Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 13,184 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But now using the word "bald" is part of the no-no language when used in a "harassing" manner
And? Spiteful litigation always uses whatever it can. If I was that pissed off about getting sacked that I wanted to sue, I'd bring up every grievance, no matter how small or trivial.

Not for just calling me bald - I don't imagine I'd get anywhere with that.
I don't know if the threat to violence is pertinent
You now doubt that just calling someone bald is enough of a reason to sue but you don't think additional threats to violence are relevant to a case in which threats of physical violance were issued? Come on. If you can't sue someone on grounds of harassment just for calling someone bald, as you have now doubted, then you can't tell us that just calling someone bald is grounds for harassment. The rags will always sensationalise it and take it out of context as I mentioned in my previous post.

If someone called me a bald ****, could I sue?
Number one, it depends entirely on the situation. Is this a workplace grievance or something down in the pub? A complete stranger or a friend? And don't just invent a scenario now, I'm saying this to make the point that it does indeed depend on the situation. The more you add to a hypothetical scenario, the more factors and variables you have to take in for the relevance of the case.

Just calling someone bald, or even a bald ****, will depend on so many other factors. Number two, once again, try it. You might find out that you need those other pertinent threats to make a valid case.

Last edited:
And? Spiteful litigation always uses whatever it can. If I was that pissed off about getting sacked that I wanted to sue, I'd bring up every grievance, no matter how small or trivial.

You now doubt that just calling someone bald is enough of a reason to sue but you don't think additional threats to violence are relevant to a case in which threats of physical violance were issued? Come on. If you can't sue someone on grounds of harassment just for calling someone bald, as you have now doubted, then you can't tell us that just calling someone bald is grounds for harassment. The rags will always sensationalise it and take it out of context as I mentioned in my previous post.

Number one, it depends entirely on the situation. Is this a workplace grievance or something down in the pub? A complete stranger or a friend? And don't just invent a scenario now, I'm saying this to make the point that it does indeed depend on the situation. The more you add to a hypothetical scenario, the more factors and variables you have to take in for the relevance of the case.

Just calling someone bald, or even a bald ****, will depend on so many other factors. Number two, once again, try it. You might find out that you need those other pertinent threats to make a valid case.
I always doubted just calling someone bald is enough grounds. However, if it can be linked to "sexual harassment", what is the limit? Even you don't know! That's not a way to live....

And then, if one judge sets a precedent by throwing one case out, what guarantee is it that another won't see it a different way?

Last edited:
The best thing to do in these situations is try and make a joke and have a laugh. Otherwise the experience would be made even worse.

Anyway, I got my mum a bag of chips in the meantime so that's cheered her up a bit 😄👍
Pleased to say the ambulance arrived at 4.00AM yesterday. That's 38 hours after the district nurses requested the ambulance.

Anyway, She's been back home most of the day comfortable, happy and in good spirits. 🥹👍

EDIT: LOL. Tweets are far worse than a group racially beating a 14 year old, let's be honest

I think we're witnessing a complete narrative collapse and it's up to reasonable members of society to ensure the country doesn't go for the easy answers of the right/far-right.

Last edited:
Reasonable members of society don't think people are going to prison for making tweets.
Oh you again, lulz.

Still haven't replied to my post in the Islam thread I see. But then again, what's new. Don't address the issue but attack the messenger. :lol:

Come on now, this is your chance! A racist group attack on a 14 year old kid leads to a lenient sentence. Or are you actually not colourblind and the victim is the wrong colour for you to make some noise. Sad.

Last edited:
What are the hard answers/hard truths?
The easy answers from the far-right are to blame the immigrants.

The more accurate answer is to look at the policies and consequences around multiculturalism and a rapid population influx honestly, and the complete lack of long term planning in almost every sector by previous governments. Sticking plaster mentality has destroyed the country, and we're seeing the outcomes of the treatment of different ethnic groups, and the subsequent correction to those historical wrongs.

The easy answers from the far-right are to blame the immigrants.

The more accurate answer is to look at the policies and consequences around multiculturalism and a rapid population influx honestly, and the complete lack of long term planning in almost every sector by previous governments. Sticking plaster mentality has destroyed the country, and we're seeing the outcomes of the treatment of different ethnic groups, and the subsequent correction to those historical wrongs.
There's been an awful lot of 'kicking the can down the street' from a whole sucession of governments over a great deal of the UK's major issues. Imigration, the NHS, military spending etc. And although these issues are things people have been concerned about for a long while, they're now problems that can no longer be ignored. They need to do something now or leave the door wide open for a properly fascist government. Not stupid knee-jerk populist-pleasing 'solutions', that are never going to work, but genuine long-term plans that might not please everyone but make sense. Consult some educated experts, not rely on the advise of think tanks with a narrow political or commercial agenda.

There's been an awful lot of 'kicking the can down the street' from a whole sucession of governments over a great deal of the UK's major issues. Imigration, the NHS, military spending etc. And although these issues are things people have been concerned about for a long while, they're now problems that can no longer be ignored. They need to do something now or leave the door wide open for a properly fascist government. Not stupid knee-jerk populist-pleasing 'solutions', that are never going to work, but genuine long-term plans that might not please everyone but make sense. Consult some educated experts, not rely on the advise of think tanks with a narrow political or commercial agenda.
Labour seems to be doing this (at least in the sectors I have limited knowledge in), but there's pushback from the rightwing media (god I hate them).

Knowing that they'd win the election handily I hate that they've tied themselves up by committing to a "no-NI rise for workers" position. Why do people expect we can have great services and the infrastructure neede for such a large population for nothing? It's the worst case of a leftist dream with right spending policy, and the chickens are coming home.

The general public needs a wakeup call and to start thinking of others and their country's present and future rather than just their wallets. The Boomers have been one of the luckiest generations ever - it's tough what has happened with Winter Fuel but fair.

Last edited:
Apparently Esther Rantzen is an evil witch for wanting a debate on assisted dying. It's a topic a lot of people are uncomfortable with but it's really brought out a lot of ghouls who just want to attack her rather than debate the issue.

Last edited:
Apparently Esther Rantzen is an evil witch for wanting a debate on assisted dying. It's a topic a lot of people are uncomfortable with but it's really brought out a lot of ghouls who just want to attack her rather than debate the issue.
Another subject that religion gets its unwanted mitts on and turns a issue of logic and decency into an unnecessary moral quandary.

Another subject that religion gets its unwanted mitts on and turns a issue of logic and decency into an unnecessary moral quandary.
There was a very well written piece in opposition to assisted dying (in terms of prose, anyway) by A.N. Wilson recently. It's no surprise that he's quite attracted to Catholicism.

As long as there are safeguards, I would vote to allow it.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I get the impression that Esther Rantzen is getting flak because she's... vaguely left-wing? It doesn't seem like Christian criticism from Maude Flanders and Helen Lovejoy.

Latest Posts

Back