Fanatec 911 wheel (without S) don't work GT5? UPDATE with solution

• Thread starter Smoothherb
  • 132 comments
I just got my dongle today too. I set the in-game force feedback to simulation and 3. On the wheel, i have FF at 100, Sho at 33. It does wobble a bit on straight, but nothing that i can't live with, and I usually just drive with my finger tips.

Sadly, I also experienced the proplem of wheel shaking when you are driving fast on a straight (with 900°) and sometimes its getting really annoying.
Is it possible to update the firmware of my wheel somehow?
I got a Porsche Turbo (without S and without USB jack) wheel.

Not sure if you guys have or haven't seen this, but it talks a bit about some adjustments to make on GT5 that may help. It's around the 15:30 mark on the video.

Fanatec GT5 Setup

IMG_20101204_033539.jpg

My dongle has none of this on the back of it and it is a Turbo S dongle. They probably added this after the fact.

I dont know why you guys all took this smack in the face like nothing happened, I have a VERY hard time swallow having to pay another 30 USD to make the product I already paid to work as advertised. this is what I posted in Fanatec's forum:

"I am in the exact same position as the OP here. Let me tell you how I see this.

The 911 turbo wheel was one of the most expensive if not the most expensive wheel. Where I am it was more expensive than G25. It was advertised as "Key benefits ... *Compatible with PC and Playstation®3". We shelled out fairly big bucks for it and expect it to perform like top of the line product as well as perform as advertised.

And here it does not work at all with the biggest racing game on current genneration of consoles, the very game that we (at the least I did) bought this game for (and the prologue, which works only with an inelegant work around). what an irony.

Fanatec is not a big brand, therefore does not have the fund to do vast advertisings like logitech; and as an high end product most customers will do a lot of research before making the purchase decision. so part of Fanatec's ongoing success relies on word of mouth of its current customers.

if Fanatec insist on charging its customers another 30 USD to get their product they already paid for to work on the game that they bought the product to play on, then you can bet your life that these people will not spread good words.

I myself live in New Zealand, so I can not even buy the damn dongle if I wanted to (at this point I have not decided if I want to buy it). The shop that i bought my wheel from no longer lists it or any other fanatec product so I am guessing that is the end of the road for them.

So basically I will most likely strongly recommond everyone against buying a Fanatec product simply because there is a strong possiblity that such issue can arise in the future too, new games will come out and you may have to buy (or unable to buy) a new dangle to make it work every time. I myself will not buy another Fanatec product ever again either.

So that is for you fanatec, all over a dongle which cost less than 3 dollars to make and about that to ship internationally.

Very disappointed."

They do give out the dongle for free if your wheel is under 2 years old, or give u a 20$ coupon on their shop. I think they did what they can and more for customer. GT5 is the only game on PS3 as far as i know that didn't work with the PWT. F1 2010 works fine... And if you bought it from an official retailer, fanatec will send them the dongle too. For more info, please read the 911wheel.de blog.

They do give out the dongle for free if your wheel is under 2 years old, or give u a 20$ coupon on their shop.

Their site doesnt make it clear.

"1. 911 Turbo Wheel (Not "S")

In order to make this wheel work you need to use the new RF dongle for the 911 Turbo S wheel which is available in our weshop for 29,95 USD / Euro. (USA / EU)

All customers get the dongle for free within the extended warranty period of 2 years.

If your wheel is older than 2 years we will offer you a free coupon code of 20 USD / EURO after the purchase of the dongle.

How to get your dongle or discount coupon?

Please place a regular order and leave a note in the comments field with the fanatec invoice number and date of your original PWT purchase and we will send you an email with your coupon code or change the order amount.

Please note that this offer is only valid to Fanatec webshop customers. If you purchased your product at a dealer you need to contact them for help. "

reading above passage, this is what I got:

1, they made it clear in the first line that you have to buy it, 30 USD or 30 EU

2, you get a dongle for free only if you have the "extended 2 year warranty" (implying if you didnt buy/somehow acquire the "extended 2 year warranty", then you dont get it for free).

3, if your wheel is over 2 years old, you have to pay full price but they give you a coupon after your purchase. implying that you can not use this 20 bucks coupon on the purchase itself.

4, this doesnt explicitly explain what happens to these with wheel under 2 years old and does not have the extended warranty.

5, all of above is only available to Fanatec webshop customers, for those who bought it in a retail store, you have to talk to the store. Basically if it doesnt work out with the store, you are stuffed.

6, looking at their webshop I dont think I can buy one since I dont live in North America and Europe.

I suspect this is what any ordinary English speaking person would gather too.

I think they did what they can and more for customer.

I am sorry but I can not agree. the damn game had been in development for 5 years and it happens to support Logitech wheels from GT4 era and beyond. why can it not support a two and half year old expensive wheel that many people bought for this game? where was the ongoing communication and feedback and negotiation between Fanatec and PD for the last 5 years? and since this debacle happened Fantec should have made it very clear that ALL PWT customer need not to panic and will get a free fix. the only posts that I saw that tells me the fix is free are the ones posted today.

GT5 is the only game on PS3 as far as i know that didn't work with the PWT. F1 2010 works fine... And if you bought it from an official retailer, fanatec will send them the dongle too. For more info, please read the 911wheel.de blog.

for the time being GT5 is the only one that doesnt work (and others only work with that inelegent system date workaround, now I lost track of progress for soem other games that I play). Since we do not know what caused the problem, we have no assurance that GT5 will be the only game that dont work. Our assurance in Fanatec product can only be the way Fanatec handles the situation.

Last edited:
Hmm i thought it was quite clear about the issue and it was posted for about 2 weeks on the front page of Fanatec blog when GT5 came out. Basically what happened is one of the GTP member contacted Fanatec about the issue and Thomas responded here, on the fanatec blog and the playstation forum about the free dongle solution. I thought the situation was frankly very well handled.

can someone help me please?!?!

My name is micheal from the netherlands.

I have bought a fanatec porsche turbo s wheel, for my ps3 . to play gt5.
if i connect my wheel to the ps3 with usb cable or with the dongel it works fine in the menus , but my problem is when i want to race the only thing that works is my wheel but not my pedals? the brake doesnt work the gas pedal doesnt work, and so is my clutch and H shifter?

what am i a doing wrong? my steering wheel has the latest firmware.

i really want to play this game with my new steering wheel , that's why i bought it.

can someone help me?

thanks!

Yes my steering wheel is connected with the select and connect button i see the ps3 buttons on my steering wheel.

And my pedals are connected to my steering wheel . not to my ps3.

Did you connect the shifter and pedal cables to the correct PS/2 ports on the wheel? It's possible you got them reversed.

Yes the pedals and the shifter are connected the wright way green/green purple/purple.
At first the shifter only works in 1 st 2nd 3rd and the reverse? so the shifter doesn't work.
And the pedals never worked on gt5.
On the xbox it worked perfect.
When i uploaded the firmware to my steering wheel my pedals were not connected to the wheel is that a problem?

I dont even get a response of fanatec self.

so what to do now?

Back