Elon's Antics

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 1,359 comments
Have you registered "TB" yet or did something else beat you to it?
Terry Stinkin' Bradshaw beat me.

sad guru studio GIF by True and the Rainbow Kingdom

Last edited:
So an account got appropriately banned for posting child exploitation pics and King Ding Dong Elon decided, "Yo, if we just delete the pics and reinstate the account, then the account will be good, right"?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

I tried to deactivate my social-media-site-formerly-known-as-Twitter account and kept getting “Oops. Something went wrong. Please try again later.” I can’t even delete my account. So I’m deleting the app instead.

EDIT: I was finally able to delete it from a web browser instead of in the app.

Last edited:
Because the city didn't allow him to take down the old Twitter sign, he has put up a new X sign on the roof of the building. And it flashes erratically

1690657032869.png

The sign isn't even anchored to anything solid, but rather held up with sandbags

EDIT:

POV you live across the street from the Twitter building

1690657783664.png

Last edited:
Because the city didn't allow him to take down the old Twitter sign, he has put up a new X sign on the roof of the building. And it flashes erratically

View attachment 1276056

The sign isn't even anchored to anything solid, but rather held up with sandbags

EDIT:

POV you live across the street from the Twitter building

View attachment 1276058

There's no ****ing way this sign meets Title 24.

Last edited:
City officials tried to inspect the building but were denied entry twice

So at what point does the city demand the building be evacuated due to unsafe materials on the roof OR will the city hold Musk responsible if the sign falls off the roof and injuries (or kills) someone?

I don't update my apps until I want to and my Twitter app, which is several months out-of-date, has has its logo replaced by the X.

Twitter gets special treatment from Apple by allowing them to have the "X" name on the App Store. Apple requires all other apps to have at least two characters for the past 10 years

This is in stark contrast to the latest version of Twitter's iOS app, which unfortunately couldn't be renamed to 'X' on the App Store—and it's got to to with the minimum number of characters an iOS app name must have.

"On iOS, the situation is distinct as Apple does not permit any app to have a single character as their app name," data scientist and Next founder, Nick Sheriff pointed out.

"Twitter was able to change the logo of their iOS app but not the name, since Apple requires app names to be at least 2 characters," mocked San Francisco-based Erik Berlin.

While iOS app names "can be up to 30 characters long," they must be at least 2 characters in length, failing which the app name will be rejected by Apple:

Two days ago, Bleeping Computer reported that Apple had rejected Twitter's attempt to update its app name to simply X due to minimum character requirements. As a result, the app was temporarily listed in its App Store as Twitter—alongside the X logo and the X tagline "Blaze your glory." This potentially further confused users over what to call the app during Elon Musk's sloppy rollout of Twitter's new branding.

It stayed that way for days until about 2:30 this morning, when Apple updated the listing in its mobile App Store, Bleeping Computer reported—allowing the App Store's first single-character name. A product designer and data scientist who founded a growth consulting agency called Next, Nick Sheriff, posted a screenshot confirming that historically the App Store only accepted app names with a minimum of two characters.

Apple could not immediately be reached for comment on whether the exception was made exclusively for X or if a policy change might be coming that could benefit other apps with single-character names. On the desktop App Store, Twitter's old branding still appears as of this writing.

Sheriff told Ars that thousands of apps could be impacted by an update to the App Store policy, which he warned could "lead to a fragmentation of the App Store in unprecedented ways, unlike anything we've witnessed in over a decade."

In his X post, Sheriff pointed out that "many brands outside the US, particularly in Asia," consist of "just one character" and "don't receive such special treatment." He said it's possible that Apple had to make technical changes to allow the Twitter rebrand to go through, and those changes could have both positive and negative impacts on the App Store.

"The question then was why Apple would do something for Twitter, but not for others in the past 10 years," Sheriff wrote.

I'd like lots of other apps to spring up and request an exemption from the one letter rule. Just to prove a point.

Back