Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,174 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Indeed, though it is hard to believe someone is truly committed to total nuclear disarmament while adopting an official policy of renewing their own nuclear weapons arsenal. However, it was the tone and choice of words that I was more interested in... the idea that they are being "clear" while pledging support for two completely opposite points of view (continued nuclear armament and total nuclear disarmament) doesn't make sense, unless one considers the broader context of the speech i.e. the Labour leadership battle and Jeremy Corbyn's status as Labour leader - Corbyn is not in favour of renewing Trident while leading a party whose 'official policy' is the renewal of Trident. I suspect the true intent was to portray themselves as united (while they are in fact bitterly divided), and so they have to come out with oddly incoherent statements like this one on nuclear weapons which appears to advocate for two implacably opposed policies. I reckon that we will see a lot more of this kind of 'clarity' from Labour in the coming months...
It seems Labor is undergoing an identity crisis. The poor little daffodils need trigger warnings. A party divided against itself cannot stand. Incoherent psychobabble cannot paper over such massive contradictions as pursuing nuclear disarmament through greater investment in nuclear arms. The "world as it is" does not so much require this inane policy as does your subjugation to US policy. Let us be clear. The UK is still a US poodle dog.

I think more-or-less the entire world is a US poodle dog. Being elected President also unofficially makes you lord and master of the world.

The US had it on a leash, the Chinese have it on a plate.

Figurative and literal.
The Chinese are on the verge of hard landing in their economy due to excessive debt and leverage. They have built 100 ghost cities with completely vacant housing for over 150 million people. They could absorb all the world's refugees without blinking an eye. As the world's #1 economy (in some ways) they have the potential of taking the rest of us down with them. Stay tuned.

Sam Allardyce has been sacked as England manager after only 3 months in the job and one match, the shortest stint in history.

Time for for Beckham is now! :sly:

Sam Allardyce has been sacked as England manager after only 3 months in the job and one match, the shortest stint in history.

Time for for Beckham is now! :sly:
Do you think he would be interested in the pay cut?

He would do it for the pride not the money, plus with the amount of dosh he has he is pretty much incorruptible.
I stopped paying much attention to football a while ago but on the face of it that sounds like a good point.
Has he tried management before though?

He would do it for the pride not the money, plus with the amount of dosh he has he is pretty much incorruptible.
With the amount of dosh he's got it doesn't sound like he's got any reason to be in for the long haul. I'm not sure the team needs a dilettante manager treating the team as a vanity project.

With the amount of dosh he's got it doesn't sound like he's got any reason to be in for the long haul. I'm not sure the team needs a dilettante manager treating the team as a vanity project.
As I said above, I'm out of touch these days but would it really be a vanity project if it happened? Would he not be passionate about the England team?

I don't think Beckham is like that, he doesn't really do vanity projects and is pretty down to earth considering his wealth. If he were in charge I believe he would take it very seriously. He might not be all that qualified but he does have a passion for the sport and could really inspire a team. I don't think any team member would want to let him down whether it's on a professional or personal level.

You're right, we need someone to unite the nation at this terrible time. Although the suggestion in today's Metro letters page that Idris Elba or Tom Hiddleston should get the job might be taking it a little too far.

I think the majority of footie fans (of which I'm not one) would prefer someone with experience of managing at national or at least club level under their belt, however.

Over in the sports forum we're too busy laughing at it all (Well, the Scots and the Welsh are) rather than debating who might be the next manager.

I think Beckham would be quite a decent manager for England. And even if he isn't good, we've had Big Sam and Steve McLaren and Roy Hodgson. Could we get any worse?

Please no Nigel Pearson.

If experience is no longer an issue may I suggest Princess Kate as England manager? At least half the country* would gladly get behind her.

Or if footballing prowess is a deciding factor, has anyone asked Wayne Rooney whether he'd be interested in becoming player-manager? As they say, what's the worst that could happen?

(*the royalist half)

What about Davey Cameron? - he could take us to the World Cup, then quit on the eve of the first round.

Meanwhile, the UKIP leadership battle is going well..

1267.jpg

Back