CHEAP Cockpit Alternatives ONLY

• Thread starter mnarciso
  • 1,923 comments
Guys, can the shifter on the DFGT be moved? I assume it can't by looking at all these pictures, but thought I'd make sure.

Thanks.

I know the shift handle/lever can be removed from the DFP's, although it can not be used after that.
Unlike the G series wheels and like sideshowfrost said, it is encased in the same unit as the wheel

Hi, I cut a stool, Franklin (Ikea).
2-9-stoolikea.jpg

postazione1.jpg

postazione2.jpg

The beginning (start) ...

... of a very cheap and nice playframe.​

kikie what with all the wood up front I've seen your wheel add-ons? If you put all that on it you will never get it out of that room! Trim about 20 feet off the front:dopey:. OK maybe 2 feet.

Loving the retro thing you've got going on in there 👍 Would be fun to mount an 8 track deck to your cockpit!

PS: I want that stool in the corner. A lot.
Thanks

What tool? :confused:

kikie what with all the wood up front I've seen your wheel add-ons? If you put all that on it you will never get it out of that room! Trim about 20 feet off the front:dopey:. OK maybe 2 feet.
If you mean why the frame is so long, well it's for future stuff like pedals, working dashbord and a monitor stand.

Stool :) upper left corner of the photo
Oops :embarrassed:: hehe :D

Not for sale! ;) Sowwy

I'm going to make something to mount to pedal on. I'm not going to invert them. They are perfect the way they are, except for the brake pedal. I do want a pressure or a load sensor brake pedal.

Inverted the pedals today only to see if it is better or not and it isn't. Reassemble the pedals and hard mounted them on the wooden frame. Much better this way.

Things still to do; shifter, dashboard, switch box, cables, heighten the frame, install 7.1 loudspeakers and when I decide to buy a monitor make a monitor stand

I bought that seat a couple of years ago in a car shop. I never knew from which car it is but a couple of days ago I saw a sticker on the bottom with Monza on. Is this a Opel/Vauxhal Monza or another Monza, I don't know.

So it's a Recaro seat for Monza.

Figured I might as well get around to putting pics up in here.

Started off with an AK Rocker 100, some steel in various shapes and sizes, and a bunch of PVC and ended up with this.

The seat is stabilized by 4 2" diameter pvc feet to keep it from rocking. Since packing the AK Rocker full of foam padding it is comfortable for basically as long as I want it to be.

The frame that the pedals are attached to is 1" pvc reinforced by 90 degree bend steel to keep it from flexing. The angle of the pedals is adjustable as is the distance of the pedals. The entire rack that holds the wheel and pedals completely detaches from the chair. Designed it to do this thinking it would save storage space while keeping it easy to setup but I honestly never take it apart, I just scoot it into an adjacent room when not using it.

The surround sound speakers mounted on the chair run to RCA leads that are right next to my PS3 which in turn run to my receiver. One RCA each for LR, RR, and center (which is what is in the seat in the pics). Total setup time is seriously two minutes.

The paddles on the DFGT are DIY and really take the wheel to the next level. The only thing I wish it had now are the pedals from a G25/27.

I paid $20 USD for the AK Rocker off Craigslist and the rest of PVC and steel/whatnot probably cost an additional $70ish USD. I've rebuilt/designed it so many times I'm not sure on the actual cost.

We'll see how long this one lives considering I'm really wanting to build a frame from 2" PVC, pulling a seat out of a Subaru Impreza, and inverting my DFGT pedals (already know how I want to do it but its going to have to wait until I build a new cockpit).

If you want pictures of something specifically or want something explained in a more coherent manner, let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Edit: The surround sound speakers are a new addition and so yet haven't gotten a wire wrap treatment. They are awesome but I think I'm going to ditch them and go with a surround sound headset though.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
Figured I might as well get around to putting pics up in here.

If you want pictures of something specifically or want something explained in a more coherent manner, let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Edit: The surround sound speakers are a new addition and so yet haven't gotten a wire wrap treatment. They are awesome but I think I'm going to ditch them and go with a surround sound headset though.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Can't see the pics...

How about now?

Edit: Well I guess inserting an image from an album on GTPlanet doesn't work, so I put it on Photobucket and did it that way and it seems to work now.

Last edited:
Where did you get the paddle shifters and how did you attach them to your DFGT wheel?

They are straight DIY. My original idea was to mount the paddles to a ring that would mount to the round back part of the wheel, that way I could take out the five or so bolts already there and replace them with longer ones. Doing that would leave the wheel itself practically unmodified but I couldn't get a ring the right size and lacked tools to make one the right size. Still on the look out for a cheap ring or a cheap way to make a ring the right size because it would pretty it up a bit, as well as make it a lot easier to mount.

A rethink of the paddle hinges is in order too, those hinges are way to bulky, I want to do something along the lines of the G27, but I just have to figure out how. As it is, the bolts and pieces look a little too jumbled together to make me completely happy, but it is absolutely rock solid as far as performance. My prediction is, however, that if I continue to tinker with this thing all the while longing for the pedals of the G27, and I will end up just buying a G27, haha.

I'm pretty well convinced that somebody with the proper tools could probably make something that looks better, possibly something that they could sell. But I have a feeling it would be closer to $100 USD to sell it, especially if they are using a water jet or something fancy like that.

I just finished mine up today, well I still want to powder coat it but that's going to have to wait for a couple months to when I can tear myself away from GT5. I got the idea from this thread...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=87508&page=18

It's composed of mainly 1" square tubing. Right now I have some pipe insulation around it to protect the carpet and hide the sharp edges and such.

I do have a CAD file of the design as well as dimensioned out prints but I will say it is pretty user specific with the only adjustability being in the seat slider.

CIMG5702.jpg

CIMG5706.jpg

CIMG5703.jpg

CIMG5707.jpg

Back