Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Quick question chaps,

How are the Torque Physics/Power Delivery in AC? Can you actually feel when a turbo spools up or when a car is within its powerband?

I know it's there in PCars though.

I haven't tried it in AC today, but while I've been playing R3E for most the day, the Steam-overlay has worked just fine. Could it possibly be something wonky like shift-lock or you've alt+tab'd out too much? I've had issues w/ AC if I alt+tab frequently and don't go all the way back to the main screen/launch after.

The overlay doesnt work with the launcher but it should be fine with the actual game. It was causing the launcher to crash for a lot of people so they gave up with it.

The problem was ReShade, which is really odd because I've disabled it beforehand and the overlay still didn't work. Forced 32-bit in-game and it worked normally. Swapped out the normal shader files for 32-bit files and everything works as it should now.

Quick question chaps,

How are the Torque Physics/Power Delivery in AC? Can you actually feel when a turbo spools up or when a car is within its powerband?

I know it's there in PCars though.
its more predictable in AC. Im not going into whether its more realistic or not because there isnt any equation released by either dev to tell us how it works. I can personally feel it in both, i prefer the ferocity that AC provides but i dont have a lot of experience with turbocharged cars, yes ive driven several single turbo cars at brands hatch but no biturbo or twinturbo. What i can say is that both games mess up AWD physics badly, AC is fixing it, we will find out in pcars2.

Does AC simulate correct turbo setup like the real car ? For example, FD RX7, JAZ80 Supra have stock sequential turbo, while R34 GTR, R35 GTR, Z32 300ZX has parallel turbo setup.

LCuRCII.jpg

kGl1BMH.jpg

Does AC simulate correct turbo setup like the real car ? For example, FD RX7, JAZ80 Supra have stock sequential turbo, while R34 GTR, R35 GTR, Z32 300ZX has parallel turbo setup.

Yes they do. I did a couple of videos on this and the FD3S and the A80 both have sequential turbos that you can feel. Especially in the RX7, get to 4k and the turbo pressure drops, hit 5k and the second kicks in beautifully

Yes they do. I did a couple of videos on this and the FD3S and the A80 both have sequential turbos that you can feel. Especially in the RX7, get to 4k and the turbo pressure drops, hit 5k and the second kicks in beautifully

Well, the deal is almost sealed on me buying Assetto Corsa.

A 90s Subaru Impreza, Celica GT-Four, Lancer Evo, a few P2P and I'm sold.

dang, austria looks nice! how did you get your hands on that pic?!

I'll be honest, there are some let downs in Assetto Corsa. But overall it is a superb sim with lot of fun to be had! 99 episodes worth of it so far for me actually!

out of curiosity, what parts do you think are flawed? i take it you have a yt channel based on the "99 episodes"? I am massively looking forward to this game and i'd like to take a look if you have content.

The AI is definitely flawed for me. They're sort of slow and aren't that competitive and they seem to have no awareness of where the player is.

The AI is definitely flawed for me. They're sort of slow and aren't that competitive and they seem to have no awareness of where the player is.
I should do some races again, but last times i did an offline race they were fast and i had good fun. For example on max settings i can't keep up with their pace so i guess you must be close to alien territory then.

out of curiosity, what parts do you think are flawed? i take it you have a yt channel based on the "99 episodes"? I am massively looking forward to this game and i'd like to take a look if you have content.
If you come of console simcade racers this will be a revelation to you. There's no dynamic time or weather, but apart from that the physics are great, and the sounds and FFB are very good. It's only when you venture on the dark side of PC sims that AC falls short in some areas, as for example the sounds are better in R3E and the FFB is better in Automobilista.

If what you're looking for is a realistic experience, i'm sure you'll enjoy AC and it has a great online community on PC already, so i think that will carry over to consoles too.

I should do some races again, but last times i did an offline race they were fast and i had good fun. For example on max settings i can't keep up with their pace so i guess you must be close to alien territory then.
I have mine set pretty low. Any higher then I wouldn't keep up.

Video from a couple of weeks back; enjoy and then click for more!
Flawed parts:
- Some sounds
- AWD Physics are still not quite right
- AI (However, they are much much better now than before and have a lot of great race pace and brake checks are minimum)
- Career Mode. This is not so much a flaw as an incomplete system, but the console release may fix this
- FFB. Always improving but not quite there yet. Some cars feel more realistic than others, but it is improving all the time!

Video from a couple of weeks back; enjoy and then click for more!
Flawed parts:
- Some sounds
- AWD Physics are still not quite right
- AI (However, they are much much better now than before and have a lot of great race pace and brake checks are minimum)
- Career Mode. This is not so much a flaw as an incomplete system, but the console release may fix this
- FFB. Always improving but not quite there yet. Some cars feel more realistic than others, but it is improving all the time!

you know, i think the sounds are great, except for 1 thing - most just dont have that minor delay on upshifts. like every car is instant upshift and it sounds real odd on most cars. hopefully the career mode is more complete when it drops on console and the ai is tweaked. i saw those are 2 things they are working hard on.

im gonna watch that video and probably a lot more. pretty cool all the info you are chucking at us on the car in the early bit of the vid.

If you come of console simcade racers this will be a revelation to you. There's no dynamic time or weather, but apart from that the physics are great, and the sounds and FFB are very good. It's only when you venture on the dark side of PC sims that AC falls short in some areas, as for example the sounds are better in R3E and the FFB is better in Automobilista.

