• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 16 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
On a stormy night in Houston, Texas at NRG Stadium on January 8, 2024; the University of Michigan saw themselves atop the NCAA FBS mountain over the University of Washington. Those going from High School to college are ready to make their presence felt. Transfer protocol rattles the brains of many a college and a university in America. Also at times, college students might make a dollar or two through NIL (name-image-likeness). No matter what you think about the modern landscape of college football, college football remains all kinds of awesome. So once again on GTPlanet, I welcome you to a new season of college football. Who will be the best teams? The best players? The finest coaches? All questions will be answered once college football operates in full anger.

Here is a look back the 2023 champions, who are the defending champions of their categories:

--- College Football: 2023 Season Champions ---
NCAA FBS: Michigan
NCAA FCS: South Dakota State
NCAA D2: Harding
NCAA D3: SUNY-Cortland
NAIA FCS: Keiser (FL)
NJCAA DI: Iowa Western
NJCAA DIII: DuPage
NCFA: Central Georgia Technical College

Let's talk about the 2024 season here! Anything ranging from recruits, coaching changes, and the like are fair game here. Anything from preseason to the Championship games are fair game here also. So GO!

This kid is young, but I’ve been listening to him for a while now, and he has some pretty good takes.

and he did a good vid on my beloved Wildcats. It’s good to see some kids doing the right thing for a change

** The NIL system and transfer portal needs a major ***ing overhaul!! *

Last edited:
I always said an 8-team playoff would be perfect for college football on the NCAA FBS level. I think this 12-team model will work quite well. This may prevent some of the whining teams may have about not being good enough to play for a National Championship. If you were to use last season's end of regular season standings, Florida State would have the 5th seed. Georgia would be in the National Championship picture as well from last season's standings.

Of course, the mentioning of extra schools being able to play for a National Championship offers the possibility of upstarts breaking up the big school party. For example, let's say Boise State or Omnis' Florida Atlantic Owls have a season great enough that they crack the 5-12 ranks. They will have as best a chance to play for a National Championship as most of the power schools. Alternatively, let's say some upstarts from the power conferences have a season to where they deserve to be in the realm of 1-12. Like, if Houston finishes the regular season 10th or if schools like Rutgers or Arizona get into the Top 12. They too can spoil the big school party with a few upsets. I like an eight-team playoff to choose the definitive Championship contenders. However, the 12-team format gives more opportunities as well as let some upstarts have a chance to make postseason noise. Almost like letting mid-majors try to take down bigger schools like in the NCAA basketball tournaments.

There is one note I'd like to share about this new 5+7 format. If Notre Dame has an amazing season, the highest seed they can get is 5th, since Notre Dame is an Independent. So with this new format, Notre Dame would not get a first-round bye should they be anywhere between a 5-seed and a 12-seed. The Fighting Irish will have to do a little work to extend their championship run should they get there.

This weekend will mark a lot of Spring games to be aired on TV. This will be a chance to get your Spring football fix unless you don't care about the UFL. Check your local listings to see what Spring Games will be aired on TV this weekend.

THIS JUST IN...

The defending National Champion University of Michigan has been hit by the NCAA with three years probation for recruiting violations. These violations occurred during the COVID-19/Coronavirus dead period under former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh. Exact penalties have not yet been determined as of right now. All we know is that the NCAA dropped the hammer on U. of Michigan football today.

Stay tuned for more on this developing story.

Anyone here playing CFB 25? Haven’t played a sports game in decades, but I can’t wait for it to finish loading up so I can play as my nephew 😎

I was going to make mention to the release of EA Sports "College Football 25." Thanks for covering for me, though. I went out with my family earlier today, so I wasn't here to discuss that.

It’s amazing how far games like this have come since I last dabbled in this genre. To anyone that plays this and is not familiar with the mechanics (which describes me to a T), I recommend playing in the practice sessions and mini games.

Cool footnote. When electing to “practice”, I was running plays in Arizona’s actual indoor practice field, as opposed to generic setting, or their home field. Way cool.

Currently I’m going down the YouTube rabbit hole on how to play dynasty mode 👍🏼

Last edited:
Anyone here playing CFB 25? Haven’t played a sports game in decades, but I can’t wait for it to finish loading up so I can play as my nephew 😎
Thats cool! Are you able/willing to say who he is? I'm just hella curious.

I'm currently so desperate for football I'm watching that Netflix show, Receiver. It's alright. College season starts in like 3 or 4 weeks???

Jerome

Thats cool! Are you able/willing to say who he is? I'm just hella curious.

