Congress 2010 Thread

• Thread starter Omnis
  • 303 comments
Rand Paul won. Yes!
Marco Rubio won. Eh...
Wasserman Schultz won. ARGH!
Scott and Sink are close, but Scott is winning. Damn it.

I should've voted for CC Reed, lmao. My mom and I organized our governors votes to cancel eachothers out. Of course, the best thing would have been to just not have voted.

As a matter of fact, Rand's lead has been increasing as I've watched. I think I know what state I'm moving to. Congratulations to Foolkiller for living in a state not dominated by idiots!

Here in Ohio all the libertarian/constitution candidates I voted for are averaging 2% of the vote. Ugh. Make that 3%! Making progress!

The Ohio races for Governor and Attorney General are deadlocked, each with well over 1,000,000 votes counted, but only 3,000 separating the Attorney General race, and only 1,000 separating the Governor race! Both are leaning toward Republican, but all other major offices are leaning R much more drastically.

EDIT: I'd like to report a little on Michigan, just because Michigan is the greatest state in the Union. The Detroit area has elected all Democrats to represent in in the House. That's great. Somebody call the bulldozers.

Last edited:
What's Up in Michigan?

As I expected, (R) Justin Amash took the Michigan 3rd without much of a problem. I'm furious about it, but that's part of living in oddly conservative West Michigan. The Republicans made the right choice of having Ehlers step down this year as opposed to 2008 or 2012, when it would be far more likely to have the seat go Democrat. I see (R) Tim Walberg is winning in the Michigan 7th, which frustrates me as well. They kicked the guy out because he did a bad job, and now they're putting him back in.

There is a reason why I don't live in Southern Michigan. They're weird.

Otherwise, I'm not totally surprised by anything statewide. Proposition A (calling a new State Constitutional Convention) failed by a long shot, and the rather narrow-minded Proposition-B (banning persons with a Felony to serve publicly) succeeds by a long-shot.

General Thoughts

I'm not happy with most of the results, but things could have been far, far worse. This will serve to scare the crap out of the Democrats, and we'll be better for it. Ultimately, I end up looking forward to the next two years just so I can watch, and judge them in my smug liberalness that comes with being a young man.

I'm still pulling for Prop 19 in California. C'Mon!

and the rather narrow-minded Proposition-B (banning persons with a Felony to serve publicly) succeeds by a long-shot.
Not to be mean (I genuinely don't know), but isn't that like, half the people currently in Michigan public office? You and Joey seem to talk an awful lot about them constantly getting arrested and indicted and whatever.

Not to be mean (I genuinely don't know), but isn't that like, half the people currently in Michigan public office? You and Joey seem to talk an awful lot about them constantly getting arrested and indicted and whatever.
Detroit's city council has more crooks than a Cincinnati sports team.

Allen West beat Ron Klein in Ft. Lauderdale. Yay! West should be a good congressman-- just hope he's not okay with war in Iran.

So, Rand Paul wins the primary by 14 points = Rand Slide
Rand Paul wins the general election by 12 points = Tightly Contested Race

WTF Media? Seriously, there was local analysis as to how Rand Paul won, and none of the credit was given to his message resonating with voters, but to Conway's mistakes. But I am hoping that this is a sign to Kentucky Democrats. The voters in this state do not appreciate negative campaigning that relies on us to be utterly stupid to believe it. Having video "evidence" in your TV ads that cuts off your opponent's statement mid-sentence makes it obvious you aren't showing us the whole picture.

I will give Jack Conway credit. During his concession speech some people booed when he mentioned Rand Paul and he cut them off and told them that despite what they like Rand Paul is "our senator" and that they need to support him going forward.

I am still awaiting to see if they will recount my district's House seat. Ben Chandler and Andy Bar are separated by only 600 votes, less than 1%. But either way I won't be too miffed. Chandler is a blue dog that I agree with half the time. He voted against health care. Barr is acting and talking like a fiscal conservative, but he has worked with our former Republican governor, Fletcher, and was one of the people during a scandal that the governor pardoned from the investigation. I agreed with candidate Barr, but didn't fully trust Fletcher staffer Barr. So, whichever way it goes I will likely not be 100% happy or mad at the result.

