DiRT Rally Thread

The gaming press are ready to test drive DiRT Rally on consoles...

CZkB-V-WkAA7dEa.jpg:large

Spotted by the sneaky lot on Reddit is the "Tutorials" section on the menu...

CZkB-xwWcAAMUWe.jpg:large

Last edited:
Tutorials will go down a storm as we use word of mouth to bring the love to the console masses. Good move Codemasters :)

How in-depth is the damage system on this? Can small things like cones,bushes etc lead to damage to the car?

I'd say yes. Maybe not visibly, but if you were to hit a bush at 50mph you'd definitely know about it.

I'd say yes. Maybe not visibly, but if you were to hit a bush at 50mph you'd definitely know about it.

Ok thanks...is the damage and repair system more in-depth than previous CM Mcrae games? Ive not played a decent rally game for years so just wondering how realistic it is. I love the fact they got rid of flashbacks.

Ok thanks...is the damage and repair system more in-depth than previous CM Mcrae games? Ive not played a decent rally game for years so just wondering how realistic it is. I love the fact they got rid of flashbacks.
It is very in-depth. You can damage a lot of individual parts of your car. It does affect the performance. I love the 3D broken glass. It's not just a pixellated line. the broken window edge re-bounce light in a constantly changing way. :)

It is very in-depth. You can damage a lot of individual parts of your car. It does affect the performance. I love the 3D broken glass. It's not just a pixellated line. the broken window edge re-bounce light in a constantly changing way. :)

Ah that sounds great! Looking forward to a proper rally game again..

The only endorsement I can give this game...it's the best rally game out right now, bar-none, and likely for the foreseeable future. It ain't Dirt 4, and it's not Sebastian Loeb EVO (the demo was crap). Is it a perfect rally game? Nope. But it's the best we have...and yes it's plenty good enough to give you the rally fix.

It misses that additional 10-15% which would make it a phenomenal game which would suck up all your time, but it's very good.

Now here is the big test...what cost will they go with for DLC? Let's be honest, the car models are last-gen and relatively crap compared to modern racing games. If they start asking for silly money, I'll be less than enthused. I'd also gladly pay more for stages than cars - and not even new stages, ideally I'd like to see them add a pack which adds 1-2 stages to each of the current rallies.

Now here is the big test...what cost will they go with for DLC? Let's be honest, the car models are last-gen and relatively crap compared to modern racing games. If they start asking for silly money, I'll be less than enthused. I'd also gladly pay more for stages than cars - and not even new stages, ideally I'd like to see them add a pack which adds 1-2 stages to each of the current rallies.

I'm hoping for new locations, New Zealand would be nice :) More stages per rally would be nice too but it seems they are satisfied with the length per rally they have so far.

The only endorsement I can give this game...it's the best rally game out right now, bar-none, and likely for the foreseeable future. It ain't Dirt 4, and it's not Sebastian Loeb EVO (the demo was crap). Is it a perfect rally game? Nope. But it's the best we have...and yes it's plenty good enough to give you the rally fix.

It misses that additional 10-15% which would make it a phenomenal game which would suck up all your time, but it's very good.
I'm really looking forward to the console release. I'm also interested to read your opinion on what the missing 10-15% is. Thanks.

I'm really looking forward to the console release. I'm also interested to read your opinion on what the missing 10-15% is. Thanks.

Essentially the same stuff I've mentioned before:

1) The liveries are absolute garbage. I don't want to have to bother with 3rd party liveries/mods to have a decent looking car. In today's age where you could easily run a simple competition for user-designed liveries (ala PCars) there is no excuse for terrible lackluster liveries that look so bad.

2) Poor number of stages. While they list "12" stages on each rally, the reality is that it is four stages with reversed layouts and then a couple of stages linking multiple stages together. This is really lame. Easily the biggest upset of the game for me. There are so few stages you can essentially almost memorize most of them if you run a particular rally enough. That shouldn't be the case. I would have supported fewer rallies with more stages...then sell whole rallies as DLC later if you want.

3) Because of the lack of stages there are not nearly enough "real" rallies in the game. Unless you make one yourself for multiplayer you don't run into proper 20+ stage rallies over a weekend. In addition career mode starts you out with silly micro-rallies which are 3-5 stages etc. I don't think we need the hand-holding nonsense like this.

4) I don't particularly like the repair system...using the percentage system is lazy.

5) No tire selection - one of the biggest issues for me. A huge part of rallying is tire selection...and it's completely absent from this game. Because of this there is also no tire-wear present. So it deprives the players of the additional strategic element of picking tires for the next X number of stages - harder for more wear, or go with rain tires because it may rain (and weather is not random in this game, another minor annoyance). This is a huge issue for me.

6) The career and team building mechanic is pretty blase and uninspired.

7) Stages are all extremely technical/tricky. While rallying is difficult it seems that the majority of the stages are 100% technical and difficult the entire length. You don't get into much of a flow. While the game is difficult it seems like they went over-board on some of the stages, particularly in the earlier rallies.