I'm currently so desperate for football I'm watching that Netflix show, Receiver. It's alright. College season starts in like 3 or 4 weeks???

Jerome
Rather not, just to protect the innocent. But I will say that he’s rarely sitting on the bench. He’s pretty much everything I wish I could have been!!

Here’s a GIF my wife made of me last season after we scored a touchdown. I tend to get really excited 😂

IMB_2lHPO9.gif

The following is the University of Houston's football schedule for 2024:

• AUG 31: UNLV
  • SEP 7: at Oklahoma
  • SEP 14: Rice
  • SEP 21: at Cincinnati
  • SEP 28: Iowa State
  • OCT 4: at TCU
  • OCT 19: at Kansas
  • OCT 26: Utah
  • NOV 2: Kansas State
  • NOV 15: at Arizona
  • NOV 23: Baylor
  • NOV 30: at BYU

New head coach Willie Fritz will try to turn around the University of Houston football team after Dana H.'s coaching. I hope UH makes a Bowl Game this season. The longest of long shots would be Houston being the top representative of the Big XII and making the College Football Playoff. We'll see how things go, though.

Can you believe "Week 0" of college football is next weekend? No- not this coming weekend, next. Here is the Preseason AP Poll for this upcoming season. Is/Are your favorite team(s) listed here? Take a look:

01 - Georgia
02 - Ohio State
03 - Oregon
04 - Texas
05 - Alabama
06 - Ole Miss
07 - Notre Dame
08 - Penn State
09 - Michigan
10 - Florida State
11 - Missouri
12 - Utah
13 - Louisiana State
14 - Clemson
15 - Tennessee
16 - Oklahoma
17 - Oklahoma State
18 - Kansas State
19 - Miami (FL)
20 - Texas A&M
21 - Arizona
22 - Kansas
23 - U. of Southern California
24 - North Carolina State
25 - Iowa

We'll have to see how these Top 25 Preseason teams perform throughout the course of this season. Every team still has to beat Michigan to prove they are the best. Michigan is the defending Champs of NCAA FBS football.

I want to show off a few more schedules. I already have shown you the schedule for my University of Houston Cougars. Well now, I want to share a schedule of another pack of cats. I'm talking about the Wildcats of our illustrious leader of GTPlanet, @Jordan 's University of Kentucky Wildcats. Here's their 2024 schedule:

• AUG 31: Southern Mississippi
  • SEP 7: South Carolina
  • SEP 14: (1) Georgia
  • SEP 21: Ohio
  • SEP 28: at (6) Ole Miss
  • OCT 12: Vanderbilt
  • OCT 19: at Florida
  • NOV 2: at (15) Tennessee
  • NOV 16: Murray State
  • NOV 23: at (4) Texas
  • NOV 30: Louisville

The Kentucky Wildcats finished 9-4 overall and 3-5 in the SEC last season, in a 3-way tie for 4th in the SEC East. Kentucky is usually regarded more for their men's basketball than their football. However, Kentucky does know how to play football as well. They play in the tough-as-nails SEC. So the U. of Kentucky knows they can't stub their toes one too many times to have a chance at being among the top teams in the SEC.

You know what? I love cats. So how about one more pack of cats for this post? Let's talk, @Yard_Sale ! Arizona Wildcats in 2024 coming up:

• AUG 31: New Mexico
  • SEP 7: Northern Arizona
  • SEP 13: at (18) Kansas State
  • SEP 28: at (12) Utah
  • OCT 5: Texas Tech
  • OCT 12: at BYU
  • OCT 19: Colorado
  • OCT 26: West Virginia
  • NOV 2: at UCF
  • NOV 15: Houston
  • NOV 23: at TCU
  • NOV 30: Arizona State

The Arizona Wildcats finished 10-3 overall and 1-0 in the [now defunct] Pac-12, good for 3rd in the Pac-12 and ranked No. 11 in the nation. The Arizona Wildcats start off 2024 as the 21st-ranked Preseason team now playing in the Big XII. Just like Kentucky, Arizona is also a basketball power that can also play some pretty good football. I'm most concerned for Arizona when it comes to the games at Kansas State followed by at Utah. I think Texas Tech and Arizona State will be tough home games for Arizona. A few tricky games could be their matches against the Colorado Buffaloes and against my beloved Houston Cougars. I think Arizona will handle the Big XII pretty well. Maybe not College Football Playoff well, but at least a decent Bowl Game.

I may talk about a few more schools prior to the season starting up. For now, though, good to talk about a few teams.

