DiRT Rally Thread

The Impreza didn't feel right without the McRae livery. Glad to see more content, although, personally I'd like to see rally Toyota's added. As well as the Pikes Peak Tacoma.

There will never be any toyota in Dirt Rally, unfortunaly ... (licensing issues)

There will never be any toyota in Dirt Rally, unfortunaly ... (licensing issues)

Was wondering why they weren't simply importing models from their previous games. Despite being a Toyota enthusiast, I can live with the rest of the lineup. That's disappointing. :( From what I've seen, they've got the Celica in SL Evo.

Curious - the final promotional image features the Polo R WRC; I wasn't aware that was in the game.
There are two Polos in game: the current WRC car and the current World Rallycross car. Both with official liveries.

I have a few questions concerning Dirt Rally:

* Does Dirt Rally have a photomode?
* Is there a proper TV Style Replay?
* Is it possible to save replays
* Are there different weather variations possible (non dynamic)?
* Is there a proper careermode?

That's all ;)
* no photo mode
* there's a mix of helicopter shots, stationary planning shots, and on board views when you choose the dynamic camera view during a replay
* I forget, but I don't think there is. I don't usually watch replays
* depending on the stage, there's sunny, rain, and snow
* the career mode is really good IMO

CaTR0H9WAAAv0Qr.jpg:large

I had missed the PS4 content announcement...that's awesome news. I'm glad to see some added cars, and hugely glad to see more entry level stuff - that's mega. One of the biggest missing components. I don't care much about the rallycross stuff (and I wouldn't advise anyone to buy the game solely for that - it's quite...limited, and it's the boring ultra-modern version --- though the PS4 advert may change that).

We still desperately need more stages. The interview post was interesting, particularly that they did the game on a bare-bones budget. That's good news as they've obviously seen there is a market for more sim-aimed rally gaming still. This bodes well for the successor. I hope they'll put serious funds into it, and in turn give us more content.

Really looking forward to the console release of Dirt Rally. I could only just about play it via Steam with my notebook of a laptop, but even on the lowest settings, its amazing to play :D

Dirt Rally is one of those games that is focused from the very start. No experimental additions or trinkets, just the racing :)

Does anyone know if Codies has mentioned about updating the game with more content after its release on consoles?

Does anyone know if Codies has mentioned about updating the game with more content after its release on consoles?
That's THE topic. So far nothing concrete. We have just the announced additions which were made to the game to prepare for console release, which will be free to PC owners.

I suspect Codemasters are waiting for reviews/sales on the consoles before committing to staffing DLC development, since after all DiRT Rally was made on a very tight budget.

I think everyone will agree that the game is a superb basis which just needs more rally stages, and I'm sure there's a good market for DLC, but only Codemasters know whether they want to be doing that or will focus instead on new content which can sell DiRT Rally 2.

There's one thing I'm curious about in this new update: the devs were originally planning on putting the Colin McRae Rally logo on the banner at Colin's Crest in Sweden as a nice little tribute, but they were stopped by licencing issues. Would be really cool if they did that now that they have the licence to use his name again.

208 T16 restricted to full tarmac Pikes only, somewhat sensibly... apparently both Peugeot and Red Bull wanted this to be the case urfff and they have struggled to get it into the game

Group B rallycross is in the ether at Codies; they plan on modelling classic rallycross vehicles that the B cars became instead of simply pulling a lazy DiRT3 and placing the rally specification vehicles on the course. Which I reckon is the correct course to take. Pray for crazy aero

gbrx.jpg

Last edited:
I have barely touched the Hill Climb stuff in this game because of the ridiculous gear change delay when using sequential shifting. Hopefully this car won't have the same issues.

Was wondering why they weren't simply importing models from their previous games. Despite being a Toyota enthusiast, I can live with the rest of the lineup. That's disappointing. :( From what I've seen, they've got the Celica in SL Evo.

SLRE also has the Toyota 222D. Actually, it has one hell of a car list that game, I reckon I'll get both SLRE and DR.

How come Codies can't get Toyota licence? I wouldn't have thought it'd be too hard, since Toyota seems to be in just about every racing game.

SLRE also has the Toyota 222D. Actually, it has one hell of a car list that game, I reckon I'll get both SLRE and DR.

How come Codies can't get Toyota licence? I wouldn't have thought it'd be too hard, since Toyota seems to be in just about every racing game.

Probably because this project had a very small budget. Hopefully console sales will be massive and Codies will be keen to continue down this more sim oriented path and we get loads more content or a much bigger sequel.

Also once you play DR you won't touch SLRE again ;)

Probably because this project had a very small budget. Hopefully console sales will be massive and Codies will be keen to continue down this more sim oriented path and we get loads more content or a much bigger sequel.

Also once you play DR you won't touch SLRE again ;)

Why the small budget? The Dirt series has always done pretty well, it seems odd that a well established franchise, made by a successful developer, would have a budget that would prevent them getting content into the game.

Also, I haven't played either, but going off sim reviews, SLRE is often rated quite well in comparison to DR.

Why the small budget? The Dirt series has always done pretty well, it seems odd that a well established franchise, made by a successful developer, would have a budget that would prevent them getting content into the game.

Also, I haven't played either, but going off sim reviews, SLRE is often rated quite well in comparison to DR.

I'm guessing because sim racing isn't quite mainstream enough to guarantee as much sales as a Dirt 3 sequel would have.

SLRE on it's own is probably not terrible but comparing it to DR there's really no competition. I tried to like the PC demo but when I tried DR again afterwards it made me realise how good DR really is.

I'm guessing because sim racing isn't quite mainstream enough to guarantee as much sales as a Dirt 3 sequel would have.

SLRE on it's own is probably not terrible but comparing it to DR there's really no competition. I tried to like the PC demo but when I tried DR again afterwards it made me realise how good DR really is.

I hated the PS4 demo, but from everything I've read, the demos had a large number of issues that have been fixed in the full release, like the severely lacking ffb in the demo. I'll def be getting both, as DR looks awesome, but it is lacking in content, and reviews of SLRE rate it's physics as anywhere between not far behind DR, to actually better than DR, with most saying it's downfall is the number of performance issues, and lack of triple screen support and multiple input devices.

On console, the lack of triple screens isn't an issue, but lacking multiple input support does mean no keyboard support which isn't great, as I have a digital handbrake wired to my keyboard. So both seem to have upsides and downsides, and much like Assetto Corsa and Project CARS, they seem to be different enough that they can co-exist in my game collection.

Does anyone know if Dirt Rally will have keyboard support on consoles?

The old DiRT games were much more mainstream and accessible. Codemasters also shrunk a lot before DiRT Rally, I think they laid off more than half of their staff between DiRT 3 and Rally.

Is there any murmerings they may do this back to the roots sim approach to Grid aswell? That would be awesome...Grid Autosport was half way there imo.

Back