8) No variable weather. While rain/weather etc. is an available option for certain stages it would have been nice to have dynamic/variable weather. Not necessarily changing during the stage - but between stages without telling you ahead of time.

9) Lack of junior level rally cars. There is a severe lack of FWD cars, entry level rally cars, S2000's, junior WRC, junior series cars etc. It's very much of "here are the super-star cars". This hampers the feel of any career progression. There are no small Renaults/Citroens/Opels etc. You cut your teeth on historical FWD cars and jump into faster cars...but none of it represents an actual career in modern rally.

10) Feel of the stages is far too sterile. While the actual layouts are quite good - the trackside elements are weak, repetitive and sterile. We know and acknowledge the graphics are last-gen...and that's fine, you're almost going too fast to notice, but the rallies don't portray much atmosphere from where you are. They could be a lot better done. There is a very limited number of trackside stuff - nothing in the distance, no additional bits to make you feel like you're in a real place.

...and having said all of that the game is still good. But, every single time I put in some hours on the game, I walk away thinking "man this game could have been great..." instead of "wow, what a great game". It's a bit frustrating. They've made leaps and bounds of progress from the arcade non-sense of the 2000's...but they've missed a lot of simple opportunities to put this over the edge.

Agree with all of your points, apart from 7. I feel all the stages flow really nicely and I love how tricky they are but that's just my opinion.

It's a shame that a lot of those points are never going to be looked at / changed or fixed. We'll have 3-4 car packs, 3-4 new rally packs in DLC form in the future, then I fear that will be it for DiRT Rally. :(

Still, one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played, 160 hours play time, so I definitely got my money's worth when I bought it for around £15 earlier on last year.

It's far from perfect, but it's no doubt the best rally game I've ever played. And when you look at the competition and the garbage games Milestone have been pumping out we are very lucky this game arrived. I agree about the liveries being crap though, and console players won't get a choice but on PC it's VERY easy to install custom skins.

h3ON7H9.jpg

Yeah I know the skins are pretty easy, but it's just unacceptable to me that the game ships with such absolutely garbage...belongs on a PS1, the level of detail/effort that went into their skins. I also agree that Milestone is still pumping out crap.

SLER is better than the previous WRC titles but a few moments on the demo were enough for me to uninstall it. Shame since they seem to have more distance/longer rallies - but I was thoroughly unimpressed (also like their car selection more).

Oh and a few other points of bother...

+Really feel Pikes Peak was a half-arsed attempted. Three cars, no ability to drive normal cars on the climb, and a terrible set of graphics...really feels hugely underwhelming.

+Personally the Rallycross is a huge waste for me - zero interest in that at all, would have vastly preferred an additional rally and other cars instead. Wish they'd kept this as DLC instead. That's simple personal opinion. I HATE that form of modern rallycross.

Yeah I know the skins are pretty easy, but it's just unacceptable to me that the game ships with such absolutely garbage...belongs on a PS1, the level of detail/effort that went into their skins. I also agree that Milestone is still pumping out crap.

SLER is better than the previous WRC titles but a few moments on the demo were enough for me to uninstall it. Shame since they seem to have more distance/longer rallies - but I was thoroughly unimpressed (also like their car selection more).

Oh and a few other points of bother...

+Really feel Pikes Peak was a half-arsed attempted. Three cars, no ability to drive normal cars on the climb, and a terrible set of graphics...really feels hugely underwhelming.

+Personally the Rallycross is a huge waste for me - zero interest in that at all, would have vastly preferred an additional rally and other cars instead. Wish they'd kept this as DLC instead. That's simple personal opinion. I HATE that form of modern rallycross.
Thanks very much for your comprehensive replies, I appreciate the effort. I would love to be able to drive rally cars up Pikes Peak, a shame we can't do this.
I am very happy that Rallycross is included, but as you point out whether we like it or not is purely subjective.

I think we all agree that DiRT Rally isn't perfect, but it's by far the best we have and from a very unexpected source.... More importantly, it's many tens of hours of entertainment, good solid difficult rally driving.

Personally the liveries don't bother me. Sure, there could be higher res textures, but for those occasional times you watch a replay it's not too bad. I find it more of a shame that Codies never managed to get full external replays into the game (right now most rallies have a replay camera which alternates between in car and external cameras simulated either trackside or helicopters). Giving us a full trackside camera system would give me more reason to watch the replays and then the car textures might be more of an issue.

The Rallycross is surprisingly fun. I've never played a rallycross "sim" before this, and the amount of car control needed to achieve fast lap times is quite high, so it's a good challenge. The 3 venues (9 layouts) could be better, so I hope for DLC, but the challenge is definitely there. Letting us run other rally cars on those circuits would also go a long way to maximizing the use of them, so I'm absolutely hoping for that.

