Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 137,836 comments
Tonight's progress. One question, on the items I paint black, can I go full 100% black or do I have to drop the opacity (or fill?) on the layer down to say 95% so some of the details underneath come through?

View attachment 315806

Not sure what program you're using but adjusting your "overprint/knockout" settings may help help lower layers to show through. Or that may have no relevance at all to this process, I don't know. It works in printing though.

Not sure what program you're using but adjusting your "overprint/knockout" settings may help help lower layers to show through. Or that may have no relevance at all to this process, I don't know. It works in printing though.
Photoshop CS6, and I'm no expert at using it either.

I just left the black stuff at 95% opacity and it worked out ok. Loaded it up to the game and took it for a test run to snap an in-motion photo. Still have to get the front windshield banner lined up correctly, figure out how to finish the sides of the rear bumper and also get it to line up correctly, and figure out how to change the name on the side windows. Edit: Oh, and paint the wheels black if possible.

One effect I noticed on this car is that in-game the doors don't line up the same as they do in the template so there's a small shift in the livery when it crosses a door line.

nismo_btcc.jpg

Last edited:
I should have this livery, as well as one based on it available tonight for download. I'm still trying to figure out a couple items and if I can't get them sorted, I'll just post it without them. First, I got the wheels painted black, but can't seem to get them to stay that way in motion. And second, I can't seem to figure out how to change the name on the side windows. A couple people were trying to help me on the AC forums, but I just can't get a straight answer (and in dummy terms since I'm a newb).

And I might start my own thread once I start pumping these out. Have A LOT more plans for the Primera in the form of V8 Supercar liveries! :)

Also, the other livery that will be available is based on the car below, since it was super easy to convert the red scheme over to blue, delete a few sponsor decals, add a few more.....it's ready to go.

11021552_10153086191733427_2474273391487318486_o.jpg

I should have this livery, as well as one based on it available tonight for download. I'm still trying to figure out a couple items and if I can't get them sorted, I'll just post it without them. First, I got the wheels painted black, but can't seem to get them to stay that way in motion. And second, I can't seem to figure out how to change the name on the side windows. A couple people were trying to help me on the AC forums, but I just can't get a straight answer (and in dummy terms since I'm a newb).

And I might start my own thread once I start pumping these out. Have A LOT more plans for the Primera in the form of V8 Supercar liveries! :)

Also, the other livery that will be available is based on the car below, since it was super easy to convert the red scheme over to blue, delete a few sponsor decals, add a few more.....it's ready to go.

11021552_10153086191733427_2474273391487318486_o.jpg
Do you take requests? I'd like a livery based on my business. I could send you the logo files we have.

Opinions?

I'll take an updated version of the Supra if it's available. I have to give it a real wringing out and see what it'll do. It's so challenging to get the power down in the lower gears and dat turbo sound:sly:

It sounds like the gear change sound has been swapped for the blow off sound and that's why the timing seems wrong. Also I think I heard it blow off when hitting the limiter which also should not happen.
Otherwise it sounds good.

The Supra model is ripped from Forza. The devs forbid ripped models on the official site. I guess they don't punish players for using them in game, and I've seen some people driving them online. But I usually avoid installing them, however, I stick to the rule "If you want it so much, then do". If there is a car or track very attractive to me (like Nissan Silvia S13 or Sochi Autodrom) and the quality (handling, etc) is good, but it's converted, I use it. But if a scratch-made verion appears, I'll replace it.

..............The devs forbid ripped models on the official site.................

I'm a bit unclear why on the AC site that 3-dimensional intellectual property infringement is forbid but 2-dimensional infringement (copy and paste of trademarked logos onto skins) is not. Any insights into why that is the case?

