Fanatec 911 wheel (without S) don't work GT5? UPDATE with solution

• Thread starter Smoothherb
  • 132 comments
Regrettable for the first PWT buyers... (you could send it the dongle for free, at least).

Will you be able to finish something good sometimes?.

They have finished a lots of things good. I have never seen better relation between company and customer, even though they response is slow.

I'm one of the PWT owner for about a year and half and i have to say it sucks to have a recent wheel not supporting new ps3 games. But i guess Fanatec learned from their design flaw and all their new wheels can be firmware upgraded. I will probably replace my PWT with GT3 RS v2 with clubman H shifter when it's available. Just wish there's a trade in program :D

Does this mean that you are currently successfully playing GT5 full game with a turbo wheel without the S? Cause I'm not sure if I have to order one or wait a couple days for some kind of fix. Thanks.

I would be speechless if there wasn't a solution... Wheel cost more than a PS3... and for it not to work for the best game EVER would be such a pain in my chest... Thanks all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I play gt5 with the turbo (without S) When you have the Turbo (without S) it seems that you have to buy the new dongle. The support said, that there is no way to update the dongle! Only PD could do something and I would bet, that they have better things to do.

Regrettable for the first PWT buyers... (you could send it the dongle for free, at least).

Will you be able to finish something good sometimes?.

As a PWT Owner, yes it would be nice if we got them for free. But as Thomas has said, it's not a problem with the controller as such, but a problem with the game, as GT5P used to work before an update, so it's pd or sony doing something that is not allowing compatibility.

Thank God I stumbled upon this thread. I was UPSET that this wheel was not working when I got the game and was not about to spend $200+ on a new one in order to play it. So relieved that it will work with the new dongle. Placed my order already.

Last edited:
by the way people who say it's impossible to update the dongle are lying because I've done it, remember when you first played gt5 prologue and clutch and h-pattern gear box wasn't working. You had to go update the dongle online very carefully and then voila, it worked. That's what I call an update so why cant we simply update this again? sounds like a conspiracy to me.. and yes i have same wheel as all of you the turbo without ( S )

my problem is i lost the usb key that wasn't the dongle that came with the wheel it had the drivers on it needed to install firmware properly on the dongle... What we all need to know is has anybody heard of PWT owners updating their dongles with firmware updates for PWTS owners...

James, the PWT and PWTS firmwares are 2 different things, I looked into it quite a bit when i first got my PWT. PWTS firmwares update the wheel itself, to add compatibility and functionnality. PWT firmwares only update the dongle, and it has its limitation. The wheel itself cannot be updated, i think that was the downfall of the model and that's why Fanatec updated the model to PWTS and GTR. I wished I have a wheel that can be updated too, but I'm just glad the new dongle works...patiently waiting for my order.

So I ordered the new dongle for my PWT and got it this afternoon. My problem is that I cannot get my PWT to sync with the new dongle. I've been looking and searching for the lasst couple hours and came up with zilch. Can anyone direct me or give me a heads up. I'd really appreciate it. :)

Thanks in advance.

I have a fanatec gt3rs v2 with cs pedals and they don't work with f1 2010 and now shocker they don't work with GT5 either!

So glad I sold my g27 that worked with everything!

Hey atleast the gt3rs works on iracing for pc or I would have nothing to race.

I'm having the same issue mentioned, I can use wheel to select menu items but as soon as I'm racing in GT5 nothing works.

Hold the button on the base and press select. Been there done that. It won't sync on pc or ps3. As a matter of fact if I put it in ps3 mode it will stay that way until I plugin the old dongle. I like chicken wings. ;)

@Lostracer
Unless you don't have a multiple personality and you are "known" and "lostracer" in one person and at the same time own a PWGT3RS V2 and a PWT at the same time (depending on what personality you currently are) does it look like you are talking about a different problem on a different product.

With you I would bet that you do not know that you need to bind the RF Dongle to the wheel as it is described in the manual.

