Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 133,861 comments
Is lods pertinent when CPU is bottlneck?
As knowledgeable people explained to me, the number of objects (in kn5) affects the processor, and the number of triangles affects the video card. that is, yes, LODs will help the processor if the number of objects in them is reduced

Is lods pertinent when CPU is bottlneck? I have some people that suffer slowdown, like the car is moving a lot slower, and it take multiple seconds to be at 250km/h on unoptimized track + Pyver extension. But it's not a constant freeze, the fps is fine. And the AI seems unaffected too

If it is, I might start doing lods for the cars
For VR users its essential.

Last edited:
Ok well from 148 object to 79 I guess it'll help

1718030864721.png

look at the Kunos standards for formulas, there are about 80 objects for lod B, about 30 for lod C, and about 5 for lod D
well I will aim 80 objects for lod B

30 for LOD C mmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure, does joining every suspension into one single object in blender (with ctrl+J ) really do the trick ?

Last edited:
Is lods pertinent when CPU is bottlneck? I have some people that suffer slowdown, like the car is moving a lot slower, and it take multiple seconds to be at 250km/h on unoptimized track + Pyver extension. But it's not a constant freeze, the fps is fine. And the AI seems unaffected too

Partly true, but there is another thing at play and it is especially noticeable on your latest F1 pack. I meant to send you a message about it. The 3D collider should have as few faces/triangles as possible, AC uses these plus track physics layer for it's calculations. Ideally you should aim for under 100 triangles, see the Kunos F138's collider for example. Your Caterham has 572 triangles. This and some mod tracks that have very large physical layer will cause massive game slow down but FPS will appear unaffected.

1718031362544.png

Partly true, but there is another thing at play and it is especially noticeable on your latest F1 pack. I meant to send you a message about it. The 3D collider should have as few faces/triangles as possible, AC uses these plus track physics layer for it's calculations. Ideally you should aim for under 100 triangles, see the Kunos F138's collider for example. Your Caterham has 572 triangles. This and some mod tracks that have very large physical layer will cause massive game slow down but FPS will appear unaffected.

View attachment 1363640
I never realized, it makes more sense then.

I'll work on that this week and roll out an update next week to fix this + audio being too low + hard tyre being silver and not orange and some skin update for test driver and 3D helmet adjustments

30 for LOD C mmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure, does joining every suspension into one single object in blender (with ctrl+J ) really do the trick ?
Some objects can be deleted, some can be combined. If you need to be more careful with Lode B so that “transitions” are not visible, since it works quite close, then with Lode C and D you can act more boldly, since many objects are no longer visible at such a distance.

My advice is to leave only the objects visible rather than aiming for a specific number of objects. Yes, it won't be the best choice, but at least you're sure to tighten the LOD to the bone making it as light as possible. As for blender, yes, the join parts/mesh trick with the same material works as long as you leave the parts subject to animations intact. In theory you could, for example, merge all the metal elements into a single mesh by assigning to the material an empty (completely white) aomap so as not to have problems with objects mapped differently. Obviously all textures must be in the main lod to avoid errors.

EDIT: obviously you have to create them taking into account the transition between the lods. It takes a bit of patience but for better or worse you can create a light lod.

Last edited:
@Peter Boese in the default WeatherFX debug app, rain thickness can apparently be overridden at set at 0mm, enabling the full wet visuals but without the loss of grip.
Does such an option exist in Pure, letting us enjoy the visual rain effects in full glory but maintaining normal grip?
This would be very useful in races where changeable weather is wanted (eg, the race starts dry and sunny, but then a thunderstorm rolls in and dumps its load for a lap or two, then the sun comes out again and the race finishes dry) without the need to pit twice to change tyres just so you can stay on the track. Pit stops in AC are pretty clunky and normally involve teleporting and ghost cars, so are often best avoided to maintain immersion.
Good point Masscot! Is it possible to disable the AI to change to wet or dry tyres automatically?

