Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
I didn't visit the official forums much anyways, so as long as mods keep coming to RD, I won't personally notice any change.

Not to say it isn't a questionable decision though. Now to await the next 'article' where PRC spins this into a whole 'nother issue. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I've got R3E to keep exploring. :D

I didn't visit the official forums much anyways, so as long as mods keep coming to RD, I won't personally notice any change.

Not to say it isn't a questionable decision though. Now to await the next 'article' where PRC spins this into a whole 'nother issue. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I've got R3E to keep exploring. :D

Well after Kunos bought Turn 10 they got acquired by Panasonic and Bosch so the parent companies which are BP oil didnt want kunos to make mods. We believe that this is because of the obama administration. My source is like very trustworthy, he baked me a cake once.

PRC in a nutshell.

Sort of looks like this to me:
Fuji05.3a593592b9f18ad6df8af3fefbfbb3ff.png

Strongly reminds me of the final corner.

Most definitely not Fuji. T1 is downhill and does not have gravel on the inside leading up to it. Nor is Panasonic corner that tight. That is T2 at Red Bull Ring. Shame we won't be getting the new version of the track though :/

Closing the mod section seems like a weird decision to me. I mean mods are not for profit so licensing issues shouldn't arise. As for illegal rips, they are always going to exist on the internet somewhere. Just delete the threads as they pop up, no biggie. Sounds like it's a pre-emptive decision to avoid any possible issues for the console release and/or rumoured T10 merger (please god no).

Just as I'm starting to enjoy AC, this happens. With their small core team and severe lack of content AC is a game that relies on its mods to remain relevant long in the future. Modders can still regroup elsewhere but without official support it's not going to be the same. Also the official forums gives a nice, centralised place to share the newest and best quality content, instead of having to hunt a million sites like in older games.

Seems like the golden days of simracing and rFactor modding are really behind us :(

Not sure if the steering feel on a car like the Abarth would feel numb IRL. I know what you mean playing AC though, but i honestly don't think this would translate to the steering feel in the real car. Even when i drive my crappy old volvo S40 around i can feel the road surface in the rim, and any undulations and how the wheel resists and reacts when the turn angle increases. It just feels more alive and connected to the rack and the tyres and i think AMS replicates it better.

Some cars with electric power steering are ridiculously numb IRL. I used to drive an old Lancer and I can feel every bump in the road, and I've driven an Audi Q7 and it has no steering feel whatsoever unless you drive through a speed hump at full speed. So yes, there is definitely a difference between different steering mechanisms and I think this is what AC is trying to replicate. AMS being based on an older engine obviously has limitations, and all cars end up having the same FFB.

Last edited:
I knew that were 2 corners, didn't know which for sure :lol:

So now the straight is a tad longer and has that chicane and goes round to converge on the T1-T2 old straight? And how the T2 will change? They'll keep the hairpin?

I knew that were 2 corners, didn't know which for sure :lol:

So now the straight is a tad longer and has that chicane and goes round to converge on the T1-T2 old straight? And how the T2 will change? They'll keep the hairpin?

It will go around the hill in the center of the 2nd photo. So basically you go straight past T1 into the new T1 chicane. Then the track will rejoin from the left of old T2. So no more hairpin. But I would think they will add some sort of chicane or something there to slow the speeds going into T3.

Some cars with electric power steering are ridiculously numb IRL. I used to drive an old Lancer and I can feel every bump in the road, and I've driven an Audi Q7 and it has no steering feel whatsoever unless you drive through a speed hump at full speed. So yes, there is definitely a difference between different steering mechanisms and I think this is what AC is trying to replicate. AMS being based on an older engine obviously has limitations, and all cars end up having the same FFB.
We should hear from a GTP'er that owns a modern Abarth then :)

@Kamuifanboy So it's basically Osterreichring with an extra chicane before T2? Can't say I'm too happy about that. Osterreich is good without the chicanes (though speeds are probably too dangerous now). The current track is stop-start but T1 and T2 presents their own unique challenges IMO. Also I strangely love the non-straight straight between T1 & 2. Always makes for interesting car positioning for defending going into T2. I hope the new roads are just an extension and the current track is still drivable in some form.

