Cars with magic downforce

• Thread starter HaylRayzor
  • 75 comments
Nice thread, but since when do cars not produce downforce? Every car produces downforce because it's a fact of physics, when you reach certain speeds the air running around the car enacts on it, depending on how that car is shaped affects how much downforce is going to be generated and that is without a spoiler or any kind added to the car.

The reason race car have large spoilers on the rear and air dams up front along with splitters is to channel the air in a controlled fashion which helps with stability as well as keeping the car planted on the road to a limit.

Those RM cars which you think has magical downforce actually has things which you cannot see, aside from the underbody channels which you can see the rear exit diffuser, there are also vents behind the wheels which also channels air that was channeled through by the front splitter also many race cars have these at the rear as well. Remember the S7 was purported to be able to be flipped over at 175mph and still stay glued to the road, now if you looked at all the gill slits on the outer shell of that car and ask if that was truly possible. Not to mention it also had a dual suspension, a secondary set that activated at high speeds when the downforce becomes greater.

Car basic shape will allow for a certain amount of down force to be generated, some road cars actually use down force to lift the car slightly at highway speeds for better fuel economy( some of the old school SUV had positive lift spoilers on their roof).

Any sort of device applied to the basic shape of a car will affect down force and stability, drag coefficient is more important to high performance sports cars and some economy cars. Race cars as you can see don't seem to care about aero coefficients as much considering large spoilers create lots of drag just being there, but they do have rather low aero coefficients but focus is on maintaining handling at high speeds than miniscule fuel economy gains. Lots of spoiler less race cars can manipulate their downforce using front splitters and underbody air channels as well as braking duct vents to increase or decrease down force. GT5's RM are basically Works cars, rebuilt to have near perfect balance in overbody and underbody air flow thus not all cars would actually need to utilize a large rear spoiler.

I wished PD had actually used lbs/in instead of their odd system and actually shown the multiple points in which to increase down force on pure bred race cars, those LMP cars have channels for a reason; all for air flow manipulation.

No magic down force seen yet, although some cars do exhibit better grip on SH tires than other cars. Although I could be wrong about a great many things. I have to go read on some more information about Works cars.

Nice thread, but since when do cars not produce downforce? Every car produces downforce because it's a fact of physics, when you reach certain speeds the air running around the car enacts on it, depending on how that car is shaped affects how much downforce is going to be generated and that is without a spoiler or any kind added to the car.

This is false. Cars easily create lift. There basic shape almost guarantees it.

EDIT

Unless you were including lift under the term downforce. Re-reading the bit about SUV's made me think you might have been doing that. Negative lift and downforce can be confusing enough, I've never heard someone call lift negative downforce lol.

In that case, you would be correct in saying that a car generates a force without spoilers etc, but I think the point of this thread was addressing that some car models don't visually represent the components that produce additional downforce. It should be easy to check RM cars, as PD modeled the undersides of premiums, but even then, the level of adjustability seen is typically only found on wings.

Last edited:
Id have to include the Lambo Muira Bertone. For an old underpowered car compared to cars like the newer Ford GT, Saleen S7, Mclaren F1 etc that are more powerful and have downforce, it has no problem beating them and outcornering them with it's mystical power to weight ratio and magical downforce.

It always kills me to see the Muira beating Mclarens etc on straights and in the corners. When u look at it's specs it makes no sense.

This. The two old Lambos are both too light (PD used the dry weight apparently) and are both way too quick and stable. I've read more than once that, particularly when fuel is low as the tank was at the front, the Miura was inclined to drift and the front got very light at high speeds.

It's way too fast in GT5 too, only the late models eg. the Miura SV would reach 180mph+ and i'm pretty sure I read that the prototype from 1965 didn't even have an engine :indiff:

Oh, so there is a designated name for them? According to who?

Really? You never noticed this yet? Go to any street lobby 500-600 and try not to see one of those cars. Not sure why they handle so magically well without ANY tuning. They're ***** cars, plain and simple.:) Oh, and it's my name for them! :)

Really? You never noticed this yet? Go to any street lobby 500-600 and try not to see one of those cars. Not sure why they handle so magically well without ANY tuning. They're ***** cars, plain and simple.:) Oh, and it's my name for them! :)

Lol, that's because some of the cars mentioned are in reality just like that, off the showroom floor ass kickers. M3's have been basically the pinnacle of road cars for ages, when you couple affordability, handling and prestige BMW M3 was it. NSX, come on now, you know this car is a beast in real life. It was basically Honda's F1 derived street car, and it drove like one pumping out 276hp it out did Supra's, RX7's and the vaunted GT-R handily. Not sure about that Muira though, never seen that car actually talked about doing anything worth while(although the one in GT5 is a restored model with a different engine, have to look that one up to be certain). Ford GT is a bit of a handler, especially the Premium models drive like they have duct tape on the wheels. GT R35 well that car is a beast in real life, it breaks it's own Nur record every time a new one is released enough said.

