Clean Road Car Racing LeagueOpen 

• Thread starter RewindTape
  • 641 comments
Sorry guys but I'm going to have to opt out of this league for now, the time is a bit inconvenient for me but I may be back at a future date :)

I will try and get some additional practice in tonight, too - but I was on last night, I will definitely be on tomorrow - might have to give it a miss this evening in order to keep relations with the wife on a civil footing :)

I was reasonably quick at Brands Hatch in the Countach anyway, so that's OK - and I've basically given up on the concept of catching the wheel users for he Dino / Tsubuka event (Ushu/Vuja/others?). Some cars really appreciate the finest of gentle, analogue touches, and these cars respond well to a wheel. I just cannot keep up with you fellas. I don't know - maybe over 30 laps I'll realise that I have a line through a certain part of the circuit that isn't good, but to me my line seems fine, but I just drop back, only a bit, but lap after lap. Seems the Dino really appreciates just the right amount of throttle out of the bends, and a tiny amount of trail braking on the way in. It's hard to be consistent with the DS3 when you are moving the sticks 1/4mm :)

Whereas the Countach seems a much more 'digital' car. Brake in a straight line, chuck it hard at the apex, stomp the throttle to tighten the line slightly - bingo. Suits me, I hope.

I feel racing at the Tsukuba track is challenging. If you lose time there due to an off track gardening experience or something, it's very, very difficult to make up that time. Last night after my bucked and spade episode in the final corner, I gained perhaps a second in eight laps, but lost four by pushing too hard to gain more. It's going to make a fun race there again, I think! And who knows what will happen if it starts to rain... :)

On Brands Hatch, I believe I have the pace, but my consistency is way down! (That first feminine canine corner!) My pace varies wildly between 1.33 and 1.43 laps. Here I think tyre wear will come into play too. My left rear tyre takes quite a beating, and I can't seem to do much about it. It looks like it'll be good fun here too tomorrow.

Sorry guys but I'm going to have to opt out of this league for now, the time is a bit inconvenient for me but I may be back at a future date :)

OK. Too bad, but life's like that.
You're welcome to race any one race anyway, as the grid has never been consistently full. ;)

Anyone got any idea how many we are expecting later? Looks like 5, really, doesn't it. Vuja, marco, elen(?), Ush and myself. It'll be a good race, no doubt - but OH how I'd like to see 12 cars on the grid! Maybe the alleded and fabled 'social tools' will sort this for us when they arrive...

I question marked elen because I've not bumped into him online for a while. Still around, elen?

Elen was online yesterday but left just before you joined Least.

He will race today and maybe ToniXC, Elen's friend who raced with us the other day at Tsukuba, he is very fast indeed by the way.

So maybe we are 6. Not too many though.

TAK and TrueEndurance are supposed to race too, see first post, so hopefuly we are 8!

Lobby open.

Anyone got any idea how many we are expecting later? Looks like 5, really, doesn't it. Vuja, marco, elen(?), Ush and myself. It'll be a good race, no doubt - but OH how I'd like to see 12 cars on the grid! Maybe the alleded and fabled 'social tools' will sort this for us when they arrive...

I question marked elen because I've not bumped into him online for a while. Still around, elen?

Elen was online yesterday but left just before you joined Least.

He will race today and maybe ToniXC, Elen's friend who raced with us the other day at Tsukuba, he is very fast indeed by the way.

So maybe we are 6. Not too many though.

TAK and TrueEndurance are supposed to race too, see first post, so hopefuly we are 8!

Hmm... yeah... The invite response have been a little underwhelming. Let's hope we can do alright anyway.

Was an excellent night, and not a bad turnout either. Was a shame about the connection issues, but there you go. We can consider a change to the host? I'd suggest Vuja is still officially in charge, as he's a great organiser, but the actual hosting goes to someone else. Does anyone else agree with my experience, which is that I don't really experience any connection issues, except when I'm trying to get into Vuja's lobby... It's weird, and also a shame.