For me the damage system is well judged: you can easily get rally ending damage, or a puncture which drops you down. But at the same time it's clearly made a bit more accessible so that guys just learning rally skills who end up wrapped around 5 trees in the first 5 corners of a stage don't immediately give up. Sure, a full-on "hardcore damage mode" could be added but I believe only a small percent of users (very small on console) would use it.

My favorite thing in the game is the "Daily Rally". One stage, one shot. No restarts. especially when they throw in Group B cars in the rain at night... You know you're in for a challenge :)

Yeah the daily one-shot rallies sound cool. Must be a big sense of acheivement when you get a clean stage.

One thing id like to see in that isnt is other cars on the rally...either you catching them up in the distance or them catching you. Also seeing rivals spun out in the verge hehe.

Just played the SLR demo. Wow, how can Milestone have it so wrong, when Codies got it so right. No brainer really.

Not much of a surprise if you played any of their terrible WRC titles. To be fair I think they got caught off guard. They were complacent with zero credible rally titles over the past 10 years, so they probably stole a lot of sales from people desperate to get some kind of rally game.

Dirt Rally probably kicked them straight in the teeth but they'd already had most of the game finished and had no choice but to release it. I'd be a little miffed if I were Sebastien Loeb though. :D

Just played the SLR demo. Wow, how can Milestone have it so wrong, when Codies got it so right. No brainer really.

What have they got so wrong? The demo is one stage. The only major fault so far is the car sounds, other than that it is so far so good. Also as the full game doesn't ship till Friday it is still only DEMO impressions.

Not much of a surprise if you played any of their terrible WRC titles. To be fair I think they got caught off guard. They were complacent with zero credible rally titles over the past 10 years, so they probably stole a lot of sales from people desperate to get some kind of rally game.

Dirt Rally probably kicked them straight in the teeth but they'd already had most of the game finished and had no choice but to release it. I'd be a little miffed if I were Sebastien Loeb though. :D

WRC 1 and 2 are desvering of terrible but 3 and 4 were plenty good enough considering the distinct lack of any other choice in the rally genre. Particularly 4 which was a good solid game if perhaps not the best ever rally game. Milestone haven't made a name for themselves in quality regards but neither have codemasters in recent years. Maybe they have it right with dirt rally but given as its not playable on consoles for us yet we have to wait.

Either way SLRE I feel is getting a lot of unfair press from people who just aren't bothering to give it a chance and who frankly are going to miss out on a very good rally game.

I'm sure Milestone will do well...from the demo I got the distinct impression you could really master those stages with a fast car (they were all quite wide with a perfectly flat ground element). But, for someone genuinely interested in rallying, it was leaps and bounds worse than Dirt Rally. Would I buy it on Steam sale? Sure, probably will in fact. Give it 6 months to a year and it'll be $17.95 or something silly on sale.

The demo was really disappointing to me. But I only played WRC 2 and I think...4? Considering how Dirt Rally still doesn't live up to my needs in a rally game, the WRC were well behind that.

The SLRE demo is very poor.

Firstly the FFB sucked and I couldn't even change the degrees of rotation on my wheel.

Secondly, the game optimisation was very poor. Running the game on max setting gave me a average frame rate of 30-70, kept jumping up and down. And was limited to a poor frame rate in the menus which made it feel really slow. And even with these settings, the tree texture quality and some other things still looked terrible.

Thirdly, why would you pay full whack for a rally game which isn't as good as its competitors. DiRT Rally is cheaper and a whole lot better. Milestone have got it all wrong in my opinion.

Hmmm, so I wasn't the only one with my FPS jumping in weird spasms? Thought it was just my rig. It was if the game was lagging then catching up etc. I can't imagine that would make it through to the final product. If that's the case the game would be unplayable. I'm hoping that's just a result of being a demo.

Hmmm, so I wasn't the only one with my FPS jumping in weird spasms? Thought it was just my rig. It was if the game was lagging then catching up etc. I can't imagine that would make it through to the final product. If that's the case the game would be unplayable. I'm hoping that's just a result of being a demo.

A lot of people are having the same problem. I don't get issues like this with any other game I play m, just SLRE.

Even if it is a problem with just the demo, it's not a very good selling point is it.

@MildAshers Framerate (Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally fly on my system). Menus are not responsive. On initial launch my G25 pulls to the left, I cannot steer to the right.

So yeah that is why I think Milestone have done a pretty bad job at the PC demo of SLR. Given that, I do not have high hopes for the final product.

I didn't realise I was dealing with PC, try it on a console.

Amazes me that people still think rally evos stages are wide and "can be mastered in a fast car" like really? Not watched any videos of it?

All I'm saying is that the demo stage was very wide and extremely flat by comparison to stages in other rally games. If there are other tighter stages, good, but it smacked of a game that would be a bit too easy. Like I said, I'm sure I'll pick it up in the far future for kicks...but it does not feel like a serious rally game to me.

Back