Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 136,347 comments
About the skins: 4 K ? I have 6.15 GB on skins alone...a bit overkill imo. They are all nice, but no way I'm keeping them all installed at this 'cost'

EG the complete ablzTarga Florio track is 'only' 5GB...
Yeah, having five 85 MB light cover textures in one skin folder, each one uncompressed in 4K is a bit of an overkill...
That's 425 MB for textures that have nothing but red color, in a single skin. Absolutely crazy.

preview.jpg

WallpaperSkyline.jpg
+
WallpaperSkyline2.jpg

I definitely respect the criticism. I was aiming for February 14th as a hard deadline, so unlike someone like Carmar, didn't really have the foresight to release the pack with 2k, 3k, or 4k variants. I do like making things crisp and detailed, so when you're in that mindset you only realize how dense the file sizes become when it's too late. Probably a good indicator that I didn't have the makings of a software developer or game designer.

And already in hindsight I should've dropped the skins in more bite sized updates, again like Pasta or Carmar.

So if the complaints rack up, I'll definitely consider going back and downsizing the size and quality of the hako pack to be more user friendly.
If you are planning some updates then the smoke from where wheelbarrow exhausts would normally be needs moving to the sidepipes.
Also, it'd be good if the headlights were blanked off properly with covers, at the moment it just looks like the lenses have been painted? They still light up when headlights come on too.
I tried tweaking the driver posture and adding a new shifting animation but for some reason this car takes a good few seconds to load up in CM Showroom (every other car I've got loads instantly) and I can't get the driver (or the adjustment arrows) to appear at all, so can't move him. Any idea why this might be?

Last edited:
Good night

My CM dont load any brands

System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: The invocation of the constructor on type 'AcManager.Pages.SelectionLists.CarBrands' that matches the specified binding constraints threw an exception. ---> System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
at AcManager.Tools.Helpers.AbstractFilesStorage.EnsureDirectory(String[] parts)
at AcManager.Tools.Helpers.FilesStorage.GetContentFile(String[] name)
at AcManager.Pages.SelectionLists.SelectCarBrand.GetBrandIcon(String brand, String carBrandBadge, Boolean& builtInIcon)
at AcManager.Pages.SelectionLists.CarBrands.AddNewIfMissing(IList`1 list, CarObject obj)
at AcManager.Pages.SelectionLists.SelectionList`2.Rebuild(Int32 defaultSize)
at AcManager.Pages.SelectionLists.SelectionList`2..ctor(BaseAcManager`1 manager, Boolean isCacheable)
at AcManager.Pages.SelectionLists.CarBrands..ctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, IXamlObjectWriterFactory writerFactory, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlObjectWriterSettings settings, Uri baseUri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(XamlReader xamlReader, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlAccessLevel accessLevel, Uri baseUri)
at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(Stream stream, ParserContext parserContext, Object parent, Boolean closeStream)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(Stream stream, ParserContext pc)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(Uri resourceLocator, Boolean bSkipJournaledProperties)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(Uri resourceLocator)
at FirstFloor.ModernUI.Windows.DefaultContentLoader.<LoadContentAsync>d__0.MoveNext()

Anyone Help?

Edit : I solve, reinstall mods ...

Last edited:
Hi, I encountered a problem with the Guerilla BMW M3 Gtr E46... In rainy conditions, water enters the interior... Has this problem been resolved by any chance? Thank you. Do you also know if there is an updated rain version of the Grobnik circuit?

Just throwing this out there. I know some of this is ppfilter related so most people may not need it, but this is how I see Nords with the stock CSP config:

View attachment 1328015

So I changed it to this:
View attachment 1328017

If you have similar results, feel free to give this mod a try.

Nords Mod

If you do try it, a couple words of explanation.

-- Backup any files this may replace so you can revert back if it's not to your liking.
-- Always keep the Misc Textures skin enabled and one of the Grass and Trees skins. The difference between the two is how much saturation the textures have.
-- If you'd like to have the trees change look based on the seasons, also enable one of the Seasonal Textures skins. They are named to match the Grass and Trees skins they go with. I.E., you would enable Seasonal Textures 2 if you prefer the Grass and Trees 2 skin.
-- I included optional VAO patches. They will cut some of the really dark shadows under the trees but may also make the trees lack shadow depth which is why I left them optional. I use them because I have never seen black shadows under trees in real life in the middle of the day but you may feel differently.
-- I also included a modified ai file for Nordschleife I made that gives me better race results. You may not see the same results but I no longer get the first lap pileup in the first few turns with this ai.
If you liked this mod and want to use it with Pyyer's Nordschelife 2021 Add-Ons mod, there a simple edit to the config you can do to make it work. Just add this line at the bottom of my included ext_config file:

[INCLUDE: ext_config-pyyer-nordshleife.ini]
ACTIVE = 1

Then download his 2021 Add-On mod and only extract the ext_config-pyyer-nordshleife.ini file, the billboards2021.kn5 file and the textures .zip file to the track's extension folder. Then you will get my changes with all of his nice sponsor additions.

