Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
I had completely forgotten that this game supported modding! Should be interesting!

You can quite easily increase your track count 5 fold, there's loads of high quality mods out there now. Grab some hill climbs, rally tracks, F1 circuits and other lesser known circuits from around the globe.

Same goes for cars too, there's great F1, touring, rally, drift, time attack and road cars waiting for you and even things like racing trucks if you want them.

Vision corsa. worth a shot i guess.
217.gif

No kiddies fantasy cars.... ever.

@Chameleon Keep an eye on Gumtree for force feedback wheels. Logitech DFGTs can be found for as little as $20, and are fairly often sold by adolescents that have barely used them, or by their parents wishing to get "junk" out of the way. As long as you set it up right with no clipping, one of those little battlers will give incredible bang for buck enjoyment.

@Chameleon Keep an eye on Gumtree for force feedback wheels. Logitech DFGTs can be found for as little as $20, and are fairly often sold by adolescents that have barely used them, or by their parents wishing to get "junk" out of the way. As long as you set it up right with no clipping, one of those little battlers will give incredible bang for buck enjoyment.
Well, I found a piece of garbage wheel (thrustmaster t60 :lol:) in a cupboard somewhere, so I plugged it in and it worked. One problem though... even though, its a ps3 wheel, and the pedals are indeed what AC likes to call 'axis', or pressure sensitive, when I plugged them in to the PC they come up as regular old buttons... I though "well that's dumb, I guess I will just see how well it works like this", but little did I know that AC flat out refuses to allow me to set them as throttle and brake, because they aren't axis's. Its made even more frustrating that the game allows me to play with the keyboard, and I know for a fact that the arrow keys aren't pressure sensitive, so what gives? Is it possible to change any of this and make it work?

I think the problem is because the T60 simply has no Windows support or drivers.... It is PS3 only:
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=3&fid=15&pid=360&cid=6

Normally Thrustmaster wheels need you to install drivers before they actually work properly. What you have now is something being treated as a generic game controller, but because of the lack of drivers it isn't behaving as you'd like.

There might be tricks possible with key mapping tools, maybe someone will know.

I think the problem is because the T60 simply has no Windows support or drivers.... It is PS3 only:
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=3&fid=15&pid=360&cid=6

Normally Thrustmaster wheels need you to install drivers before they actually work properly. What you have now is something being treated as a generic game controller, but because of the lack of drivers it isn't behaving as you'd like.

There might be tricks possible with key mapping tools, maybe someone will know.
Thanks for the info. When I first plugged the thing in, it did come up with an install box, so that's weird... But you do appear to be correct.

Damn, looks like I might need to find a good wheel after all...

EDIT: wow, new ones are damn expensive... :( any recommendations for a wheel below a 150$ AUD price tag? I can't see any cheap ones on gumtree.

Last edited:
Ahh these are all extremely tempting. The only thing stopping me right now is the fact that it would be annoying that it wouldn't also work on the PS4...

Well anyway, ive managed to get my game running at a pretty good rate. It usually sits around 45, but randomly dips 10 frames up or down occasionally. I used an HDMI cable to hook it up to my living room TV, and it was basically just like playing GT6, only with better physics, better sounds, and all my favourite cars (mostly lotus's).

Also, the AI destroy my CPU, which causes a bit of slowdown, except if I put the game into "gamer" mode instead of "Pro", the slowdown never happens. Not sure why. Maybe it runs on a simpler physics engine?

Well, I caved and bought AC for my laptop. Hey, it met the minimum requirements, its justified.

the frame rate is sitting at an unstable 24 FPS at the default settings, which is actually way better than I was expecting, but does anyone know if there are a few settings I can manipulate to get that a bit higher without destroying the graphics? thanks. :D

First, welcome to the wonderful world of Assetto Corsa! If you can eventually spoil yourself with a steering wheel you'll be in heaven. Assetto Corsa's force feedback is pretty much universally praised as being one of the best available for a racing sim.

Those "modes" you speak of. Those are just presets that determine the level of "realism" you're going for. If you notice on that same screen, if you select "Pro", but then you decide you actually WANT stability control turned on, you can click on stability control but you'll see the "Pro" is no longer selected. You're now in a "Custom" driving mode setting. I pretty much always drive in a Custom Mode. I set TC & ABS to "Factory". That means, if the cars has ABS or TC on the car, from the factory, then it will also have TC and/or ABS on the car I'm about to drive. Some people prefer to drive with them set to ON, which means you'll have each feature available no matter what you're driving and so on...

