Does Anyone Watch Wrestling? (WWE, AEW, TNA, NWA, etc)

• Thread starter km
  • 9,510 comments
WWE have been hot-potato with the tag titles recently, it was Rousey/Baszler at MITB then it was Rodriguez/Morgan and now its Deville/Green and all that's happened in the last few weeks...BUT it is better than having the titles just being an afterthought like they have been several times and it is a nice moment for Sonya and Chelsea, they first met during the last series of Tough Enough over 8 years ago!

Dominik Mysterio is the new NXT North American Champion, he 'beat' Wes Lee on NXT last night and the reason for the inverted commas is because of course the rest of Judgment Day helped him win, however its his first singles title.

"Dirty Dom" dun' dun' it, eh? Part of me says that Dominik Mysterio would only be his own superstar once he gets out of the shadow of his legendary father. He was still a solid talent even under Rey Mysterio, but I think breaking free and even turning heel were shots in the arm to "Dirty Dom."

Also, it's Wednesday, and you know what that means! I might check out AEW tonight to see what's been up lately with this promotion.

Main news from last night.

LA Knight did not win the fatal four way, it was Rey Mysterio who won and will face his LWO team mate Santos Escobar next week for the right to face Austin Theory for the US title, the match was good and took up the entire first part for show, I don't know about LA Knight going forward, I heard that he will be getting a push but how knows when that will be, he was massively over again last night, at least he didn't get pinned.

The 'rules of engagement' thing was just basically a contract signing with added Bloodline stuff, Roman signed the contract but Jey tore it up and said he wanted a 'tribal combat' match, which is some sort of No DQ match, but anyway it has been made for Summerslam and of course its for the title.

Triple threat match between Asuka, Bianca Belair and Charlotte for the title has also been made for SS, Charlotte beat Iyo Sky last night in a good match, Dominik defended his NA title against Butch but of course had help to win from Mami, Santos Escobar perhaps surprisingly pinned the US Champ Austin Theory, there was a lot of NXT stars on the show last night too.

Smackdown was on FS1 last night, it was because of the women's world cup coverage on Fox but it will be back on Fox next week.

Dominik Mysterio's week.

Monday: main event's Monday Night Raw.
Tuesday: wins the North American title on NXT in the main event.
Friday: defends the NA title in the main event match on Smackdown.
Saturday: main event's a live show in Monterrey, Mexico against Seth Rollins for the World title.

He will probably remember last week for the rest of his life!

Raw was mostly about Judgment Day and the chaos they caused.

Firstly Sami Zayn had a NXT NA title match against Dominik which predictably Dom retained because of interference, this time it was Priest and Rhea attacking Kevin Owens when they were thrown out from ringside. Then Rhea was supposed to have a match with Liv Morgan but Rhea blindsided Liv and attacked her before the bell rang and attacked her arm with a chair. Priest won a match with Apollo Crews before the contract signing between Rollins and Balor, it was all four members who attacked Rollins to close the show with them standing tall, Dominik and Rhea will be on NXT later with Rhea having a match against Valkaryia.

Becky Lynch v Trish Stratus and Gunther v McIntyre for the IC title have both been made for Summerslam, Becky beat Zoey Stark to earn another shot at Trish, Ricochet challenged Logan Paul to a match at SS which Paul accepted in a great segment, Summerslam is a week from Saturday and NXT Great American Bash is this Sunday from Texas.

Bad news for Kevin Owens, looks like that attack from Judgment Day is a way to write him off TV for a while as be has been dealing with a fractured rib for a little while, it is a legit injury and not storyline.

Last edited:
Rhea's attack on Liv is a write off too, as her shoulder was injured again. Don't think it's as bad as before though.

Roman Reigns and Solo attacked Jey Uso last night, it was after Jey beat Grayson Waller in the main event with Roman, Solo and Heyman watching ringside, Jey used Roman's spear to win and during the following attack Jey speared Roman but then Roman and Solo used a spear/spike combo on Jey twice.

Also it looks like Rey Mysterio picked up some sort of right shoulder injury, it was during the number one contenders match with Santos Escobar, Escobar did a suicide dive on Rey just before a break and when they came back Rey was being treated by med staff, the ref called the match off and Escobar was declared winner, from what I understand what happened was all legit and not part of the match, Escobar was meant to win but via pin-fall. But he faces Austin Theory for the US title in two weeks anyway.