Not sure why people complain when some cars are just inherently better right out of the gate. That's just the way things work out, some cars need little tuning, some need a lot and some don't really need any, although that might depend on the driver a lot more than the car.

Snakebitten
Id have to include the Lambo Muira Bertone. For an old underpowered car compared to cars like the newer Ford GT, Saleen S7, Mclaren F1 etc that are more powerful and have downforce, it has no problem beating them and outcornering them with it's mystical power to weight ratio and magical downforce.

It always kills me to see the Muira beating Mclarens etc on straights and in the corners. When u look at it's specs it makes no sense.

You're right.... A car with those specs should eat dust behind the newer supercars... Miura has more grip than an F40... Non sense.

Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about the Muira. I've noticed that Kaz has imbued quite a few old classics with super powers. Maybe they are his faves?

Another super hero is the RUF Yellow Bird. How it gives an Amuse S2k Turbo or R8 LMS a run for the money in the straights and twisties is beyond me. In real life I believe it was slower than the CTR2 but in the game it's way faster than the CTR2. Not to mention it whoops the HKS CT230, Nismo Ztune Z, Superleggera, Mines GTR etc all of which have downforce and better handling. The Yellow Bird was a beast in the straights but it isnt better in the twisties that the cars mentioned in RL as it is in GT5.

It's funny how PD has certain cars overperforming but some other cars that are legitimately fast, like the Veyron, are dogs lol. Play Supercar Festival and see what the Muira does to a Veyron on High Speed Ring haha. High speed track but Veyron Never finishes in the top 5 in my experience.

Play Supercar Festival and see what the Muira does to a Veyron on High Speed Ring haha.

I recall checking on the typical opponents for that event some time back and seeing the Veyron listed with less then 700bhp. Just double checked now to find it isnt even listed anymore.
On a simmilar note, the Ferrari's in La Festa Cavallino have tuning parts in them, you can tell by their sound, and by the fact that the 512BB can keep up with an Italia.

I could be wrong, but I belive NASCAR are designed NOT to produce alot of downforce? Conversely, Super GT is very, very open in the aero department. That explains why NASCAR have more aero in GT5 than Super GT/JGTC - oh wait a minute...
There are a few random road cars producing race car levels of downforce, such as the R390. Ok, it is essentially the LM car, but it has as much df as a JGTC, and almost as much rear df as an LMP when you put a spoiler on it.

I could be wrong, but I belive NASCAR are designed NOT to produce alot of downforce? Conversely, Super GT is very, very open in the aero department. That explains why NASCAR have more aero in GT5 than Super GT/JGTC - oh wait a minute...

Not a lot of down force on a super speedway like Daytona and Talladega where it has long straights and hi bank turns so you don't need a lot of downforce. On the short track the objective is to produce as much downforce as possible. Put a super speedway car next to a short track car and they don't look the same.

BoneSawTX
Not a lot of down force on a super speedway like Daytona and Talladega where it has long straights and hi bank turns so you don't need a lot of downforce. On the short track the objective is to produce as much downforce as possible. Put a super speedway car next to a short track car and they don't look the same.

On the tracks however.....

I recall checking on the typical opponents for that event some time back and seeing the Veyron listed with less then 700bhp. Just double checked now to find it isnt even listed anymore.
On a simmilar note, the Ferrari's in La Festa Cavallino have tuning parts in them, you can tell by their sound, and by the fact that the 512BB can keep up with an Italia.

There are a few random road cars producing race car levels of downforce, such as the R390. Ok, it is essentially the LM car, but it has as much df as a JGTC, and almost as much rear df as an LMP when you put a spoiler on it.

Yeah Ive noticed some races have tuned cars and not standard power. You can hear the exhaust and sometimes you will notice the bluish hue of titanium exhaust on some of the AI cars so you know you dealing with a tweaked car.

Problem is on what planet is a tuned Muira going to outgun a Mclaren F1, VW Nardo, Veyron, ACR, GTR, Saleen S7 etc in a high speed or twisty track. I know which planet. GT5 Planet lol. Not a big deal at all just wish more of the fast cars reflected that in some of the series that GT5 has. Its just a game but I wish they were a little more realistic with the programming.

Latest Posts

Back