@Fanatec
I'm not known on here. I just signed up a few days ago. I only own a PWT and purchased it second hand a couple weeks ago. Ill look up binding in the manual. Thank you for the assistance. I really enloy this wheel and would love to get it working correctly. :)

Thank you again.
Edit: Well I finally got it working. It seems I was looking for all of the wrong terms in trying to (couple) my units. Thank you for the binding term Fanatec.I didn't think to try that for whatever reason. :)
For anyone else who doesn't feel the need to noob all over themselves like I did, the procedure is on page 27 in the manual(PDF version anyway). Thanks again. Time to race.

Last edited:
This is outrageous, I would have thought that as a racing game this would support all common wheels but apparently I was wrong. How could you leave us behind Fanatec & PD?
Is there any chance there will be an update in the future to support the PWT with the standard dongle, because to put it frankly, 47 euros is a ridiculous amount of money for a dongle.

I think it was a PS3 update that disable PWT in the first place, as much as I want my PWT wheel to work. I don't think we can put blame on Fanatec. It would be nice to have a work around other then a new dongle cuz it's been 3 days i put an order for the new dongle, and i haven't receive any news or confirmation about the shipment. My credit card has been charged tho. :S

I think it was a PS3 update that disable PWT in the first place, as much as I want my PWT wheel to work. I don't think we can put blame on Fanatec. It would be nice to have a work around other then a new dongle cuz it's been 3 days i put an order for the new dongle, and i haven't receive any news or confirmation about the shipment. My credit card has been charged tho. :S

The PWT wasn't disabled due to a firmware update, mine still works with f1 2010 and gt5 prologue.

Know I'm getting scared why is your new dongle not syncing when smooth herbs did... This is becoming a nightmare, smoothherb can you tell us any steps you took and any details that you may have left out. Im getting angry and scared majority anger

nvm he dint bind, still hopping for a little online down loadable dongle update like they did over a year ago for gt5 prologue. Anybody here from north America specifically Canada. Wondering how long it will take if I give in to this dongle conspiracy before it shows... when you are really good and used to a wheel not being able to take those smooth linear turns drive a man crazy!

So I ordered the new dongle for my PWT and got it this afternoon. My problem is that I cannot get my PWT to sync with the new dongle. I've been looking and searching for the lasst couple hours and came up with zilch. Can anyone direct me or give me a heads up. I'd really appreciate it. :)

Thanks in advance.

You need to sync it! It is in the manual. LINK

Coupling the wheel:
  1. Press „dongle button“ Both dongle LEDs start
    blinking.
  2. Press „base button“ + „Start button“ at the same
    time.
  3. Wait for a few seconds until the white LED stops
    blinking and lights up.
    Coupling the pedals:
  4. Press the „dongle button“ �� Both dongle LEDs
    are blinking.
  5. Make sure that the pedal has power and then
    press the gas pedal to wake up the pedals from
    stand-by mode.
  6. Press all three pedals (gas, brake, clutch) fully at
    the same time.
  7. Wait a few seconds until the red LED stops blinking
    and lights up.
  8. Please note that if it happens during gameplay that you
    press all 3 pedals at the same time, it will not cause a
    new coupling.

Quick question Smoothherb, do you have to use ps3 compatibility mode or it works right after u change the dongle?

I am in the PS3 mode all the time, but I have to activate the ps3 mode after the game starts.

Know I'm getting scared why is your new dongle not syncing when smooth herbs did... This is becoming a nightmare, smoothherb can you tell us any steps you took and any details that you may have left out. Im getting angry and scared majority anger

Look at the start of my post, everything is explained and the manual is added.

A big Thanks to fanatec, for answering our questions:tup:

There is still many force feedback missing! I had to install the g25 because of this issue and now I have the direct comparison. The curbs and the road is much more intensive on the g25. Also the setting 360° and 180° is useless, because the wheel wobbles like crazy. Can someone tell me if my settings are wrong or is the wheel just not 100% compatible with GT5?

Last edited:
Back