DiRT Rally Thread

New images from Red Bull

sebastien-loeb-s-pike-s-peak-car-is-new-in-dirt-rally.jpg

the-legendary-pikes-peak-hill-will-test-your-skill.jpg

slip-and-slide-past-in-a-mini-in-rallycross.jpg

* no photo mode
* there's a mix of helicopter shots, stationary planning shots, and on board views when you choose the dynamic camera view during a replay
* I forget, but I don't think there is. I don't usually watch replays
* depending on the stage, there's sunny, rain, and snow
* the career mode is really good IMO
So, essentially they have just done what the previous Dirt games had available to them, a pre-baked cycle of camera views with an extremely limited free camera mode in one view.

I really think that's a shame. Doubtless the game will still be fun, enjoyable (they usually are) but I'm really itching for a good rally game with fine modelling, more detailed backgrounds, dynamic weather and a proper photo mode to cap the experience. I suppose for that, I'll need to wait until Evolution Studios make a rally game.

Last edited:
So, essentially they have just done what the previous Dirt games had available to them, a pre-baked cycle of camera views with an extremely limited free camera mode in one view.

Yeah the replays do suck overall, if I'm going to watch a replay I usually just use chase cam which looks stunning but it would be nice to have full stage TV style cameras.

Evo have made 5 rally games :P
True: once more is what I really should have said, now that the graphics processing level has caught up with the game capabilities.

Maybe CM will patch a photo mode in after a while, I mean at least two studios recently have made a similar extra effort. In the meantime, I'm sure I'll enjoy the driving aspect.

So I read a heap of this thread and still no real answer.

What are the driving physics of this game? (noting I only drive PS2/ PS3 SIM's)
Are we talking Richard Burns Rally tupe skills needed (best Rally game EVER) Hit a small rock and your car is a wreck?

Or GT4/5/6 or Race Driver (codemasters) type physics,

Or are we back at Colin McRae Rally, bouncing-off-trees-is-fastest type physics

So I read a heap of this thread and still no real answer.

What are the driving physics of this game? (noting I only drive PS2/ PS3 SIM's)
Are we talking Richard Burns Rally tupe skills needed (best Rally game EVER) Hit a small rock and your car is a wreck?

Or GT4/5/6 or Race Driver (codemasters) type physics,

Or are we back at Colin McRae Rally, bouncing-off-trees-is-fastest type physics

Its almost there with RBR, tbh.

RBR type difficulty, however there are not multiple damage settings, so what you get is similar to the easier setting from RBR: You can get terminal damage, you can get punctures, but you can also hit a tree and carry on under many circumstances.

DiRT Rally definitely isn't easy, though.

RBR type difficulty, however there are not multiple damage settings, so what you get is similar to the easier setting from RBR: You can get terminal damage, you can get punctures, but you can also hit a tree and carry on under many circumstances.

DiRT Rally definitely isn't easy, though.

I wish Dirt Rally had a similar damage system, hitting stuff with no consequences kills the immersion very quickly.

There are definite consequences for hitting stuff, it's just not quite as brutal as RBR.

Not really, you have to have an absolutely massive crash to actually damage the car mechanically. Every now and then you might get a puncture but not very often. I sometimes self penalise myself by making a rule of restarting the stage if I hit anything that would result in substantial damage in real life. Crashing and then carrying on like nothing happened feels stupid to me.

Minimum Specifications
Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 2.4Ghz
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics: AMD HD5450 or Nvidia GT430 or Intel HD4000 with 1GB of VRAM
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 30GB available space
Sound Card: Direct X compatible soundcard

Recommended Specifications
Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX-8150 or Intel Core i5 4670K
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: AMD R9 290 or Nvidia GTX780
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 30GB available space
Sound Card: Direct X compatible soundcard
Holy balls my PC can run the min specs. Still getting it for PS4 though, need a wheel for it though:(

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/asset...orsa_delayed_to_june_on_ps4_and_xbox_one.html
Best part of that article.

"DiRT Rally's chief game director later told VideoGamer.com that he believed Assetto Corsa would be a"wake-up call" to some of the bigger games in the genre, like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport."
Too bad there's no-one giving DiRT Rally it's deserved wake-up call. An odd source for a comment like that.

If DR had direct competition of the quality of AC, PCars, R3E, iRacing, etc., it would be seen as an utter joke.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/asset...orsa_delayed_to_june_on_ps4_and_xbox_one.html

Too bad there's no-one giving DiRT Rally it's deserved wake-up call. An odd source for a comment like that.

If DR had direct competition of the quality of AC, PCars, R3E, iRacing, etc., it would be seen as an utter joke.

They are probably referring to the physics, rather than the graphics which is what you are probably getting at.

Nothing about DR is a joke, it's the best rally game since RBR and nothing else even comes close to it as an overall package.

They are probably referring to the physics, rather than the graphics which is what you are probably getting at.

Nothing about DR is a joke, it's the best rally game since RBR and nothing else even comes close to it as an overall package.
No, graphics are perfectly fine for me. The physics are highly questionable, and the ffb is woeful.

That it's the best rally game "since RBR" is exactly my point here. There's no proper competition at all.... none. Nothing to point out that Codemasters are thriving on having simply slapped a serious face and game structure on Dirt 3 (which oddly enough has more logical ffb). I'm not a fan of PCars and don't really run it at all, but it's obvious that they put a hell of a lot of work into the physics engine - and I respect that. CM clearly went very skinny or non-existent in this department.

The ffb? I suspect that CM went over the top with representing vertical forces in theirs - purely on the track that is. Isn't it weird that a subtle rise on track will cause an ffb wheel to jolt sharply while running up a huge embankment off track will do not much at all? It leads me to think that ffb is derived from where the vehicle is on track rather than what the actual car is doing. I can't drive on a seemingly straight track without my wheel jumping around completely illogically - the reason why a few people have asked if there's steering assist in the game. It's an absolute mess because they didn't make the game from scratch, which they would have needed to in order to have something with a shot at being on par with the top circuit racing sims.

Great to see this in the PS Store now! I've been in countdown mode for several days now and seeing it in the store means the release date is solid!

It went gold on both platforms according to Hatward in the latest Road Book. Really, really looking forward to playing this. I'm keeping my expectations in check, but still more hyped than ever before - i.e. I went ahead and pre-ordered and payed off the Legend Edition at my local Gamestop.

hypetrain.gif

Back