed, but NEVER disappears. This is well heard in this video at Monza, when the car is close to the camera the sound is really hollow and "grotesque", while when the car gets far the sound gets closer to the 1.4 sample.

It's really hard to get the Doppler effect right in racing games. So far only GT has a realistic fade as the car moves away from you. Shame that the actual engine samples are horrific.

I wonder how the cockpit sound compares in AC and IRL.

I think it was this actually: http://www.assettocorsa.net/dreampack1/ and another I couldn't find right now. I guess I interpreted the article to mean that it was Kunos that did the scanning. It doesn't say so specifically though. It just says they worked closely together with RSR Nurburg to create it.

Ah. Well I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned in the news recently with the iRacing and R3E Nords that they were both using the same laser scan data that Kunos did and they all bought it from the track.

I was told that the original april fools was to convert the ford mustang to a paddle shifter with ecoboost and have a save the pixelised polar bears livery but it was cancelled due to the contract

Well the Japanese letters could be just a livery. The non-standard wheels could indicate there'll maybe be a S1 sort of thing.
SVX
Panda + Watanabes probably a fair given it's some sort of nod to the Initial D star.

Though, saying that, there does seem like an omission of foglights, as well as being done on a kouki. :/

Thanks to @Yauma9 for the tip.

Apologies - I was wrong here.

3CCB9F38E6374A127BE49122D71AD3D10A569EE1

Just as you said, it's a different kit for a performance model. The writing is just a livery.

I was only able to get this game to work again yesterday after 1.5.3 dropped by unticking full screen mode. It stopped working after 1.3 as well, and 1.4.... The PS4 version really can't come soon enough for me. :banghead:

The Abarth 595 SS is amazing. Despite of 35 horsepower of the stock version (there's also an S2 version, tuned to 60+ hp), it's very fun to drive, especially on the new Black Cat course. A hundred times more fun than driving a 500 in GT5/6. Only long straightaways are a bit boring, but in corners, you don't feel like this car is slow. :D
20160403034510_1.jpg

Are all of Black Cat 4 lane wide? I was hoping there would be narrower sections (like Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile).

Also, I would like Kunos to put a Ford Model T, just for laughs :lol:

Are all of Black Cat 4 lane wide? I was hoping there would be narrower sections (like Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile).

The whole thing is 4 wanes wide in all of it's layouts, unfortunately.

I'm a big fan of the update but not so much of the new track, it's OK but there is so much more potential that hasn't been used.

It is probably the worst fictional track I have played in a while. It doesnt feel natural or believable at all, neither the layout, nor the details. If I want to play such an arcade nonsense track, why should I want to do that in a sim? There are arcade racing games for that.

There's one good thing about the new track, it will be great for when I have a mate over and let him try the rig. It's nice and wide, a lot of the turns are fairly easy, and the big arrows will give him plenty of notice for the turns.

I like to let friends have a go in the rig but since most of them know nothing about sim racing or track layouts they usually struggle to get around proper circuits and I usually end up doing my best co-driver impression to help get them around. I think they'll have a much easier time getting around Black Cat County.

I don't think it's a great track for racing but I do enjoy cruising aimlessly around it, which is a nice break from the norm sometimes.

Yet to try the fictional track but pretty harsh comments from some of the biggest AC fans on GTP. :lol:

It is what it is, not everyone's cuppa. But remember they said one of their main reasons for building it was so the car manufacturers could use it at tech demos/events to let people drive the virtual version of their cars, and I think it will do that well. If you look at it as a cruise track and not a racing track it's not bad.

Seems like cars are generally more grippy now. And/or the FFB is stronger. For GT3 races I went from Fast to Green track and toned down the forces just a little bit. That feels almost like before on Fast.

FS7
Maybe Kunos should change the track name to "Black Fat Cat". Or even better, release a tight street track to go along with it.

yes, like Trento Bondone, how but wait!

Plus, there is a Zillion mod, tight street mod track already available, have you tried peyregrosse-mandagout?

So something different is not a bad idea after all, plus it is free, Black Cat is just fine as an interesting addition to AC track roster and so is the name.

It is what it is, not everyone's cuppa. But remember they said one of their main reasons for building it was so the car manufacturers could use it at tech demos/events to let people drive the virtual version of their cars, and I think it will do that well. If you look at it as a cruise track and not a racing track it's not bad.
Just tried it with a variety of cars and I don't think it's all that bad. It's a great test track like you said. Welcome addition as a test track but won't be racing/driving on it that often.

As I understand that Red Bull Ring is coming later this year, I would like/hope to see a bit of variety instead, like laser-scanned street circuits, crazy idea I know, but not impossible. At the same time, makes me wonder how much more content/years before an announcement of AC2.

Last edited:
The whole thing is 4 wanes wide in all of it's layouts, unfortunately.

I'm a big fan of the update but not so much of the new track, it's OK but there is so much more potential that hasn't been used.

Ah that's a bit disappointing. I was hoping there would be variations of wide and narrow sections at least. At least it's free so I can't complain too much...

Back