DiRT Rally Thread

I'm using paddles for shifting and mapped the handbrake to sequential down on my G25 (just like pulling back a lever on real rally cars). Works pretty well on RBR, don't know if you can map it like that on DR though.
You definitely can.
I've used sequential down on my TH8A and also used 4th gear on the TH8A, both are fine depending on whether you want to bother switching from H mode to sequential just to play DR.

2k on a PC isn't worth it for me, not right now. I'll wait it out 'till prob around when the next gen of consoles comes out. I'd rather spend that kind of money on real cars atm, since I'd really only be buying such a PC for racing sims. Having a family doesn't help the financial crisis in my home haha.
700 bucks already buys you a decent one. The 300 you spend extra you'll recuperate anyway as you don't have to re buy peripherals, don't need to pay for online and games are cheaper.

EBay is your friend;)

Ebay is dodgy lol. I could get a decent used PC for about a grand, but at $700, even used I'd be looking at a PC that would be no more capable than a PS4, and at that level I'm not interested in the extra hassle PC gaming comes with.

I'm only interested in getting into it at a higher level that would allow playing current games at max settings at very high frame rates. In other words, I'd be looking at a current top of the range PC. It would be worth the hassle at that level. a $700 PC is basically just a crap console lol.

I got my PC already built for me for about £1000. Specs below:

i5 4690k @ 3.5 Ghz
GTX 970 4GB
16GB DDR3

Can play any game on high to ultra settings never dropping below 30fps.

I got my PC already built for me for about £1000. Specs below:

i5 4690k @ 3.5 Ghz
GTX 970 4GB
16GB DDR3

Can play any game on high to ultra settings never dropping below 30fps.

I would be wanting 60fps min on ultra on current games, and 1000gbp is over 2000aud, so that illustrates my point quite well.

Ebay is dodgy lol. I could get a decent used PC for about a grand, but at $700, even used I'd be looking at a PC that would be no more capable than a PS4, and at that level I'm not interested in the extra hassle PC gaming comes with.

I'm only interested in getting into it at a higher level that would allow playing current games at max settings at very high frame rates. In other words, I'd be looking at a current top of the range PC. It would be worth the hassle at that level. a $700 PC is basically just a crap console lol.
That's not true though, I got a gtx960 + i5 combo for that. Beats both current gen consoles easily, and will last a couple of years more for sure.

That's not true though, I got a gtx960 + i5 combo for that. Beats both current gen consoles easily, and will last a couple of years more for sure.

For $700 Australian dollars? Or $700 US? Because I can't even find second hand PCs that good for that price. A GTX960 by itself costs between $320 and $370 brand new.

Edit: unless by GTX960 + i5 you mean just the processor and graphics card, and not the rest of the PC lol, because for $700 - $800 I could get just those two items haha, but I'd have to shell out quite a bit for the rest of the computer to put them in.

I don't think you could build a PC for under £1000 that can run any game on ultra never dropping below 60fps. Due to some games having optimisation problems, they can run badly and it's nothing to do with your rig.

I don't think you could build a PC for under £1000 that can run any game on ultra never dropping below 60fps. Due to some games having optimisation problems, they can run badly and it's nothing to do with your rig.

I know that, that's my point. You need a lot of headroom for that kind of consistency. That's why I don't have a PC yet.

For $700 Australian dollars? Or $700 US? Because I can't even find second hand PCs that good for that price. A GTX960 by itself costs between $320 and $370 brand new.

Edit: unless by GTX960 + i5 you mean just the processor and graphics card, and not the rest of the PC lol, because for $700 - $800 I could get just those two items haha, but I'd have to shell out quite a bit for the rest of the computer to put them in.
Euros :), forgot about the Aussie dollar there. Yeah an entire pre assembled PC, I can't run everything on Ultra with games like Pcars or AC, but I get a decent frame rate of 60+ on high to ultra settings, which is good enough for me and is way better than these current consoles can manage.

Euros :), forgot about the Aussie dollar there. Yeah an entire pre assembled PC, I can't run everything on Ultra with games like Pcars or AC, but I get a decent frame rate of 60+ on high to ultra settings, which is good enough for me and is way better than these current consoles can manage.

