DiRT Rally Thread

Every millisecond counts.

IMG_20151206_215145.jpg

• We’ve fixed a number of co driver call issues in German, French, Italian and Spanish.
  • We’ve found some parts lying around in the back of the service areas so you can now upgrade your Hyundai Rally Car.
  • Need more snow in your life? Custom championships now include Sweden.
  • Fixed a missing Italian text string in the part failure message.
  • Fixed a number of graphical issues including; Opaque windows on Rallycross AI cars, a corrupt texture after partly detaching the rear bumper in the rain, some weird flickering in bonnet cam when switching the Virtual Rear View Mirror on and some glowing thing on Holjes.

Hope they include an ST185 GT Four in the full version. Been waiting for a realistic rally game with a 185 forever. Dunno why it gets so often overlooked in games that have way less successful cars included in them. It'd be like not putting in the Delta Integrale.

I used to try and play rally games using the button next to my thumb and I did not like it on the part I am clumsy. On ps4 since the THA8 cannot use analogue mode or be mapped separately from the flappy paddles when it is in sequential mode, I can't do what I used to do with my DFGT on ps3 (use the paddles to shift and the sequential stick as the handbrake).

I already have a few different plans for the handbrake -

First would be to actually run a cable (like a bicycle brake cable) from a leaver that would press the L3 or R3 button on my T300 base. I got the idea from this guy's video this would allow me to not void my warranty, keep my clutch for classic h pattern rally cars, and use my TH8a in both sequential and h pattern mode.

The other option would be to use the TH8a in H pattern mode and map 4th gear as the handbrake. For this I would need to create a way to stop the shifter from going forward into 3rd and use bungie cords or rubber bands to pull it out of 4th. Would have to use the flappy paddles to shift though.

I'm assuming you'll be on PS4, so hopefully they allow us PS4 users to use a keyboard like we can in Pcars.

I made a handbrake out of my old DFGT sequential shifter, cut it right off the rest of the DFGT, and made a bigger handle for it to replace the tiny little knob.

I then connected wires to the contact points for the space bar on the keyboard I use on PS4, and those wires have connectors on the ends that the DFGT shifter's wires plug right into. I just pulled the pins out of the plug that the shifter uses to connect to the DFGT's main board, and those pins plug right into the connectors on the wires I added to the keyboard.

I mapped it as handbrake on Pcars and it works a treat. It's digital only obviously, but it was free and easy to make, as I had the DFGT lying around gathering dust anyway.

simrig05 by Mike Thestig, on Flickr

simrig06 by Mike Thestig, on Flickr

I also took the wiring and potentiometers out of the old DFGT pedals. I could use them to make an analogue handbrake, all I need is to buy a plug that will fit the handbrake port on my CSPs, wire one of the DFGT pots to it, and then mount the pot to a lever. So that's another idea for re-purposing DFGT parts lol.

Edit: Sorry about the double post, I didn't realise until I'd posted it.

Hope they include an ST185 GT Four in the full version. Been waiting for a realistic rally game with a 185 forever. Dunno why it gets so often overlooked in games that have way less successful cars included in them. It'd be like not putting in the Delta Integrale.
This is the full version.

I am pretty sure Codies would have loved to get it. That they didn't probably means either the license was too difficult to obtain, or there was no actual ST185 to be found anywhere to digitize (or too expensive to borrow, or not allowed to actually turn it on to record engine sounds, or many other challenges).

It may have something to do with the car's reputation - as successful as it was, the drivers hated it. They had all sorts of problems with the weight, overly-complicated suspension, a stiff bodyshell, and the engine generating too much torque for the gearbox to handle. In the end, Toyota had to lock the central differential at 50:50 just to stand any chance of setting the car up. It was only the bombproof reliability that made it drivable; the drivers usually put it in the scenery at some point. I still remember Carlos Sainz somersaulting seven times in Australia.

Ever since Group B, Toyota had a run of horrible cars. The Twin Cam Turbo was better-suited to Group 4 regulations and so didn't stand a chance against the likes of the Audi Quattro and Peugeot 205, the Supra 3.0i was the best plaform of a bad bunch in the Group A era, the ST165 was groundbreaking in some areas and primitive in others (namely engine cooling), the ST185 was described above, the ST205 was notorious for the cheating scandal, and the Corolla WRC was limited by its size and shape and so became redundant quickly.

Is it any wonder Toyota got Tommi Mäkkinen to oversee the Yaris WRC programme rather than TTE?

