COCKPIT and DASHBOARD VIEWS in GT5!

I would like the cockpits to be designed just as they are in Live for Speed with the player's Arms and hands clutching onto the wheel....and they move in junction with your D-Pad or stick movements!.....this makes driving in Live for Speed so much more realistic with a gamepad. If you have a steering wheel this should be fun too!

Can you imagine the law suits when people break their noses sitting too close to the wheel, or even worse someone get's their neck broken because they're sat too high, however that post was made a year and a half ago and wasn't serious. Something members get asked not to do here is to revive old threads for no reason.

This is how I think the cockpit should look like, with the use of some textures of the car's dash of course.

It needs to be centered on the driver's wheel. I don't know of anyone who sits on the center console to drive (:

You guys notice that on the shots of GT HD of the Ferrari cockpits, the camera is a wide angle camera, to simulate how you can see the A-pillar on the passenger side? Let see if i can dig up a screen.

You guys notice that on the shots of GT HD of the Ferrari cockpits, the camera is a wide angle camera, to simulate how you can see the A-pillar on the passenger side? Let see if i can dig up a screen.

^ Here ya go:

normal_p45a.jpg

I just hope that if Polyphony does something dumb like take away roof cam that driver cam doesn't look letterboxed, where I see as much of the dash as I do the road. I want a realistic panoramic view of the road or I won't use it. Toca 3's was pretty good, though as MustangSVT points out, the rest of the game was poop, at least on XBox.

Oh, and LoudMusic, that mirror is way too low and large. Is that PGR3? Why would they obstruct your view that badly?

^ Here ya go:

normal_p45a.jpg

One thing I do notice about it is that sterring wheel is all carbon fiber, but on the 599 GTB the car has shift lights on the steering. The "cocked to side" perspective I suspect is only to show the level of detail PD has on the interior, and this is a hint to less restrictive replay mode...

That's a mighty fine picture of that Ferrari, eh boy? Pardon my Texan. ^_^ It will be really interesting to see what kind of magic PD can work with in-car views. I sort of wondered in the past if PD could have followed the lead of "ToCA Race Driver 2." The game sort of milks the in-car view.

When GTPlanet sounds off, PD may actually be listening to you. Reading your comments. One person talked about that PD needs to follow the lead of games like PGR3 and the upcoming Forza Motorsport 2. They listened pretty well to do something like this. PD came prepared. They know they will have to make GTHD and GT5 shine on a new console. Otherwise, the same complaints of "GTx.5" come about. I'm one of the few people who think that PD did pretty well with the GT series with the resources available. Granted the PS1 and the PS2 weren't supercomputers, they still managed to put in as much content as possible to keep their fans playing GT games. This in-car view provides some perspective on what future in-car views will look like. How many of you will agree with me that the Roof Cam view in GT4 was a good camera view to use? I found the Roof Cam to be a good camera view to use in rally racing. I thought the roof cam was great for rally racing since it can be a bit crowded in Chase Cam in rallying. I've played only one game where there are two in-car views. It was a PS1 game called "Mobil 1 Rally Championship." This was a game in which you competed in the British rallying scene. It wasn't as pretty or exciting of a game as the Colin McRae series at the time, but it was a very decent rallying title. One in-car view basically shown you both sides of the car like in most WRC camera views. I'm talking about a view similar to this one: { http://www.granturismo-hd.com/screenshots/viewshot/p12a.jpg }. The other view is your average in-car view where you see the steering wheel and you gripping on it. Some essentials to in-car views (or to any camera angle in general) include looking to your left and right. The game "ToCA Race Driver 3" had views on the sides and such. You had to press the proper buttons or tilt one of the sticks in the desired direction. Forza Motorsport's side views were different. You went immediately to that one side when viewing the car. But I'd still like to see where PD would go with this idea.