Yeah PS4 manages up to 60fps, and as little as 40 in high stress situations, on equivalent of high PC settings in Pcars, which is respectable for a system that costs less than half of what that PC cost you, although, pricing gets complicated when you mix currencies. In this great brown land of mine (lol), your 700Euros converts to $1100aud, but your PC would cost more than $1100aud here. Also, A PS4 is $400 new here, and I don't know if it's dropped in price over there again, but last I heard it was down to 350Euros over there, which converts to $550aud!

So if I could get your PC for the aud equivalent of what it cost you, it would cost me 2 + 1/2 times the price of a PS4, but a PC of those specs would actually cost more here than that. However, over there, a PS4 is worth the equivalent of $150aud more than it is here, so essentially, your consoles are more expensive, and your PCs are cheaper, so buying a console makes no sense at those prices.

And also I hate you :P

Edit: I'll have to make the jump sooner or later anyway, just too much good stuff on PC not available on consoles, and it's looking like the next year or two will be a great time to make the switch. Also in the next year good PCs will be quite affordable. Though for now I'll just have to hope Dirt Rally runs well on PS4, and keep spending all my money on my car (and my family of course) lol.

Last edited:
I know that, that's my point. You need a lot of headroom for that kind of consistency. That's why I don't have a PC yet.

It all depends on what games you will be playing, as the performance varies massively depending on the game. For example I have some games that run at 144fps constantly and others that can't even hold 30. If you will only play racing games you can easily get away with a GTX 960 which is quite cheap.

We do get ripped off here for PC parts though, my 970 costs more than a PS4 :lol:

It all depends on what games you will be playing, as the performance varies massively depending on the game. For example I have some games that run at 144fps constantly and others that can't even hold 30. If you will only play racing games you can easily get away with a GTX 960 which is quite cheap.

We do get ripped off here for PC parts though, my 970 costs more than a PS4 :lol:

I used to play a ton of games on a 960. It's a great budget card and shouldn't be looked down on. So definitely consider it Mike, when building your PC!

Thanks guys. Yeah I've been stalking the PC parts building and supply websites for quite a while now. Biding my time and waiting for the right opportunity. I had planned to build one this gen, but I just didn't have the money to build what I wanted to, and with everything else in my life that was squeezing the life out of my wallet, I saw the PS4 on sale quite cheap pretty early in it's life and figured it was so cheap I had nothing to lose by buying one.

I have a friend who has an unhealthy obsession with online games like WoW and LoL (not my thing personally, but each to their own), and he's got a few connections I could probably use to build a gaming PC, so I'll prob be able to sort something out in the not so distant future for a reasonable price.

In any case, does anyone know what wheels will be supported on PS4 for Dirt Rally? And whether external keyboards will be supported?

In any case, does anyone know what wheels will be supported on PS4 for Dirt Rally? And whether external keyboards will be supported?
Assume the same wheels as F1 2015, which should mean G29, T150, T300, T500 but potentially also Fanatec kit.

Thrustmaster's support site already confirmed support for the three wheels above with DR on PS4, the rest is speculation.
T500: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=3&fid=15&pid=317&cid=12
T300: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=3&fid=15&pid=375&cid=12
T150: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=3&fid=15&pid=392&cid=12

Assume the same wheels as F1 2015, which should mean G29, T150, T300, T500 but potentially also Fanatec kit.

Thrustmaster's support site already confirmed support for the three wheels above with DR on PS4, the rest is speculation.
T500: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=3&fid=15&pid=317&cid=12
T300: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=3&fid=15&pid=375&cid=12
T150: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=3&fid=15&pid=392&cid=12

Cheers mate, I guess it does make sense to assume Codies will support the same wheels as they do in F1, which would be good news for me lol.

I'm using paddles for shifting and mapped the handbrake to sequential down on my G25 (just like pulling back a lever on real rally cars). Works pretty well on RBR, don't know if you can map it like that on DR though.