I play in a very similar fashion as you. My laptop is connected to a 55" Sony XBR television and I sit in a recliner about 8-9 feet away. :( It's not an ideal setup, but it works!!

A suggestion for you. I don't know how computer savvy you are, but if I were in your situation - having a laptop that just barely makes the grade to be able to run AC - I would make sure that I am running the absolute bare minimum of applications on my computer when I go to play AC. That means, kill your web browser if you can, shut down Skype or other chat programs for your driving session, and if you're really feeling frisky you could look into killing non-essential background processes too. But please don't do this unless you're 100% sure you know what you're de-activating. You can always reboot your machine when you're done playing AC, so if you've terminated some auto-run process and you don't know how to restart it manually, all hope isn't lost when you've finished your AC session. Just reboot!

Good luck and please continue asking any questions you may have. The people in these forums were absolutely wonderful in helping me get Assetto Corsa up and running the best it can. Fortunately for me, I have a pretty decent laptop (i7 cpu, 16gb ram,dual gtx 965s in sli w/8gb vram), but not everybody has a powerhouse system right now. I'm glad you're one of us now. One of us. One of us. Gooba Gabba, one of us. :D

First, welcome to the wonderful world of Assetto Corsa! If you can eventually spoil yourself with a steering wheel you'll be in heaven. Assetto Corsa's force feedback is pretty much universally praised as being one of the best available for a racing sim.

I play in a very similar fashion as you. My laptop is connected to a 55" Sony XBR television and I sit in a recliner about 8-9 feet away. :( It's not an ideal setup, but it works!!

A suggestion for you. I don't know how computer savvy you are, but if I were in your situation - having a laptop that just barely makes the grade to be able to run AC - I would make sure that I am running the absolute bare minimum of applications on my computer when I go to play AC. That means, kill your web browser if you can, shut down Skype or other chat programs for your driving session, and if you're really feeling frisky you could look into killing non-essential background processes too. But please don't do this unless you're 100% sure you know what you're de-activating. You can always reboot your machine when you're done playing AC, so if you've terminated some auto-run process and you don't know how to restart it manually, all hope isn't lost when you've finished your AC session. Just reboot!

Good luck and please continue asking any questions you may have. The people in these forums were absolutely wonderful in helping me get Assetto Corsa up and running the best it can. Fortunately for me, I have a pretty decent laptop (i7 cpu, 16gb ram,dual gtx 965s in sli w/8gb vram), but not everybody has a powerhouse system right now. I'm glad you're one of us now. One of us. One of us. Gooba Gabba, one of us. :D
Thanks for the info, and the welcome! I have been making sure to close as many things as possible going into AC, but I haven't dared close any of the background programs yet in fear of messing something up. And that's one beefy laptop you got there! I thought mine was pretty powerful... :lol: :cheers:
Those "modes" you speak of. Those are just presets that determine the level of "realism" you're going for. If you notice on that same screen, if you select "Pro", but then you decide you actually WANT stability control turned on, you can click on stability control but you'll see the "Pro" is no longer selected. You're now in a "Custom" driving mode setting. I pretty much always drive in a Custom Mode. I set TC & ABS to "Factory". That means, if the cars has ABS or TC on the car, from the factory, then it will also have TC and/or ABS on the car I'm about to drive. Some people prefer to drive with them set to ON, which means you'll have each feature available no matter what you're driving and so on...
I had figured as such, but what I meant was for some reason my computer doesn't slow down at all when the "gamer" mode in on (with AI), but it slows down a bunch (and shoots me warnings) when I'm on "pro".

It doesn't slow down at all when I'm hotlaping by myself, which is where I will mostly be, but it certainly is odd...

I had figured as such, but what I meant was for some reason my computer doesn't slow down at all when the "gamer" mode in on (with AI), but it slows down a bunch (and shoots me warnings) when I'm on "pro".

It doesn't slow down at all when I'm hotlaping by myself, which is where I will mostly be, but it certainly is odd...
Hmm...That's interesting that game modes impact your performance. But hey, at least you know how to set it to get the best performance that you can. Assetto Corsa has a built in benchmarking utility. It's in the main settings section, I think where all the graphical settings are, but I don't have AC running right now, so please don't quote me on that. :D
It runs a single lap around Spa, but with several cars on the track, so maybe you won't be able to run it very well. Anyway, if you can, it's a good way to see what settings help improve performance and which hurt. It saves the results in your Documents folder, just in case you forget the results and are trying to compare. Maybe you run the benchmarking utility with AA turned up quite a bit but FXAA is turned off. Then you run the utility again with AA very low but FXAA turned on. Compare the results to see which gives you better results. I just used those two settings for a quick example. Obviously, if you run this utility you'll choose the settings you want to compare.