I want to show off a few more schedules. I already have shown you the schedule for my University of Houston Cougars. Well now, I want to share a schedule of another pack of cats. I'm talking about the Wildcats of our illustrious leader of GTPlanet, @Jordan 's University of Kentucky Wildcats. Here's their 2024 schedule:

• AUG 31: Southern Mississippi
  • SEP 7: South Carolina
  • SEP 14: (1) Georgia
  • SEP 21: Ohio
  • SEP 28: at (6) Ole Miss
  • OCT 12: Vanderbilt
  • OCT 19: at Florida
  • NOV 2: at (15) Tennessee
  • NOV 16: Murray State
  • NOV 23: at (4) Texas
  • NOV 30: Louisville

The Kentucky Wildcats finished 9-4 overall and 3-5 in the SEC last season, in a 3-way tie for 4th in the SEC East. Kentucky is usually regarded more for their men's basketball than their football. However, Kentucky does know how to play football as well. They play in the tough-as-nails SEC. So the U. of Kentucky knows they can't stub their toes one too many times to have a chance at being among the top teams in the SEC.

You know what? I love cats. So how about one more pack of cats for this post? Let's talk, @Yard_Sale ! Arizona Wildcats in 2024 coming up:

• AUG 31: New Mexico
  • SEP 7: Northern Arizona
  • SEP 13: at (18) Kansas State
  • SEP 28: at (12) Utah
  • OCT 5: Texas Tech
  • OCT 12: at BYU
  • OCT 19: Colorado
  • OCT 26: West Virginia
  • NOV 2: at UCF
  • NOV 15: Houston
  • NOV 23: at TCU
  • NOV 30: Arizona State

The Arizona Wildcats finished 10-3 overall and 1-0 in the [now defunct] Pac-12, good for 3rd in the Pac-12 and ranked No. 11 in the nation. The Arizona Wildcats start off 2024 as the 21st-ranked Preseason team now playing in the Big XII. Just like Kentucky, Arizona is also a basketball power that can also play some pretty good football. I'm most concerned for Arizona when it comes to the games at Kansas State followed by at Utah. I think Texas Tech and Arizona State will be tough home games for Arizona. A few tricky games could be their matches against the Colorado Buffaloes and against my beloved Houston Cougars. I think Arizona will handle the Big XII pretty well. Maybe not College Football Playoff well, but at least a decent Bowl Game.

I may talk about a few more schools prior to the season starting up. For now, though, good to talk about a few teams.

We're going to know a lot about Arizona by the end of September. The biggest piece e we lost after last season was one of our shut-down corners (Ephesians Prysock) who opted to follow Judd Fisch to rainy and smelly Seattle. And yes, that's the same coach that lectured the players at the end of the season; "don't pursue the NIL money, what we have here is SPECIAL".

🙄

****ing loser...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. We lost Ephsysians (spelling), Jonah Coleman, a couple good recruits to the Huskies. We lost 4 players to the NFL, and two Defensive lineman to Texas. However, we were able to make up a lot of our losses in the portal as wells as development of current talent. There won't be a drop-off in our running back room. Four of our Five offensive lineman from last year are returning. Despite Tanner Mclaughlin going to the NFL, our TE room is VEEEERY deep. Noah and T-Mac are arguably the best QB/WR duo in the country (and have been since the 8th grade). Besides Jacob Cowing going to the 49ers, we return all of our WR's - even adding Reymello Murphy in the portal...who also played with Noah, TMac, Jacob (Manu), and "Ise" Shancco since Pop Warner ball!!

Oh yeah.... we have probably a top# 5-7 DB room in the country as well 😎

Like most teams that aren't in the SEC, our achilles heel will be depth. Particularly on the O-line and D-line. The starters on both sides are good - really good. But there is a noticeable drop-off of talent between the starters and second string - particularly on the offensive line.

We'll be running less of a spread offense (as compared to last year), and running more of a motion-double-TE-set, which is indicative of what the did at San Jose state last year (which is where our new head coach Brent Brennan comes from). IMHO, it will work to our advantage as we have very athletic Tight Ends - namely Keyan Burnett, whom also came from Servite High School alongside Noah, TMac, Jacob, and Ise.

Defensively we'll be much more aggressive than last year. All of our safety's can lay the hat....so we'll be running A LOT of 5 DB sets out of a base 4-2-5, with at least one safety in the box at all times

Schedule-wise, I'm hoping for 10-2, but I'll settle for 9-3.

our biggest hurdles will be in the beginning of the season when we play KState and Utah back to back....on the road. Yeah, there' a bye-week in-between....but still...it's on the road. I'm hoping we at least split those games. UCF later in the season (away) will also be tough.

Back