FL Governor is still undecided. I'm worried about both of these candidates. Hope my uncle's police pension doesn't get messed up.

Just Detroit. It's only due to the fact that they are so hood they have to have ghetto fabulous gangsters running the place. Everywhere else it's just normal, everyday sleazy politicians running the show.

===

I'm not real happy with the election results. With the Republicans taking more control I can't help but think any action that tries to better the country will be bogged down in partisan BS. I really wish those who we elect would stop making it an ideological pissing contest and actually do something for this country to make it the great nation it should be.

And no, I'm no Democrat or liberal. I'm just a disappointed American who wants to see his country cease to suck.

I'm just a disappointed American who wants to see his country cease to suck.
Right, just like everybody. Take a stance and run with it. Be consistent in whatever you believe in, just believe in something.

Right, just like everybody. Take a stance and run with it. Be consistent in whatever you believe in, just believe in something.

What if you believe all politicians are corrupt schmucks? I don't care what party they are, it seems like (to me anyway) that politicians are only out for their own personal gain and don't really care about the country. I truly feel like unless our government focuses on real problems and comes up with solutions not bases in the realm of fantasy we are going to continue to spiral down. Seriously, I may think America has a ton of shortcomings but it's still a good country overall and I don't want to see if fail over a bunch of ideological nonsense.

With the Republicans taking more control I can't help but think any action that tries to better the country will be bogged down in partisan BS.

Political gridlock is what we need to get better. The less they do in washington, the better it is for humanity.

Everything will be okay if leaders just get the government out of the way and let everything liquidate back to normal.

Political gridlock is what we need to get better. The less they do in washington, the better it is for humanity.

Everything will be okay if leaders just get the government out of the way and let everything liquidate back to normal.

I disagree. To me political gridlock means nothing will get any resolve and the red tape will just keep getting thicker. I don't believe problems will sort themselves out, only continue to get worse or stay the same.

What if you believe all politicians are corrupt schmucks? I don't care what party they are, it seems like (to me anyway) that politicians are only out for their own personal gain and don't really care about the country. I truly feel like unless our government focuses on real problems and comes up with solutions not bases in the realm of fantasy we are going to continue to spiral down. Seriously, I may think America has a ton of shortcomings but it's still a good country overall and I don't want to see if fail over a bunch of ideological nonsense.
It sounds like you should take a stance on congressional term limits. Maybe even a repeal of the 17th Amendment.

It sounds like you should take a stance on congressional term limits. Maybe even a repeal of the 17th Amendment.

I fully support term limits on any office. People get set in their ways and things stop getting done. There comes a time when you need a fresh set of eyes to look at problems that have arose and maybe a good idea will fall out of someone's head.

I also support limiting the power of lobby/special interest groups. I think they do more harm then good by pumping dollars in candidates that fully support their views whether they are right or wrong.

Will either of those things happen? Probably not.

I disagree. To me political gridlock means nothing will get any resolve and the red tape will just keep getting thicker. I don't believe problems will sort themselves out, only continue to get worse or stay the same.

Without the government, things will be forced to sort themselves out. You wouldn't be able to do business otherwise. People are waiting around now because they're not sure what DC is going to do next. Bad assets are being propped up by Uncle Sam. That or the banks are trying to get DC to socialize them across the population.

Without the government, things will be forced to sort themselves out. You wouldn't be able to do business otherwise. People are waiting around now because they're not sure what DC is going to do next. Bad assets are being propped up by Uncle Sam. That or the banks are trying to get DC to socialize them across the population.

See the way I see it is without the government, things would just fail and you'd have a huge disaster on your hands. What should happen and what probably would happen are two different things in my view. Say Business X fails, you then have a ton of people out of work that creates a ripple effect on the entire economy. We've seen it here in Michigan already and the auto industry didn't even fully fail.

