Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Thanks Brandon,

I think you are right with scanning at a low pace just to get it as accurate as possible. But if this technique is taken as the "holy grail" of trackmaking I'd asume that taking pictures wouldn't be necessary any more since the surrounding is scanned as well.

Do I understand correctly that laserscanning is infact driving with a 360 videocamera and let it be translated to digital data?

Thanks Brandon,

I think you are right with scanning at a low pace just to get it as accurate as possible. But if this technique is taken as the "holy grail" of trackmaking I'd asume that taking pictures wouldn't be necessary any more since the surrounding is scanned as well.

Laser scanning just captures points of data, size, shape, location, things like that. The data they collect looks like this, and it's only going to extend to objects in the immediate vicinity of the track (so if there's a building behind those trees it won't be able to see/scan it).

15111398394_258c014781_o.jpg

It doesn't capture the colors or textures of buildings off in the distance or the shade of grass or the colors on the rumble strips, things like that. That's why they need the additional photographs to accurately create the final details.

Do I understand correctly that laserscanning is infact driving with a 360 videocamera and let it be translated to digital data?

I believe that is correct, yes. But it's not a traditional camera, it produces images like what you see above and not a photograph. And it's actually sending lasers (frickin' lasers!! :D ) in 360 degrees and whatever those lasers bounce off of becomes data.

Again, I'm not expert, this is just what I've been able to pick up from reading the forums.

Took the new cars for a quick spin around the trusty Nordschleife.

Abarth 595 SS S2 - Absolutely hilarious! Such a weird little car, certainly quite swift as well, but you reeeeeeally need to be careful with the curbs.

Chevrolet Corvette C7 - Decent driving characteristics. The sound in typical KS fashion pretty distorted and generally just not pleasent. But like I said, the car drives decent, has quite a lot of grip. But is it just me or does the throttle seems incredibly, almost artificially sensitive? I fail to do a decent heel and toe without almost overrevving the engine, quite odd. Managed a 7:25 right from the get go, definitely a lot of room to improve.

Ford Mustang - The sound outside of the car is quite possibly the worst in the game, only sounds decently meaty in the interior view, which I actually rarely use for hot laps. Driving characteristics are fine, very SLS-ish I feel like, where you really need to nail the braking point and concentrate on the apex, otherwise it'll boat itself out of the corner. However, when you get it right, the car decent mechanical grip. Did a 7:38, as with the Corvette, quite a bit to improve, however I'd be surprised to see if an alien could get this thing even anywhere near the 7:20. Again, both times have been done with the stock setup. Cool little trivia: The Mustang has a functioning tyre pressure display inside.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the big-ass DLC advertisement banners littered all over Black Cat County. Very tacky and immersion-breaking.

Looks like we got a couple new Nurburgring layouts. 👍

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the big-ass DLC advertisement banners littered all over Black Cat County. Very tacky and immersion-breaking.

Large roadside billboard are a very common thing in America.

large-advertising-sign-highway-billboard-gantry-florida-city-usa-CYD79N.jpg
coke-billboard.jpg

Last edited:
Large roadside billboard are a very common thing in America.

I know, the part that confuses me is that it's specifically advertising future DLC for AC. They could have just used car manufacturers' logos or something as GT does with its fictional tracks, but they had to put up banners saying "hey. look at this sweet content we're going to release, get ready to open up your wallets and give us that sweet $$$!"

But then again, maybe I'm overreacting. I just feel like Kunos might be just a tad too focused on milking money out of DLC as opposed to making a better product. Hell, I bought the first three Dream Packs immediately after they launched and I'll probably do the same with the Japanese Pack :lol:

On another note, Black Cat County could use some reverse layouts. The road signs are already there for both directions, so why not?

Yep. They said so in the dev dairy. There'll be two versions of the AE86.

Can't wait to get home!

I knew the AE86 was coming, I have known that since Toyota was first announced for Assetto. What I am specifically pointing too in my previous post however, is the depiction of an AE86 on a billboard on the new track with non standard wheels and Japanese writing on the drivers side door; which is very reminiscent of the "Tofu Shop 86" from Initial D.

poster.jpg

I knew the AE86 was coming, I have known that since Toyota was first announced for Assetto. What I am specifically pointing too in my previous post however, is the depiction of an AE86 on a billboard on the new track with non standard wheels and Japanese writing on the drivers side door; which is very reminiscent of the "Tofu Shop 86" from Initial D.

poster.jpg
Well the Japanese letters could be just a livery. The non-standard wheels could indicate there'll maybe be a S1 sort of thing.

Hate to say it but I really dont like the new update much, so far. The cars are nice, but the track is totally wack imho. Looks artificial as hell and the layout is straight up arcade nonsense. 4 lane highway hairpins... Seriously? :irked: Frankly, I expected better from Kunos, this track is kinda carelessly thrown together without much attention to detail and I hate those DLC advertisements as well (same as in pcars, why advertise the game you re already playing? as immersion-breaking as things can get).

Also I m having a problem with the sounds now. The cars sound good in cockpit view (albeit way too raw, as if the exhaust tip was right beside the headrest), but in all other views the engine sound is really tinny and thin. Anybody else have that problemo?