We should hear from a GTP'er that owns a modern Abarth then :)

Well I'm not singling out the Abarth specifically. There's also a mod Cadillac 49 that has very light steering and I suspect that's built accurate to real life too.

Point I'm making is, there's probably a conscious design decision why some cars in AC have bad FFB, because not all cars do. Whereas in AMS all cars are treated as if they have a "perfect" steering mechanism.

Last edited:
@Kamuifanboy So it's basically Osterreichring with an extra chicane before T2? Can't say I'm too happy about that. Osterreich is good without the chicanes (though speeds are probably too dangerous now). The current track is stop-start but T1 and T2 presents their own unique challenges IMO. I hope the new roads are just an extension and the current track is still drivable in some form.

From what I can tell with the photos. I'd say the current version of the track will still be usable. Which I think is a good thing as it is a great layout.

From what I can tell with the photos. I'd say the current version of the track will still be usable. Which I think is a good thing as it is a great layout.
But the old Osterreichring was better, so if they go back to that i'm all for it. T1 used to be a chicane further on from where T1 was now too, and that's uphill so it always looked great from the start/finish straight seeing them go up.

140429889.jpg

Never been to PRC website before, but this article is far way from being stupid, they actually wrote something decent of which I agree.

I'm going to miss track modding more than cars. I'd rather wait and have official ones.

Why do you even visit that site? You're feeding the troll every time you go there.

I agree that 99% of the things posted there is trolling of the highest order, but just this once they make some valid points, so I feel compelled to post it here (even then I spoilered it because I know how much people hated that site).

In any case, even though I check it occasionally for kicks, I never post or participate in any discussions, so I don't think just visiting counts as feeding the trolls.

What is this Turn 10 rumor you're referring to? The one posted on PRC a couple of weeks ago? If so, Kunos has already come out and explicitly denied that rumor, going so far as to say that they've never even spoken to Turn 10 people (about any topics at all) except for like one instance quite a long time ago. I believed Stefano when he posted that denial. Are you saying there is a new rumor with actual proof to back it up?

Losing the Cars & Tracks modding forums sucks. No other way to put it. I understand that those forums were NEVER supposed to be used as WIP Showcases and Mod Distribution via links. That's fine. Well, why did they let it go on and on for over 3 years? Never once have I ever come across a single post from a mod/dev saying "Guys...this stuff isn't even supposed to be posted in this forum..."

Again, Stefano swears this has nothing to do with legal issues - actual or potential. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe him. If it's not a legal issue, however, then I can't understand why they would want to rid the forums of those topics. If moderating those areas to keep them clear of ripped content and whatever has become too much work either hire another employee to watch the forums. ****, you could probably get 4-5 college students to work as an unpaid internship who mod the forums half the day and then get to shadow other employees, or whatever, for a few hours too. They could have figured something out.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the console release has something to do with this decision. But, I'll keep those thoughts to myself - for the most part. I hope Race Department essentially just duplicates what the official forums had and even take this opportunity to improve upon it. Have an Assetto Corsa Modding Section with sub-sections:
Cars > WIPs
Cars > Q&A / Help
Tracks > WIP
Tracks > Q&A / Help
Something like that would keep things a little more organized. RD has got to be loving this. They are going to get so many more visits per month because of this.

What is this Turn 10 rumor you're referring to? The one posted on PRC a couple of weeks ago? If so, Kunos has already come out and explicitly denied that rumor, going so far as to say that they've never even spoken to Turn 10 people (about any topics at all) except for like one instance quite a long time ago. I believed Stefano when he posted that denial. Are you saying there is a new rumor with actual proof to back it up?

I think most people are just joking about it because it's a rather silly claim made by a rather silly source.

