Circuit de Sainte-Croix is Fantastic!

• Thread starter KinLM
  • 200 comments

Do you think this new circuit is one of PD’s best?

• Yes, it’s at the top

• No, it’s horrible

• I’m somewhere in the middle; not terrible but not too good

Results are only viewable after voting.
The C circuit has grown on me after initially not liking it. It's a great challenge to string together an entire lap around there but the scenery in the first sector could do with some work. Plus the excessive use of barriers in some places leaves something to be desired. Overall though, love the C circuit as it's a great driving challenge where the A and B are also good but not as good.

Not the best fictional circuit but still a great one.

tre
View attachment 755731
Possible circuit variants pending updates to route, temporary barriers and junctions.

- Green variants should be good to go as is.
- Yellow variants should be good pending corner note 1 junction.
- Orange variants might need additional modification to corner notes 2/3 junctions.
- Red variants will most likely need modifications to corner notes 4/5 junctions.

So for anyone who likes the ST.CROIX-track, which variants do would you like to see in future updates to the game?
I think layout J is best

Not quite sure of the Le Mans comparisons. OK it has road to circuit mix but then many circuits do.
Overall I think it's fantastic, all 3 variations. C layout is by far my favourite followed by A. If I could compare the feel of it to anything it would be Road America. It has many sections that really remind me of that circuit.
And the best part of St Croix is I reckon it has at least 3 more variations that could appear in the future. I hope they make them and resist the temptation to put over rated circuits like Trial Mountain, Deep Forest and Midfield back in.
A solid 8 out of 10 overall.

I've only used layout A and enjoyed it. The only issue I have is that there are too many samey 90 degree corners.

If you look at the layout, and were told to guess where it is, you'd guess it was an American street circuit.

upload_2018-8-1_11-27-7.png

I look forward to trying out the other layouts.

It might just be me wanting to see these things but driving all three tracks I got flavors of Le Mans, Dijion-Prenios and Rouen Les Essarts.

But yes.. too many right angle corners in A. B and C feel like they have less.

Last edited:
We tested yesterday Version A and I personally liked it.

But, I must say, I'm to lazy to learn 3 Layouts with each reversal = 6 lines

Generally my thinking is a track should be driven only 1 direction
A real track should only be driven in the direction that it is in real life (Knockhill has a license to be used in both directions) but there is no reason not to use both directions for a made up track.

For disclosure I haven't driven Croix yet, but the problem that I have with the fantasy tracks minus one or two exceptions is that they are all appear to be too clean and smooth - they're like brand new tracks on their opening day. The track surface is millimetre perfect - no dips or bumps or off camber sections. Boring and characterless is how I would describe them.

I'm not against the fantasy tracks per se, but I do wish PD would rough them up a bit, and make them feel a little more like a track that's been patched over multiple times throughout the years.

Agree, but Croix has a few undulations here and there with some cambered corners but it’s nothing like Deep Forest and Trial Mountain. I’m assuming the FIA aspect of this game is prompting the types of tracks we’re getting.

Not my favorite circuit but it’s ok. But let’s face it, the majority of PD’s fictional tracks are like this anyway (Grand Valley, Cape Ring, High Speed Ring come to mind).

I really do miss Autumn Ring, Apricot Hill, Midfield, Sierra and the Alsace mixed surface tracks of yore..

What a bizarre track they've created. It's unlike any original track they've created before and feels completely different to how they usually design original tracks. Usually their original tracks feels flowy like a roller coaster while looking like fantasy streets that were freshly teleported into the middle of nowhere.

Croix though, it almost feels like a real street course but the tarmac is seemingly fresh and for the most part free of natural bumps and aberrations. The art design though, it should have probably looked morel like a frankensteined street course with way more patchwork-like transitions like the gradient going up to the bridge. On layout A the excessive amount of 90 degree turns feels oddly arbitrary and not designed around any kind of surface street layout, a missed opportunity, blocked off 4-way intersections would have looked more fun.