As far as my laptop goes, I specifically bought this laptop with only one thing in mind: Running Assetto Corsa as best as I can, but it's also a general use laptop. My laptop arrived by FedEx October 2nd, 2015 and I was running Assetto Corsa that day. I wasted no time at all. :D Since that day I have NEVER turned my PS3 back on and played GT6. Not once. I was hooked. Still am...

@brownninja97 - thanks for sharing that tweet regarding the upcoming Dream Pack. My inference is similar to yours. This is going to be a race car dominated Dream Pack. And I think that's great! I know there was a fair amount of complaining on the official forums from people who claim they don't use or want street cars in DLC packs. Personally, I think it's wrong to make a Dream Pack that contains only one type of car. Make the next Dream Pack race focused, but include at least one street car...and make it a GOOD one.

There are going to be people who say "I only drive/race the street cars..." and they very well might skip a race car exclusive pack. However, if you throw in the Ferrari 488 GTB in that pack, well...how can you pass on that car? Some people might find that a bit scummy, but I think it's just good business. Maybe you do two cars and the rest race cars. And then you do the opposite with the next pack. At least a couple of race cars...and so on. Fortunately for us players Kunos seems to be the most generous freakin' company ever. They probably would never consider doing what I suggested -- I mean, $4.99 for the Japanese Pack?!?! :crazy: Are they insane?! $9.99 would have been remarkably fair to us players. $4.99 is just...I don't know what to call it. :lol:

There are going to be people like me who buy all the Dream Packs no matter the content. It's a way to support the company I admire and love and who knows? I'm bound to eventually appreciate and enjoy cars in the DLC that I initially thought I wouldn't. It's happened every pack so far, for me.

Hmm...That's interesting that game modes impact your performance. But hey, at least you know how to set it to get the best performance that you can. Assetto Corsa has a built in benchmarking utility. It's in the main settings section, I think where all the graphical settings are, but I don't have AC running right now, so please don't quote me on that. :D
It runs a single lap around Spa, but with several cars on the track, so maybe you won't be able to run it very well. Anyway, if you can, it's a good way to see what settings help improve performance and which hurt. It saves the results in your Documents folder, just in case you forget the results and are trying to compare. Maybe you run the benchmarking utility with AA turned up quite a bit but FXAA is turned off. Then you run the utility again with AA very low but FXAA turned on. Compare the results to see which gives you better results. I just used those two settings for a quick example. Obviously, if you run this utility you'll choose the settings you want to compare.

As far as my laptop goes, I specifically bought this laptop with only one thing in mind: Running Assetto Corsa as best as I can, but it's also a general use laptop. My laptop arrived by FedEx October 2nd, 2015 and I was running Assetto Corsa that day. I wasted no time at all. :D Since that day I have NEVER turned my PS3 back on and played GT6. Not once. I was hooked. Still am...
OK, tried it out, and previously i had put track details down to the absolute minimum setting. I decided to see what would happen if I tried it at max, and... no performance difference whatsoever... I tried it on a different track by myself, and again, zero difference. very strange. I seriously thought this setting was what was keeping my frames high. Oh well, I suppose its a good thing. :D

Also, I started delving into the whole modding thing. Found a couple of good ones (Vanquish, 570s, 288GTO, 250GTO and mount panorama). I am actually genuinely surprised at the quality of them, its as if they were part of the game to begin with. 👍

Also, I started delving into the whole modding thing. Found a couple of good ones (Vanquish, 570s, 288GTO, 250GTO and mount panorama). I am actually genuinely surprised at the quality of them, its as if they were part of the game to begin with. 👍

There are really top notch mods out there. Usually download the mods (cars,tracks,skins...etc) from Race department.
Circuit of the Americas was the only mod downloaded from Assetto Corsa Club.

The modding bug :dopey:

If you want full PS4 support then the T80 (bungee cord, no FFB) is the cheapest of all.
The T150 is the cheapest 900 degrees wheel with FFB and full PS4 support.

The T100 is supported in game on some PS4 games.

If you let go of PS4 support and focus on PC only, a second hand DFGT is the best cheap option by miles.

Back