Yeah, having five 85 MB light cover textures in one skin folder, each one uncompressed in 4K is a bit of an overkill...
That's 425 MB for textures that have nothing but red color, in a single skin. Absolutely crazy.
We try to learn. Like I mentioned, we're happy to take your guys' complaints as constructive criticism to learn and improve the pack for your enjoyment. I am not from a computing background, so forgive me for what you consider are ridiculous oversights. Because man,your tone is discouraging.

We try to learn. Like I mentioned, we're happy to take your guys' complaints as constructive criticism to learn and improve the pack for your enjoyment. I am not from a computing background, so forgive me for what you consider are ridiculous oversights. Because man,your tone is discouraging.
I didn't mean it like that, sorry.

Well, it's free, but it's nowhere near the RSS version I'm afraid...
The RSS are indeed mostly from a high quality, but I do demand always this extras from payware.
As long it’s not equipped with a 10000hp engine, it could always be a perfect grid filler, with the real logo and a normall name on it. Not with all those RSS fantasy stuff.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm not an expert skinner and am only talking from my own experiments point of view.

• Using mipmaps increases skin size by 25%. I have no definitive idea about having them stored in the dss or not. I've read somewhere you can safely avoid mipmaps, Assetto will then generate them at loading time (increasing a bit loading time) . Lastest RSS releases don't use mipmaps, for example but I would like other people to elaborate this point.
  • If the skin file contains blurry shapes, noises, etc ; you can safely reduce its size or use compression. I don't see the point of having 4k tyres skin files, for example.
  • If the skin file have sharp shapes like inside banner, stickers, compression WILL produce artefacts. Are those artefacts noticeable or not depend on the source quality and the skin visiblilty from the player point of view. So, to me, carpaint dpesn't need to be uncompressed.
  • If you decide to use compression, DXT1 produce the same quality than DXT5. The only difference rely on the loss of the alpha channel (if present). That is, you will have an on/off transparency with DXT1 while a graduated one with DXT5. To me, a carpaint without alpha channel can safely be saved as DXT1.

Finally, using compression or not has a simple answer : open the uncompressed file and compare it with the compressed one (at 100% zoom level)

Last edited:
Is there an Ai fix for Dundrod? The Ai drive straight off the track makes racing here impossible.

Well that would be very realistic for a change. According to Wikipedia:

"After 1955 cars stopped racing there due to no less than 3 fatalities during the 1955 TT race and safety concerns with the narrow, high-speed nature of the circuit, and since then it has only been used for motorcycle racing."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I never tried to race on that track with modern F1 cars. I only use era-correct cars (1950s). Even those are very hard to keep on track.

Eyj1fLq.jpg

The 1991 was Senna's third and final World Championship year. Arch rival Alain Prost failed to win a race with uncompetitive Ferrari and was fired before the end of the season due to a dispute with the team. 1991 also saw the debuts of future multiple world champions Michael Schumacher and Mika Hakkinen (which became the next big rivalry in F1), as well as the retirement of three-time champion Nelson Piquet. Schumacher raced only 6 GP's at Jordan so he's not included in the season. There is no skin for him in the mod, either. You can play him on the 1992 season that I just released. Hakkinen is included but Lotus that year was the slowest car on the grid.

Okay, probably the best championship mod yet because the cars are all FREE. I've done this a long time ago and played and tested it through many times... but waited until we have a proper free Phoenix track. I release these one by one (I still have 1986 coming).

That free Phoenix street circuit is not pretty and not up to 1988 and 1992 ASR tracks standards (which are incredible) but at least the ai is lighting fast now (it used to be 6 seconds too slow) and the race is great. It has the correct layout for the 1991 so in that sense this year is now fully functional. Finally.

All tracks have been tested and they are there for a reason. Monza, Imola and Spa 1988 have faster ai's than the 1992 ASR tracks and the Hockenheim 1988 is more accurate as the Bremskurve 1 & 2 didn't change before 1992.

I have added another championship file for the pay mod version of the Phoenix track. That track looks superb and has layouts for all years 89, 90 and 91. But the ai is broken in many ways. I have the same friend working on it who fixed the free track.