I still don't know if I like it or not. I used to hate the infield layouts of the speedway but I love those now so there's no telling. Once the actual track limits are figured out and I acclimate more to it I'll begin to feel the track's gimmicks more and determine if I like it or not. Right now it just feels like a bunch of fast late braking drifty turns onto disconnected short drag strips giving it this weird arcade feel.

What do you mean?

Would Trial Mountain be something you’d see in a FIA race with it’s zero runoff areas with boulders for boundaries, dead trees hanging precariously over the roadway and dips and valleys where cars become airborne?

This game is partnered with the FIA, isn’t it? As a result we get tracks lined with Armco and clear cut corners.

Would Trial Mountain be something you’d see in a FIA race with it’s zero runoff areas with boulders for boundaries, dead trees hanging precariously over the roadway and dips and valleys where cars become airborne?

This game is partnered with the FIA, isn’t it? As a result we get tracks lined with Armco and clear cut corners.

Maybe we don't want cars going airborne because this isnt rally racing? I don't know why you would want that.

Circuit de Sante-Croix doesn't have a lot of runoff area, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The track seems pretty PD to me considering we go over a bridge...

Maybe we don't want cars going airborne because this isnt rally racing? I don't know why you would want that.

Tell me something I don’t know already. And I don’t know why you want to drive a slot car.

A lot of the turns don't have a lot of fun off area, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Run off and you get a windshield of metal. What’s more forgiving in reality? A rock, a tree, or steel? Or does it really matter considering there’s no critical damage in these races anyway? But that’s a whole different discussion altogether.

Tbh the main problem with the new track is the lack of a track based BoP.

Even if the new Ford GT wasn't there, you can pretty much guarantee nearly everyone would be in one car. Tracks with long straights might be good for slipstreaming, but they are crap for BoP as top speed matters so much.

Just have a look at the last FIA manufacturers race at Le Mans. I was in a Beetle, and basically it got crushed by everything else in a straight line and that meant there was very little I could do.

The track itself seems ok(not practiced enough to make my mind up, but I like the section before the bridge), but the fact it is a one make race makes it pretty unattractive to a lot of racers.

Run off and you get a windshield of metal. What’s more forgiving in reality? A rock, a tree, or steel? Or does it really matter considering there’s no critical damage in these races anyway? But that’s a whole different discussion altogether.

I apologize, but I dont understand the argument you're making.

I prefer to see racing walls than rock as it makes the track feel more realistic.

Why does it matter if a guard rail is safer than rock? This is a video game, I doubt the FiA cares about our safety. Also, once again, we go over a huge bridge. Wheel to wheel contact IRL could possibly end with a car falling off the bridge entirely

I don't like it for these reasons:

• Strangely wide for it's inherent nature.
  • Tilke-like corners all over the place.
  • Barriers and generic tree walls hide much of the Provence scenery.
  • Some sectors are almost eerily lifeless.
  • Looks effortless overall much like tracks generated by course maker.
Nothing good to say about it really, and reverse should have been the default direction. Total crap compared the original circuits PD made 15-20 years ago.

I apologize, but I dont understand the argument you're making.

I prefer to see racing walls than rock as it makes the track feel more realistic.

Why does it matter if a guard rail is safer than rock? This is a video game, I doubt the FiA cares about our safety. Also, once again, we go over a huge bridge. Wheel to wheel contact IRL could possibly end with a car falling off the bridge entirely

No need to apologize. The point I’m trying to make is; PD is likely creating tracks that could simulate a FIA sanctioned event. That’s why we don’t get tracks like Trial Mountain. And yes, cars could fly off the bridge. Not sure how anyone could manage that on the straightaway, but it’s a video game after all. I’m sure it’s already been attempted.

I like the esses in the B track, but that's about the only thing. I think all 3 tracks in general are a fail on PD's part. They are just not fun, and too much like a city track.

Tbh the main problem with the new track is the lack of a track based BoP.