Last edited:
I'm a bit unclear why on the AC site that 3-dimensional intellectual property infringement is forbid but 2-dimensional infringement (copy and paste of trademarked logos onto skins) is not. Any insights into why that is the case?
I have wondered the same thing and gave up trying to figure it out. It doesn't make sense to me at all. I always hear you need permission to add this or that from the original source, but they don't own the content (track or car license) or have the permission of the owner of the content to give that permission. Its like they don't want to step on toes in the gaming industry, but the hell with the real owners of the content. Its all stolen if it isn't a licensed product.

I have wondered the same thing and gave up trying to figure it out. It doesn't make sense to me at all. I always hear you need permission to add this or that from the original source, but they don't own the content (track or car license) or have the permission of the owner of the content to give that permission. Its like they don't want to step on toes in the gaming industry, but the hell with the real owners of the content. Its all stolen if it isn't a licensed product.

Thanks for the comments. It's interesting to me that on the AC Official Site they are running a "Livery Contest" where the "Winners" will get their livery (artwork) added into the official game content. Almost all of these livery entries contain copyrighted or trademarked logos, so I am assuming that AC will need to request permission from the trademark owner(s) if they select one for the game.

I think I can somewhat understand this, but can't put it into words. Manufacturers probably don't mind their logo appearing and giving them free publicity, as long as nobody is profiting from it. However, Kunos probably wants to discourage the act of ripping off other game developers assets and having them appear in their game because it wouldn't do them any favors in the industry. Also, I've driven a few "ripped" cars and every one of them kinda sucked, so maybe Kunos doesn't want those crappy cars representing their game.

I don't think the actual content is the issue as any scratch-made car or track equally infringes on the IP of the car manufacturer or track owner, so it must be more about how the content is created. I would guess most liveries qualify as scratch-made, even if the actual logo is just copied/pasted into the creation program. Plus, it's probably somewhat difficult to determine if a livery was ripped from another game. If a Forza livery matches the real-world livery perfectly and an AC livery suddenly appears that also matches the real-world livery perfectly, how could you tell if it was ripped from Forza?

Or all of that could be completely wrong, who knows. It's a murky area, I try to stay on the "proper" side of it but sometimes it's difficult to tell which side that is.

.......................Manufacturers probably don't mind their logo appearing and giving them free publicity, as long as nobody is profiting from it.............

Yes I would think that is the case............however...........right now in the AC Forums Livery Contest there are some really fantastic entries that the author has pasted Trademarked Logos on their car(s). The Entrant has created a hyperlink link associated with their entry that leads you to a file download page that contains Pay-Per-Click ads......so somebody is profiting in that case, if not the author, than the owner of the download website. On the subject of copying real world cars and tracks...... I think in the US, if you apply for intellectual property protection (patents) .....they last for 17 years and cannot be extended, so by law you may have a legal ability to imitate "3-Dimensional embodiment's" after that period.

I wonder if someone pastes a Coca-Cola add and Pepsi Ad on the same virtual car that those folks might have an issue? Heck, theyt don't even allow their beverages to be sold in the same cooler at the convenience store here in the US......

The Entrant has created a hyperlink link associated with their entry that leads you to a file download page that contains Pay-Per-Click ads......so somebody is profiting in that case, if not the author, than the owner of the download website.

That's an indirect profit, they're actually profiting on visits and not the content itself. If this was a concern, pretty much no images of any intellectual property could appear on any webpage anywhere on the net. GTP has pay ads and there are plenty of pictures of cars, logos, Space Ghosts, and who knows what else on here, it's a giant loophole. So this gets a pass.

Now if I was charging somebody for the privilege of downloading a car/livery I made with McLaren's logos on it, that would be a no-no because I would be directly and intentionally profiting from the sale of someone else's IP. URD, for example, gets around this by calling their cars Darche or Venom instead of Porsche and Viper. PD gets away with having Monaco the same way, using a different name and a slightly altered layout.

It's a very grey area, a lot of people use the disclaimer that some logos and brands are IP of the owner, and for a lot of brands it's ok, others don't allow that.