Senators used to be elected by State legislatures, not by popular vote. That was so we had the House of Representatives, appopriately named to represent the people, and the Senate which represented the States governments. That sounds reasonable to me. You're like a fountain of knowledge FK, you should write a textbook or something. A textbook...that matters.

I've always been vaguely surprised that there weren't term limits for senators.
Well, they were originally supposed to be representative of the sovereign state governments, so it wasn't deemed necessary. If the state's goals changed either the senator changed or he didn't get re-elected.

And under that system the Senate and the House represented different things, thus did not always have the same goals, so there wasn't seen a risk of a certain mindset being all encompassing. But the 17th Amendment basically turned the Senate into another form of the House, and that created a majority rule kind of situation.

Now term limits make sense.

Now term limits make sense.
But it seems like it's advanced the democracy aspect of Congress to a point where it's just frustrating. Is the 17th Amendment one cause of States steadily losing their sovereignty to the Feds?

But it seems like it's advanced the democracy aspect of Congress to a point where it's just frustrating. Is the 17th Amendment one cause of States steadily losing their sovereignty to the Feds?
It is a direct link to it. Now senators play party politics for the national party, not their home state. The national party has a large interest in doing away with state sovereignty so they can have more power from a national level.

Just Detroit. It's only due to the fact that they are so hood they have to have ghetto fabulous gangsters running the place. Everywhere else it's just normal, everyday sleazy politicians running the show.

Pretty much. The problem in West Michigan has more to do with where your money comes from, and how you're using it in a campaign than anything else. DeVos tried to buy his way into the Governor's office back in 2006, and it backfired completely.

I'm not real happy with the election results. With the Republicans taking more control I can't help but think any action that tries to better the country will be bogged down in partisan BS. I really wish those who we elect would stop making it an ideological pissing contest and actually do something for this country to make it the great nation it should be.

What is odd to me is that Michigan is generally a fairly progressive state, but has been traditionally Republican since it's inception. These are not the Republican values that people in this state vote for, perhaps with the exception of Rick Snyder. I'm fully anticipating some major conflicts between the Governor's Office and the Legislature. These are two different cats trying to dance the same jive, and it won't work.

Jumping up to the national level, well, I'm not quite as worried. The Tea Party and the more extreme Republican candidates that won cleared a path that will place accountability for current issues in their hands. Furthermore, aside from some major losses like Russ Feingold and Alan Grayson, most of these big Republican wins took down Blue Dog Democrats that ultimately end up doing more damage to the Democratic party than good. If the Democrats are smart, they work with the Republicans to get some things done (ala Clinton in 1994), but stand up, and say what needs to be said in order to get their way. Things aren't going to be rosy in two years, and my guess is that the extremism of the Tea Party will alienate a lot of voters come 2012.

I think what disappoints me most is the complete collapse of the youth vote category (those 18-30) who just did not show up yesterday. The core of the voters were older, more-white, more male, and ultimately ended up voting more conservatively. The Democrats have a lot of work cut out for them if they want to regain the majority come 2012, and step one has to be standing up to the Republicans and fighting for what they believe to be the right thing to do. They have to focus on what they have done, and what they plan to do.

I look forward to 2012, that's for sure.

Considering that the independent vote, at least in Kentucky, virtually flipped sides by nearly the same numbers they were leaning Democrat two years ago is it possible that the change they wanted wasn't the change Democrats gave them?

Is it possible they were primarily looking for less military spending, more fiscal responsibility, removal of things like the Patriot Act, and a generally more responsible government? Instead they got social change in the health care, which seems to be a split issue, but then more military spending, more deficit spending for bailouts, renewal of the Patriot Act, and what look to be the worst parts of government in general. Basically, were non-party people looking for a change in the problems that aren't confined to a single party and wound up getting more, so were sending the same message again?