If what you're looking for is a realistic experience, i'm sure you'll enjoy AC and it has a great online community on PC already, so i think that will carry over to consoles too.

i am from console and the most realistic game i have is pcars. i dont have a wheel yet, but i am basically guaranteeing i will buy a t300 when AC finally comes. i have always wanted a wheel but never felt it necessary, plus for many years it wasnt really possible due to lack of space. i just dont want one for a few months with no racing games. im ok w/ no nighttime or rain as really, its not used in online much by people.

Last edited:
ffb will flat out never be perfect, thats an impossible dream to chase. kunos can request all sorts of data, they cant request "what does the steering feel like" and they dont know how its power steering or fly by wire system works. It would be horrible, people spend insane levels of money on ffb wheels only for the cars to have no ffb, it would be hell the tactical pitchforks would come out.

Back on topic though the good sims out there have car types with they are best that, automboilista works fantastic with F1, rfactor 2 nails touring cars and fwd, assetto corsa is untouchable with rwd cars, project cars is like a rbix cube which i cant solve.

They all have different methods of getting that ffb and there just isnt a best options, i dont think there ever will be, there will just be a good enough sort of effect and thats it

I have mine set pretty low. Any higher then I wouldn't keep up.
Wait, what?

you know, i think the sounds are great, except for 1 thing - most just dont have that minor delay on upshifts. like every car is instant upshift and it sounds real odd on most cars. hopefully the career mode is more complete when it drops on console and the ai is tweaked. i saw those are 2 things they are working hard on.
Which cars are you referring to with the upshifts? Many cars, like most modern street cars and modern race cars with sequential gearboxes are pretty much instant up and downshifts. Shifting manually the car will shift only as fast as you shift.

Are you certain at 4k rpm for a stock RX7 ? The boost only drop slightly/in a moment, in real car ( almost immediately increased ), but the surging power from secondary turbo can be felt easily, and it's from below 5k. Did the car hit full boost from 3k rpm ?

At least the sequential is simulated :D I used to play old NHRA game that have detailed simulation of engine + supercharger + turbos, that kind of details made it so realistic in terms of mechanical simulation that I have not seen again.

Someday I would try the RX7 on AC and see how it compares to the real car boost check :P

Last edited:
Wait, what?

Which cars are you referring to with the upshifts? Many cars, like most modern street cars and modern race cars with sequential gearboxes are pretty much instant up and downshifts. Shifting manually the car will shift only as fast as you shift.

i am not an expert by any means, and i know most cars are pretty instant these days, but i think like hte audi r8 gt3 or the mclaren p1 just sound a bit peculiar right as they shift. is it just me? it seems like right after they shift the revs just sound a bit too low w/ tone and its a bit off, at least in my opinion. however, i think th downshifts on those cars sound awesome.

edit - so you guys on pc could answer this. i was watching hte videos on the last page of the console release thread. something i noticed straight away is that it seems they have added exterior sound to the cars. in all videos i have seen of AC on pc, at least up to this point and providing they use the rare bonnet or chase cam, i noticed the sound was the exact same as interior. actually, i think the sound was the same no matter what view. is that the case that they are adding this to console and inevitably a pc update?

Last edited:
Red Bull Ring is gonna be great. AC really needs all the tracks they can get for reasonable money, hopefully console versions are popular enough to inject some more money into Kunos and allow them to get more tracks. I've heard the owners of Brands Hatch and it's sister tracks are very open to developers to include their tracks, so that could be a goldmine for Kunos.

edit - so you guys on pc could answer this. i was watching hte videos on the last page of the console release thread. something i noticed straight away is that it seems they have added exterior sound to the cars. in all videos i have seen of AC on pc, at least up to this point and providing they use the rare bonnet or chase cam, i noticed the sound was the exact same as interior. actually, i think the sound was the same no matter what view. is that the case that they are adding this to console and inevitably a pc update?

There are different sounds for exterior and interior, and I believe on a few of the views you can choose which sound you want to use.

It's great that the Red Bull Ring is coming. Fantastic circuit to drive and to race on. Sad to see that the new version of this circuit likely won't make it to Assetto anytime soon though :(

Red Bull Ring is gonna be great. AC really needs all the tracks they can get for reasonable money, hopefully console versions are popular enough to inject some more money into Kunos and allow them to get more tracks. I've heard the owners of Brands Hatch and it's sister tracks are very open to developers to include their tracks, so that could be a goldmine for Kunos.
I agree that more tracks are a big draw for console users. Personally, I think more tracks is more important than more cars, if I had to make a choice. This is one area that I'll be feeling much sympathy for console users. We PC players have access to so many additional tracks and you wouldn't believe how incredible the quality is on many of them. I guess the same could be said about the additional cars we can download. Fortunately, the cars that console players will have are awesome! There is a great mix of different classes of cars and there are many more to come from Kunos.

Regarding the discussion above about turbos, torque and power delivery -- I can attest that they have absolutely nailed the BMW M4, in my opinion. The amount of torque you feel in 2nd & 3rd gear is so accurate it's scary. Handling feels so close to the real M4 too. They did a fantastic job on those M4's.

well, i was wrong. the mclaren p1 does sound pretty damn accurate. i found a video of one going around catalunya with a go pro cam. the p1 sounds normal now, idk why i thought the upshifts sounded wrong haha.

There are different sounds for exterior and interior, and I believe on a few of the views you can choose which sound you want to use.

i see. in videos i have seen they must have just had interior cam set to each view?

Back