Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
As I understand that Red Bull Ring is coming later this year, I would like/hope to see a bit of variety instead, like laser-scanned street circuits, crazy idea I know, but not impossible. At the same time, makes me wonder how much more content/years before an announcement of AC2.
I'm completely with you on laser scanned street circuits. Street circuits have so much more road character than a regular circuit, and a laser scan would capture them perfectly.

Adelaide or Surfers Paradise come to mind for me, but of course I'm from Straya so I'm a bit biased in that regard.

Remember the whole point of this track is for a brand request, they wanted a casual track where you can drive around it without being a try hard for a while.

This is 100% the type of track you would see at a event or at a showroom, like that one time i went to an Audi showroom and sort them have a "real car experience", that was driveclub.

Point is to have a accurate version of the car as you generally would have in AC but then have a track that little Jimmy can drive and your aunt Bertha can drive without crashing into every wall in the track.

Oddly the feedback came in the opposite way i thought it would be, generally this community is tame from what ive seen being here for a few months, racedepartment is a warzone which accepted the track fine which was surprising and then a large majority of people here dont like it, caught me off guard thats for sure.

Anyways im not trying to get you guys to like it, ultimately 30 odd laps on each, maybe 5 races and im back at donington and brands hatch in a Ford BTCC car which you guys arent meant to know about

a533998a7e7f44800ce01b3d405af3fe.png

Its classified.

Well I've done 3 laps at the long version of Black Cat with the Mustang and I crashed a lot :lol: I didn't know what to expect from Black Cat. I like it, it's nice and chill and I don't mind the advertisement as I don't pay it enough attention I guess. But I won't be using it that much, only with my friends that can't drive on the rig.

^^And that Ford :drool: I NEED IT!!

Seems like cars are generally more grippy now. And/or the FFB is stronger. For GT3 races I went from Fast to Green track and toned down the forces just a little bit. That feels almost like before on Fast.

You're not alone in that feeling, I've also gone from Fast to Green in my time with AC this weekend, and I've noticed I'm also lowering FFB at the FFB-calibration-App thingy's suggestion more than before. Word is both are due to tires properly heating now with V7, and thus hot/sticky tires = better grip = greater forces, etc-etc.

I too have been blown away by the v1.5 update. I had higher hopes for Black Cat County, but I would never complain about something that was totally free. There's nothing inherently wrong with the layouts, and I'm not even sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't giddy after driving the three layouts. Hey...no one is forcing us to drive the layouts. As many have said, Kunos needed the BCC layouts for manufacturers that are presumably using Assetto Corsa PRO. Kunos didn't have to give us the track. I'd rather have it, seeing as it was free, than not have it at all. Who knows? In time, perhaps I'll find myself driving it more often.

I haven't gotten a lot of hours on v1.5 yet thanks to my TV deciding to die on Friday. At least I now had an excuse to get myself a 4k UHD TV. :D But, with the time I have spent on v1.5.x I really love the Tire Model v7 and it's so nice to have all the official cars on v7 tires. I don't know if the changes to aerodynamics is affecting downforce, or if it's the tires, but driving the Ferrari 458 and F40 on semi-slicks felt grippier. It could be placebo. I'll need many more laps to see if I'm improving lap times across a range of cars before I can conclusively say I'm experiencing more overall grip.

Sadly, I wasn't completely blown away with the Corvette. There was such a long wait for this car - I was so excited for this car - perhaps I created unrealistic expectations, but I don't think so. The performance numbers are fine, I guess, but I'm not in love with the interior sounds. And the throttle feels weird. Now, I don't have a clutch or stick shifter, so I'm forced to use the 'paddles' of my DFGT and that really blows when a car is designed as a standard transmission, but not all manual transmission cars feel like this Corvette does. Fortunately, I was greatly impressed with the Mustang which I found shocking. I am definitely a GM guy and not a Ford guy IRL. That 'Stang is going to be receiving many miles in the future... 👍

I'm completely with you on laser scanned street circuits. Street circuits have so much more road character than a regular circuit, and a laser scan would capture them perfectly.

Adelaide or Surfers Paradise come to mind for me, but of course I'm from Straya so I'm a bit biased in that regard.

I'm from Straya too but I would prefer Bathurst first to start off with. Other than that, Monaco and Macau because these ones have elevations where most of the other street circuits are pretty flat.

