Explosions at Brussels' Zaventem airport and Maelbeek metro station

• Thread starter Ken
  • 267 comments
Ysreal Katz, an Israeli politician said that the Belgians have stop eating chocolate and concentrate on destroying terrorisme.

In the 1940's England stood alone during the Battle of Britain, this was our finest hour against Nazi Germany.With the help of our Allies ofcourse.The fighter and bomber pilots etc were from Canada, USA and Poland etc.I don't know much about the history of The Battle of Britain ( i may be wrong here ) but i am sure more people helped the English at that time.So we fought off the Nazi's during WW2 so a bunch of brainwashed morons can't be as hard can it.

In the 1940's England stood alone during the Battle of Britain, this was our finest hour against Nazi Germany.With the help of our Allies ofcourse.The fighter and bomber pilots etc were from Canada, USA and Poland etc.I don't know much about the history of The Battle of Britain ( i may be wrong here ) but i am sure more people helped the English at that time.So we fought off the Nazi's during WW2 so a bunch of brainwashed morons can't be as hard can it.
Totally and utterly different type of conflict and warfare.

However it is worth noting that part of what ISIS actually want is to provoke an invasion by its enemies into what it considers its calliphate, as it forms part of the 'end times' mythology that they believe (that a grand battle will see them vanquish the enemy and lead them to rule the world).

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/12/6/9859696/obama-isis-ground-war
http://www.vox.com/2015/8/21/9183419/isis-iraq-apocalypse

No.

If that was the case, the UK would have been attacked many times in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_colonial_empire

I find it strange that you make a connection with "Belgian Congo" and the ISIS attacks. Strange.

Where were you when I needed you one hour ago? :D
I hate to be pedantic on a topic like this, but surely physical force Irish republicanism (IRA/INLA etc.) would count?

Totally and utterly different type of conflict and warfare.

However it is worth noting that part of what ISIS actually want is to provoke an invasion by its enemies into what it considers its calliphate, as it forms part of the 'end times' mythology that they believe (that a grand battle will see them vanquish the enemy and lead them to rule the world).

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/12/6/9859696/obama-isis-ground-war
http://www.vox.com/2015/8/21/9183419/isis-iraq-apocalypse
Or that is basically an excuse for their mafia behavior.

If they are "religious" enough, they wouldnt steal banks (from war torn countries), crop weed, smuggling women, and among other things.

These bombs are just proofing for candidate ISIS members that they are worthy to get a membership. Middle east (including Turkey) countries has experienced terror like this almost constant. Europe are for their massive publicity.

The second bomb in Brussels airport was detonated by Najim Laachraoui.

I don't buy that it is over religion either.
No it isn't. According to Brice De Ruyver, a criminologist, there is a link between crime and radicalisation. Terrorists are not always religiously motivated.

Because they know how to threat criminal immigrants. You kick them back to where they came from!
But Turkey has the advantage of not being a predominantly white country, and thus there's no "controversy" involved when they do that.

The second bomb in Brussels airport was detonated by Najim Laachraoui.

No it isn't. According to Brice De Ruyver, a criminologist, there is a link between crime and radicalisation. Terrorists are not always religiously motivated.

Do you have a link to where he discusses what radicalism is exactly? I have a genuine interest 👍

I mean, I'm a pretty radical guy, but I don't go around bombing people. Maybe it really is simply wanting to fit in with the coolest kids on the block.

Last edited:
The chairman of the U.S. House Intelligence Committee says it appears to him that the attacks Tuesday in Belgium were targeting Americans.

Republican Rep. Devin Nunes of California told reporters Wednesday after briefings with U.S. intelligence officials that one blast at the Brussels airport was close to counters for United Airlines, American Airlines and Delta Airlines — all U.S. carriers. Coupled with another blast on the subway close to the U.S. embassy, Nunes said it looks like an attack on Americans.

He says "if you are going to pick some locations (in Brussels) where you might hit Americans, those would be the locations."

No other officials have suggested that the attack was targeting Americans. The subway blast was also close to the European Union headquarters in Brussels.

From the 7pm update: http://bigstory.ap.org/36a82771dc974fa58447bf795ccc1211

A friend of mine clued me into this but couldn't find it on her phone. I lost a bet with her because it turns out she's right. I'm still incredulous even after reading it a couple of times.
The authorities in Belgium said on Wednesday that one of the Paris attackers may have been holed up in a house in Brussels two nights after 130 people were killed and hundreds more injured — but that he could have escaped because of a law banning police raids on private homes from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., according to the country’s justice minister.
Eric Van der Sijpt, the spokesman for the federal prosecutor in Brussels, who is leading the investigation, said Mr. Abdeslam would have been caught if he were in the house, but acknowledged in a telephone interview that “the immediate surroundings and the streets surrounding the property were not sealed off during the night.” “All we know is that we had good reasons to believe that Salah Abdeslam was in the house that night, and that the next morning the raid was negative,” Mr. Van der Sijpt said.
Source

According Koen Geens, belgian minister of Justice, Ibrahim El Bakraoui was sent from Turkey to the Netherlands. Could Erdogan have mixed up Belgium and Benelux?:confused:

He's probably wrong because there were 40 different nationalities amongst the victims. Saying that Americans were targeted, is, mmmm, probably not correct (to say it nicely).
Do you have a link to where he discusses what radicalism is exactly? I have a genuine interest 👍

I mean, I'm a pretty radical guy, but I don't go around bombing people. Maybe it really is simply wanting to fit in with the coolest kids on the block.
I could give you a link but it is in Dutch.

Last edited:
I'll give that a whirl, thanks.