I use real branding logos on my liveries, since they are just a copy of a real car. Didn't really know it was a big deal since I'm not selling them. In reality I'm just making them for myself and deciding to share with other AC players. If it comes down to it and AC has an issue with it, I'll just stop sharing them.

I use real branding logos on my liveries, since they are just a copy of a real car. Didn't really know it was a big deal since I'm not selling them. In reality I'm just making them for myself and deciding to share with other AC players. If it comes down to it and AC has an issue with it, I'll just stop sharing them.

I've never seen anyone raise issues with liveries, just cars/tracks from other games that were ripped/converted without permission.

I did a quick Google search on use of logos and here's a few things that stood out to me:

-"U.S. trademark law ........ provides for a non-owner of a logo registered as a trademark to make fair use or “nominative use” without prior permission from the trademark owner."
-"The rights of the logo owner...........are not absolute."
-"Actual findings of infringement are left to the courts."
-"Nike does not grant permission to use or modify trademarks, logos, images, advertising or similar materials. It's your responsibility to determine whether your proposed use is legally permissible. For example, some uses of Nike logos in a textbook may be considered “fair use."

So in the case of Nike, I take that to mean that Nike won't tell you whether you can use their logo or not. But if you do use it, be prepared to defend yourself if they "come a knockin".........:eek:

Yes, it's a very gray area...........

Based on THIS it really seems like their main concern is ripping content from competitor's games and not so much the use of the brand/logo/image of companies. As long as Kunos isn't directly profiting from it, I'd guess most manufacturer's wouldn't mind a bit of free advertising. But I could certainly see other game developers getting rather cross if the cars/tracks they worked so hard to model suddenly show up in another game without permission, even if nobody is profiting from it.

This may not be a perfect analogy, but look at it like this: I own a restaurant that serves a very, very delicious :drool: steak. If the owner of another restaurant wears a t-shirt with my logo on it I probably wouldn't have much problem with that as it would be free advertising to clientele who are obviously in the market for my services/products. But, if they bought one of my delicious :drool: steaks and then served it in their restaurant and claimed it as their own, I'd have a problem with this and so would the law. Again, probably not a perfect analogy, but that's kind of the way I interpret it.

This may not be a perfect analogy, but look at it like this: I own a restaurant that serves a very, very delicious :drool: steak. If the owner of another restaurant wears a t-shirt with my logo on it I probably wouldn't have much problem with that as it would be free advertising to clientele who are obviously in the market for my services/products. But, if they bought one of my delicious :drool: steaks and then served it in their restaurant and claimed it as their own, I'd have a problem with this and so would the law. Again, probably not a perfect analogy, but that's kind of the way I interpret it.
A better analogy would be if they stole one of your steaks and sold it as one of their own.

Based on THIS it really seems like their main concern is ripping content from competitor's games and not so much the use of the brand/logo/image of companies. As long as Kunos isn't directly profiting from it, I'd guess most manufacturer's wouldn't mind a bit of free advertising. But I could certainly see other game developers getting rather cross if the cars/tracks they worked so hard to model suddenly show up in another game without permission, even if nobody is profiting from it.

I don't know if it's simple like that, remember PCars didn't put real logos in the liveries, not even tires.
Why? I don't know, cause i see a lot of people using other's logos without a problem.

Pcars has some real liveries on licensed cars. But they cant use without permission, cause they are making profit out of it.

And still, users can, and will make liveries on the PC, with real logos.

Yes, i know, but most of the cars have "fake" sponsors, even if a lot of liveries look great. I remember see the oreca nissan, aston martin 007 and a lot more cars with real sponsors.
I don't understand, even if one company it's making profit, why the brand's don't allow it, its free advertising.
I understand the licenses of car's, but logos of racing or other brands...
I think in this case it's more PR work, if i was owner of a brand, i will be glad to see it free in a video game.

So is it free for the owners or the dev's are trying to make some money from adertising?

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back