Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,174 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I honestly think I wouldn't mind living there. No offense but England kinda seems boring as hell. But it doesn't get too hot, usually doesn't get crazy cold, everybody drinks, the food is good (except Spam, what the hell is that). Is your pub food as good as our "British" pub food?

I honestly think I wouldn't mind living there. No offense but England kinda seems boring as hell. But it doesn't get too hot, usually doesn't get crazy cold, everybody drinks, the food is good (except Spam, what the hell is that). Is your pub food as good as our "British" pub food?

Fortunately no-one with any sanity still eats spam. Portions in most restaurants are smaller than American restaurants but in pubs they'll slap as much food on the plate as they can.

It can get into the high 20s (celsius) in the Summer but usually only for a couple of weeks at a time. Usually gets below freezing in the Winter but doesn't snow much, at least not in the south. Most of the year is either wet and/or overcast.

Fortunately no-one with any sanity still eats spam. Portions in most restaurants are smaller than American restaurants but in pubs they'll slap as much food on the plate as they can.

It can get into the high 20s (celsius) in the Summer but usually only for a couple of weeks at a time. Usually gets below freezing in the Winter but doesn't snow much, at least not in the south. Most of the year is either wet and/or overcast.
Isn't it kind of weird how the most productive societies in the world spend half the year below freezing? That's really hard on equipment. I guess it's hard to accomplish much when you're overheating but it's also hard to accomplish anything when there's a foot of snow on the ground, like in NYC. Or Buffalo, Jesus.

What do you guys do for fun? Bicker and complain? Watch soccer? Drink? I've spent literally all day today watching college football.

Is your pub food as good as our "British" pub food?

A Brit-phile friend from Oklahoma thinks our actual pub food (depends on the pub of course) is far better than American British food. Obviously our draught beer is far superior to anything in the world.

But it doesn't get too hot, usually doesn't get crazy cold

But when it does get cold the trains don't run. Of course, when it gets hot the trains don't run.

everybody drinks

The legal drinking age is 5 (I kid you not!), it's a way of life. There's little else to do while we wait for trains.

What do you guys do for fun?

We talk about the weather, support the underdog, and make sure our neighbours aren't getting one up on us.

You should read Bill Bryson's books, "Notes From a Small Island" and "The Road to Little Dribbling", he's an American writer who's spent a lot of time here. He understands the British while accepting that he'll never quite understand them :D

Does everybody get along or are there just as many problems with this type of person against that type of person like here in the US? How skeptical are you of the cops? How would I go about convincing myself to not care that there are cameras everywhere and to just go on with my day? I feel like it would be a struggle to adapt my libertarian mind into British society because it's, like, not libertarian. I guess ass long as the cops don't bother it'll be fine.

I like trains. Besides the NYC subway or the maglev at Disney World, I've never ridden an actual train to go anywhere. Everything is too far apart to make it practical here.

How expensive is a suburban apartment? Like, could I live with the equivalent of $1200 a month or is British life with an apartment/cell phone/car/internet more expensive than that?

The satire of American being awesome is funny but there's a crapload of people who actually believe that the rest of the world basically doesn't matter. It gets old. I want to spend time in a place that isn't completely full of itself.

There are still divisions, though probably not to the same degree as the US, and with so much variety. Cops are pretty well trusted here (they're not armed of course). There is some support for BLM among the black community, but not nearly as much as over there, and there isn't really this same "us vs. them" mentality. There is a lot of distrust of the government and parliament at the moment but not really any major fears about surveillance or privacy.

The trains here are pretty awful. Because the railways are privatised different regions have different operators. My home is serviced by First Great Western. The trains are pretty old, but they're fast, offer food, relatively comfortable, and have Wi-Fi, though they are frequently late. Where I went to university is serviced by Southern Rail, who are by far the worst operators in the country. More than half of all services are either delayed or cancelled because the staff are on strike, they're not comfortable, and they're always overcrowded. A lot of places aren't particularly well linked either because our rail network is the oldest in the world, and more than a third of lines and stations were closed in the 1960s in what was known as the Beeching Cuts.

Rent depends of which city you're in. In Cardiff you could rent somewhere for £200-£300 a month. It wouldn't be particularly nice, and would probably have a mould problem, but you'd get by. In London the cheapest flats would be at least 3 or 4 times that. London is an incredibly expensive city to live in.

