BMW F20 1 Series revealed.. ummm, yeah..

• Thread starter MatskiMonk
  • 118 comments
Might even become a future Classic as this will be the final version of the RWD 1 Series.

Here is hoping they make a fully fledged M version before it joins the dark side.

Finally, a 1-Series without awkward styling. The rear lights remind me of the BMW 6-Series.

Front looks nice, back looks a lot worse. What terrible badge placement aswell.

OMG MUCH WANT :drool:

Especially this 3-door..

BMW-1-Series-Facelift-63.jpg

:embarrassed:

Any word of 130i? or possibly even 135i?

Last edited:
Looks a lot better than the pre-facelift model, very much agreed! If the F20's going to be the last RWD 1series, BMW should really, really release a proper M version. Name it M1 Coupe and M1 Hatch, if you must. How I'd love a an M1 Hatch. The M135i is supposed to be pretty nice already, why not crank that up a notch?

Looks a lot better than the pre-facelift model, very much agreed! If the F20's going to be the last RWD 1series, BMW should really, really release a proper M version. Name it M1 Coupe and M1 Hatch, if you must. How I'd love a an M1 Hatch. The M135i is supposed to be pretty nice already, why not crank that up a notch?

I doubt a proper M1 hatch is going to happen, and the coupe will be dealt with by the upcoming M2.

Especially this 3-door..

There was only ever a 130i for the original want series, the M135i takes the place of the 135i and it'll probably be updated to the M140i (still with a 3 litre twin turbo)

-> Thats it, this will be my car along with my E46 if it ever comes to Stateside...on which is never. :indiff:

-> If ever I live in Euroland (or in PI), I'd like a 5-door M135i with LSD and a 6MT! ;)

Especially this 3-door..

BMW-1-Series-Facelift-63.jpg

:embarrassed:

M135i has been confirmed and will have slightly more power to Equal the M235i HP output.

Hopefully we See a 1M Hatch and with Chris Harris reviewing it ASAP.

Facelifted 1 Series

BMW-1-Series-Facelift-26.jpg

That looks absolutely horrible. I don't see why you guys like it so much, and neither do I see a reason why I would buy this when Mazda has an equally as good car in this segment that is actually a pretty car.

Because RWD > FWD

Explain.

FWD cars are as much fun to drive on a daily basis as RWD cars, and I've driven the new Mazda 3 this winter and I absolutely loved it. Why would I invest in a more expensive, and worse looking alternative?

Explain.

FWD cars are as much fun to drive on a daily basis as RWD cars, and I've driven the new Mazda 3 this winter and I absolutely loved it. Why would I invest in a more expensive, and worse looking alternative?
Drive a 1 series you will learn all you need to know, 50/50 weight distribution and a Short wheelbase RWD.

I can bring up more benefits but the best answer is drive one first.

M135i has been confirmed and will have slightly more power to Equal the M235i HP output.

Hopefully we See a 1M Hatch and with Chris Harris reviewing it ASAP.

M135i will continue, 1 series M isn't going to happen. There was talk of introducing a M?40i model for the 1er/2er, to make space for a standard ?35i model, but I think it was just rumours.

Explain.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. is the 1 series beautiful... nope... is this ?

mazda3_hatchback_rhd_4.png

Not at all. Looks are subjective, as is "expensive", if you don't like the one series, and you cannot afford it, and you don't feel any difference with a RWD set-up... you are right... why would you? If you happen to like the way it looks, and the price is less of an issue, and you dislike some of the inherent characteristics of FWD, why not?

Later this year, the F20 will undergo one last facelift which seems to be significantly more subtle than the 2015 LCI update.
2018-bmw-1-series-facelift-spy-photo.jpg

2018-bmw-1-series-facelift-spy-photo.jpg

But the big news is that the FWD successor has also been spied for the first time, sporting a much sleeker profile. Expect this to hit the streets in 2019.
2019-bmw-1-series-spy-photo.jpg

Source: Motor1

It doesn't even have a Hoffmeister Kink when it switches to FWD? Might as well reskin one FWD platform for every premium brand at this rate.

Wikipedia citing BMW USA website
Apart from its stylistic effect, the Hofmeister kink is said by BMW to suggest that all BMW models have rear-wheel drive (or all-wheel drive biased to the rear)

FWD BMW is just wrong... they had one job...

FWD BMW is just wrong... they had one job...
I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand, basic 1-series, and even 3/4-series, are nothing special to drive. They barely feel rear-wheel drive in the first place and aren't even close in terms of fun or response to some of the decent front-drive stuff available at the moment.

However.

I'm more concerned that the brand's ethos is being diluted. However good (or bad) the application, making rear-wheel drive cars, and all the technical and emotional baggage that comes with that, is a statement of intent, and shows that the people developing the cars are enthusiasts even if the people buying them aren't. And it does result in inherently decent balance, nice proportions from a styling perspective, and the prospect of some fun if you're prepared to spend a bit extra on a decent engine.

There is obviously good business sense in building a front-drive 1-series, as most owners wouldn't know rear-drive if it gave them an accidental spike of oversteer on an icy roundabout, and it'll be cheaper to build for BMW, which is good for profits.

But it does raise the threshold for access to the kind of models that rear-drive gives access too, like the M140i, which are actually jolly good fun and fairly unique in offering the experience they do for the price they do. A front-drive M140i might be excellent - BMW makes MINIs of course, and MINIs handle pretty well - but I actually doubt BMW's ability to make a front-drive hot hatch as good as say, Volkswagen can. Or Honda, or Renault, or a bunch of other brands they never really had to compete with before because they were the one company sticking with rear-drive...

Back