Elon's Antics

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 1,362 comments
And imagine deciding that you want to throw that recognition away for a name rebranding that preteens would struggle to think is cool. Is that the entirety of his thought process all along? Is his entire, increasingly-manchild thought process all based around allegedly funny things he read on Cracked or I-Mockery 15 years ago?
That is so Meta.

Removing the bird bothers me but it's no surprise the empathetically void Musk would strip any and all warmth and friendliness out of whatever he can. Cold & clinical with a touch of cringe has been the character of every business venture Musk has so far undertaken. Totally reasonable for a rocket company or a tunnel-boring venture, somewhat less so for a consumer automotive brand, and definitely the wrong move for a platform that is meant to appeal to literally everyone on the planet. There's a reason that the original X was renamed to Paypal, and it had nothing to do with Musk. Musk is pathologically incapable of understanding perspective.

X is the future state of unlimited interactivity – centered in audio, video, messaging, payments/banking – creating a global marketplace for ideas, goods, services, and opportunities. Powered by AI, X will connect us all in ways we’re just beginning to imagine.

This is a minor thing, but I ****ing hate it when an executive claims their product has some 'unlimited' feature. Can I interact with anyone I want anytime I want however I want? If the answer to that is no, then it's not unlimited interactivity.

Last edited:
They sure as hell did.

IMG_20230724_204121.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine owning something that's so ubiquitous, so well known, that derivative words are universally recognized. When you Tweet something, everyone knows what that means. A small handful of companies in the history of technology have become so engrained in culture that their product name is used as a verb. An image is photoshopped, to Google something, to Tweet something.

And imagine deciding that you want to throw that recognition away for a name rebranding that preteens would struggle to think is cool. Is that the entirety of his thought process all along? Is his entire, increasingly-manchild thought process all based around allegedly funny things he read on Cracked or I-Mockery 15 years ago?
I saw a Musketeer elsewhere on the web try to defend this and act like it wasn't a big deal. And your post immediately sprung to mind as the end-all counter argument to that, that no company would willingly give up something so universally recognizable.

Unless you're the world's dumbest billionaire.

People complaining about this are hilarious.
The name is stupid but so is the app , even before the EV welfare mooch scam man bought it .

People complaining about this are hilarious.
The name is stupid but so is the app , even before the EV welfare mooch scam man bought it .
The name isn't anymore stupid than 'Twitter', and Musk was pushing for X.com to be a thing before Twitter ever existed, so despite being the a totally half assed rebranding exercise that's probably flushing more brand equity down the toilet than it will make... it's perhaps not as frivolous as it sounds.

Assuming you're not using it to just go down a click-hole of hate and misinformation, the biggest problem with Twitter as a user experience is the proportion of screen space given to advertising. Like a lot of social media, what you get out of it, is kind of what you put into it... I wouldn't pay Space Karen $8 for it, but I also don't think it should be undersold as a means of communication that just didn't exist 30 years ago.

He’s doing it on purpose right? Deliberately doing the dumbest 🤬 possible to tank share prices and somehow make money out of the stock market?

Wait. No? He’s just killing one of the most recognisable brands in the world, that he paid a fortune for, because he likes the letter X. Much genius. Very wow.

Musk is about to discover just how frustrating it is to be dead-named all the time instead of people accepting your new identity.

He’s doing it on purpose right? Deliberately doing the dumbest 🤬 possible to tank share prices and somehow make money out of the stock market?

Wait. No? He’s just killing one of the most recognisable brands in the world, that he paid a fortune in mostly other peoples' money for, because he likes the letter X. he's butthurt that people were making fun of him on there and this is his petty rich boy revenge for it. Much genius. Very wow.
Something more like that, I'm reckoning. Buying a popular company that's been annoying you specifically to wipe your backside with it in public is a favorite pastime of childish multi-millionaires (see Vince McMahon and WCW for another fine example of this). And really, I can't see any other logical reason for what he's been doing with the ex-bird since grabbing control of it.

Something more like that, I'm reckoning. Buying a popular company that's been annoying you specifically to wipe your backside with it in public is a favorite pastime of childish multi-millionaires (see Vince McMahon and WCW for another fine example of this). And really, I can't see any other logical reason for what he's been doing with the ex-bird since grabbing control of it.
Main reason is what you said. Secondary reason is to create his X.com paradise (which will fail).

Buying a popular company that's been annoying you specifically to wipe your backside with it in public is a favorite pastime of childish multi-millionaires (see Vince McMahon and WCW for another fine example of this).
If that's the reason, then it is just attempting to stifle speech. I mean I know that's pretty captain obvious given the direct speech-stifling maneuvers he's been pulling, but it suggests that the entire operation to run twitter into the ground is that he's just not a fan of people finding a place to talk to each other because sometimes that talk is bad for him. If he finds this thread, I suppose GTPlanet is likely to be bought and run into the ground as well assuming @Jordan is willing to put a price on it.

I've gone on and on about how it's twitter (or GTPlanet's) prerogative what speech they're willing to host. And so it is Elon's prerogative to buy twitter and run it into the ground. It's still fair to recognize that there is a social cost to this. As fun as the dumpster fire of Elon burning his (or other people's) money and making a fool of himself publicly is, there is a real global social loss to be recognized. It does make me wish that twitter's board had believed in their own vision of the company and refused to sell rather than making a quick buck and relegating twitter to the dumpster fire we all knew was coming.

Back