DiRT Rally Thread

I don't mind paying for DLC now either, but its a bit unfair on the console guys as when the game gets released for them there will be DLC available which has already been driven by us PC guys, especially as no doubt the game will be around £40.

you can do seat adjustment, not sure how good the FoV adjustment is because the dashcam is excellent and I just use that.

Actually using cockpit view: If you want to see wheel+hands then sadly it's limited to 180 degrees of rotation shown, however if you tell it to just show the wheel it will give you full on-screen rotation (basically just like Raceroom). Watching replays with the wheel only turning 180 degrees is a bit disconcerting, but I accepted Codies explanation that they simply didn't have the time to rewrite those driver animations.

thanks for the answers

I like "to put myself" something between cockpit view and dashcam. To me normal cockpit view feel too distant and in a rally game i really need maximum focus on the track with maximum view. I want to be very near to the window but seeing a bit of the wheel and of the gaudges. In pcars i found the options to do so amazing.

I never played Grid 2, so it wasn't really an issue for me. And I don't think that it really contributed enough to Grid Autosport to say that the game was incomplete at the time of launch without it.

The point I'm trying to make is Codies was withholding content that could be on the disc at Day 1 and resold them as DLC for the second time. Whether or not you have played the previous game or GAS was "complete" at launch is irrelevant. This kind of content recycling is a big no-no for me. Actual new content that developers didn't have time to put on the disc at launch sold as paid DLC is completely fine.

The point I'm trying to make is Codies was withholding content that could be on the disc at Day 1 and resold them as DLC for the second time. Whether or not you have played the previous game or GAS was "complete" at launch is irrelevant. This kind of content recycling is a big no-no for me. Actual new content that developers didn't have time to put on the disc at launch sold as paid DLC is completely fine.
I'm not completely coming to Codies defense here, but the GRiD 2 point to point routes weren't the core circuit racing which was found in the release Autosport game, and they didn't really fit into career.

I think Codies honestly didn't expect anyone to want GRiD 2 point to point tracks in Autosport and was surprised by feedback so they packaged it up, created the AI using newer Autosport physics, prettied up some parts, and gave it as DLC.

Since the Autosport season pass was cheap, I think the vast majority of people interested in trying that DLC got it without paying extra anyway.

I'm not completely coming to Codies defense here, but the GRiD 2 point to point routes weren't the core circuit racing which was found in the release Autosport game, and they didn't really fit into career.

I think Codies honestly didn't expect anyone to want GRiD 2 point to point tracks in Autosport and was surprised by feedback so they packaged it up, created the AI using newer Autosport physics, prettied up some parts, and gave it as DLC.

Since the Autosport season pass was cheap, I think the vast majority of people interested in trying that DLC got it without paying extra anyway.

They could have slotted it into the Tuner part of career and spice up the variety. As it is, Tuner events are only Time and Drift Trials which gets repetitive quickly.

And I don't think they included it due to community feedback. The DLC plans for GAS were outlined even before the game is released. Each pack was released according to schedule, and after the last Season Pass content came out they dropped all support. So it was all planned.

Season pass is cheap. Well, it would've been cheaper if there were no pass at all. I actually went back and cross checked all DLC for GAS. Pretty much the only content that is completely new (not in Race Driver Grid, Grid 2, or their F1 games) is Drag Pack and the cars in Touring Legends. And don't even get me started on the Boost Pack or 5x extra garage slots.

It's an insult to customers especially because they positioned GAS as an apology for the mess that was Grid 2, but they still stuck with their poor DLC practices. Despite being a good game on its own merits, GAS was a low point for me because of this. They have redeemed themselves with how they managed Dirt Rally's early access, so I hope that they won't pull off something like this again in the future.

Don't hold your breath when it comes to dlc. From I found out when being part of the WMD process for project cars, getting just race cars licenced makes the whole process a lot tricker. As there's less incentive for manufacturers. It why there quite a few boring road cars in project cars.
The other difficulty CM has is finding cars close to the original car that can be easily accessed and run.
However with the game coming to console it should help CM case when getting access to cars.

One of my previous daily stage results.
This one was snowy and it was pretty hard to see the way...
I'm lucky on the snow stages. ^_^
St1KeF93eNY.jpg

kzx9lq2rURI.jpg

I have always hated snow rallies in Codemasters rally games. For the most part, they're actually pretty good - but there's always one stage that involves driving on a frozen lake, and it's always terrible.

I have always hated snow rallies in Codemasters rally games. For the most part, they're actually pretty good - but there's always one stage that involves driving on a frozen lake, and it's always terrible.
No frozen lakes this time round, only snow or ice type surfaces wedged between the "soft" snow banks. I found this combination to be nicer to drive than snow rallies in previous games.

We all know the modern studded snow tyres are insanely high grip, and you can get impressively high speeds in the snow, but it's so very easy to clip a snow bank in the wrong way, or misread the road due to white-on-white.