My advice is to leave only the objects visible rather than aiming for a specific number of objects. Yes, it won't be the best choice, but at least you're sure to tighten the LOD to the bone making it as light as possible. As for blender, yes, the join parts/mesh trick with the same material works as long as you leave the parts subject to animations intact. In theory you could, for example, merge all the metal elements into a single mesh by assigning to the material an empty (completely white) aomap so as not to have problems with objects mapped differently. Obviously all textures must be in the main lod to avoid errors.

EDIT: obviously you have to create them taking into account the transition between the lods. It takes a bit of patience but for better or worse you can create a light lod.
The only "animation" I have is the drs.

Suspension moves thanks to DIR_

Should I also include that in the lods?

I think it's in WeatherFX debug.
if you mean this:
1718040578705.png

This are just the 3 normal rain parameters, which are send in the weather condition. Pure Planner can set them too:
1718040657870.png

BUT, those also changing the graphics AND physics. Mostly this is not what the peoples want.
Mostly peoples want rain graphics without the physics.

This is only possible in the weatherFX debug:
1718040893261.png

afaik only with this debug option you have still the graphics but no physics. But this is not available in the weatherFX script sdk.

Last edited:
The only "animation" I have is the drs.

Suspension moves thanks to DIR_

Should I also include that in the lods?
I think including them isn't a problem, maybe eliminate it in LOD C and D as they are loaded when the car is quite far away, I don't think you'll notice their absence :D

if you mean this:
View attachment 1363711

This are just the 3 normal rain parameters, which are send in the weather condition. Pure Planner can set them too:
View attachment 1363712

BUT, those also changing the graphics AND physics. Mostly this is not what the peoples want.
Mostly peoples want rain graphics without the physics.

This is only possible in the weatherFX debug:
View attachment 1363713

afaik only with this debug option you have still the graphics but no physics. But this is not available in the weatherFX script sdk.
That's a real shame, because a sudden cloudburst can sometimes make it almost impossible to get to the pits if you're on slicks.
If it can't be achieved on the weather side, how about on the car side, ie having the option to disable the car's rain physics? Some cars already behave this way by default, so I'm guessing it must be possible?

AI pi-roulette

Figure Skating Spinning GIF by US National Archives

In the AI mind... :lol:

It does impact a lot, yes. GPU is not that much affected by it in fact, it's a CPU thing more than anything. The less objects/triangles, the less information to carry, the better. Simple as that (or close to). Especially if the track is already pretty demanding

The Kunos mod guideline is actually quite good to help for optimization (dev folder, like the kseditor). It's not a formal rule, but it helps. LOD C should be minimalistic as much as possible, LOD D is close to a placeholder (for some cars, 1 or 2 object/material is enough), as it is not meant to be seen "clearly". LOD B is the tricky one, the transition can be hard to get right. But the general rule is : if at a driving/replay point of view it is not visible, it shouldn't be there at all.

Edit : as a reference, what I usually do for the meshes :
  • If the object is not visible/useful anymore, too small or hidden in sight : get rid of it
  • If the object is part of a general thing/do not attract sight : decimate from 0.2 to 0.1 per LOD, join per material as much as possible
  • for main objects : clean-up manually and/or decimate from 0.5 to 0.2 depending on the result, each one is different...

Last edited:
The stutters are the reason I cannot update to the newest version of CSP, which then means I can't use the latest version of Pure. I'm still using Pure 0.193 and CSP 1.80preview9 because that's the last combo without the micro stutters. With every new CSP version I give it another try and they are still there. I've eliminated it being a Pure issue because it still exists even when I use Pure 0.193 with the newest version of CSP. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out what has changed in newer CSP versions that introduced these occasional micro stutters.
try deactivating the sunbliding shader in Pure config->shaders

For those still wondering about the graphical improvements that LCS will bring, Peter Boese posted this comparison. My mind exploded:

seems he took down those pics... all I see is black :

1718045195760.png

Can I use this opportunity to urge to try and get brakelights to be clearly visible WITHOUT using Post Processing effects?
Some creators manage to do that just fine, others forget about this I guess...
(if they are visible without , they are surely visible with PP , but not the other way around... )
so Please always test your cars WITHOUT PP !
And also make sure you can see difference between rear lights on, and braking lights on (without PP effects)!

