Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 137,835 comments
Yes, i know, but most of the cars have "fake" sponsors, even if a lot of liveries look great. I remember see the oreca nissan, aston martin 007 and a lot more cars with real sponsors.
I don't understand, even if one company it's making profit, why the brand's don't allow it, its free advertising.
I understand the licenses of car's, but logos of racing or other brands...
I think in this case it's more PR work, if i was owner of a brand, i will be glad to see it free in a video game.

So is it free for the owners or the dev's are trying to make some money from adertising?
When you have a brand it has value and you protect it, you can't let just anyone use it without telling them how they can use it and ensuring it'll be used in a way that is positive for your product.
And in the glorious capitalist society in which we live, if you're going to make money on a product with my logo in there somewhere, I want to be compensated for that.

I don't know if it's simple like that, remember PCars didn't put real logos in the liveries, not even tires.
Why? I don't know, cause i see a lot of people using other's logos without a problem.

But that's the developer using the intellectual property and then making profit from it. They need express written legal permission to do that, much like you can play a baseball game telecast on your tv and have your friends over for beer and chicken wings but you cannot charge people to watch the game on your tv unless you have written permission to do so (per the disclaimer on every MLB telecast). Third party modders who create a livery/car/track from scratch and then release it to the public free of charge is like showing the baseball game on a giant screen in a huge field where everyone gets to watch for free (with free beer and chicken wings).

It's for sure a gray area and none of us will ever know for sure, and there's really not much point in arguing/debating about it. Every company has different rules for the fair use and protection of their IP, and it's within their right to make their own rules. I mean, Porsche has decided that their IP can only be used in some of the crappiest racing games in recent history, that shows you how convoluted the whole thing can be. Personally, I don't care one way or the other but I've chosen to play by the rules set forth by Kunos which states they don't want cars/tracks in AC that were "illegally" ripped from another game. Since they don't mention anything about liveries or company logos being on the no-no list I'll continue to happily enjoy them.

:cheers:

I understand some points, like some people using brands in ways that could damage the brand image, but in this case it's free pub, they pay to put it in real car's and tracks.
1960760_1087198527973131_2546495773164654857_o.jpg

Like i said before, i think with a PR work they could have a lot of brands for liveries, without paying.

Last edited:
Audi A4 DTM 2004 by United Racing Development is released. This time, it's a free mod by URD.
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/audi-a4-r9-by-unitedracingdesign.10053/

Yes, gave it a go earlier today.........great sound!

I understand some points, like some people using brands in ways that could damage the brand image, but in this case it's free pub, they pay to put it in real car's and tracks.
1960760_1087198527973131_2546495773164654857_o.jpg

Like i said before, i think with a PR work they could have a lot of brands for liveries, without paying.

Free pub or not, If the virtual driver of this car went into a track online and started dive bombing apexes, and generally bullied their way around a circuit, that's not the kind of pub I'd want my brand to get.........:lol:

Yes, gave it a go earlier today.........great sound!

Free pub or not, If the virtual driver of this car went into a track online and started dive bombing apexes, and generally bullied their way around a circuit, that's not the kind of pub I'd want my brand to get.........:lol:

But that could happen in licensed content, and you couldn't do anything.

Can anyone tell me, if I have absolutely zero experience with 3D modeling, should I even consider trying to make my own track or am I just dreaming? Is is really that hard? And where do I start?

I don't know if you've tried Barbagallo, but the guy who made it (who I'm pretty sure had prior 3d experience) said it took him over 1000 hours to model. And Barbagallo isn't a very long track.

It can be done, obviously, but with no prior experience I'd guess it would take you a year or more to learn and then model something decent.

I can't say if it's necessarily "hard", but I can say for certain it isn't easy. Commitment/free time are the biggest factors I'd say.

Blender is a free 3D software suite that some folks use to make tracks. www.blender.org

Here's a Blender tutorial for AC track making that should give you an idea as to what's involved.

Something about ripped content: I've seen a discussion on the official forum, about one of the modders ('Rafael Malagoli') and his Supra Mk3 mod. People say, the ripped content is not allowed to display on the official forum, but no one is stopping you from using it if you found it somewhere else. The real reason for you not to install them is because most of them are crappy made and have disgusting physics (as conversion process is a quite easy job). But not all. In 'Malagoli's Garage' (https://malagoligarage.wordpress.com/), almost all mods (except for Chevrolet Monza and Opel Ascona) are conversions, but have good physics and are fun to drive, because the modder actually works beyond just converting.
In the end, the ripped model thing comes down to the official forum rules - it's just not allowed here. But as others have said, nothing is stopping you from using what's out there. Personally, I drive Malagoli's cars because the physics are given attention and the cars end up feeling realistic. The payware rips with crap physics don't get anywhere near my game and charging for ripped content is just wrong. I love Malagoli's civics though ;)

The discussion: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/toyota-supra-2-0-twinturbo-ga70.19942/
No one seems to have got repressed by the forum staff for this. :rolleyes:

As for me, I have the following conversions installed:

Malagoli's cars (Ferrari F355 F1, SuperGT mod, Civic EG6 (stock and racing versions), Civic EK9, Supra A70);
Nissan Silvia S13 with physics made by my friend
BMW M5 E39 (physics seem good)
Sochi Autodrom (I guess it's converted from F1 2014).

The real reason for you not to install them is because most of them are crappy made and have disgusting physics (as conversion process is a quite easy job). But not all.
You should have written: " The real reason for me ... "
The reason for me is a matter of respecting others intellectual property regardless of how well the unauthorized conversion (aka theft) was done.