Not much else to mention really, they have made a battle royal match for Summerslam, but it could be a way to get LA Knight more over, he had a quick win over Adonis of Hit Row last night, there was more interesting stuff with Street Profits and Bobby Lashley too.

If they don't capitalize with Waller calling out Rock, it'll be a complete waste. He has to be at Summerslam, but they're just keeping it under wrap.

If they don't capitalize with Waller calling out Rock, it'll be a complete waste. He has to be at Summerslam, but they're just keeping it under wrap.
I rather it be a waste. Any chance to prevent Reigns vs Rock the better. The Bloodline storyline is finally moving after being stagnant for years and thatll just stagnant it again

I rather it be a waste. Any chance to prevent Reigns vs Rock the better. The Bloodline storyline is finally moving after being stagnant for years and thatll just stagnant it again
I didn't say that Rock would interfere with the Reigns/Jey match. But if there's a segment with Waller, that would be the spot.

A couple of things.

NXT have got a show tonight (don't think they are called Takeover's anymore) Its the Great American Bash from Cedar Park in Texas, some of the matches are NXT title match between champ Carmelo Hayes and Ilja Dragunov, Dom Mysterio puts his NA title on the line in a triple threat match with Mustapha Ali and Wes Lee, Gable Steveson v Baron Corbin plus NXT women's title match between Tiffany Stratton and Thea Hall.

An update on Rey Mysterio, Melzer has reported that he was dealing with an undisclosed issue before his match with Escobar on Friday night, they were always going to have the match but then call it off, the suicide dive was just a way to do that, they could have just not had the match altogether but it was advertised and Escobar was going to win via pin-fall anyway, hope Rey is okay.

Dominik retained the North American title at NXT GAB, but only after Rhea Ripley put Wes Lee through the announce table with the riptide, backstage after Shawn Michaels tried to shake Dom's hand but they both blanked him, Shawn said 'your dad should have spanked your a**' :lol:

Tiffany Stratton and Carmelo Hayes retained their titles but we have new NXT tag champs in Tony D & Stacks. The fans turned on Gable Steveson during his his match with Corbin by cheering Corbin and booing Steveson and chanting 'your not Kurt Angle' at him.

Summerslam is this Saturday and tonight's Raw is the go home show for it.

Dominik retained the North American title at NXT GAB, but only after Rhea Ripley put Wes Lee through the announce table with the riptide, backstage after Shawn Michaels tried to shake Dom's hand but they both blanked him, Shawn said 'your dad should have spanked your a**' :lol:

Tiffany Stratton and Carmelo Hayes retained their titles but we have new NXT tag champs in Tony D & Stacks. The fans turned on Gable Steveson during his his match with Corbin by cheering Corbin and booing Steveson and chanting 'your not Kurt Angle' at him.

Summerslam is this Saturday and tonight's Raw is the go home show for it.
I never liked the amateur wrestler tropes on everyone who has amateur wrestling background because it does make them comparable to Kurt Angle (especially using the Ankle lock as a finisher)

But why is it Gable Stevenson specifically when WWE has done this trope before with Jack Swagger, American Alpha and the Creed Brothers?

So one controversy from Raw last night, Becky Lynch v Trish Stratus won't take place at Summerslam, it'll be on August 14th Raw in Winnipeg, there was plans to have the match this Saturday but they added the battle royal which is sponsored by Slim Jim and that obviously makes WWE a bit of money, there are eight matches for the show as well so its stacked, news hasn't gone down well as you can imagine.

Seth Rollins and Sami Zayn beat Mysterio and Priest of Judgment Day in a fun but chaotic main event, they aired some great video packages for Rousey v Baszler which is now MMA rules, Lesnar beat up Cody Rhodes again and it looks like their match won't have a stipulation, Maxxine Dupri beat Valhalla in her first singles match, there were a couple of good matches between Gable and Gunther & Nakamura and Ciampa, Logan Paul referenced the fact that ring announcer Sam Irvine is Ricochet's fiance before they got into a fight and Paul hit Ricochet with his knockout punch.

Oh God Penguin GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Smackdown tonight then, Jey Uso will be there but I don't think Roman is advertised, LA Knight v Sheamus or Larry Alfonso Knight as Sheamus called him on his socials today, apparently that's his full name!

I'll post the Summerslam card tomorrow but it might be fairly late in the afternoon because of work, and I can't watch the show live either for the same reason...