I used to do this with my DFGT on ps3.. the problem with the T300 on the PS4, the paddles and the TS8A/RS in sequential mode are both mapped to L1/R1 - at least on Project Cars. So you can't use them for separate actions.

I have been meaning to build a handbrake using a bike brake cable that will physically push the L3 or R3 buttons on the base to get around this but have not yet. I did not want to open the base up and wire it because the warranty is still good. I am likely just going to use the shifter in h pattern mode and use 4th as the handbrake and use rubber bands or w/e to give resistance. The downside to this is losing H-pattern shifting for classic cars but not a big deal.

So I tried pre-ordering DiRT Rally at gamestop, and it wasn't in their system.
I've been trying to do same thing two times but to no avail. The second time, the Gamestop clerk had to contact his district manager and even he had no clue why it still wasn't up for pre-order in their system. I asked Codemasters on twitter (iirc) during their Christmas special stream but no direct answer. I'm assuming they're still figuring out the pre-order bonuses and whatnot.

I used to do this with my DFGT on ps3.. the problem with the T300 on the PS4, the paddles and the TS8A/RS in sequential mode are both mapped to L1/R1 - at least on Project Cars. So you can't use them for separate actions.

I have been meaning to build a handbrake using a bike brake cable that will physically push the L3 or R3 buttons on the base to get around this but have not yet. I did not want to open the base up and wire it because the warranty is still good. I am likely just going to use the shifter in h pattern mode and use 4th as the handbrake and use rubber bands or w/e to give resistance. The downside to this is losing H-pattern shifting for classic cars but not a big deal.

Thanks for the heads up 👍 I was planning on getting a T300, but this is a potential downer for me (along with the notorious reliability issues). I hope it's only a problem isolated to PCARS. Anybody using a T300 with Dirt Rally can confirm if paddles and sequential shifter are separate?

I've not tried, but since you can run the TH8A via USB or plug it into the T300 base I would assume that running it via USB would cause it to be mappable as separate from the T300 paddle shifters.

I've not tried, but since you can run the TH8A via USB or plug it into the T300 base I would assume that running it via USB would cause it to be mappable as separate from the T300 paddle shifters.

On PC yes this is true.. but I tried both USB and direct connect on ps4 and it still mapped to L1/R1 .. I guess a good test would be to try the ps+ version of DriveClub and see what it does. The problem is on the ps4 there are only a specific number of inputs.. so if the Thrustmaster driver is built to have the TH8a seqential as L1/R1 there is nothing we can do about it. - Again this is why my quick fix plan was to use the TH8 in H pattern mode and use bungies or rubber bands to make 4th gear slot a usable handbrake position.

Not likely I will try anytime soon though.. I am kinda on a Battlefield4 kick right now and my wheel setup is in the closet.

The latest Dirt Rally roadbook has released some juicy information.

Firstly, finally a fix for the league system will be coming as a patch sometime early next month.

Secondly, here is a quote from the roadbook mentioning some sort of DLC upcoming.

'Some of you have expressed concerns that we’ll leave you hanging until the console update, rest assured that’s not the case. We’re pulling a package together right now, and once it’s undergone some thorough testing, we’ll be pushing it out into the wild. It’s hard to give you an exact timeframe as we’re not sure how long it will take to build / test, but keep your eye on the forums and we’ll keep you posted'.

Happy days is all I can say!

A simple and cheap trick for handbraking with a wheel (assuming you have a manual shifter handy) is to use the paddles for shifting gears, and apply 3-4 rubber bands to the manual gear lever, assigning 4th gear as the handbrake. For instance on the TH8A, three decent rubber bands will pull the lever out of 4th when you let go.

Works just like a real handbrake. Pull down, when you let go it'll pop back into neutral. We used to do the same thing when using the basic G27 manual shifter. I've seen a lot of folks do this, and it works perfectly on my set-up.

In Dirt Rally there is definitely something cool about holding it and letting it pop on the starting line. :D

Secondly, here is a quote from the roadbook mentioning some sort of DLC upcoming.
With any luck, they'll get the DS3, i20, Polo R and Yaris WRCs. Maybe some more rally locations, too - Argentina or Portugal or Japan.

Hey, a guy can dream.

Back