Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,174 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did you guys read about how the EU wants to censor your speech and media?

Westminster does that enough without Strasbourg's help anyway.

Or will that change when we tek owr srvrnty back?

---

Edit: Tony Bliar considering a return to British politics. :indiff:

Last edited:
Fujitsu have just announced that they're cutting 1,800 jobs in the UK. The announcement specifies that it's not linked to Brexit.

Fujitsu have just announced that they're cutting 1,800 jobs in the UK. The announcement specifies that it's not linked to Brexit.
No problem. Those laid off can always retrain to become computer programmers or CEOs.

No problem. Those laid off can always retrain to become computer programmers or CEOs.
Not sure about that (do we need another 1800 CEOs?) but perhaps they can relocate to other EU countries if they're quick. Or even apply to live in the US. Shoot for the moon. (Hell, they may even have vacancies up there.)

On a more serious note, given Fujitsu's business some of them may be computer programmers already.

Last edited:
Ched Evans' has had his retrial return a not guilty verdict.

The case was somewhat exceptional in that 2 witnesses were brought to provide evidence of the woman's sexual past.

Seems the not guilty verdict was a result of the jury coming to the conclusion she was in a fit state to consent, even if she was not able to remember the night.

No mention of their Welsh offices being affected. I know they've got an incredibly skilled work force.

The shortlist for the Welsh railway franchise has been announced:

Abellio
Arriva
Keolis
MTR

Keolis is a French private operator currently running the Docklands railway with shares in Southern, Southeastern and London Midland, and MTR is a private firm which runs the Hong Kong metro, London Overground and will run CrossRail one day.

Abellio is owned by Nederlandse Spoorwegen and Arriva is owned by Deutsche Bahn so there is a 50% chance that the franchise will continue to be run by a state-owned railway company.

Labour have been fined for not correctly declaring certain expenses in the last election... including some for that stone.

(Stone pictured may differ from actual stone)

Labour-headstone-5-650.jpg

The shortlist for the Welsh railway franchise has been announced...Abellio...Arriva...Keolis...MTR

Where are Ivor and Jones the Steam? Things can't have changed that much in Wales since I last looked?! :D

Labour have been fined for not correctly declaring certain expenses in the last election... including some for that stone.

Were the Tories not under investigation for bussing in voters to marginal constituencies and not declaring their hotel bills?

As though cheating the electoral system like that isn't bad enough anyway...

Where are Ivor and Jones the Steam? Things can't have changed that much in Wales since I last looked?! :D

Dr Beeching got to them along with Gordon, Edward and Henry.

As a complete aside from the US election thread... now every time a Michael Moore video is posted I think it's Honey G (aka H-to-the-O-N-E-Y-G-I-Say-Honey-You-Say... resounding silence), currently rocking a Norf Wheezy* and the British X-Factor.

th.jpeg Honey G_glamour_26aug16_itv_b.jpg

* No, I have no idea what a Norf Wheezy is

I cannot believe George Osbourne was paid £98,446 for 3 speeches in the US. That's 4 hours work and roughly £30,000 more than he earned being an MP for a whole year! :banghead:

He's on the speaking circuit now like Blair making a killing. I don't know how anyone would think what he has to say is worth that kind of money! :lol:

As a complete aside from the US election thread... now every time a Michael Moore video is posted I think it's Honey G (aka H-to-the-O-N-E-Y-G-I-Say-Honey-You-Say... resounding silence), currently rocking a Norf Wheezy* and the British X-Factor.

I didn't know Honey G was a thing until Jonathan Ross' interview with Nicole Scherzinger. Haven't watched the X Factor for like 5 years.

I cannot believe George Osbourne was paid £98,446 for 3 speeches in the US. That's 4 hours work and roughly £30,000 more than he earned being an MP for a whole year! :banghead:

He's on the speaking circuit now like Blair making a killing. I don't know how anyone would think what he has to say is worth that kind of money! :lol:
The hourly rate is a bit unfair, that's atleast 2 transatlantic trips which adds up when you count the hours in transit and the 1st class flights.

And why wouldn't you want advice from him? I'd love to be able to convince the mortgage company that my finances are significantly better than they really are, and continue delaying when I'll repay them!

So I guess a Trump presidency is good for us? He said he would put us at the front of the queue whereas Obama and presumably a Hillary administration would send us straight to the back.

We are going to need all the US UK trade we can get! I would love to see more American brands, products and US made goods over here, it's something we have lacked due to being so tied to the EU.

Last edited:
So I guess a Trump presidency is good for us? He said he would put us at the front of the cue whereas Obama and presumably a Hillary administration would send us straight to the back.

We are going to need all the US UK trade we can get! I would love to see more American brands, products and US made goods over here, it's something we have lacked due to being so tied to the EU.

If we get Pizza flavoured Pringles, it would be a good start. :D

I would love to see more American brands, products and US made goods over here, it's something we have lacked due to being so tied to the EU.

The first things that spring to mind are squirty cheese and deep fat friers that you can fit a whole turkey in. Yes, they really do that.

It's good news for TTIP people, not so good news for people who believe a trade deal with the USA is a backdoor to asset stripping.

It just seems like a one way street; I highly doubt that the United States is actively seeking out British investment on their turf and British products entering their markets.

Our next general election coincides with America's next general election. Social media's gonna burst right open. :D

If the John Lewis Christmas ad is giving you some escape from the problems of the world, here's the Guardian to ruin it for you:

Bridget has always loved to bounce. She’s put in the hours, endlessly springing up and down on her bed as her dog Buster watches from the sidelines. Arguably, there is no individual better qualified to bounce than Bridget. She’s been preparing for this her whole life.

Finally, Bridget is given her big shot. Someone has assembled the trampoline of her dreams in her back garden. On Christmas morning, Bridget wakes up and sees the thing she’s always longed for. She races downstairs. She has a clear shot at the trampoline. But then, at the last moment, Buster barges in ahead of her and grabs the trampoline for himself. Bridget stands on, astonished that something as stupid as a dog could have beaten her to it. Meanwhile, Buster gets his stupid dog mouth and his stupid dog parasites all over the trampoline, ruining it for anyone who ever wanted to use it afterwards.

That’s right, Buster the dog is Donald Trump. Buster the dog is Donald Trump, Bridget is Hillary Clinton and the trampoline is America. Thanks for rubbing it in, John Lewis.

:lol:

(Also worth a read, the twitter account of John Lewis - the man from Virginia that is, who takes the regular misidentification in his stride)

I don't understand how or why John Lewis adverts are up there with the Crown Jewels and David Attenborough as part of the fabric of the UK.

Sometimes I just want to quit this flying thing and move to England and be a lorry driver. I want to drive my little Transit around and deliver my packages and that's it. It sounds easy.

Also, why is there virtually zero variation in housing style anywhere in Birmingham? What's that all about?

Sometimes I just want to quit this flying thing and move to England and be a lorry driver. I want to drive my little Transit around and deliver my packages and that's it. It sounds easy.

A Transit's a van, not a lorry :D

Besides, there's kak-all money in it any more ;)

Also, why is there virtually zero variation in housing style anywhere in Birmingham? What's that all about?

Lots of post-industrial building left the denser areas of many British cities looking like that. Then, in ze war, a lot of the city centres were flattened leading to lots of post-brutalist concrete naffness. Brum certainly suffers from that.

Back