DiRT Rally Thread

All I'm saying is that the demo stage was very wide and extremely flat by comparison to stages in other rally games. If there are other tighter stages, good, but it smacked of a game that would be a bit too easy. Like I said, I'm sure I'll pick it up in the far future for kicks...but it does not feel like a serious rally game to me.

What game were you playing? Are we still taking about Sebastian Loeb rally? You know the stages are modelled on the real ones with no artificial widening?

I had the chance to be selected into the final poll for the official DIRT Rally T-Shirt ! and I can't believe it ...

Here is my entry for the officiel DIRT Rally T-Shirt design :

12573936_999424936796741_4073933412925899365_n.jpg

The poll is available here on facebook, the winner will be the official Dirt Rally Tshirt ( too bad I don't have a facebook account ... ):

Any support would be more than amazing !

Thank you for reading !

What game were you playing? Are we still taking about Sebastian Loeb rally? You know the stages are modelled on the real ones with no artificial widening?

Buddy, I get it. You love the game. Go nuts, I'm not stopping ya. Simply saying the game's demo drove/felt like crap. When you went off the actual path surface there was no change in grip/FFB. The sides of the roads were way too driver-friendly in my opinion.

I've spent thousands of hours driving off-road, and yes, some of them in a rally car. Simply put the game didn't represent any of that effectively to me in the demo. End of story.

Buddy, I get it. You love the game. Go nuts, I'm not stopping ya. Simply saying the game's demo drove/felt like crap. When you went off the actual path surface there was no change in grip/FFB. The sides of the roads were way too driver-friendly in my opinion.

I've spent thousands of hours driving off-road, and yes, some of them in a rally car. Simply put the game didn't represent any of that effectively to me in the demo. End of story.

That's fine, just don't get opinion mixed up with fact.

While they list "12" stages on each rally, the reality is that it is four stages with reversed layouts and then a couple of stages linking multiple stages together. This is really lame. Easily the biggest upset of the game for me. There are so few stages you can essentially almost memorize most of them if you run a particular rally enough. That shouldn't be the case. I would have supported fewer rallies with more stages...then sell whole rallies as DLC later if you want.
Codemasters really, really needs to stop doing this. Stages are the blood of a rally game, and CM's games have been anemic for years. I'm glad I bought the "Complete Edition" of Dirt 3 because it still feels thin on content.

The stage recycling issue is gonna get worse with every console generation. A 10km point to point stage with various trackside objects is much much harder to create than a 4km looping track with a few buildings here and there. At the end of the day it's a choice between quality and quantity. You can have proper long and unique stages, but the game will take 10 years to make. Me personally, I'd rather they dial back graphics (PS2 level RBR is enough for me) and make proper stages rather than HD stages but only 4 unique routes.

That's why Codemasters should implement support for modded tracks. Fans would make hundreds of long, high quality tracks and CM wouldn't have to lift a finger.

At one point the DiRT community manager said "we can't have custom tracks because we don't have a tool that would enable you guys to make them" but they wouldn't need to make their own track editor; all they'd have to do is to release the documentation on the track file formats and some modder would make an editor eventually.

@LeGeNd-1 -- HD graphics holding back gameplay, what else is new? I agree with you on the dialed-back graphics point.

IMO, the rally genre could really benefit from a sophisticated procedural stage generator. A virtually endless supply of corners you've never seen before, with assets for each of the usual locales and seeds players can share. Coincidentally, Codemasters published FUEL (developed by Asobo), which employs procedural generation for its huge map of roads and trails.

The problem with mod stages are the pace notes. If I remember correctly, they recorded the pace notes with the co driver on a motion rig in one go for each stage. They don't have short notes that can be added to stages using mods.

Voted! The one with the sliding Impreze is also nice. But yours is better!

I had the chance to be selected into the final poll for the official DIRT Rally T-Shirt ! and I can't believe it ...

Here is my entry for the officiel DIRT Rally T-Shirt design :

12573936_999424936796741_4073933412925899365_n.jpg

The poll is available here on facebook, the winner will be the official Dirt Rally Tshirt ( too bad I don't have a facebook account ... ):

Any support would be more than amazing !

Thank you for reading !

@LeGeNd-1 -- HD graphics holding back gameplay, what else is new? I agree with you on the dialed-back graphics point.

IMO, the rally genre could really benefit from a sophisticated procedural stage generator. A virtually endless supply of corners you've never seen before, with assets for each of the usual locales and seeds players can share. Coincidentally, Codemasters published FUEL (developed by Asobo), which employs procedural generation for its huge map of roads and trails.