Losing the Cars & Tracks modding forums sucks. No other way to put it. I understand that those forums were NEVER supposed to be used as WIP Showcases and Mod Distribution via links. That's fine. Well, why did they let it go on and on for over 3 years? Never once have I ever come across a single post from a mod/dev saying "Guys...this stuff isn't even supposed to be posted in this forum..."

That just makes no sense though. If it wasn't supposed to be used as such then just create different sub-forums, one for posting links to mods and WIP threads and another for technical modding support and questions. RD quickly created a new sub-forum to post WIP threads, it's not a hard thing to do. Finding someone to moderate those forums shouldn't be a hard thing either.

They're posing two options, one is a purely support forum where people only talk about problems with the game. When people visit that forum and only see people talking about problems they're going to think the game is full of problems. Or you could have a forum that offers support as well as a place for people to talk about all the fun things they do with the game as well as share all the cool mods they've created for the game. When people visit that forum they see a lively community of people enjoying the game and making neat stuff for it and they will want to get involved. Seems a no-brainer to me.

An anon who comments on that PRC post hinted that AC will have Steam Workshop support soon and thus are deleting the mod section from the official forums to make sure all modders utilize it. :confused:

Announcement on that on the 17th maybe? Afterall that was the deadline for the forums to disappear. Or at least someone posted it here, on the last page.

Plus, I sensing a big pack coming soon™

Dangit, just when I was days from releasing 3 packs with 30+ Lancia Fulvia liveries, they close their darn forum. :ouch::banghead:

I really hope that steam workshop support comes soon because I cant stand RD and cant think of another good site to put my liveries up for download.

Announcement on that on the 17th maybe? Afterall that was the deadline for the forums to disappear. Or at least someone posted it here, on the last page.

Plus, I sensing a big pack coming soon™

Lord Kunos said that the closing date was just a coincidence and in hindsight they probably shouldn't have picked the same day as The Big Announcement. He also said the closing had nothing to do with legal reasons, so basically they just can't be arsed to moderate that section of the forum. I'm sure there's more behind it than that but from his responses that's the best I can gather at the moment.

Edit:
From @Aristotelis in the official forums:
As I said above, even though KS is still a very small company, we are very proud to have created a world wide brand with AC. AC has sold hundreds of thousands of copies on Steam and consoles version will bring even more. AC is mentioned on big magazines and websites articles together with historic names as Gran Turismo and Forza motorsport... this for us is something that still amaze us and makes us very proud.

Unfortunately with great powers come great responsibilities (I always dreamed to say that, yay!). Italian laws specify that on a moderated and private (i.e. need registration) forum, the owners of the forum are co-responsible for the content of the post of the forum users. We live and have our base on an amazing country, famous for its culture, art, nature and... food. But at the same time also famous for it's bureaucracy, complex law system and confusing law decisions. So when we get complains from other big titles about converted material in our forums, or when we see illegal mods in our forums, or when we are asked to make the referee between mod teams wars, stolen material, personal issues and such, then as you can see it is time for us to take action.

As you can see, it's not a matter to simply moderate, because even if we had the time to do it (we don't), we're still in a very grey area and can't deal always with it. So because of some community members behaviour and because of legal uncertainty and because of the need to do something about it, we decided to do the "bad guys".

Is our decision bad timed? Probably yes
Did we knew it would be unpopular? Certainly yes
Was it really necessary? Absolutely yes.
Could we have done it differently? Probably yes, we are not perfect, we do errors and this is something to learn from.
It is a very painful decision (your passion on this thread shows it clearly) that we had to take. I hope you can now understand better why.

Will we stop encouraging or supporting mods? ABSOLUTELY NO!

Thank you for all these years of great mod material and supporting AC. We try really REALLY hard to bring you the best and hope that our future news will alleviate a bit your frustration.

If they had just been honest and explained that from the beginning people probably would have been a lot more understanding. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back