Here is the Summerslam card for tonight.

Ricochet v Logan Paul

Summerslam Battle Royale.
Sheamus, LA Knight, Shinsuke Nakamura, AJ Styles, Tommaso Ciampa, Grayson Waller, The Miz, Chad Gable, Matt Riddle, Santos Escobar, plus a few more!

MMA Rules Match.
Ronda Rousey v Shayna Baszler

Intercontinental Championship.
Gunther (c) v Drew McIntyre

WWE Women's Championship-Triple Threat Match.
Asuka (c) v Bianca Belair v Charlotte Flair

Cody Rhodes v Brock Lesnar

World Heavyweight Championship.
Seth 'Freakin' Rollins (c) v Finn Balor

Undisputed WWE Universal Championship-Tribal Combat Match.
Roman Reigns (c) v Jey Uso

Ricochet/Logan Paul match will likely open the show as Paul wants to be at his brothers fight against Nate Diaz which is also tonight.

One other interesting bit of news is that Randy Orton is in Detroit, he isn't medically cleared however.

Last edited:
I swear the same people who are going to praise how the main event ended are going to be the same people who hated the Brie Bella vs. Nikki Bella storyline back in 2014

I saw a little of AEW Collision on Saturday night. I saw most of the main event with C.M. Punk trying to defend his Real World Championship. It was a heck of a match.

Okay then. The show was a bit of a mixed bag for me with some good and not so good things!

Starting with the good things and Cody v Brock, one of the matches of the night for me as it was by far the best match of their trilogy and told a story, Cody was basically getting murdered with too many suplexes to count but he wouldn't give up and he eventually won with two Cody cutters including one from the top rope and three Crossroads, Brock actually shook Cody's hand after and raised his arm which as it turned out was unplanned, it was a nice move from Brock.

Paul v Ricochet was a solid opener, there wasn't really one big spot that would go viral but lots of little great moves from both as they kept on hitting counter after counter, finish was a bit iffy with some random guy giving Logan some brass knucks which he used to win but it was still a win that Logan needed and I'm glad that WWE have seen sense and turned him heel as he is so good being one. As mentioned the match was on first so Logan could fly out to join Jake for his fight with Nate Diaz, Logan was still wearing his ring gear too!

LA Knight was a predictable winner for the battle royale and I loved the crowd reaction, it was like he had just de-throwned Roman! The MMA Rules match was pretty interesting, it only went eight minutes before Shayna made Ronda pass out to the clutch, the crowd never got into it but I didn't mind it as it was something a bit different and I wouldn't mind if they had that type of match again, hopefully it will lead to a push for Shayna and I've heard that might be it for Ronda in WWE as she is off to do other things. Gunther v Drew was great as they basically killed each other for about 15 minutes! Gunther is definitely going to break that Honky Tonk record now with only a month left.

Asuka, Bianca Belair and Charlotte had a match for the women's title but neither left as champion, it was a good match with Belair winning briefly until Iyo Sky cashed in her MITB to become new champion, it was a great moment and it was nice to see all three Damage CTRL members back celebrating. I had hoped that Finn Balor would beat Rollins for the title but I didn't really mind Seth retaining, the shenanigans and distractions from Judgment Day gives them a new story and dynamic but I don't really know where Seth goes from here.

And then there was the main event, and I'm on the fence. I didn't like the finish and I'm not the only one as fans are pretty furious, it does undo a lot of the good work and story done by the Bloodline in the past few months and it definitely looks like that Roman will be champion until Wrestlemania next year, however there is something about it that has me interested. Jimmy v Jey does sound good for now if Roman wants to take a break (which it looks like he will be doing) I'm not happy but I'm willing to give it a chance to see where it goes.

Jey did say that he wants to wrestle Jimmy for Mania, this might be the start of that.

Last edited:
Before SummerSlam WWE announced a change up in their commentary teams, Michael Cole and Wade Barrett will move over to Raw. Kevin Patrick and Cory Graves will move to Smackdown but Cole will also remain on Smackdown, the changes start on Raw tonight.

Before SummerSlam WWE announced a change up in their commentary teams, Michael Cole and Wade Barrett will move over to Raw. Kevin Patrick and Cory Graves will move to Smackdown but Cole will also remain on Smackdown, the changes start on Raw tonight.
Interesting though because I thought FOX wanted a 2 man commentaty team, did they change their mind?

Back