Didn't that Toyota also get disqualified one year as the turbo was rigged so that you could increase power gain from inside the car as it was going along.

So is that it now in terms of content for DiRT Rally until the console version is released? It wouldn't make sense to release any DLC to us PC users before the console version comes out would it.

Didn't that Toyota also get disqualified one year as the turbo was rigged so that you could increase power gain from inside the car as it was going along.

So is that it now in terms of content for DiRT Rally until the console version is released? It wouldn't make sense to release any DLC to us PC users before the console version comes out would it.

in Game : 39 cars
amazon.co.uk product description: "...over 40 of the most iconic and relevant cars..."

It wouldn't make sense to release any DLC to us PC users before the console version comes out would it.
Not unless they were planning on rolling that same DLC out to consoles at a later date.

That was the ST205. The offending part was a variable turbo restrictor that could be changed during service without breaking the FIA seal.

I am pretty sure Codies would have loved to get it. That they didn't probably means either the license was too difficult to obtain, or there was no actual ST185 to be found anywhere to digitize (or too expensive to borrow, or not allowed to actually turn it on to record engine sounds, or many other challenges).

There are still a couple of the rally cars they could get a hold of if they wanted to scan it, and if not, there is a ton of footage and images to use as reference material to build it from the ground up. As for recording engine audio, there's heaps of GT-Fours that have been built as rally replicas or just hotted up ones they could have recorded.

It may have something to do with the car's reputation - as successful as it was, the drivers hated it. They had all sorts of problems with the weight, overly-complicated suspension, a stiff bodyshell, and the engine generating too much torque for the gearbox to handle. In the end, Toyota had to lock the central differential at 50:50 just to stand any chance of setting the car up. It was only the bombproof reliability that made it drivable; the drivers usually put it in the scenery at some point. I still remember Carlos Sainz somersaulting seven times in Australia.

Ever since Group B, Toyota had a run of horrible cars. The Twin Cam Turbo was better-suited to Group 4 regulations and so didn't stand a chance against the likes of the Audi Quattro and Peugeot 205, the Supra 3.0i was the best plaform of a bad bunch in the Group A era, the ST165 was groundbreaking in some areas and primitive in others (namely engine cooling), the ST185 was described above, the ST205 was notorious for the cheating scandal, and the Corolla WRC was limited by its size and shape and so became redundant quickly.

Is it any wonder Toyota got Tommi Mäkkinen to oversee the Yaris WRC programme rather than TTE?

I don't know about the drivers hating it, but you're right, they had troubles with it, but only in it's first year of competition. The changes they made during that season built the foundation for the success they had with that car. The fact that they won 3 driver's titles and 2 manufacturers titles, and won rallies for 5 straight years, with the one model of car, is hugely impressive.

It's still the most successful Japanese WRC car ever (talking about individual models), and certainly deserves a spot among the rest of the legendary cars in this game.

I think it would be silly to release DLC before the console version comes out. Why not just do a few more updates from now until console release. Then offer DLC for both console and PC at the same time.

I think it would be silly to release DLC before the console version comes out. Why not just do a few more updates from now until console release. Then offer DLC for both console and PC at the same time.

I agree, unfortunately that's how a lot of games are these days. The dev will have a significant amount of content finished, but not in the game at release, then they'll release it as DLC to get more cash. FPS games are the worst for this. I'm not into them personally, but a mate of mine was telling me when he bought his last COD game, it had map packs for sale on day one. I find that ridiculous.

I won't mind paying for some DLC since I paid hardly anything for the game to begin with, but only if it's substantial.

Codemasters have taken a significant amount of criticism for that in the past. Dirt 3 had the Monte Carlo Rally, Shibuya rallycross and nearly a dozen cars provided as DLC; content which the game really should have shipped with (especially since Shibuya was shipped with Dirt 2).
Even worse with Grid Autosport. They had the gall to sell cars that were DLC in Grid 2 again as DLC in Autosport. Also tracks that were in base game of Grid 2 were resold as expansion packs. I'd like to think they have redeemed themselves with Dirt Rally though. Hopefully paid DLCs will be completely new cars/tracks, and any carryovers from previous Dirts remain a free update.

They had the gall to sell cars that were DLC in Grid 2 again as DLC in Autosport. Also tracks that were in base game of Grid 2 were resold as expansion packs.
I never played Grid 2, so it wasn't really an issue for me. And I don't think that it really contributed enough to Grid Autosport to say that the game was incomplete at the time of launch without it.

Back