In addition to variety in in-car views, it would be interesting to see how race cars and race-modified cars (granted Racing Modification returns) look. I'd want to be able to see the light-up tachometer like on the Audi R8 prototype or maybe a Formula One car. Maybe I want to go GTR and notice a MoTeC ADL system on the dash. It would also be interesting to see a variety of racing gear (now, the following is optional) that I'm wearing like in Tourist Trophy. Should be able to see my Sparco gloves and such while gripping the wheel. PD can become VERY creative and allow you to basically re-create yourself to be able to drive. Certain amounts of damage (the rest isn't optional) may be a bit more advanced in controlling the car. I've heard of Marcus Gronholm or someone losing power steering in one rally, so (the driver in question) had to use both hands to get the wheel and car to turn properly and quickly. PD may follow Enthusia and have the beeping noises in some Mazdas letting you know when to upshift.

PD can be creative and realistic. But each in-car view will need to be accurate and realistic to provide the most spectacular effects possible when driving. This ranges from the Daimler Motor Carriage all the way up to the Audi R8 (or even the Audi R10 if it makes it into GTHD and/or GT5). Certainly worth staying tuned for in the coming months.

@BM01

I really like the idea you mentioned of having modfied cars with modified interiors. Like more controllers gaudges that actually work and even momo steering wheels. Things like that would be unique and amazing all at once.

One thing I do notice about it is that sterring wheel is all carbon fiber, but on the 599 GTB the car has shift lights on the steering. The "cocked to side" perspective I suspect is only to show the level of detail PD has on the interior, and this is a hint to less restrictive replay mode...

I'm quite positive they are there. The area around its location is too dark to see it, and the excuse of no lights may be to not being either programmed yet, or the vehicle's stationary causing no shift lights.

[/SIZE]That's an awesome view of the Eiger through the cockpit view of the Ferrari! BUT . . . but . . . I gotta be the fly in the ointment about these arguments for a cockpit view . . . Personally I don't like them. The feeling, the overall view is much too confining, like being in an M1 Tank instead of a car. When I'm racing, wether it's GT4 or ToCA 3, I want to concentrate on the race and as good as these games are--or will be in regards to GT HD and GT5 respectively--they can't simulate everything. Well, what the hell is Thundercat ranting about . . . I'll explain.
My gameroom television is 27 inches, while the windshield of my realcar, a Nissan Altima, is more than twice that size. Through my peripheral vision I can see out of the left side door window and a little out of the right side door window. A minute shifting of my vision and I can get a better view out of those left and right door windows without turning my head. When I'm playing GT4, sitting about 3 feet from the television, my peripheral vision picks up my stereo, my front speakers, a few books, the door to the gameroom, etc. . . When I'm in my real car I can see a lot more of the road, alot more of the outside environment than I can when I'm playing GT4. When you include a cockpit the already limited view is limited further, more of what you should see is taken away outright.
In game, when I want to look left or right to see who's racing beside me I have to push a button on my DFP and have the view on the television screen jar to the left or right. This is what I mean by not being able to simulate everything--in reallife the entire landscape out of your front window doesn't shift over like that--if it does, you've been drinking and should probably pull over before you kill somebody!
The best way around this would be to get a 54 inch television for my forward view and two 19 inch monitors for my left and right views! I've seen a picture somewhere where someone is playing GT4 with three monitors in the same configuration. With this set-up I wouldn't mind a cockpit view so much!
If cockpit view became an option, I'd just toggle 'traditional game-view', then get rid of the track map and shift indicator and be on my merry way.
Once again, in closing, that view of the Eiger and the interior of the Ferrari is truly inspiring, but during a 2 hour endurance race with 20 other cars on the circuit, not to mention the potential of sustaining damage--I'm not gonna pay attention to beauty and inspiration, I'm gonna try to win

That's all well and good, but even on bumper cam your peripheral vision is limited to directly infront so be it an incar view or a bumper view your still limted to having to press a button to look left or right. As much as I understand your viewpoint I always race incar when that view is available and I am happy at the prospec of it being a view in GT5. It's just so much more immersive imo. Though the shift in view wghen you look to the side should flow better, it should be a more smooth motion thana sudden snap round.

Do you mind me asking why you've typed all that in such a large font?

That's all well and good, but even on bumper cam your peripheral vision is limited to directly infront so be it an incar view or a bumper view your still limted to having to press a button to look left or right. As much as I understand your viewpoint I always race incar when that view is available and I am happy at the prospec of it being a view in GT5. It's just so much more immersive imo. Though the shift in view wghen you look to the side should flow better, it should be a more smooth motion thana sudden snap round.