Was an excellent night, and not a bad turnout either. Was a shame about the connection issues, but there you go. We can consider a change to the host? I'd suggest Vuja is still officially in charge, as he's a great organiser, but the actual hosting goes to someone else. Does anyone else agree with my experience, which is that I don't really experience any connection issues, except when I'm trying to get into Vuja's lobby... It's weird, and also a shame.

First race was just great! 👍

The second I was plenty annoyed that I had to drive the whole race on Hard tyres. :banghead:
My apologies to anyone that suffered because of it. It's a race best forgotten by me.

Something has to be done about the connection issues! We had about half an hour of wasted time due to them, and it's so irritating as I don't know why I have them! :mad:

I have no problem delegating the hosting to someone else if it rids us of the 🤬 network problems.

Last edited:
Some thoughts about last night:

-The race at Tsukuba was really good fun. Ushu and Least were just too quick for everyone, but the "middle group" was really eventful. And it was a big middle group; Vuja, elen, Toni, speed and me, all close in terms of race pace. Probably I was one of the slowest in that group, but I ended up 3rd just because I was lucky to stay away from mishaps and exits on the grass. And it was just a mandatory pit-stop for everyone, but different timing has meant that the race was even more eventful.

-Brands Hatch, well...it has been a disaster for me. I've touched the grass after a good start, went off and damaged my car. Then, while trying to let ushu pass, the car decided to instantly flick to the right, while he was going through at full speed. I owe him my apologies once again. I don't know if it's only for me, or only for pad users, but in GT6 is a lot harder to control the car when damaged. At that point I wasn't focused enough and made other mistakes and pit-stop, dragging myself to the checkered flag.

-Great to see a reasonably large grid. Maybe without those annoying connection issues we could have reached 10-12 drivers. And unfortunately TAK was a bit too late. Anyway, good signs for the future. As Least said, my only troubles are when joining Vuja's lobby. And as Vuja said, it's a new thing, arrived with GT6.

-Pit-stop issues: I think they're due to excessive aggressiveness in the pit entry, especially when the pit lane isn't straight like at Brands Hatch, or Spa. As I was saying in the lobby there's an ideal "check point"; if you catch it the pit menu appears, if you miss it the game does all automatically. Since we don't know where that point is and how you miss or catch it, it's probably recommendable to go through the pit entry as smoothly as possible and not diving into it at full speed.

-Thanks to all those who participated. Great way to spend a night at home.

Hi!

Good racing last night, a blast as usual.

Tsukuba&Ferrrari Dino

What can I say, a dream ride, normally I am more used to low PP cars and comfort tires as they are more progressive and more life like if you know what I mean.

Pole position, fastest lap and consistency throughout the race, what can I say, happy about that. Rain was kind of a surprise but track conditions remained at 0% all the time, weird...

I made my pitstop at lap 20 I think whereas Least stopped at lap 17, then he gained some time on me but my tires were better at the end of the race, all in all a good start for the championship.

Brands Hatch&Lamborghini Countach 25th

First of all sorry about my penalty, I did not realize about the compund tire change, I though it was the same as for the first race, mandatory pit stop. Actually I was like :confused: when I saw the penalty, 100 seconds for what? I thought I lost second place but for some miracle I stll managed second, not bad in the end.

Qualifying was a matter of bad luck, I just slowed down in order to get a clean lap at the beginning, so I managed a 1.33.8xx and at the time I was just going full gas I crashed into Elen, he was slowing down moved to the left I moved to the left and heavy damage :lol:, going to the pits and I just had one more attempt, not enough for pole but for a second place.

At the start I overtook Least and then an epic battle for 3 laps until I met miss Sandy, we were side by side separated by inches and I could not hold it onto the track, at that time I knew Least was out of my sight, I was just on third behind Marco and then fatality, it seems he spun out and damged his car a bi later at the time I was overtaking him, bang! crash, spin and hit into the barriers for heavy damage, I pitted to repair and fresh tires by lap 5,race over I thought... as it turned out to be I was not :censored:ed up that much compared to others :D

I barely watched the replay but Vuja all the time your car was shown as badly damaged for the whole race?