In terms or pastimes drinking is certainly up there, we'll take pretty much any excuse to get on it. Soccer and Rugby are widely viewed and played. Cricket a bit less so. Formula is popular here as there is a lot of British investment, but not much else in the way of motorsport besides BTCC. Wimbledon is always very popular every year but most people's interest in tennis does not go beyond that. American Football, Baseball, Basketball and NASCAR are not very widely viewed, followed, played or broadcast here.

There's a lot of fairly good TV. Most mainstream US Shows are broadcast here but we have plenty of our own stuff too.

We are a proud nation, but we're a very small one so we don't anywhere near the sphere of influence the US has, we know about other countries and cultures, whether or not we take an interest in them is a different matter.

Come to South Wales and your past times can include:
- Drinking (in the rain)
- Rugby (in the rain)
- Mountain biking (in the rain)
- The Beach (in the rain)
- Visiting castles (in the rain)

If you're still interested in flying there are some very good training schemes in the UK and they work with several huge airlines. But it could be complicated given you're 'merican.

1200 dollars in 950 quid. You could live on that but it wouldn't be a great standard of living.

If you're looking for a swap Keef I'm game, I'm assuming we can swap countries like us Brits swap council houses.

I've spent literally all day today watching college football.

Replace college football with soccer (but call it football for argument's sake) and you're pretty much there. And drinking.

You can also check out an infinite number of towns, cities, pubs and castles which are not only older than the USA, but older than the colonisation of the Americas. It might be cool in a meta sort of way.

Replace college football with soccer (but call it football for argument's sake) and you're pretty much there. And drinking.

You can also check out an infinite number of towns, cities, pubs and castles which are not only older than the USA, but older than the colonisation of the Americas. It might be cool in a meta sort of way.
Let's not forget that some days you're not watching the football, but watching people watching football. Gillete Soccer Saturday, I just don't get it.

At least he's a fantastic baker.

1454538602_chris-kamara-great-sport-releif-bake-off-model.jpg

So what is the mood like in England tonight? Is the weather nice and brisk? You guys just chilling? How was dinner? Did any of you take a nice walk down to the grocery for fresh ingredients or did you drive or take a bus?

I just wanna know what it's like to be British on the night The Grand Tour comes out.

Did the copyright on Queen songs expire recently or something? It seems that every second advert has a Queen song these days - Freddie must be turning in his grave.

Did the copyright on Queen songs expire recently or something? It seems that every second advert has a Queen song these days - Freddie must be turning in his grave.

I googled a few weeks ago to try to answer that very question... it just seems that they're back in vogue and have been available for some time.

That "Where the hell did all the mud go?" grinds my gears particularly badly, the kids mute it now to stop me ranting.

Same as always: pessimistic.

As always it's supposed to be nicer next week.

So what is the mood like in England tonight? Is the weather nice and brisk? You guys just chilling? How was dinner? Did any of you take a nice walk down to the grocery for fresh ingredients or did you drive or take a bus?

I just wanna know what it's like to be British on the night The Grand Tour comes out.

I got paid £80 to dep at a concert at an insanely posh private school. It rained very heavily this morning, and apparently there were tornadoes in Wales, so a tad different from the usual.

I got paid £80 to dep at a concert at an insanely posh private school. It rained very heavily this morning, and apparently there were tornadoes in Wales, so a tad different from the usual.

I heard us Midlanders got hit by some too. I do recall it being very windy but no fallen garden furniture so I'm not too sure.

Also yes to the bus, 4 a day 2 to and from work.

That is by far the most entertaining weather article I've ever read. I really liked the party about the "squally cold front". We call them squalls, but whatever.

Unfortunately situation for sure. Our tornado season (we have a tornado *season*) starts in late spring and runs through early autumn when all the big thunderstorms are forming. We usually get a tornado or few here in the Midwest with all the flat farmland but they're a tradition in Oklahoma as you may have heard. They get some squally squalls out west.

(we have a tornado *season*)

As bizarre as it sounds I do remember hearing that you're "more likely" to see a tornado in Britain than in the US.

Now, in Tornado Alley? Probably not.
But over the whole of the US? Apparently so.

Britain is apparently very good in the tornadoes per capita category.

As bizarre as it sounds I do remember hearing that you're "more likely" to see a tornado in Britain than in the US.

Now, in Tornado Alley? Probably not.
But over the whole of the US? Apparently so.

Britain is apparently very good in the tornadoes per capita category.

Earthqiakes too, iirc. Just little British ones that probably apologise afterwards.

Back