Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 137,834 comments
These look like some payware mods that I'd be willing to try. Not sure if using the name "Porsche" and selling/donating to get them for profit is OK though......:(

http://www.assettocars.net/

I wouldn't. Some staff members on RD were talking about these guys and most/all of these cars are ripped from other games and then being sold as payware which is ultra shady and I'm sure highly illegal. URD is the only legit payware and the cars I've tried are well worth the money.

I wouldn't. Some staff members on RD were talking about these guys and most/all of these cars are ripped from other games and then being sold as payware which is ultra shady and I'm sure highly illegal. URD is the only legit payware and the cars I've tried are well worth the money.
You sure they were ripped seeing they look incredible and no other games have Porsches? Or are they ripped from NFS? :D

You sure they were ripped seeing they look incredible and no other games have Porsches? Or are they ripped from NFS? :D

You think any group of modders could create that many cars? :sly: I don't know where they all came from, but I know that group is banned from posting mods on RD because they rip content. If it seems to good to be true......

You think any group of modders could create that many cars? :sly: I don't know where they all came from, but I know that group is banned from posting mods on RD because they rip content.
Maybe it's a 3D modeling sweatshop somewhere in China. The Chinese have experience in ripping off car designs already ;)

OK, if they are, I won't buy. Do you have a source for confirmation?

Here's a thread on Steam talking generally about ripped content and using assettocars.net as an example. http://steamcommunity.com/app/244210/discussions/0/627456486611638358/?insideModal=1

Edit: To be clear, using ripped mods is a personal preference and if you want to use them feel free. It's frowned upon by the developers, racedepartment, and the community in general which is why some of us are quick to point out ripped cars (also, the few I've tried all handled/drove terribly) but that doesn't mean we're telling you not to use them. I would, however, strongly advise against paying for ripped mods because 1. it's blatantly illegal B. since ripped cars generally don't feel nearly as good as proper AC/scratch-built cars you likely will regret parting with that cash.

Last edited:
Here's a thread on Steam talking generally about ripped content and using assettocars.net as an example. http://steamcommunity.com/app/244210/discussions/0/627456486611638358/?insideModal=1

Edit: To be clear, using ripped mods is a personal preference and if you want to use them feel free. It's frowned upon by the developers, racedepartment, and the community in general which is why some of us are quick to point out ripped cars (also, the few I've tried all handled/drove terribly) but that doesn't mean we're telling you not to use them. I would, however, strongly advise against paying for ripped mods because 1. it's blatantly illegal B. since ripped cars generally don't feel nearly as good as proper AC/scratch-built cars you likely will regret parting with that cash.

That link is a good read, thanks! I am still unclear about the legalities of digitally reproducing the aesthetics of real cars for the virtual world. 99% of whats done on the AC official site does just that. If a product in the US has a design patent on it's aesthetic styling, I always understood that you cannot reproduce those aesthetics in any manner without permission. But it seems like it's universally accepted that it's OK to reproduce the likeness of a physical object original work (Porsche 996 styling) for the virtual world without the need to get permission:confused:

That link is a good read, thanks! I am still unclear about the legalities of digitally reproducing the aesthetics of real cars for the virtual world. 99% of whats done on the AC official site does just that. If a product in the US has a design patent on it's aesthetic styling, I always understood that you cannot reproduce those aesthetics in any manner without permission. But it seems like it's universally accepted that it's OK to reproduce the likeness of a physical object original work (Porsche 996 styling) for the virtual world without the need to get permission:confused:

It's not about the car manufacturers, it's about the game developers. Turn 10, Codemasters, EA, etc. will contact RaceDepartment or AC forums if they see one of their cars/tracks as a mod and ask for it to be removed, and apparently they do it pretty regularly. The car/other manufacturers don't.

It's not about the car manufacturers, it's about the game developers. Turn 10, Codemasters, EA, etc. will contact RaceDepartment or AC forums if they see one of their cars/tracks as a mod and ask for it to be removed, and apparently they do it pretty regularly. The car/other manufacturers don't.

Understood, but I am a bit surprised that real car manufacturers seem to be OK with 3rd parties (modders) copying their 3D aesthetic designs (car bodies) into digital reproductions for video games without a license, and based on the way URD does business, it appears they (Porsche) is OK with that .........but doesn't want you to put their actual name on the 3D copy. That's odd, because it seems to me that the 3D aesthetic design (which can be protected by patents and copyrights) of the actual car seems just as valuable as the brand name.

You'd think so. But they must not be bothered enough by it to contact the forums to have it removed. Maybe they just see it as free advertising.

Understood, but I am a bit surprised that real car manufacturers seem to be OK with 3rd parties (modders) copying their 3D aesthetic designs (car bodies) into digital reproductions for video games without a license, and based on the way URD does business, it appears they (Porsche) is OK with that .........

Considering that they sell illegal conversions I'd say that they didn't even bother to ask Porsche ;)

Considering that they sell illegal conversions I'd say that they didn't even bother to ask Porsche ;)
I hope you didn't mean URD, because none of their work are conversions.
These look like some payware mods that I'd be willing to try. Not sure if using the name "Porsche" and selling/donating to get them for profit is OK though......:(
Please remove that link. It's obviously illegal and not only in "modding terms", but also in actual law.

Lada Granta Cup. Nice to see this piece of crap here, too. :D
There are 4 Russian cars already in AC.
jdTV8h.jpg

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/lada-granta-cup.5963/
The 3D model is not complete, though (interior detail is yet to be finished).

I don't like ripped content, and most of them are awful to drive, but from where did they rip the 911 991?

I was only responding to your comment that "Forza don't have Porsches", which is incorrect because Porsche has been in four out of five Forza's.

And other games...
C'mon... you made your point out of the context.

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back