I gotta say that Brands Hatch is quite a tricky race track, so difficult to judge correctly the braking points, scary every lap, the feeling that you are constantly on the edge and every little error kills you. I love it! it is like the Nurb but on a short version, every lap is different at least to me.

So happy we were 8/9 drivers and with a bit of luck on regards to connectivity a bit more, and I pretty much like how clean and fair we raced each other, a pleasure my friends a real pleasure.

Cheers!

Championship Edit: Added results for Race Day 1.

Check this out

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/online-pitstops-are-completely-broken.294836/

Maybe all races should force mandatory pit stop but without compound change, otherwise we could compromise all results based on a random bug.

🤬
That's definitely a huge bug regarding our league!
We want more strategies, but conscious strategies. I could not enjoy race 2 because of my frustration to why I had to drive on the Hard compound. The bug seems to be more severe than that thread indicates, as I had CS, SH, SM, and SS tyres bought for the car; but I could only use CS and SH! :banghead:
What if we're doing an endurance, and some drivers can't use all the allowed compounds (as was my case). It's almost a show stopper regarding the league as we don't know what's causing it. :boggled:

It's... I... 🤬

[...]
I barely watched the replay but Vuja all the time your car was shown as badly damaged for the whole race?
[...]

No, twice was enough! :dopey:
I think the replay gets confused when you skip ahead and it doesn't render the pit stop.

Thanks a lot Vuja for updating results!

Our beloved Nurb 24h track is waiting by the way!

Good luck to Elen on their trip to the green hell, I hope he has a decent weather for a complete track day experience.

From the thread @usuhaia08 linked:
[...]

A: No choices at all
B: limited choices of inappropriate tires
C: Full options

Randomly, not everyone gets the same thing, 5 could get A, 5 get B and 5 get C, all in the same race. Even in 1 make races where you are not responsible for purchasing the tires.

So it is Russian roulette, just hope you dodge the bullet.

This is really disconcerting!

I think the best way to proceed is just with pragmatism at this stage. PD will probably fix the issue in a future update; until then we just have to work with what we have. I suggest then that we abandon compound changes, as it's clearly no good if it works for some people and not others.

It's annoying if your strategies don't work, yes, but for me that aspect of the game is secondary to the feel of close racing, and that is not affected if we just agree on a single compound. For the upcoming race 500PP Nordschliefe race I suggest that we quality, start and finish on Sports Medium - then we are all in the same boat.

Looking forward to it :)

I think the best way to proceed is just with pragmatism at this stage. PD will probably fix the issue in a future update; until then we just have to work with what we have. I suggest then that we abandon compound changes, as it's clearly no good if it works for some people and not others.

It's annoying if your strategies don't work, yes, but for me that aspect of the game is secondary to the feel of close racing, and that is not affected if we just agree on a single compound. For the upcoming race 500PP Nordschliefe race I suggest that we quality, start and finish on Sports Medium - then we are all in the same boat.

Looking forward to it :)

Yeah, it'll get patched for sure. It might be part of the reason we don't have B-spec or endurance races yet.

But if I understand correctly, it's just not the compound change setting but the pit stops themselves. There's just no way of knowing what you'll get when entering the pits. :nervous:
Man, the pit crews must be smoking some bad rock n' roll cigarettes... :dopey:

So, as I understand it, we'd have to forgo any race that would require pit stops. For some we can change the tyre wear speed and all will be fine, but I wonder about the 2 hour endurance races.

Edit:
If it is indeed the Compound setting, we'll just skip it and do as before. :)
My memory might be failing me, but I seem to recall that the Fast Wear setting is what was default in GT5. Then SS and pit every other lap was the only way to go to be competitive. But what if, depending on car and driving, you could in GT6 stretch the SS to three or four laps?
Hmm... yeah... we need to do some testing... Is anyone available tonight?​

Incidentally, I did some car tryouts yesterday, and it's between the Ferrari 365 GTB4 '71 and (predictably :P) the RUF RGT '00. In both I can do 8.59 laps on Sport Soft, but I don't know how the tyre wear is, or the online handling. Is there any way to test the wear offline?

