Design your own F1 Car(s)

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 17 comments

RACECAR

Keeper of the Undocumented Changes Threads.
Premium
United States
Addison,Texas
GTP_RACECAR
Well, with all this talk about F1 cars and how one car looks stupid while another looks great, How about designing your own? Thats right, you design you own car from the ground up to the current rules package and you can show it off here. Also feel free to post the specs of you car if you wish. I hope to see some great designs.

let me just fire up my $6000 Auto cad and my team of pre trained professionals and I'll get back to ya

Indeed. That’s a bit much. I can sketch some concepts—but showing off a full F1 car that conforms to current rules is a bit of an ask.

I’ll get back to you tomorrow with a sketch that will be terribly out of proportion and will therefore look like it’s illegal, but I can guarantee in my head its dimensions are actually legal. :P

I would fire up ProEngineer Wildfire 4.0 :sly: But Ive got too much bloody essay work! :indiff:

Me want to design F1 car...:indiff:

Robin

Okay, this is a concept I've had in my head since 2005, believe it or not. Very simple, take Ferrari’s front wing, and remove the vertical struts.

The bridge wing would have to be reinforced a bit, but the weight penalty is probably very small with carbon fibre. Whether or not it is worth doing I’m not sure, but I’ve always wanted to know how it compares to the traditional setup.

maybe a better idea for this would be design your own livery rather than actual components/cars.

maybe a better idea for this would be design your own livery rather than actual components/cars.

👍

I can draw F1 cars, but designing a car is really too much for anyone here (let alone, the professionals in F1. Even they have a hard time designing cars :crazy:) But I could do some liveries on rFactor and show it off here. :D

I made a 'skin' design for an F1 car in rFactor, if that counts :P

here it is, i know its very orang-ish

template.jpg

Okay, this is a concept I've had in my head since 2005, believe it or not. Very simple, take Ferrari’s front wing, and remove the vertical struts.

The bridge wing would have to be reinforced a bit, but the weight penalty is probably very small with carbon fibre. Whether or not it is worth doing I’m not sure, but I’ve always wanted to know how it compares to the traditional setup.

Interesting, yet logical idea. You could probably get better control over the air going under the car this way. One problem is that the wing might flex under high aerodynamic loads so it would have to be stiff and therefor possibly heavier and/or thicker than current front wings.

I'm sorry if I wasn't too specific guys. Now that I think about it, It would be enough trouble trying to think up what it would look and then add on other things like the engine, gearbox and every other complicated and expensive component. I meant design them as in Thinking up how it would look, like what would do with the Side Pods or How would you make the nose(like blake's example) or How would you design the wing. You don't have to do the internal components themselves. I'm alright with designing liveries too if you desire. Hope thats better understood.

@Rocket Punch: lol, now you know that would be illegal:lol:

I've always wondered how a delta-wing-like car would perform. When I finish all of my work (ie, after tuesday), I'll will start drawing.

I have designed vauxhall f1 car which is very unlikely but i was 10 years old so.. you know but it looked cool

I've always wondered how a delta-wing-like car would perform. When I finish all of my work (ie, after tuesday), I'll will start drawing.

It's illegal now anyways (very tight restrictions on wing-forms), and a forwards-pointing delta isn't much use, aerodynamically, compared to regular designs - Tyrrell tried it with their 009, albeit it was a very small delta. When the rumors about the Renault and Williams "W-wing" were circulating, I discovered a reverse-delta winged F1 car - the Tyrrell 012.

Boomerang%20Tyrrell%20012_01.jpg

Boomerang%20Tyrrell%20012_05.jpg

Boomerang%20Tyrrell%20012_04.jpg

Back