Do you mind me asking why you've typed all that in such a large font?

Answering you last question first. I work with a bunch of jokesters!

Your first question . . . that's exactly what I'm talking about brother! Even on bumper cam your view is limited; why folks would want to limit their view further is . . . well . . . I don't understand. Be that as it may, we all have our own personal tastes. But I do agree that the flow when looking left or right could be a lot smoother.

For me it's not about getting a better view, the best view possible is the behind the car view, you see everythin from there, but it's about immersion and enjkoying the experience, an in car view improves both of thoes things for me. Ofcourse not everyone feels the same way.

I couldn't agree more, Thundercat; to me the tv IS the windscreen and the cockpit, well, it sort of has to be my DFP and the gameframe where it's set... (plus, 2 wheels would look odd, imo...)
The pic of the Ferrari's cockpit looks great and I surelly won't be complaining if they include the option of inside view - and will try it - but I think I'll stick with the traditional view too.
And L4S, it's true that you get a better overall view behind the car but you won't be able to control it as well, especially if you use a wheel...

RUI
I couldn't agree more, Thundercat; to me the tv IS the windscreen and the cockpit, well, it sort of has to be my DFP and the gameframe where it's set... (plus, 2 wheels would look odd, imo...)
The pic of the Ferrari's cockpit looks great and I surelly won't be complaining if they include the option of inside view - and will try it - but I think I'll stick with the traditional view too.
And L4S, it's true that you get a better overall view behind the car but you won't be able to control it as well, especially if you use a wheel...

I agree with it all, except the last sentence (and I use a wheel). I find the in-cockpit view distracting (when I'm driving I'm not looking to the dashboard), the bumper view the most immersive and the behind-car view the best to understand what the car is doing, where the car is going, etc.

I remember to read somewhere that Colin McRae once played publicly the game with his name using behind the car view, and when asked about it said that it was the only way to have the peripheral vision he has IRL.

When I have a choice of drivercam view and behind the car view, I usually take behind the car because like others have said, most cockpit views are atrocious. Like very bad, worse than letterboxed. If I can't get a good view of the road like I could in real life, I won't use it. There's not much point, you know. But behind the car is the least connected to the car.

When I saw roof cam in GT4 I was in heaven. And there, it was uncanny.

The roof cam in GT4 was on most car attorcious imo, I like the cockpit views in the GTR games, they're spot on, you can adjust the seat position so if you can't see enough of the road you can raise it until you can see enough and you can move the seat closer or further away from the windscreen. You can do that in most PC sims but GTR's is imo the best. My order of preference for driving views is incar at 1, bonnet cam 2, bumper cam at 3 and any other views like behind the car or a roof cam ect at 4. There's no reason for PD to drop the roof cam, they should have it as a view I won't use it but plenty of people like it and do use it. Im just happy it's looking like we'll get an in car camera this time as well. Like I said, for me it's not about what's offering me the best view or the easiest time, it's about what's drawing me into the game most, the incar views do that more than any other view.

i like the idea of the in-car views on gt5, but i hated the roof cam on gt4 because i couldn't see the rpm guage properly (this really annoyed me when using manual transmittion in a red car:mad:)

anyway, the in-car view on gt5 sounds good:)

yea, i'm very enthusiastic about cockpit view aswell.

i always wanted one in gt4 but...well ya, after all sucahyo discovered cockpit view with ar max with isnt that bad...

but i'm really looking forward to gt5!!

My view has changed a bit regarding this subject from last year. Since then I have played alot more racing games, and I've nearly always opted for the interior dashboard view. I think this is important to the GT series now, and it would seem from early photos, that PD have done themselves proud.

The Ferrari interior looks stunning, and you can even see the carbon fibre effect. What I really want to see is a video of the game being played from the dashboard view, at night..............with working wipers. Great work PD, now lets see some more interiors from other marques.

On a sidenote, it's nice to know that I was right all along, by saying dashboards would only appear in next GT game if they were 100% visually accurate...........stick that in your pipe and smoke it maxter.

Maybe you can use the sensors in the controller to look left or right?
Would be a nice addition...

Back