Something about ripped content: I've seen a discussion on the official forum, about one of the modders ('Rafael Malagoli') and his Supra Mk3 mod. People say, the ripped content is not allowed to display on the official forum, but no one is stopping you from using it if you found it somewhere else. The real reason for you not to install them is because most of them are crappy made and have disgusting physics (as conversion process is a quite easy job). But not all. In 'Malagoli's Garage' (https://malagoligarage.wordpress.com/), almost all mods (except for Chevrolet Monza and Opel Ascona) are conversions, but have good physics and are fun to drive, because the modder actually works beyond just converting.

The discussion: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/toyota-supra-2-0-twinturbo-ga70.19942/
No one seems to have got repressed by the forum staff for this. :rolleyes:

As for me, I have the following conversions installed:

Malagoli's cars (Ferrari F355 F1, SuperGT mod, Civic EG6 (stock and racing versions), Civic EK9, Supra A70);
Nissan Silvia S13 with physics made by my friend
BMW M5 E39 (physics seem good)
Sochi Autodrom (I guess it's converted from F1 2014).
Can't agree more with @CC570 . We are on our honour here and if we encourage others to steal content from other games so we can use it, it doesn't send a good message to the game developers nor encourage them to make more high quality content of their own if we are filling our games with free, stolen content. It's a choice we all have to make and I've chosen not to use any mods that are used without permission. That's my real reason.

All add on cars in AC, or any car in AC, as far as I know, uses the same basic physic, from the so called K car physic template. So being a scratch made or a conversion will not affect the way it drives. Entering valid data in the lut files and the ini files is what make the difference. so at the end the knowledge and efforts put into the physic will determine how well it drives and how accurate the simulation is. How the 3d model looks like is irrevelant on that aspect.
Using someone else work without explicit authorization from the original person who did the work is wrong, trying to make personnal profit of it, is even worst.

All add on cars in AC, or any car in AC, as far as I know, uses the same basic physic, from the so called K car physic template. So being a scratch made or a conversion will not affect the way it drives.

Could be, but I know that I've tried three or four "ripped" cars and every one of them felt rather crappy to drive. Probably because no effort was put into making them feel proper.

Last edited:
. Probably because no effort was put into making them feel proper.

Exactly, the same lack of effort in not making them from scratch, since converting is fairly easy in comparison, is also not present in modifying the physics files from the K car to have an accurate and pleasant simulation.
There is exceptions, but overall the scratch made 3D also get a better physic treatment.
With a little patience and efforts, any of them can be made very nice to drive as long as the data file has not been compressed and it is a model you have a particular interest in.

@CC570 @Johnnypenso
I understand your opinions, and, as I've said before, I avoid installing them just for quantity (my game would be full of rubbish if I did). However, there is a good use of them: some people work on their physics (like my friend with S13 and F355 and a guy in this thread working on a Supra), gain skills and then help other modders who are good at 3D modelling but have no clue about making driving physics.

Anyway, somehow it feels not so good to drive a 'stolen' car, and the more of legal content comes into the game, the more of illegal content I don't need anymore and remove. Now, the Dream Pack and the 1.1 update (that makes many mod cars unable to work) is a good occasion to delete all ripped models. I also found out that the Sochi Autodrom is not a rip, it's made for rFactor and converted to AC. So, I think my game is clean of illegal content now.

BTW, finally a legal JDM classic released: Nissan 180SX Type X.
DC66B0AC72A8876CC0E1CD39E5AA2BBB24AA1B89

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/nissan-180sx-type-x-kouki.20451/

AC keeps crashing whenever I try to use any of the mods I have installed, I haven't played in awhile, but they worked prior to the 1.1 update.. For example, last night I selected the NSX and tried to drive it on Silverstone, the game crashed and I receive any error message "ASCS.exe has stopped working", the game crashes and goes back to the AC menu screens...

AC keeps crashing whenever I try to use any of the mods I have installed, I haven't played in awhile, but they worked prior to the 1.1 update.. For example, last night I selected the NSX and tried to drive it on Silverstone, the game crashed and I receive any error message "ASCS.exe has stopped working", the game crashes and goes back to the AC menu screens...
Those cars have to be fixed. Some modders have already released fixes for their cars, but some haven't. But you can do it yourself (doesn't work for all cars, but works on the NSX): open the <car_folder>\data\aero.ini file and delete the entire [DATA] section in it.
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/honda-nsx-1991-beta2.15200/page-37

The best mod I have are forza ripped cars. Call me crazy, but I paid for those cars multiple times over in forza so I have no problem driving them in ac. I'm talking the vintage trans am cars if anyone is wondering.

I wonder how mods relate physics wise. If you have ripped forza cars they have the FM physics too no? And the ones build from scratch are dependent on the builder, or does the AC toolkit also have an influence on it? (As you can see i don't have a clue :dopey:).

I wonder how mods relate physics wise. If you have ripped forza cars they have the FM physics too no? And the ones build from scratch are dependent on the builder, or does the AC toolkit also have an influence on it? (As you can see i don't have a clue :dopey:).
It's just the meshes I believe, might be sound too.

They have physics of there own. The guy that ripped the cars redid the physics and balanced the cars out pretty well for racing. Only thing forza are the models. To his credit though he does say the models are from turn 10 in the Read me that came with them. They're one of the best mods I've driven Especially if your into vintage trans am and or muscle cars.

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back