CHEAP Cockpit Alternatives ONLY

• Thread starter mnarciso
  • 1,923 comments
how much does the apex vgear stand cost??

and here's 2 pictures of the new stand.

apexvstand_qtrfrntlft_G27.jpg

apexvstand_fold.jpg

I hope folks realize this is a guy working out of his garage shop who is a racing enthusiast crazy enough to come out with a solid racing stand that folds flat (8 inches high), fully adjustable, in a good price range.

I'm not posting the website or contact info out of respect. If folks are interested, this is easy enough to find.

Some interesting builds! Love the DIY! Here is my build using PVC pipes painted with a black rubber coating. Some of the wires are tucked in the pipes. Sand is at the bottom PVC pipe to give the stand more weight. The wheel itself sits on a wood block with CF look film over top. Also added a stand for the PS Eye to use the head tracking in GT5! Complete costs me under $30

Hope you don't mind, but I'm pinching your idea and making mine this weekend. Simple but looks great; Home Depot here I come :)

Nice, kikie...

Any reason why you're not angling your pedals? Seems so strange to have that seating position and completely flat pedals.

;)

Nice, kikie...

Any reason why you're not angling your pedals? Seems so strange to have that seating position and completely flat pedals.

;)
Thanks Delphic Reason!

Well, I tried different setups. I inverted the pedals (see #1578), I use to angle the pedals (few years back). It's very compfortable for me this way. The position of the seat is not that high in comparison with the pedals. Angling the pedals is compfortable as well.

You're right, it looks strange but as long as it doesn't FEEL strange it's ok with me.

If you look very carefully, you can see that the pedals aren't lined up straight with the seating position. That's how I like it. :D

I could try to take a picture to show the position of the pedals in comparison with the seat but the room is only 2.5m by 2.5m and I don't think I can get everything on one photo. I can try though.

Thanks Delphic Reason!

Well, I tried different setups. I inverted the pedals (see #1578), I use to angle the pedals (few years back). It's very compfortable for me this way. The position of the seat is not that high in comparison with the pedals. Angling the pedals is compfortable as well.

You're right, it looks strange but as long as it doesn't FEEL strange it's ok with me.

If you look very carefully, you can see that the pedals aren't lined up straight with the seating position. That's how I like it. :D

I could try to take a picture to show the position of the pedals in comparison with the seat but the room is only 2.5m by 2.5m and I don't think I can get everything on one photo. I can try though.

I'm surprised you didn't stick with the inverted setup.

Well, if it's comfortable for you, that's all that matters.

My ankles would be on fire after playing like that for a few minutes. I absolutely had to either invert or angle my G25 pedals. It feels so odd pushing the pedals into the floor, rather than the more common pedal travel you experience in most real cars.

You planning on painting your setup?

BTW, I absolutely loooooooooooove the Recaro seat. Pure class.

;)

I'm surprised you didn't stick with the inverted setup.

Well, if it's comfortable for you, that's all that matters.

My ankles would be on fire after playing like that for a few minutes. I absolutely had to either invert or angle my G25 pedals. It feels so odd pushing the pedals into the floor, rather than the more common pedal travel you experience in most real cars.

You planning on painting your setup?

BTW, I absolutely loooooooooooove the Recaro seat. Pure class.

;)
Maybe I inverted the pedals at a wrong angle, I don't know but it didn't feel right.

Nope no paint, it stays "naturel". :P

It's not finished yet. I still have to make something to put my dashbord and other symprojects stuff on and switches, buttons etc... and a 7" USB Lilliput monitor for rDisplay, TaKatec.
Make a monitor stand, altough I'm not going to get a monitor yet (money issues :D)

Hide all the cables

Make something to give the shifter a more firm and realistic feeling when shifting. I already improved it but the shift lever is too long to really feel the improvement I made.

Last edited:
Looks great!👍 I love your seat too. Be carefull with that shifter mod, it'll be broken by a hard movement.. and it is difficult to buy a new shifter
Thanks for the warning but I'm a very gentle person. :D

EDIT and UPDATE:

If someone is interested, I just made these photos.

You can clearly see that the angle of my legs is not too high, or is it big.
You can also see that I misaligned the pedales on purpose.