I wonder if we are likely to see power balances bouncing back and forth frequently like this until we have an overall change to how things have worked for decades now.

Or it really could be a case of the loss of young voters that only ever turn out in larger numbers for presidential elections. But then you have to ask, are we having leaders being ultimately chosen by those who think the president is such a powerful role that no other positions matter?

But then you have to ask, are we having leaders being ultimately chosen by those who think the president is such a powerful role that no other positions matter?
Yes.

Nobody understands the roles. They might be brushed upon in high school - honestly, I can't even remember - but after that it's all the media "the president" this and "the president" that. Why do you think the presidential election coverage is so lavish and exciting? The guy isn't any more important than a governor or a congressman.

What I've found out is that libertarian voices are entirely too sensible for your average American to understand. People require rampant idiocy, question-dodging, and excuse-making, and without that they're completely dumbfounded. Republican schmublican, I'm not about to trust a 60 year old man who just had an epiphany and rewrote his list of "principles", suddenly deciding his government should do an about-face. I'm trying to support people who live and work and poop rights and liberty and responsible spending, not people who went to college for bad science and just realized it was all wrong four decades later.

One kid in my class is fresh out of high school, wears skinny jeans and beanies and looks like a walking fashion catalogue. I said "Look at this democrat", and then he mentioned something about Murray Rothbard. I was like "..." Things are looking up, but obviously not as much as I'd like.

Last edited:
Rick Scott won by like a few ten thousand votes. Here's his acceptance speech.

This guy makes me want to punch him in the face. The crowd is also so unnecessarily loud. It's like, just clap, gosh!

Man I just hope he doesn't **** **** up. Listen to when he talks about his daughters, "I decided to run for governor because of my daughters. They lost a bit of inheritance, *ALIEN LAUGH CREEPY SMILE* but I'm glad they're still smiling." Ugggggh! Yeah, they lost 73 million of inheritance that he spent on his own campaign.

edit: lmaoooooo Go to 8:40ish in the video. Scott goes, "Today is the end of politics as usual in Tallahassee." The crowd goes into huge applause, "ROAAAAAAAHHH WOOOO YEAHHHHHHH!"
Then Scott continues, "We are going to work toward the common good." And it's awkward silence and only one lady goes, "yay." :lol: LOOOOOOOOL.

edit 2: Oh, crap, why did I post this in the Congress thread? Sorry guys.

Last edited:
...is it possible that the change they wanted wasn't the change Democrats gave them?

There are a lot of statistics being thrown around at the moment, and it is a distinct possibility. The thing that I cannot fathom is that the level of distrust for the Republicans is still at an all-time-high, and yet, Independents voted them in without thinking twice about it. Obviously, Independents for whatever reason have grown impatient with the Democrats and subsequently wanted them out (I'd include general incumbency distrust here as well). Blue-Dog Democrats lost out big time, yet Progressive candidates (with the exception of Feingold and Grayson) held their offices. These are very strange figures, I wish I was still at Aquinas to break this down with my professors.

Basically, were non-party people looking for a change in the problems that aren't confined to a single party and wound up getting more, so were sending the same message again?

The logical reasons you said there, sure, I think there are a lot of people who voted out the Democrats because of that. There are plenty of Independents who have legitimate reasons for doing so, and I can't be upset with them. I am just as frustrated as they are, but, I could never bring myself to vote for these kinds of Republicans to fix the problems they created during the last administration. Maybe it's just me. Who knows. I'm still wrapping my head around this one.

I wonder if we are likely to see power balances bouncing back and forth frequently like this until we have an overall change to how things have worked for decades now.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. The Legislature will probably turn over every session now, and I doubt it will change much unless the redistricting for 2010 jacks things up, or we finally get serious about changing the way the system works.

Or it really could be a case of the loss of young voters that only ever turn out in larger numbers for presidential elections. But then you have to ask, are we having leaders being ultimately chosen by those who think the president is such a powerful role that no other positions matter?