Hopefully Peter can introduce some nifty tricks in Pure 1.0 that will make this possible in a very elegant way.
(or is it bonkers of me to expect a good picture quality , lighting wise, without using PP effects ?)

Figure Skating Spinning GIF by US National Archives

In the AI mind... :lol:

It does impact a lot, yes. GPU is not that much affected by it in fact, it's a CPU thing more than anything. The less objects/triangles, the less information to carry, the better. Simple as that (or close to). Especially if the track is already pretty demanding

The Kunos mod guideline is actually quite good to help for optimization (dev folder, like the kseditor). It's not a formal rule, but it helps. LOD C should be minimalistic as much as possible, LOD D is close to a placeholder (for some cars, 1 or 2 object/material is enough), as it is not meant to be seen "clearly". LOD B is the tricky one, the transition can be hard to get right. But the general rule is : if at a driving/replay point of view it is not visible, it shouldn't be there at all.

Edit : as a reference, what I usually do for the meshes :
  • If the object is not visible/useful anymore, too small or hidden in sight : get rid of it
  • If the object is part of a general thing/do not attract sight : decimate from 0.2 to 0.1 per LOD, join per material as much as possible
  • for main objects : clean-up manually and/or decimate from 0.5 to 0.2 depending on the result, each one is different...
That's nice, i truly don't want to bother with lods, but unfortunately I am not PC Masterrace and have one of the weakest PC from everyone here so I am the first target of the lod necessity 😔

I'll follow your advice for LoD B, but damn. If i have to do that per cars, knowing that I also need to do it for 2010 2011 and 2013.................

Pray for me

That's nice, i truly don't want to bother with lods, but unfortunately I am not PC Masterrace and have one of the weakest PC from everyone here so I am the first target of the lod necessity 😔

I'll follow your advice for LoD B, but damn. If i have to do that per cars, knowing that I also need to do it for 2010 2011 and 2013.................

Pray for me
There might be a better solution for making LODs, but that's the "power" of what was Simplygon. Those were not good LODs, but they were LODs, it was far enough for the majority of models. And soooooo much time saving...

I'm already on quite a few different things atm, but if you have any question or need help don't hesitate to pm ;)

at risk of getting some hate here , I tried AMS2 again, as it has also a Content Manager apparently , and some pretty good mods...

I'm actually a bit sad to admit, it feels more immersive and responsive compared to our beloved AC.
Environments aand sound has more detail , and most important , the FFB feels much better imho.
(I know it's all a bit subjective, but still ...)

One thing that is definitely better in AC are the mirrors (they are not real in AMS2 but always fake/virtual, so you can't see your own car in them)... and I will never abandon AC (it's the best to collect cars, without actually racing them ;)

Now onto my question:
Has anyone got a good LUT and FFB settings, for a Thrustmaster T300, so I can get FFB feeling up to par with what I feel in AMS2?

at risk of getting some hate here , I tried AMS2 again, as it has also a Content Manager apparently , and some pretty good mods...
I would be surprised that you would get hate here.
Yes, AMS2 as a tool to install mods, without it, installing mod and updating mods is a PITA, but that is all that tool does, so same name but world, even universe, apart considering functionality. As for mods, they are 99% stuff from PCars, so, good, but again, nothing close to what we have access to here.
I'm actually a bit sad to admit, it feels more immersive and responsive compared to our beloved AC.
Why are you sad? You found, or rediscovered, something you enjoy, good for you. AC, is not the be all of SIM racing, some prefer something else, all good.
Still, I am ready to bet, that you will prefer back AC sooner than you think, enjoy your new flame while it last, :sly:.

Last edited:
Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.

Latest Posts

Back