@Johnnypenso I guess he was free until he wasn't. I think we need to start addressing the cause rather than the effect.

Oh and the attack? I believe it was aimed at the west just in general.

He's probably wrong because there were 40 different nationalities amongst the victims. Saying that Americans were targeting, is, mmmm, probably not correct (to say it nicely).
No doubt. To generalize that it targeted Americans due to being in the area where American based carriers are located is blind ignorance. Then again, there's been less evidence towards something used to spark a war in retaliation.

He's probably wrong because there were 40 different nationalities amongst the victims. Saying that Americans were targeted, is, mmmm, probably not correct (to say it nicely).

It's probably a misunderstanding based on the early report that the first explosion happened at the American Airlines check-in desk, this later turned out to be incorrect.

American Airlines
American Airlines extends its deepest sympathies and condolences to those affected by the tragic events in Brussels earlier today. American is taking care of employees and customers at Brussels Airport. At this time, all of our airport employees and crew members are safe and accounted for with no reported injuries. American Airlines check-in operates at Row 8 of the departure hall, and the explosions did not occur at Row 8.

"Focus moet veranderen" Strafpleiter Kris Luyckx, die veel Syriëgangers heeft bijgestaan, vindt dat veiligheidsdiensten zich beter kunnen richten op jongeren in het criminele circuit. "Veel daders van terreur hebben eerder een crimineel verleden dan een religieus verleden."

Het merendeel van de cliënten van Luyckx zijn in eerdere jaren veroordeeld voor strafbare feiten. "Het netwerk begrijpen van jihadisten betekent dat men eerst het criminele netwerk begrijpt. "

Kleine stap naar terrorisme De broers El Bakraoui waren vooral bekend als zware criminelen. Volgens criminoloog Brice De Ruyver (Universiteit Gent) is de link tussen het radicalisme en het zwaar banditisme nieuw in België.

"Je ziet dat veel geradicaliseerden hier in Brussel kleine criminelen zijn die af en toe hun graantje meepikken in de illegale circuits, denk aan drugs- en wapenhandel. Maar de broers Ibrahim en Khalid El Bakraoui, twee van de daders gisteren, hebben een heel zwaar crimineel verleden, waarbij regelmatig geweld bij kwam kijken."

"De stap van de criminaliteit naar het terrorisme is eigenlijk niet moeilijk. Criminelen doen in zware middens een heleboel 'vaardigheden' op die bruikbaar zijn als terrorist. Als ze dan in een uitzichtloze situatie zitten, gaan ze gemakkelijk de stap zetten en zijn ze in staat om zichzelf op te blazen."
These are the links in Dutch. Let me know if you understand it. :D

It's probably a misunderstanding based on the early report that the first explosion happened at the American Airlines check-in desk, this later turned out to be incorrect.
These were actually the two first lines in the Check-in.

The first Belgian Guy Vanhegel to admit that they made a serious mistake by releasing Ibrahim El Bakraoui from prison. I'm sure that this is not the only mistake they (all people involved in fighting terrorisme) made.

As if we and the rest of the world didn't know that.

Link also in Dutch.

The first Belgian Guy Vanhegel to admit that they made a serious mistake by releasing Ibrahim El Bakraoui from prison. I'm sure that this is not the only mistake they (all people involved in fighting terrorisme) made.

As if we and the rest of the world didn't know that.

Link also in Dutch.

The bigger mistake (hence the "We Have Failed" headline) is, he says, failing to prevent radicalisation amongst the young. Marginalising young people of any belief structure almost guarantees a rise in radicalisation.

I got a proper interpretation Kikie, and I concur.

If you're implying that my translation was incorrect then I'd disagree. Re-read the final paragraph and we can compare later.

Who is marginalizing anyone really though 10 8 1?

The kind of people who think that the way forward is to build walls and segregate communities. It's not a surprise that (by definition) the majority in any community aren't extreme. It makes sense that they don't want their children roped into death-by-phony-war. I know we've been down this rabbit hole with you before but places of community, education and worship are integral to many young people's lives and the paths they choose to take. As long as there are idiots continuing to perpetuate the caricature of young muslims, for example, those idiots create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Have we been down that hole? :lol:

If you look a bit back in the thread I bet you'd find that we agree.

And no no, I did not even look at your translation per say, I have some very nice dutch friends, so I simply waited for them to help me. That is all.

Talking about records...

There's an old article of Washington Post, about the attack on Domodedovo Airport of Moscow in January 2011.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/27/AR2011012706736.html

This quote:

Ironic, don't you think?

When trying to imagine how Brussels is doing right now, I remember that time in Moscow. Almost six years ago, two explosions in Moscow subway in March 2010. Scary times...

Yeah surely, since it's the first step to prevent this kind of atrocious bombings / terrorism attacks actually taking place in that scene - basically, as you may understand clearly. I know there were several terrorist attacks in your country and I think they picked on the slackness of the security which makes it easier for the terrorists to carry out their attacks at will(especially the Moscow subway bombing in 2010).

Referring to this Brussels bombing incident at Zaventem airport, I somehow suppose the security wasn't enough to bar the suicide bombings taking into consideration that two of the suspects(suicide bombers) carried their bombs by their sleeves as they enter the lobby and afterwards detonated them there to kill other civilians, in spite of the security guards saying they were doing their best to watch for those that are way too "suspicious" for letting pass the check gate right away.

I don't buy that it is over religion either.

If I have understood the incidents correctly, there was Arabic shouted before the bombs detonated. Is there any idea on what was shouted?

What they might of said is of little consequence to me. Killing in the name of....

Here, language warning as well but it's worth it.

Last edited:
Back