Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,173 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Our constant apologies are one of the things that baffles Bill Bryson. He tells a great story about waiting to check in at a British hotel when a room guest comes down to tell the desk that her TV isn't working. She apologises profusely to the desk for bringing the matter up, for bothering them and for basically existing at all. They apologise profusely in return and in a shower of shared apologies head off to examine the offending set.

Not how America would do it, he tells us. Sorry about that, I mean, sorry.

That "Where the hell did all the mud go?" grinds my gears particularly badly, the kids mute it now to stop me ranting.
:lol: Yes, that is one of the most irritating ads, not least because it is bordering on sacrilegious. My sister was mad at that advert because it says 'Where the hell...' but is often on during daytime/kids TV.

I think the entire Atlantic Ocean descended upon the south of England today...Had a conservatoire audition in Birmingham this morning that required leaving my house in Wiltshire at 7 am, not fun.

I think the entire Atlantic Ocean descended upon the south of England today...Had a conservatoire audition in Birmingham this morning that required leaving my house in Wiltshire at 7 am, not fun.
I had to pick up a £240,000, 670hp, RWD car and take it from Slough to Portsmouth. That was a little stressful.

I didn't think it would take long for this whole Black Friday thing to go too far now that it is a thing here in the UK... presumably in order to steal a march on its competitors, Morrison's have gone one better - in fact four better - than mere 'Black Friday' and are currently part-way through their 'Black Five Days' promotional campaign. I can only presume that some genius in marketing came up with the idea of having 'Black Friday' prices all week, but calling it 'Black Week' might have caused a little confusion/consternation, at least in certain parts of the country.... so 'Black Five Days' it is.

The very fact that this is something adopted from North America only very recently thanks to the spread of the internet not only demonstrates how this isn't something endemic to the UK but also accentuates how fake it all is.

Blah, blah, blah, sheeple this, sheeple that, I'm such a non-conformist, blah... I know how it comes across but really! If you're out there stampeding to get a decent offer on a telly or a six-pack of Kopperberg, sort your 🤬 life out.

I'm more annoyed by the fact Morrisons is using Black Friday to shift booze rather than electronics.

Nice to see that life means life in this case. A whole life tariff is a rare occurrence for a gaol sentence.

Political killing gets that? More than pretty much any other murders. (Note that doesn't mean all murders) To me that devalues the lives of other victims and says politicians count for more. :yuck:

Political killing gets that? More than pretty much any other murders. (Note that doesn't mean all murders) To me that devalues the lives of other victims and says politicians count for more. :yuck:
Terrorist killings get that, it's the same sentence as the main killer of Lee Rigby got.

He didn't plead not guilty. He refused to plead at all.
In the UK if you refuse to enter a plea it's treated as a non-guilty plea, Scotland if I recall does offer the option of no plea.

So technically he did both.

Breitbarts coverage I had to go and have a look at, as they spent quite a while at the time doing all they could to try and show he wasn't a far right sympathiser. Farage for the UK ambassador was given a more prominent position on the site when I looked, no mention of terrorism, no mention of his long history of far right, neo Nazi white supremacist behaviour.

They only mention of him as a white supremacist was at the very end of the piece from the judges summing up.

The comments section alternates between him being a hero, set up by the liberal elite as a false flag and him just being mentally ill.

My opinion of it being a far right, neo Nazi, white supremacist rag has been further reenforced.

Last edited:
In the UK if you refuse to enter a plea it's treated as a non-guilty plea, Scotland if I recall does offer the option of no plea.

So technically he did both.

Breitbarts coverage I had to go and have a look at, as they spent quite a while at the time doing all they could to try and show he wasn't a far right sympathiser. Farage for the UK ambassador was given a more prominent position on the site when I looked, no mention of terrorism, no mention of his long history of far right, neo Nazi white supremacist behaviour.

They only mention of him as a white supremacist was at the very end of the piece from the judges summing up.

The comments section alternates between him being a hero, set up by the liberal elite as a false flag and him just being mentally ill.

My opinion of it being a far right, neo Nazi, white supremacist rag has been further reenforced.
But if you've looked up the stuff he'd looked up, wouldn't that label be applied to you in a court of law as well? You see the slippery slope there?

His judgement should be about what he did, not what rubbish he read in a book or online. That's for his defence to use to try and prove insanity.

I'm not suggesting his punishment is too harsh, it's that other murderers get LESS and I find that unjust.

But if you've looked up the stuff he'd looked up, wouldn't that label be applied to you in a court of law as well? You see the slippery slope there?

His judgement should be about what he did, not what rubbish he read in a book or online. That's for his defence to use to try and prove insanity.

I'm not suggesting his punishment is too harsh, it's that other murderers get LESS and I find that unjust.
I don't have a house full of Nazi memorabilia, I've not been a subscriber to white supremacist publications (and written correspondence to them) since the early 1980's, I've not filled my house with books that espouse a white supremacist ideology (given that my wife is Indian a book on how to marry 'white' would not do me much good).

He did a damn sight more that just look at a few websites, as such no slippery slope exists at all.

What he did was commit a murder on the basis of a political ideology (neo-nazi white supremacy), which meets the definition under UK law of a terrorist act.

What he did was meticulously plan a murder, based on a long held political ideology (and in one letter to a South African White Supremacy magazine he subscribed to he stated that the real ones to blame for the failure of white Supremacy were white liberals.

_92613133_clippings.jpg

As such the sentence is in line with other sentence handed down for terrorist murders.

Source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38071894

However, speaking of 'Really, Britain?', I've seen at least one (presumably sincere) 'Happy Black Friday!' greeting on Facebook this morning. Really??
Britain has given us some truly wonderful things: "Blackadder", McLaren, roast beef and Australia, among others. But then you go ahead and do something like this.

Back