F1 Games - General Discussion

Oh, I don't think they're wrong about 2020 being the best at all, it's the one where you can just load it up and drive fast straight away, just through the simplicity and balance of a well tuned handling model. 2017 was similar on that.

2021 had some bad bugs that took ages to fix do I get that's not too popular even if it's perfectly good now. I don't even think 22 is bad, there's just something unengaging about the handling. 23 and 24 both get a thumbs up from me, but if I posted that on Reddit I'd be on like -16 in five minutes flat.
-160 more like.

We're pretty much on the same wave length in regards recent years F1 games, 2020, 2017 were stellar, 2023 was good, it just lacked any real development in the career modes which hurt it for me and 2024 so far matches 2020 and 2017.

My list of CM F1 games would look like this:

1. 2020
2. 2017
3. 2024*
4. 2013
5. 2023
6. 2018
7. 2012
8. 2022
9. 2019
10. 2010
11. 2021
12. 2016
13. 2011
14. 2015
15. 2014

*2024 could certainly displace 2017.

F1 games all time:

1. F1 2020
2. F1 Championship Edition (PS3)
3. Grand Prix 4
4. F1 '05
5. Grand Prix 3
6. F1 Challenge 99-02 (PC)
7. F1 '97
8. F1 Career Challenge (Xbox)
9. Grand Prix Challenge (PS2)
10. F1 2017

Last edited:
Yep, basically exactly same page with some very minor alterations like I'd probably knock 2018 down slightly and preferred 2012 to 2013, in terms of handling. 2012 was one where I felt all the cars handled slightly differently - the Sauber/Ferrari both had a really strong front end and you could really commit in low speed corners, the Lotus was more understeery but carried a lot of speed through faster corners, etc.

In terms of the older games I'd add F1 World Grand Prix 2 on the Dreamcast which I still have somewhere in a cupboard, loved that one. And, embarrassingly, I've never played any of the Geoff Crammond games because I've never been a PC gamer. F1 2003 was my favourite PS2 era game, I actually used to watch the whole one-shot qualifying sessions unfold and feel the excitement as the AI car came to the line to see if they'd beaten my time.

Yep, basically exactly same page with some very minor alterations like I'd probably knock 2018 down slightly and preferred 2012 to 2013, in terms of handling. 2012 was one where I felt all the cars handled slightly differently - the Sauber/Ferrari both had a really strong front end and you could really commit in low speed corners, the Lotus was more understeery but carried a lot of speed through faster corners, etc.

In terms of the older games I'd add F1 World Grand Prix 2 on the Dreamcast which I still have somewhere in a cupboard, loved that one. And, embarrassingly, I've never played any of the Geoff Crammond games because I've never been a PC gamer. F1 2003 was my favourite PS2 era game, I actually used to watch the whole one-shot qualifying sessions unfold and feel the excitement as the AI car came to the line to see if they'd beaten my time.
Yeah 2012 was good for that, 2013 got the nod over it for me just for the classic mode, 4 classic tracks and a healthy selection of 80s and 90s cars, classic scenarios etc. I don't think I played F1WGP2 on Dreamcast, definitely played the N64 one and the 1999 PC one.

I did exactly the same as you on F1 2003, that was a good fun game actually, was such a big step up from Sony's 2002 effort.

edit: might chuck my list into the Reddit and see what happens.

Last edited:
Hard for me to come up with a list because working on the games changes how you feel about them (I didn’t like 22 because it was miserable to work on, too stressful at the time), but of the recent titles 2020 and 2023 both felt quite good.

Historically I was big on 2010, and go back further the GOAT is 97.

24 is my job right now, so I’m not really up for playing it in my spare time (plus I’m already actively playing Forza Motorsport, EA SPORTS WRC and LEGO 2K Drive), need that disconnect.
Maybe in a few months once things calm down.

Last edited:
I actually prefer the original 1995 season game to F1'97. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I love that original game so much. Graphically its pretty much the same, a bit rougher around the edges but I love that gritty appearance. It's also genuinely challenging still, the grids are pretty much accurate to the real season where stand ins appear at the right moments in the season, the cars all handle differently and its actually still quite a good driving challenge and feels great pushing a crap car beyond its level to snatch 20th on the grid. I absolutely love it, and played a season (with Simtek) very recently on my CRT TV up in the attic room. That's true happiness in my book! My wife doesn't agree.

I actually prefer the original 1995 season game to F1'97. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I love that original game so much. Graphically its pretty much the same, a bit rougher around the edges but I love that gritty appearance. It's also genuinely challenging still, the grids are pretty much accurate to the real season where stand ins appear at the right moments in the season, the cars all handle differently and its actually still quite a good driving challenge and feels great pushing a crap car beyond its level to snatch 20th on the grid. I absolutely love it, and played a season (with Simtek) very recently on my CRT TV up in the attic room. That's true happiness in my book! My wife doesn't agree.
Yeah a lot of love for the o.g. I just started playing it after I'd got into F1 '97 so I think I just didn't gel with it because of that. Is an absolute classic though, the golden colour Jordan was my favorite.

Did the update happen? It didn't show an update pending on my Steam page. I didn't do a race but I ran Silverstone in hotlap and it didn't feel any different than the other day.

More underseer and less traction out of corners. Im wheelspinning in FOURTH GEAR.

I am just so disappointed. This is a step backwards. I don't want to play this game anymore right now
Once again the majority suffer for the minority. It's still marginally better than '23 but yeah, it's sad really.

And to elaborate, I don't think it's been ruined as such, but some of the traits that made it interesting on controller have been dialled back massively, they have headed back towards F1 23, which wasn't offensive but 24 having more corner exit grip (like the real cars) and a more confident front end (like the real cars) was a really good change and both have been sacrificed.

Last edited:
How do you toggle between equal car performance and realistic car performance in single player? I can't remember what the default is. When I go to set up a race, it says "equal" with the little settings symbol below it but I don't know if you're on realistic and you do something to get equal or if that means you're on equal and you need to do something to get realistic.

So I've been thinking about this and I think the issue and reason the feedback is so varied is that the people saying "the car is too grippy/the game is too easy" are playing time trial/online races with equal performance, and the people saying the driving is worse are playing career modes, because the career mode car has always driven worse than the time trial car (until its upgraded to a certain point). The career mode experience is significantly worse since the patch for me

More underseer and less traction out of corners. Im wheelspinning in FOURTH GEAR.

I am just so disappointed. This is a step backwards. I don't want to play this game anymore right now
Real F1 cars definitely break traction in 4th gear...

Last edited:
I thought with a title like that it was someone launching it off the sausage kerb at Stowe like Roy Nissany :lol:

I ran Suzuka a couple of nights ago and on the straight before 130R and also the main straight, it felt like I was running over a rough gravel road. It was really rattling my wheel. My Fanatec Formula V2 rim makes a metal to metal clanking sound sometimes on sudden bumps. I think it's the shifter plates rattling. But every time on those two areas it was clanking away. Anyone else experience a rough ride at Suzuka?

F1 24 Champions edition is currently 40% off on steam. The standard edition is only 10% off though.

It still doesn’t seem worth the price. Things must not be going well for them.

Back