Considering how low the youth turnout was, I think it played a pretty big role in the way things turned out. As a young person, it is really disappointing that even as I can see that we are, on average, voting more than we used to, it's still not enough to put on the political pressure and gain the attention that we deserve. I had to talk my brother into voting yesterday, he gave me the usual speech that it "didn't matter when the President isn't on the ballot." I lost my damn mind. Too many young people think that way, and I don't know how to change it. Clearly the education system is lacking, and of course, the media isn't helping either.

Things are slightly better. We're not even close to where we need to be

=-=-=-=-=-=

One kid in my class is fresh out of high school, wears skinny jeans and beanies and looks like a walking fashion catalogue. I said "Look at this democrat", and then he mentioned something about Murray Rothbard. I was like "..." Things are looking up, but obviously not as much as I'd like.

You'd be surprised by the number of hipster libertarians around here. The great thing about the internet and people learning about what is going on out there, people are learning about things that they normally wouldn't be taught in school. I've met a lot of great kids, on the right and left, that are young and very excited about politics. I think it's awesome, personally. I can't remember the statistics that were being thrown around back in 2008 and 2009, but there are a lot of young people who are strongly invested in the libertarian movement. Of course, on the flip side, there are a lot more young people who are just as accepting as socialism as well.

Blue-Dog Democrats lost out big time, yet Progressive candidates (with the exception of Feingold and Grayson) held their offices. These are very strange figures...
I don't think it's strange at all, in fact I think it's very easily explained. Because of the Tea Party movement and subsequent rump-riding done by the worthless Republicans, it was seen by the uninformed that Republicans had really, honestly changed for the better. But in fact, they were just trying to get back into office and gain some seats. Not many people out there can tell the different between a good Republican and a bad Republican, a good Democrat or a bad Democrat. They're lazy and they don't research. That's why some Republicans gained seats even though they're worse than the Democrats they replaced.

As far as the kids go, I don't see much of it personally, but then I'm not the most active young person in the world either. A couple of my friends agree with some ideas I bring up but they can't be bothered to voice their opinion or do their own thinking without my provocation. I'm not even sure they voted to be honest. They're too busy doing things 22 year olds should be doing, instead of doing things that actually matter.

Last edited:
THANK YOU, JACK CONWAY! One good thing did come from Conway's campaign.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ree-dems-in-apparent-violation-of-nbc-policy/

(CNN) - Keith Olbermann, MSNBC's primetime firebrand host, has been suspended indefinitely for violating the ethics policies of his employer earlier this year when he donated to three Democrats seeking federal office, MSNBC announced Friday.

"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay," MSNBC President Phil Griffin said in a statement.

First reported by Politico and confirmed by Federal Election Commission filings, the primetime television host gave $2,400 – the maximum individual amount allowed – to each of the campaigns of Kentucky Senate candidate Jack Conway, and Arizona Reps. Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords. (View PDF's of FEC filings for Conway, Grijalva, and Giffords)

And in other awesome news to come from this election:

http://www.examiner.com/finance-exa...on-paul-to-chair-monetary-policy-subcommittee

The Fed's worst nightmare... Ron Paul to chair Monetary Policy Subcommittee

For years, the Federal Reserve had a good friend in their pockets when Congressmen Barney Frank was chairman of the Monetary Policy subcommittee. That is about to change, and taking Barney's place is the one man who would see the Federal Reserve dissolved.

That man is Congressman Ron Paul.

Dr. Paul has been leading the charge to abolish the Fed for a number of years, and has been hampered by Congressman Frank into getting real and truthful information on Fed policies, and in particular, where the TARP money actually went.

In several inquiries, Fed officials have used subterfuge to keep from providing the information on who received TARP monies, how much was actually spent, and what benefits the monies created.

Ron Paul has been instrumental in pushing to abolish the Fed, through both education and attempted legislation.

Merry Christmas Ben Bernanke, your worst nightmare has arrived with power.

Back