Quite astounding that these ASR cars are 100% free. These are 99% the same quality as the incredible RSS 1990 and ASR 1991.

The championship is set for Senna but as usual change it to any driver you want and place Senna to the ai grid with 96-99 ai level (depending your skill).

I always keep the grid at max. 20 cars. This has many benefits. Because AC ai cars don't behave like the real F1 cars on their warmup lap (give space) full grid would make way too difficult to get a clear QF lap. Also lower ranked ai cars aggression is low exactly for this same reason. With high aggression their behaviour in slow QF laps and as backmarkers is NOT realistic. With higher aggression they try to knock you out even during the blue flags. The downside is that now when accident happens they sometimes get stuck behind eachother on street tracks. But it's a compromise, you can't get it both ways. If you feel this is not good, feel free to add the full grid yourself. The ASR package has it.

Mansell is very fast in the season and his ai rating is 99 and it's plenty as the ASR McLaren is quite slippery and oversteery. I usually used very high rear wing setting and was competitive in many races. I managed to win the WDC twice, became third once and second once. I'm not the best sim racer but I'm not the worst either and I find the difficulty challenging but fair.

If you find the season too hard/easy, simply open the Notepad and adjust the driver rankings from championship.champ file to match your personal skills.If you're new to sim racing, I guess top ai ratings like 92-93 could suit you better. Hard to tell.

ASR 1991 cars have the sparks by default but this mod increases the effect. They look incredible. The sparks mod has instructions inside.

Video speaks for itself how amazing this mod is.

All download links and everything you need is in the video description. Including the three different cool SimHub dashboard/overlays and the free Phoenix track (that you already might have when I released the 1990 year). Also a link to the Phoenix pay track.

Enjoy! And if you have any questions or need help or something else, let me know.

Playing the 1991 year now... almost halfway of the season and I'd say it's pretty realistic. Really enjoying the game.

People who say AC ai is not good are dead wrong. Extremely competitive as long as you set up the season correctly and have superb quality tracks.

I have Prost at 99 but this was the year of the uncompetive Ferrari which Prost called a "truck to drive" and got sacked. :D

Who needs AC2 for anything? F1 season can't get any better than this. :D

6UaGyoz.jpg

Last edited:
Well that would be very realistic for a change. According to Wikipedia:

"After 1955 cars stopped racing there due to no less than 3 fatalities during the 1955 TT race and safety concerns with the narrow, high-speed nature of the circuit, and since then it has only been used for motorcycle racing."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I never tried to race on that track with modern F1 cars. I only use era-correct cars (1950s). Even those are very hard to keep on track.
Even with the lotus 49 it does the same. lol

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm not an expert skinner and am only talking from my own experiments point of view.

• Using mipmaps increases skin size by 25%. I have no definitive idea about having them stored in the dss or not. I've read somewhere you can safely avoid mipmaps, Assetto will then generate them at loading time (increasing a bit loading time) . Lastest RSS releases don't use mipmaps, for example but I would like other people to elaborate this point.
  • If the skin file contains blurry shapes, noises, etc ; you can safely reduce its size or use compression. I don't see the point of having 4k tyres skin files, for example.
  • If the skin file have sharp shapes like inside banner, stickers, compression WILL produce artefacts. Are those artefacts noticeable or not depend on the source quality and the skin visiblilty from the player point of view. So, to me, carpaint dpesn't need to be uncompressed.
  • If you decide to use compression, DXT1 produce the same quality than DXT5. The only difference rely on the loss of the alpha channel (if present). That is, you will have an on/off transparency with DXT1 while a graduated one with DXT5. To me, a carpaint without alpha channel can safely be saved as DXT1.

Finally, using compression or not has a simple answer : open the uncompressed file and compare it with the compressed one (at 100% zoom level)
Also worth mentioning that any plain flat coloured textures (like the lightscovers - no idea why there are three identical versions of these in each skin folder) can be simple DXT1 4x4 pixel DDSes rather than the 512x512 pixel versions you use on the GT-R.
This gets each texture size down from 1.33MB to just 152 bytes... or about ten thousand times smaller... and it'll do exactly the same job.

Even ignoring slightly increased loading times, I'd be inclined to create mipmaps at source when saving any DDSes that need them, and not rely on CM to create them, just in case a CM update breaks that functionality and it doesn't get fixed for ages. I'm still haunted by the missing hot lap ghost from a CSP update that seemed to take an eternity to get fixed.
(Is it possible to get haunted by a missing ghost?)

@Langheck_917 @ImNotVettel

Last edited:
Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back