We all know the modern studded snow tyres are insanely high grip, and you can get impressively high speeds in the snow, but it's so very easy to clip a snow bank in the wrong way, or misread the road due to white-on-white.
All part and parcel of the sport. But I just remember the first (or maybe second) stage in Sweden in the original Colin McRae Rally where I had to trundle around at 30km/h - because as soon as I'd hit 35km/h, I would understeer into the nearest snow bank - as 95% of the stage surface was ice. I could only ever do it in a 2WD car like the Renault Mégane. The second Sweden stage in Colin McRae Rally 2.0 was no less laborious, but at least the ice only made up about 40% of the stage, so there was a chance of making up lost time. Weirdly enough, the Peugeot 206 was an absolute rocketship on ice.

I just can't wait for Dirt Rally to come out on PS4. Do you think that there will be more cars? Current list is pretty good, just curious. :)

I just can't wait for Dirt Rally to come out on PS4. Do you think that there will be more cars? Current list is pretty good, just curious. :)
I think many people are wondering this ;)

No news yet from Codemasters... We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm guessing codies aren't going to release any DLC until the console version is released. Watching their most recent twitch stream Christmas special, they said they're gonna be very busy over the coming months getting ready for console launch.

Your guess is as good as mine.

I would pay for DLC with no problem but Codemasters should give us, console players all the cars there already are and make some new. If they release what PC already has as paid DLC, that would be bad idea.

Codies' Dirt blog has gone quiet too. Normally they have one every Friday but the last entry was on 18 December. They could be on Christmas/New Year leave but I wonder if they have something brewing?

Noob question for wheel users on this game: Is there an easy way to use the handbrake with a steering wheel?

I'll definitely be buying this game for PS4, and I'll invest in a wheel and hopefully a VR headset (If it's a feature... which I'm positive it will be), but surely for a rally game where you need to use the handbrake a lot, it must be damn difficult to hit a tiny button on the steering wheel while the wheel is rotating?

Apart from this, this looks like the rally game I've been waiting over a decade for. Seriously, the last rally game I bought was Colin Mcrae 2.0 on the PS1. :lol:

Noob question for wheel users on this game: Is there an easy way to use the handbrake with a steering wheel?

I'll definitely be buying this game for PS4, and I'll invest in a wheel and hopefully a VR headset (If it's a feature... which I'm positive it will be), but surely for a rally game where you need to use the handbrake a lot, it must be damn difficult to hit a tiny button on the steering wheel while the wheel is rotating?

Apart from this, this looks like the rally game I've been waiting over a decade for. Seriously, the last rally game I bought was Colin Mcrae 2.0 on the PS1. :lol:

I just use the top right button on my g27, you need to hit the handbrake as you enter the hairpin so it's fairly easy to do once you get used to it.

Great stuff, thanks for the advice chaps!

@ETID That's a really good solution... Never thought of that. I think that'll be the way to go. 👍

I'm just hoping for keyboard support on PS4 like in Pcars, because I have a digital handbrake wired to a keyboard. Never need it in Pcars, but it would be very useful in Dirt Rally. Also hoping for Fanatec support on the PS4 version.

I'm just hoping for keyboard support on PS4 like in Pcars, because I have a digital handbrake wired to a keyboard. Never need it in Pcars, but it would be very useful in Dirt Rally. Also hoping for Fanatec support on the PS4 version.
Buy a PC :D

If I had the budget for a decent one I would. I got the PS4 because it was ridiculously cheap in comparison. My car takes up the rest of my funds lol. I plan on building a good gaming PC by the time next gen consoles come out. Not gonna buy into the next gen, as they seem to be getting further and further away from decent PC specs.

I'm using paddles for shifting and mapped the handbrake to sequential down on my G25 (just like pulling back a lever on real rally cars). Works pretty well on RBR, don't know if you can map it like that on DR though.

If I had the budget for a decent one I would. I got the PS4 because it was ridiculously cheap in comparison. My car takes up the rest of my funds lol. I plan on building a good gaming PC by the time next gen consoles come out. Not gonna buy into the next gen, as they seem to be getting further and further away from decent PC specs.

That's so true, I was expecting the latest consoles to run games at 60fps and 1080p. Even that would be weak compared to PC's but the 30fps cap on most games was the reason I sold my PS4.

I used to spend all my money on cars as well but decided to drop 2k on a decent PC, it was well worth it ;)

That's so true, I was expecting the latest consoles to run games at 60fps and 1080p. Even that would be weak compared to PC's but the 30fps cap on most games was the reason I sold my PS4.

I used to spend all my money on cars as well but decided to drop 2k on a decent PC, it was well worth it ;)

2k on a PC isn't worth it for me, not right now. I'll wait it out 'till prob around when the next gen of consoles comes out. I'd rather spend that kind of money on real cars atm, since I'd really only be buying such a PC for racing sims. Having a family doesn't help the financial crisis in my home haha.

Back