Something like GT5's course maker in point-to-point form would be a good start. The problem with procedural generation is it kinda gets repetitive after a while. I mean sure the corners are new, but you start noticing patterns in the surroundings and everything starts feeling "been there, done that". This is a big criticism of FUEL as well (personally I love that game since the repetitiveness makes the world feel more natural).

Also there's a demand for real world stages to be replicated, and the pacenote problem as stated by someone above.

It sucks really. The reason why rallying isn't as popular as F1 and circuit racing in real life (long stages = difficult coverage) is also the reason why rally games can't be good. This is before we even get to raid style events like Dakar :crazy:

I think a possible solution (albeit, not real stages) would be to create a large map/world with loads of criss-crossing gravel/tarmac/mud roads. Basically a very large map with dozens of roads crossing each other, lots of branching and splits. Then have a method for the players to select portions and designate them as a stage - using a simple point-plot method. You select the stage (making it as long as you want/can depending on the roads available) and then select the direction in which it's traveled and select a start/stop point.

Each large map could be a single DLC itself.

@TheElbows -- That was a feature in FUEL as well, actually, and it would be a great option if such a map was offered. 👍

Something like GT5's course maker in point-to-point form would be a good start. The problem with procedural generation is it kinda gets repetitive after a while. I mean sure the corners are new, but you start noticing patterns in the surroundings and everything starts feeling "been there, done that". This is a big criticism of FUEL as well (personally I love that game since the repetitiveness makes the world feel more natural).
Games already reuse assets for flora, buildings, etc. and I know I'd get a lot more out of it than a rally game with a handful of stages dressed up as "twelve" of them.

To me FUEL's world wasn't repetitive, just somewhat rough and unpolished, like how roads or streams weren't always drawn into the terrain correctly and details on a distant hillside came out pixellated. The lifeless and underdeveloped gameplay is what brought it down the most, IMO. I love the game too; I think it's a cult classic of racing games.

Also there's a demand for real world stages to be replicated, and the pacenote problem as stated by someone above.
Real world stages are a different matter, yes. It may be possible to automate pacenotes, but it wouldn't be "authentic" like the process ProjectWHaT described.

You missed emphasizing the key word "free"....

I was expecting only DLC packs from release (and quite happy to buy whatever they release) so this is unexpected :)

Basically a very large map with dozens of roads crossing each other, lots of branching and splits. Then have a method for the players to select portions and designate them as a stage - using a simple point-plot method.
Tearing through Kyrat in Far Cry 4, I'm impressed at how good some of the roads would be for rallying.

Looks really good, thankfully they are not going for parity and 1080p/60 is welcomed. Any word on console pricing? Eurogamer saying it's a bit short on content.

So much awesome coming in that video. Really pleased with everything there....

Once they've done that, more stages are the sole DLC priority as far as I'm concerned. I really really hope they get the chance to deliver.

P.S. Right now I'd take DiRT Rally's quality over Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo's quantity if asked to choose.

Hm, the 208 seems lonely.

The McRrae liveries are a great touch. Proper 555 Impreza at last...

And I understand this:

Console gamers pre-ordering the digital edition of DiRT Rally will receive both the Fully Loaded MINI Pack and the Fully Loaded Rallycross Pack, which unlocks the Mini Classic Rallycross.

We’re so excited that DiRT Rally is finally hitting consoles, we’ve also decided to release a limited run DiRT Rally Legend Edition, which will also be available from pre-order for today – and will also feature the Fully Loaded MINI Pack, which unlocks and fully upgrades the MINI Cooper S from the start of the game, gives an exclusive livery for the car, and provides a unique team mechanic with perks.

...reads as early unlock DLC which is understandable, and nothing is exclusive at this point (apart from the mechanic details but we'll see what that entails).

Last edited:
Quote from His Paulness

But would Codemasters ever launch a game in Early Access again? Yes, says Coleman, but only under the right circumstances.

"I would totally do it again," he says, "but it would have to be the right thing to do it with. I wouldn't want to go out there and say, 'Hey, we're making DiRT Rally 2. And guess what? We're doing Early Access again because you liked it when we did it last time'. I think it needs the right scenario for it to make sense.

lol, dig at PCARS?

The Impreza didn't feel right without the McRae livery. Glad to see more content, although, personally I'd like to see rally Toyota's added. As well as the Pikes Peak Tacoma.

Back