Last edited:
Did we experience any pit stop issue at Tsukuba?

If the answer is no then we can expect the same if the mandatory tyre compound change is not enabled for the Nurb race.

In both I can do 8.59 laps on Sport Soft, but I don't know how the tyre wear is, or the online handling. Is there any way to test the wear offline?

I am afraid there is no option which is disappointing.

By the way are we practicing today? We can do a short race with mandatory pit stop but with no tyre compound change and check how it goes.

Did we experience any pit stop issue at Tsukuba?

If the answer is no then we can expect the same if the mandatory tyre compound change is not enabled for the Nurb race.

In both I can do 8.59 laps on Sport Soft, but I don't know how the tyre wear is, or the online handling. Is there any way to test the wear offline?

I am afraid there is no option which is disappointing.

By the way are we practicing today? We can do a short race with mandatory pit stop but with no tyre compound change and check how it goes.

True, usuh! Nobody reported problems there, so it could just be the setting. Hoorah! 👍

Yes, practice session tonight!
Can we try a new host too? Who's the fella with the rock solid high speed connection? :P

I'll try and be there, gents. I have a car in mind, as it's been competitive on online races, but I have no idea what times it might be capable of.

Weirdly, the fastest car at 500PP that I've ever seen at the 'Ring was a tuned Civic type R. I just could not keep up, regardless. The guy was obviously very good, but no-one is 25 seconds per lap better than me when I'm on form, so it must have been the car - and keeping up just was not possible, not with anything I tried. I'm not using one though - I tried, and couldn't get a setup that I was happy with (admittedly I didn't try for a long time - not enough style in that car :)), couldn't see the speed, either.

Thanks to all who showed up last night. I had some fantastic racing, all fun. :)

But, man, I'm too slow! ...or you guys are too quick. Either way, when certainly Toni and Least storm 'round The 'Ring I lose a second a sector! 10-15s per lap! Where will I find all those seconds? :lol:
Maybe I need to look for another car, even if I do love driving the RGT there.
Perhaps I need to do a marco (aka The Jay Leno Method) and pull just about everything I can think of out of the garage for testing. :D
Laps on the Nordschleife are time consuming though. Ideas for a comparable shorter track, Deep Forest perhaps?

Which brings me to the realization that we forgot to test the pit stops yesterday. :dopey:
We will need to do that before the race on Wednesday...

:cheers:

Edit: Now there's less bad language up there.

Last edited:
Well, that was all a bit of a shower of **** last night. Maybe it's the weather or something, but that was the worst evening of connection issues that I've ever experienced. Lets hope it improves the next time.

So, what with messing around for an hour with getting everyone together, and then having to run into the wild garden during the qualifier to get the trampoline out of the neighbours garden, and have a rapid debate/greenhouse assessment/apology/partial trampoline disassembly session - I'm quite happy with finally coming second. At the start of the race I'd just run up stairs, I was out of breath and distracted; I was all over the place GT wise, no concentration, leaving the circuit at every other corner, I thought that it was all pretty much over.

And my car was in a hopeless state tyre wise after 4 laps, they only had lost 2 bars in wear, but the car was a proper handful towards the end. Did Toni stop? If not, I'm amazed. He might have stopped on lap 6, but I'm not sure.

So, all in all it was an eventful evening! It says something about our group though that it was still all enjoyable, I had a good time. And ToniCX is a good addition to the group, good guy, good driver - the sort we like :). Shame we didn't have elen, but a) it would just have been one more person to get connected, and b) if he's actually gone to the actual Nordschliefe, I don't think he'll mind missing it!

Cheers fellas.