Last edited:
Sadly, I wasn't completely blown away with the Corvette
Make sure to turn TC off. :D

Edit: I had the hang at startup during "Populating Favorites" after the 1.5 update. Tried renaming my Documents/AC folder and it persisted. Removed all my mod cars and still hangs. Removing all mod tracks finally got me going. Will add them back in small batches to see which one was the problem.

Last edited:
Empty Box said the game feels more forgiving overall like it used to be in the beginning, and I can definitely agree. I spent some time driving the BMW Z4 GT3, which used to be my favourite car in the game, and it felt almost exactly like it felt two years ago in version 0.8. I think Kunos just copied and pasted the tyre model from one of their early builds and now everybody thinks it's the greatest and most advanced thing ever :sly:

Empty Box said the game feels more forgiving overall like it used to be in the beginning, and I can definitely agree. I spent some time driving the BMW Z4 GT3, which used to be my favourite car in the game, and it felt almost exactly like it felt two years ago in version 0.8. I think Kunos just copied and pasted the tyre model from one of their early builds and now everybody thinks it's the greatest and most advanced thing ever :sly:

:lol:

Well I'm in love with the update, I've already put in some 14 hours of driving since I downloaded it. My only small gripe with it is that the reverb effect is a bit overkill.

Perhaps it's just a placebo, but the update seems to have made the graphics even more realistic to me. Maybe it's just the time of day and weather settings that I'm using, but playing it at very high/ultra with 2x downsampling, there are moments were it looks incredibly real.

Well I'm in love with the update, I've already put in some 14 hours of driving since I downloaded it. My only small gripe with it is that the reverb effect is a bit overkill.

Perhaps it's just a placebo, but the update seems to have made the graphics even more realistic to me. Maybe it's just the time of day and weather settings that I'm using, but playing it at very high/ultra with 2x downsampling, there are moments were it looks incredibly real.

What time/weather settings and which track? :lol:

Last edited:

They removed the blue filter which many people got mad about

I felt the Nismo was easier/better and more fun to drive now. Took it out on Nordschleife on Green track. Felt more ... planted ... in lack of a better word.

Are the physics more, or less realistic than they were? Reading the comments here gave me the feeling AC leaped to a more friendly sim, than an hardcore one. I haven't been able to do a proper shakedown yet

I'm no expert, but with the new tire model (whether it's actually new or it just got a fresh coat of paint :P) and the aero tweaks they've made/added - I kinda want to say more realistic, v7 tires heat up nice and properly, and aero does make quite a difference now.

I used to be able to run McLaren GT3 cars around with very low aero, and they'd always stick regardless it seemed pre-v1.5. Now, in v1.5 - trying to run those same aero settings, the car is much less 'planted' and very nervous once you start pushing it.

Are the physics more, or less realistic than they were? Reading the comments here gave me the feeling AC leaped to a more friendly sim, than an hardcore one. I haven't been able to do a proper shakedown yet
Way more realistic, tyre camber is fixed, suspension archs are fixed, tyre temps actually work and with aero disruption added its beautiful for me as a modder. The game is more realistic but now i can directly throw into the files and it will spit out great results, before i had to go a crap load of calculations to compromise with it.

Having around 50 laps at brands hatch in the GT86 in reality showed me how close it was in AC.

People are complaining that its more predictable now but it should be, physics are physics, if you slap your little sibling they will cry, a month later if you do the same then you should get the same result.(dont do this, i dont recommend it, unless they mess with your racing rig)

This is mainly due to iRacing which is well known for being way harder then reality and GT3 cars are using tyres that are like Hard Group C Tyres, hence its known as IceRacing. People switching between the two will consider one more realistic to the other, the harder one is generally the better sim for whatever reason.

Im ranting sorry.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I use both iRacing and AC, and it takes a bit of time to adjust from one to the other. I still find the simulation in iRacing really, really good, there are things they do extremely well, but I think AC handles the actual physics better, once you start dancing at the grip limit of the tire.

Thank you very much for you feedback. The "reviews" in here seemed quite mixed. I have very little time to play and very little experience so hearing that it's way more realistic is reassuring. Only had a couple of laps around Magione with the Abarth 595 Essesse. Great car that.

