BMW F20 1 Series revealed.. ummm, yeah..

• Thread starter MatskiMonk
  • 118 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
New BMW 1 series sport hatch

Info and Pic from 1addicts via http://www.bimmerpost.com

f20--10.jpg

f20--17.jpg

more pics on Bimmerpost!

Bimmpost.com
Seen here are "Sport Line" and "Urban Line" models. Compared to the outgoing 1-series hatchback, the F20 has grown by 8.5 centimeters to 4.32 meters in length. Wheelbase grows by 1 inch to 2.69 meters. It retains its 50:50 weight distribution.

Base engine in the BMW 116i with a newly developed 1.6-liter turbo gasoline engine that makes 100 kW/136 hp. For the same displacement, the 118i gets 125 kW/170 hp. Stronger four-cylinder engines (N20) with up to 250 hp will follow.

As for diesel, a two liter diesel engine will be available with three power levels of 85 kW/116 hp, 105 kW/143 hp and 135 kW/184 hp. The fuel consumption figures are 4.3 to 5.8 liters per 100 kilometers.

So, what do we all think?

Looks better than the last 1 Series, but the front end looks kinda massive. It reminds me of the X1, to be quite honest.

So, they're using new TwinPower units, eh? I wonder if 123d is in for a power hike too.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that front end, looks like the someone stuck a coupe nose on it and it kinda doesn't work. The new rear lights and boot is hideous. I personally thought the 1 series looked great even from the first one all the way up to the last refresh.

The 1 coupe version of this facelift is going to pretty horrid :scared:

Good God that is absolutely horrible. Whoever designed that should get a good slap in the face.

To be honest, it's not wildly different from the current one. Concur with Omnis that the rear is quite Polo-esque and the front has an X1 feel to it, but it's mostly pretty similar.

I actually expect a Coupe version would look better.

And as per usual, it'll presumably be pretty good to drive, and the majority of owners won't care either way.

The front is owkey, more like an X1 but my word the rear is kind of bad. It went really good on the sketching but in real world that has gone terribly wrong...

The interior meanwhile is a massive improvement. I love that interior very much! Good thing, it's still a rear wheel drive...

EDIT: The rear lights don't actually look a lot like a polo. The 1's have more curvature, lines and angles... Better than those of Polo's. But whatever, in my opinion it is still an improvement over the its predecessor...

Last edited:
Hmmm... I am a full-force advocate of everything BMW say and do.. but I think I'm going need some pretty strong fanboy pills to swallow this one.

The front is like an X1, the rear reminds me of the DS3. But as a whole it's revolting, I am huge fan of BMW, but everything post Bangle is a disappointment for me.

And we thought Bangle was the worst that could happen to BMW design. Front looks like it belongs on a car from a larger segment. Front lights look weird. Don't like it.

And we thought Bangle was the worst that could happen to BMW design. Front looks like it belongs on a car from a larger segment. Front lights look weird. Don't like it.

Thank you! My first thought was 'oh they've photoshopped a 7 Series onto the front of it'.

It really does look like a cut and shut or a bad photoshop job, like the front end of another car has been welded on to it and then stretched out. Also I can't believe they attempted to put a bangle on that boot :yuck:

Jeez BMW, you peaked at the 3 series coupe and then decended back into the 2000's horror story!

Robin.

I think I've pin-pointed what makes it look so bad - the awkward amount of sheetmetal between the inner edge of the headlights and the kidney grille. It's an odd amount, fenced in at odd angles, and it leaves an unfortunate surface treatment. Take that out of the equation (and the Polo tailights), and the rest of it is pretty straight-forward.

As always, its strong point will be engines, though. So at least there's that...

I think I've pin-pointed what makes it look so bad - the awkward amount of sheetmetal between the inner edge of the headlights and the kidney grille.

I agree, looks bloated and too big for the car, almost as if someone fitted a SUV front end to the car, not to mention that the headlights are almost touching the wheelarches.

Looks like they hired my aunt to hold the cheeks of a 1 series and stretch them really hard.

It will probably be great to drive but, god it's ugly.

Apparently it looks better in the metal, according to a What Car journalist I've just been chatting to on Twitter. Still not keen though. Bit of a comparison:

f20--10.jpg

1-1-series-bmw.jpg

From the side, it's lost the "banana" sill and the sharp crease below the window line has become shorter and moves further downwards as it gets to the front of the car, which I think makes it look visually heavier and fatter. The old one looked tucked in at the sides and the new one doesn't have that effect.

The new rear arch looks too bulky too, a side effect of the less scalloped sides.

The door handles have moved onto the crease too which looks a bit odd. The new lights make the front end look too long for the rest of it - the old 5dr was never perfect but the overhangs front and rear look shorter, which is a BMW trait, and the old headlamps balanced out the shape too as they were proportionally larger - the new one looks like it's squinting with tiny eyes.

Since seeing the back end a bit more it's grown on me a little. Still think it looks Polo-esque but I can see how it might look better in the flesh. I reckon some of the leaked images are unflattering to the back, more than they are to the front. I don't think the front bumper on the new one is great either, might look better without the mock cut-out front and centre.

Words can't describe how bad this thing looks.

The front is not bad,but once you get to the back it gets real ugly fast.

I'm going to go out on a limb here:

I bet it will look better in person than it does in pictures.

Surely it will, all cars do. But I believe it can't outrun that front end, it's just... wrong.

The old 1 Series looked great in coupé form and quite good in hatchback trim, that's what I call going backwards.

Oh it isn't that bad! At least they got rid of the pregnant cow line.

bmw1_side2.jpg

Is it just me or does the new one seem to have the Camaro/300C/Panzer Tank issue where the windows are too damn small and too high up to see anything?

A Polo rear-end isn't a bad thing... since VW isn't that bad when it comes to style.

But dear Lord, that nose. It's one of the worst cases of corporate nose I've ever seen... stretched, deformed, lacking any sense of style or coherence. The previous bull-dog nose wasn't pretty, but it worked, and it was proportionate to the rest of the car.

The rest of the sheetmetal looks poorly thought out, too. Dumpy, frumpy, bloaty... As if everything was simply stretched over the frame in a program and left to sit that way.

Ugh.

Back