Last edited:
Well... I ended up going the Ikea way. It's been ready since the 23rd, but I was aiming to finish it up bit before posting photos. But I seem to never get round to it since I've been driving it instead :D

I'll post something today, however it looks.

Hi everyone,
Here's my setup. I had been thinking of making a stand out of PVC so I could easily use my DFGT from my couch as I couldn't justify buying a wheel stand pro but in my searching came across a user who used one of those Black and Decker Workmates. I took a look at the current lineup on their site and didn't see one that would work well as a wheel stand. However, a user on a Forza forum mentioned this Ridgid Flip top work surface. I found one at my local Home Depot for $30.

The only modification I did was cut the center beam down because there it was too long and hit the floor when I had the surface at the right height. That took all of 30 seconds with a recip saw with a metal cutting blade but I'm sure a good hack saw would work too if you don't have a recip saw.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The other user further modified it to angle towards the couch by cutting the length of the front leg; I may do that at a later date but for now it works great all I do is put a large throw pillow behind my back for extra support and to make me sit slightly closer to the wheel. The Pedals are separate but I don't mind.

It folds up nicely (the legs are flush against the center thing) and the tray top has a variety of positions you can flip it to for storage and lock it in with a cotter pin. Fits easily in my coat closet and I put the pedals above it on a shelf.

I'm thrilled with how well it works. Credit to Wooball on the Forza forum though, great find! Here's his thread( I hope we're allowed to link to other forums) http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/3284552.aspx

Last edited:
Hey Cardiff, I bought the same work stand from home depot today, but I don't like how unstable it is. Have you seen any modifications that stabilize the locking mechanism?

Hey Cardiff, I bought the same work stand from home depot today, but I don't like how unstable it is. Have you seen any modifications that stabilize the locking mechanism?

I take it you mean locking the tilt mechanism of the actual platform part (the part that says Ridgid on it)? If so, haven't seen anything yet but that is my one complaint about it after a couple hours playing. There's a tiny bit of play if you try and lift up on the wheel. It's far from a deal breaker for me but it is there. I tried inserting a bolt through the other set of holes to see if that did anything and it didn't. I then tried tightening up the nuts and bolts that it pivots on and that didn't seem to do much either (though I'll admit I didn't tighten too much because I was afraid I'd crack the plastic).

If you think of anything please let me know. Like I said, for me it's still a great solution but there definitely is a tiny bit of play in that pivot mechanism.

How stable is that? It seems like a cheap and super easy solution I just wonder if it would tilt or rock side to side. Do you use a chair or do you sit on a couch when you use that?

It's stable, don't move side to side, because I put some gum under the stools feets.
My stools is 63cm high, I use the coach.
Another Franklin is 74cm high

Last edited:
I am using a 24" 1080p monitor sitting only 18" from my eyes (I like my monitor really close). As you can see, any closer, and it would interfere with my steering wheel.

My FOV is 60 degrees (24" monitor at 18"). This is equivalent to a 120" screen at 8 feet!

My legs are unobstructed. I have the pedals offset to the right side since I only use my right foot for gas and brake.

azdkj3.jpg

Last edited:
That is an incredibly elegant design. Simple, but very effective, I imagine. Although, that seat might get uncomfortable after an hour or more.

;)

My f1st post is not home made.
AK Designs AK100 + Xlerator Wheel Stand

I got Xlerator Regular stand for good price on eBay and AK100 from craiglist since AK Designs is out of business and can't get new one.
Regular size does not have adjustable. However, I can just get PVC pipe from Homedeopt to add extention.

5241935795_56e6d41ec7_m.jpg

It's OK holding if I don't drive crazy. but, it much better fit with deep sofer.
I need to modify a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks!

$30 Ikea laptop table
$5 Ikea laptop stand
$15 of screws, nuts, bolts
$7 sheet of MDF
$5 3/4" plumbing baseplate and nipple
$10 felt
==
$72

The base and red post are very solid, the top wiggles a bit side-to-side. I broke the tightening mechanism on the laptop stand (tightened too much) so I temporarily drilled a bolt through (the bolt/butterfly nut near the top of the red post) until I think of a better solution.

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5384.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

I built this for a little over $100 including the seat. The picture is dark because my theater doesn't have much lighting. It works and looks great. IT gets the WAF

2dt18cn.jpg

Back