What a frustrating beginning we've had last night... One hour and a half gone with disconnections, restarts, new lobbies, host change and so on. You start cursing at everything related to Sony, PD and Japan. But then the race finally starts and you end up at Kesselchen section, game clock at 21.30, and you regret blaming the day you've bought GT6. Night falling, red tail lights in the distance of the couple of drivers in front, on your sides the barriers are illuminated by the lights of the car closely following you, white and orange clouds in the sky, the sun sinking under the mountains behind giving the track a fantastic faint light. A few minutes later in the lap, you can barely see the corner at Schwalbenschwanz, you've got to slow down more than usual on the entry because the last visible bit of the sun is right in your face. 2 corners and 10 seconds further, it's pitch black at Galgenkopf. That's why I love this game, I think the atmosphere is a big part of the involvement a videogame provides, and the atmosphere in GT6 (especially at the Ring) is simply unbeatable.

This makes me think; is it possible that connection issues are increased by some tracks? I'm an incompetent in these things, but if you think about it during a race like the one we've had last night, we've got:
-several cars with great detailing both aesthetic and in terms of handling and behavior.
-a huge, complicated track with perfectly realized surroundings, as well as all the hundreds of bumps and slopes of the track itself
-again, a huge and complicated weather and time system which affects perfectly and constantly the track, the curbs, the trees, the buildings, the cars etc etc.
-a...thing that records the replay of the whole race, complete with all the data details like sector times, etc.
-some other things we don't notice
I mean, there'a massive amount of stuff to held for a single connection, I think. Ok, all of it was in GT5 too, but not so detailed. There's also this recent article:
https://www.gtplanet.net/digital-foundry-finds-gran-turismo-6-pushes-ps3-to-the-limit/
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the only race without huge connection issues we've had, if I'm not wrong, was the one in Tsukuba. Which is a short, simple and "standard" track, upscaled from GT4 and without time change. An hour later, same host and same players, at Brands Hatch; brand new, very detailed track with time and weather change. The result was people being disconnected since qualifying.

About the race not a lot to say, I've enjoyed it. I've had trouble finding a good car until the qualifying began, but the RX7 was a good choice, not the fastest but gradual on the limit and gentle with tires. I've had a good start, and after a couple of laps with Least slowly but constantly gaining tenth after tenth and Vuja very close to me, I was comfortably in 3rd place. Then Least had some offs and did his pit-stop. At this point I was 2nd with a big margin. I knew that he was faster than me, so the only way to stay in front of him was to avoid pit-stops. After 3 laps of decent pace, I've made a couple of mistakes with tires by now at 6, losing probably more than 20 seconds. Least overtook me on the last lap, he was just too fast for me, especially with really worn tires. Toni, well...last time I've saw him was at first corner after the start. Congratulations to him and to everyone, especially for the patience at the beginning.

So, what with messing around for an hour with getting everyone together, and then having to run into the wild garden during the qualifier to get the trampoline out of the neighbours garden, and have a rapid debate/greenhouse assessment/apology/partial trampoline disassembly session - I'm quite happy with finally coming second. At the start of the race I'd just run up stairs, I was out of breath and distracted; I was all over the place GT wise, no concentration, leaving the circuit at every other corner, I thought that it was all pretty much over.

And my car was in a hopeless state tyre wise after 4 laps, they only had lost 2 bars in wear, but the car was a proper handful towards the end. Did Toni stop? If not, I'm amazed. He might have stopped on lap 6, but I'm not sure.
Yes, Toni made a pit-stop, probably on lap 6.
I hope it's all ok with weather and damages. I couldn't help but laughing after your message about the neighbours garden during qualifying. I can't remember what you've written but it was funny to see some humour and the smiley emoticon after telling the damages the wind was doing. Great spirit in difficult moments:tup:
Shame we didn't have elen, but a) it would just have been one more person to get connected, and b) if he's actually gone to the actual Nordschliefe, I don't think he'll mind missing it!

I really hope he's enjoying his trip, but...
http://20832.com/?rubrik=wetter&lang=eng

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back