BMW F20 1 Series revealed.. ummm, yeah..

• Thread starter MatskiMonk
  • 118 comments
still too schnozzy. Even in video. That area between the lights and grille is just incredibly awkward.

-> I think the new 1er has more of an evolutionary design rather than going drastic. I would think BMW is trying too hard to emphasize its Efficient Dynamics theme design. Thats why it came to a conclusion to this F20. :indiff:

And whoever signed the project off should get the mother of all punches in their face!
^ ...

packy.jpg

^ You called? I will let him know 'coz I KNOW!

:lol:

A Polo rear-end isn't a bad thing... since VW isn't that bad when it comes to style.
^ Until recently with their new Jetta and Passat. But thats another story...

And there's me thinking that the 1-Series couldn't get any uglier. Good job i've not had my lunch yet.

The M-Sport package of the F20 is coming in too somewhere this fall... This is just the only image currently available.

2012-bmw-1-series-m-sport01.jpg

I think this is much much better. The gap between the headlights and the grille has been slightly fixed. The interior will be getting some M-Sport treatment just like the F10.

[Image is a courtesy of BMWBLOG.com]

I loved the old 1 series, it was the best and the fastest and the best handling car in its class.And that is what BMW does.It is is always the best performance car in its class.Then those losers from mercedes and audi try to make a better one and they fail.I heard something about BMW making the new 1 series with FWD but if they do, it will probably be the most fun FWD car ever!

The Sport Package does look quite a lot better, I agree. Then again, the Sport Package made the old car look quite a lot better, too.

I had my hopes up with the new 'F' series bimmers. The 5 series and M5 are both beautiful in the M-Sport packages,the new 6-Series is nice (the M6 will be interesting too) but this?

It looks like the offspring of a VW Polo and a pile of sick. Not as bad as the X6 though, which was a combination of X5 and urm, something indescribably vile from another planet.

It is growing on me pretty rapidly I must admit. The outgoing 1er 5dr only looked good in certain trim levels/colour/wheel combos... this will probably be the same.

also...

bmw2000CS.jpg

not the first time BMW did this kind of treatment!

Hmmm... I am a full-force advocate of everything BMW say and do.. but I think I'm going need some pretty strong fanboy pills to swallow this one.

Looks like you went to take your Gran-Pa's Fan Boy pills for this one... and it works...

This F20 2nd Gen 1-series will certainly be a good car, but i would wait for the Phase 2 facelift. Because I having issues with this front end that looks like a Japanese Cartoon facial expression ... (hint hint @ the Vanishing Boy's avatar)

I would rather have the 5GT over this. 👍 (EDIT: well technically they are not competing on the same grounds nor price range, but what i meant was: between the two "ugly", i prefer the 5GT ugly over this 1 :P )

Last edited:
Looks like you went to take your Gran-Pa's Fan Boy pills for this one... and it works...

This F20 2nd Gen 1-series will certainly be a good car, but i would wait for the Phase 2 facelift. Because I having issues with this front end that looks like a Japanese Cartoon facial expression ... (hint hint @ the Vanishing Boy's avatar)

I would rather have the 5GT over this. 👍

I'd rather have the 5GT over this too... you can get a V8 in the GT :D :D :D

I don't like how the lights go wayyyyy outwards, from the front it is almost right up to the fenders.

And about the M-sport package, another prove that putting the E92 M3 bumper on anything makes it instantly 100 times better.....

-> ...
I would rather have the 5GT over this. 👍 (EDIT: well technically they are not competing on the same grounds nor price range, but what i meant was: between the two "ugly", i prefer the 5GT ugly over this 1 :P )

I'd rather have the 5GT over this too... you can get a V8 in the GT :D :D :D
^ Nah, the 5er GT is nice and all, but I'd rather wait for the 130i M-Sport just because it has a 6M/T.

^ Sorry, I really don't like coupes...maybe a 1M Hatch perhaps? :lol:

~> I might be betting that a ultra secret M-division garage has a 1M Hatch somewhere...just look at the epic two-some E39 M5 Touring and E46 M3 Touring!! :drool: :sly:

-> If were implying the current 1M, well thats a different story. ;)

I do like the current 1M, even if the body looks like pep boys product.. It just his most honest BMW M at the moment.

Well, well, well.. I thought that the Valencia Orange colour was only available for the 1M, now look.

BMW-1er-F20-Valencia-Orange-Metallic-01.jpg

After that image, now we might be expecting the same colour to be offered in the Coupe and Convertible variant in 2013. BMW will offer the Estoril Blue paint with the M Sport package available in the fall.

[Image courtesy of BIMMERTODAY via BMWBLOG.com]

Autoblog seemed to like it, and like many other modern designs, it's apparently much better in person.

What I find pretty incredible is the weight: 2855lbs is quoted in the review, which makes it a rather impressive 200lb lighter than the new Focus. How'd they manage that?!

Autoblog seemed to like it, and like many other modern designs, it's apparently much better in person.

I have to admit it's already growing on me. I still have reservations but like all modern BMWs, it immediately makes its predecessor looks really old. Normally something that looks so modern in its time tends to go out of fashion quickly too, but we know that BMWs age well too so I expect the 1-Series will do the same.

What I find pretty incredible is the weight: 2855lbs is quoted in the review, which makes it a rather impressive 200lb lighter than the new Focus. How'd they manage that?!

Clever engineering, good use of lightweight steel, aluminium suspension etc. Modern Fords are heavy brutes because they're trying to market their cars in the same was as Volkswagen, aiming for a little above the status quo. They don't really have experience doing that though, so all the modern Fords are ending up quite heavy. Presumably to make them feel more solid they're literally shoving in more stuff, thicker plastics, bigger seats etc.

Yesterday, the F20 was shown on a TV programme over here, which was the first time I saw the car in movement. And, I've got to say, it looks better than I thought it would from the pictures.
Still, not a very pretty car, but I suspect that it'll continue growing on me, like most of BMW's designs did in the past as well.

I didn't like the design at first, but now it kind of grew on me. I like it more everytime I see it. I like that it kind of reminds me of the 7 series at front. The rear lights are so-so, but hey, the Coupe version will have different ones, so no problem there.

If one were to remove the badges on the car and replace them with, say, Hyundai badges...would anyone really notice it is really a BMW? I don't think so.

The ridges along the side screams Hyundai to me (whether they ripped someone off or were not the 1st isn't the issue) and the rear looks like a Mazda3 I have sitting in the lot. If the kidney-shaped nostrils were taped over and the badges removed; I'd bet you could ask 100 people what car that was and no one would get it right on the 1st guess.

Hideous.

At least the Bangle BMWs looked unmistakeably like a Bangle BMW. Previous generations rocked the 3-box design. This looks Korean.

Sure, you'll have some people who genuinely appreciate the shape and the psychological aspect of owning a German car, but other than those 10 people...who will buy this thing? Strange niche...

briatore.png

Jesus Christ.

Just because it's a small car doesn't mean it has to be the most god-awful ugliest thing on the road.

Are you ready for a 3-cylinder 1-series? - Care of Autoblog

I've gotta admit; I like it, from the engine perspective. I'm pretty sure this would be the most powerful three cylinder put into automotive production, and even looking past that, 175hp and 200 lb-ft is nothing to sneer at in a small/medium hatch. Apparently it even sounds alright. Strangely, I'm more okay with it in the 1-series than I am about it moving into the Mini's engine bay.

Back