After the update my game keeps crashing when it loads the car and the track :irked:

Check your resolution/refresh rate in the video settings, a lot of times it gets reset to 29.9hz on my PC and then kicks me back to the menu when I try to load the track. 👍

The cars are nice, but the track is totally wack imho. Looks artificial as hell and the layout is straight up arcade nonsense. 4 lane highway hairpins... Seriously? :irked: Frankly, I expected better from Kunos, this track is kinda carelessly thrown together without much attention to detail and I hate those DLC advertisements as well (same as in pcars, why advertise the game you re already playing? as immersion-breaking as things can get).

Well, luckily it was free so you can just ignore its existence and you won't be out anything. No harm, no foul. 👍

Just tried it out. Sunday will be part 1 of the review, part two the following sunday. But so far:
- That Abarth 595 is an odd car. Sounds really good, but seemingly too slow for much. I spend half the video just trying to slide it (which is does remarkably well)
- C7 and Mustang seem pretty good, not sure how I can make use of 7th though... And the Mustang sounds externally are far too artificial.
- Track is decent too, nothing incredible (I prefer Lake Louise) but it does add another place to have fun.
- New tyre physics are interesting, as are the aerodynamics
- track updates are very nice, but now I feel there is too much in the way of advertisement around them... But I like how polished they all are now!

Check your resolution/refresh rate in the video settings, a lot of times it gets reset to 29.9hz on my PC and then kicks me back to the menu when I try to load the track. 👍

Well, luckily it was free so you can just ignore its existence and you won't be out anything. No harm, no foul. 👍
just deleted assetto corsa folder in my documents, and now it works but i have to set all my settings back:rolleyes:

I guess we all got busy schedules this weekend with both AC and R3R getting major updates :D

And I only have a quarter if that much weekend to play them both :nervous:

--------------------------------

Dayum that AMG GT sounds good. Heard a few sound videos from it and I have to say they are 80% close. I have to say that Monza looks miles better and that sound reverb :drool::drool:. After reading some comments in here about the content got me on the back foot, but I hope the old revamped stuff is stratospherically good.

Those flamethrowers are much improved!

There, fixed :P. But yes they look much better compared to the flame farts they were.

Well the Japanese letters could be just a livery. The non-standard wheels could indicate there'll maybe be a S1 sort of thing.

Panda + Watanabes probably a fair given it's some sort of nod to the Initial D star.

Though, saying that, there does seem like an omission of foglights, as well as being done on a kouki. :/

Thanks to @Yauma9 for the tip.

But it's also important to note that many tracks have already been laser-scanned in order for game dev studios to implement them into the game without having to go the extra mile and fund the laser-scanning all by themselfes and simply are forced to purchase a license and essentially get access to the files of the scan. At least that's how I understand it.

Especially RSR is pretty big into laser-scanning IIRC and they have scanned the Nordschleife, Spa and some other tracks I can't think of right now.

That's how I hope laser scanning will go in the future. Each track has their own database of laser scanned data (kept up to date whenever there's layout changes or resurfacing, while also still keeping an archive of older layouts). Whenever a game dev approaches a track owner for licensing they are also free to use the laser scan data.

Otherwise at the moment there is a lot of time and effort wasted between developers to laser scan a select few popular tracks over and over, while other potentially interesting tracks are left forgotten. The Nordschleife for example has been scanned by AC, iRacing and RRRE (PCARS and Forza might as well, can't remember).

So, I'm not allowed to post this information here? :odd:

I know that it is only the first part. I'm a member of the official Assetto Corsa forum where I read all three parts. Not every GTP member looks at the GTP news page. I don't, that is why I didn't know it was on the GTP news page.

Yikes, I didn't mean that to come off as an attack at all, sorry. Just reminding that it's old info that has been posted in this thread before (albeit only a link and not a full copy paste of the whole thing - so I can see how you might have missed it).

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...etails-revealed.236693/page-143#post-11295493

Also the link to dev diary 3-3 was also posted a few posts above your post, so it's kinda odd having to scroll through that again when clearly we've moved on.

Of course you are welcome to post it again 👍 I just thought that reposting info is usually frowned upon on GTP. Also saves Jordan server money and all that :lol:

Sadly the Nordschleife laser scan is already out of date considering they repaved the Flugpatz.

That's one of my beef with laser scanning. It only takes a small thing to be changed for the whole "OMG game X's track is most accurate !!!11!!one1!!" argument to become invalid. If a track is LS, great! If not, then it doesn't make it any worse as long as the general layout and elevations are correct (like Zandvoort in AC).

sound improvements nice

I always liked AC's sounds because it feels natural and non-exaggerated. Maybe it's just youtube's compression but the 1.5 sound seems more unnatural to me. It's more brutal, but reminds me of NFS/PCARS with its exaggerated rumble.

The only thing is that, even with all this audio technology, they still can't make a really big algorythm for the sound. If you notice, the actual right audio sample is the one from chase cam and when the car is near.
In real life, the "grotesquely" sound disappears when the car goes away from the audio capture device, while in the game it is smoothed, but NEVER disappears. This is well heard in this video at Monza, when the car is close to the camera the sound is really hollow and "grotesque", while when the car gets far the sound gets closer to the 1.4 sample.

The Nordschleife for example has been scanned by AC, iRacing and RRRE (PCARS and Forza might as well, can't remember).

Actually, the Nordschleife had the track scanned themselves and then sold the data to the devs. So AC, iRacing, and R3E all use the exact same scan data that they purchased from the track.

Back