I think v1.5 has only improved upon an already incredible driving experience. I do think some aspects of driving have gotten easier. For instance, I think driving a car up to 80% of it's limit might be easier than it was. I think the tire model is better, more predictable, camber actually doing its job, tires are heated properly, aerodynamics are better/improved adding predictability again. However, trying to push the cars toward their limits has gotten harder and I think that is definitely more realistic.

Anyone with a drivers license could drive a LaFerrari or GT3 Huracan in real life on a race track. The gas pedal and brake pedals are in the same location and they function the same way as mom's Honda Civic. The steering wheel and other components also all do the same thing as any other car. What those average people couldn't do in those cars, however, is push them like a truly skilled driver could. This is where I think Assetto Corsa has become more realistic. Like the people before me have said, for some reason there is a large subset of people who think driving difficulty equals realism. That's completely foolish! Driving is easy. It's driving very fast that's difficult. Assetto Corsa has NOT gotten any easier when trying to close the gap on your lap times versus aliens' lap times.

Likewise, while I think that driving up to 80% might be a little easier in v1.5, once you start pushing things hard if you make a mistake, I think the physics might bite you in the butt with a little bit more force then before. Again, I think this is more realistic. Slamming a steep curb at 90 mph with the car practically sideways and all unbalanced should result in disaster, not possible disaster unless you have quick hands and know how to exploit the physics engine.

I hope I've explained my thoughts on how v1.5 has improved things. Also, I just threw that 80% figure out there to use as an example. Please don't hold me to that exact percentage...

Only had a couple of laps around Magione with the Abarth 595 Essesse. Great car that.

The GVRC will be racing it in a few weeks at the newly updated Tsukuba, hope you'll join us again! 👍

I'm in the camp of "harder does not equal more realistic". I'm sure if most of us got the chance to drive a proper race car on a proper race track within our abilities we'd be shocked at how stable and planted it felt. Once you push it to that last 5% the story would change but most of us wouldn't be able to properly get it there without a lot of seat time. In a sim we are able to get to that last 5% and that's when things should start getting a bit hairy, but up to that point we should have pretty good control. Yes, iRacing can be more challenging and sometimes more challenge means more satisfaction, but that doesn't mean it's more realistic. But then again I don't think many of us have driven proper race cars near the limit so we're probably not qualified to say what is or isn't more "realistic". As long as the sim can trick my brain into thinking I'm driving a real car I'm satisfied.

I'm sure if most of us got the chance to drive a proper race car on a proper race track within our abilities we'd be shocked at how stable and planted it felt.

That reminds me of this old video, which reinforces what @ALB123 said about driving these cars being easy, to the point anyone with a license can do it, but driving them fast being a whole 'nother ball-game.

Formula renault 2.0 group B Barcelona track.

The first driver is amateur.He is not driving on the limit and the car is stable and easy to drive.

The second driver is a professional racing driver,his name is Côme Ledogar.He is five seconds faster per lap than the amateur driver and as you can see he have to make a lot of corrections with the steering wheel.

Assetto Corsa v1.5.5 hotfix now available!
1.5.5 Changelog

- MODDING: BRAKE_POWER_MULT setup option is now correctly expressed in % and can be used for modded content
- Fixed typo on Lotus 98T soft compound slipangle value
- Fixed Lotus 98T engine limiter sound for higher rev limiter than default
- Fixed bad naming on Lotus Exos S1 medium and hard heat curves
- Modified Drift cars steering lock.
- Bugfixing and optimization on Imola, Silverstone, Vallelunga, Spa, Black Cat County circuits
- Improved smoothness of AI driving style
- Improved collisions in multiplayer
- Improved AI fuel planning strategies
- Fixed tatuusfa1 at vallelunga hardcoded achievement
- Added bonnet and bumper internal/external sound switch on Volume App

Source:http://steamcommunity.com/games/assettocorsa/announcements/detail/841419792794027069

Jesus, just (for fun) decided to thrash the M235i Racing around the Nordschleife again, and by god is it fun and quick. Managed a 7:09:941 right from the get go :lol:

One of the cars that has definitely benefited from the newer tyre model.

Edit: Decided to finally try out RSR Live Timing, immediately secured myself two world records in the BMW M235i Racing on both the Nordschleife and the Tourist layout :lol:
Beat the Nordschleife time by 6 seconds and the Tourist layout record by 9 seconds :dopey:
And I just beat the Trento record by a mere 21 seconds. I love this car!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back