Even if the new Ford GT wasn't there, you can pretty much guarantee nearly everyone would be in one car. Tracks with long straights might be good for slipstreaming, but they are crap for BoP as top speed matters so much

Not sure I can agree with that. How many GT3 cars have you used? I initially tried the Ford GT and found that while it is quick on the straights it's poor on the brakes and not the cleanest of cornerers. I tried 3 others; Renault RS01, Mercedes AMG GT and Ferrari 458. The 458 was easily the slowest on the long straight but on the brakes and corners it hammered everything else. It was 4 seconds a lap faster for me than anything else and bagged me 3 race C wins!

Last edited:
And yes, cars could fly off the bridge. Not sure how anyone could manage that on the straightaway, but it’s a video game after all. I’m sure it’s already been attempted.

I was referring to real life where this is possible. Check out the first incident in the video.

But I get the point you're trying to make. If that is the, then I wouldn't count out those old tracks returning but with upgrades.

If the FiA had any choice in track selection, one would think they'd push for real world, FiA grade tracks.

I don't mind the layouts to drive, but I do find them visually a little boring - the tree lined sections especially all feel a bit samey. Chase cam provides a slightly better view of the surrounding scenery, but in bumper cam a lot of it can't be seen.

B's my favourite so far. Haven't put in so much time on the others yet, or any of the reverse layouts.

MMX
They are just not fun, and too much like a city track.

I can see what you mean, but I find the difference is that on a city circuit there's never any space to take the 90° corners "enthusuastically" (i.e. cut and run wide), whereas here you can, which makes it a bit more exciting (Though London circuit was still one of my favourites!)

I don't mind the layouts to drive, but I do find them visually a little boring - the tree lined sections especially all feel a bit samey. Chase cam provides a slightly better view of the surrounding scenery, but in bumper cam a lot of it can't be seen.

B's my favourite so far. Haven't put in so much time on the others yet, or any of the reverse layouts.

I can see what you mean, but I find the difference is that on a city circuit there's never any space to take the 90° corners "enthusuastically" (i.e. cut and run wide), whereas here you can, which makes it a bit more exciting (Though London circuit was still one of my favourites!)
I've never been a fan of city tracks, so I'm probably more critical than most. Seattle Circuit, which is loved by a lot of people, I personally can't stand. Our current Tokyo track, I could never turn another lap there, and be fine with it.

I did a bunch more C races tonight and T2 is pretty much always a giant mess of ghosted cars. No run off, square corner with walls for cars to bounce off on either side. T3 at least has some run off yet in both T2 and T3 you're best off braking early and sticking right the inside and hope all the obstacles bouncing around ghost in time.

The walls after the bridge should be replaced with grass like Brand's hatch. Sure it's a great corner onto the straight to get right, yet when someone scrapes the wall in front of you, you're screwed, let them fly off instead.

The sweeping section near the end is a bit better yet still too little room next to the track thus more cars bouncing back. I do keep losing interest in that section, so samey, 3 corners too many. The final corner needs a short cut penalty for cars using the grass onto the pit lane and diving back in front of you right after.

However ghosting is much better now (or just on this track) Cars that hit the walls ghost instantly so 90% of the time a car bouncing of the wall can simply be driven through. I have once hit a ghost though, glitch I guess. It's just not very realistic with all the wall bouncing and ghosting. If the game would render dents in the wall like skid marks it would look like some modern art sculpture.

Not sure I can agree with that. How many GT3 cars have you used? I initially tried the Ford GT and found that while it is quick on the tracks it's poor on the brakes and not the cleanest of cornerers. I tried 3 others; Renault RS01, Mercedes AMG GT and Ferrari 458. The 458 was easily the slowest on the long straight but on the brakes and corners it hammered everything else. It was 4 seconds a lap faster for me than anything else and bagged me 3 race C wins!

I tried the Mustang and NSX and in both races I got hammered by Fords, dropping me to SR.B. The NSX was much faster in the corners yet driving the Ford GT in map 2, I'm still faster over all. I haven't tried the Ferrari yet as I have bad experience with the 458's tire wear.

Back