Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
Are the problems with the CSW only to a small % of owners, or is it a bigger problem.
I really want the CSW and the only thing stopping me is reading you guys talk about reliability.
I bought the CSP v2s and other than needing to change the throttle spring I love them, but im not sure if I want to spend CSW money just knowing I have to mod it to fix it for the long run. :nervous:

I am just one owner speaking for myself. I don't know how much wheels have been sold, nor the percentage of wheels returned due to issues. So I can't answer your question.
Just be prepared to replace belts every year (or send it back for replacement), as I reckon that if I take my own wheel as example you will run into this issue. Keep in mind that tensioning the belts is a pain to do since the motors are so sensitive to overtightening.
Also I would keep an eye out for the quick release wobble issue. You might want to wait until at least this is fixed properly.

Other than this, the CSW is solid in construction in my opinion.

Looking purely at probability, seeing multiple people have 4 to 6 wheels in a row end up with bad motors should say something about what might be happening overall.

Some of these "repeat offender" (wheels) occurrences span multiple batches of wheels as well.

I'm not saying don't buy it and I'm not saying buy it... But you deserve to be aware of the above. As usual though, you're taking a bit of a gamble with most wheels. Unfortunate as that may be.

If I were looking to buy a wheel, I would probably until at least after the end of this month. That's up to the purchaser to decide of course. :)

Last edited:
I will, is fanatec working on an update to fix the motor strain issue?

I've had my CSW base with both the BMW and F1 rim from the fist shipped production batch to the US. My BMW rim was replaced as it was DOA out of the box. The replacement was sent within two days, so the Customer Service was great in my experience. I also had the F1 rim paddle shifter springs break, but I was forewarned that may happen and again the springs were sent as soon as they got a better spec spring.
In regards to the motors, QR wobble or belt slippage issue, I have yet to experience the issues.
I will keep my eye on it and let the community know if over time that changes. So far solid stuff IMO

I think that even with all the people out there having issues. Realistically, the vast majority of Fanatec buyers are getting "their monies worth" though that is of course in the eyes of the beholder. That doesn't mean the vast majority aren't having issues and isn't a statement remotely regarding any ratios as such...

Whether they break or not aside, there is no doubt they have granted MANY people out there countless hours of enjoyment. :)

I think that even with all the people out there having issues. Realistically, the vast majority of Fanatec buyers are getting "their monies worth" though that is of course in the eyes of the beholder. That doesn't mean the vast majority aren't having issues and isn't a statement remotely regarding any ratios as such...

Whether they break or not aside, there is no doubt they have granted MANY people out there countless hours of enjoyment. :)

Indeed :) It's going to rain in So Cal this weekend so MTB riding is out, so GT-5 indoors will be a must đź‘Ť

I have, what I'm 99% certain, is a problem with my CSW but I'd like to check if other's have this with their CSWs or it is just me. Basically the FFB on my CSW is nice and smooth until the FFB is above about 40%. Then there is a notchy feeling to the FFB above that 40% FFB level as I turn the wheel. If I turn the wheel very very slowly then I can feel little jumps in the FFB. Do others feel this?

I have, what I'm 99% certain, is a problem with my CSW but I'd like to check if other's have this with their CSWs or it is just me. Basically the FFB on my CSW is nice and smooth until the FFB is above about 40%. Then there is a notchy feeling to the FFB above that 40% FFB level as I turn the wheel. If I turn the wheel very very slowly then I can feel little jumps in the FFB. Do others feel this?

This is an indication that your belt is slipping. Either the belt needs to be brought up to the right tension again or the belts need replacement.

What Logiforce stated... or one of the motors has failed.

If what you feel is a consistent, repeating pattern every few degrees of rim rotation, then it is likely one of your motors has failed. It will feel like the FFB get's strong then weak repeatedly as you turn the rim slowly.

Okay, just two teaser images for something that is incoming in next few days :)

iRMYPB4b7aDiC.jpg

iBAotAjChEPm4.jpg

Looking purely at probability, seeing multiple people have 4 to 6 wheels in a row end up with bad motors should say something about what might be happening overall.

Seems worse than with last gen wheels. I only broke one Turbo S. If my wheel dies, I will likely get T500rs.

Seems worse than with last gen wheels. I only broke one Turbo S. If my wheel dies, I will likely get T500rs.

That's what I did. I grabbed my T500 again yesterday (was in use daily by my dad since March last year when I got the CSW). The T500 still feels the same as the day I got it, unlike the CSW unfortunately.
I still hope Fanatec CS will get back to me someday though, but I don't know if I will go back to the CSW to be honest. I feel as if the T500 has more detailed FFB than I had gotten from the CSW now in a long while. Though maybe thats a belt issue. *shrugs*

I guess I am just one of the (many?) unlucky ones as far as durability goes. Glad to see there are folk with good wheels though. :)

Okay, just two teaser images for something that is incoming in next few days :)

iBAotAjChEPm4.jpg

Just last month I bought the CSL Seat and I had to return the next day because the seat was REALLY too upright and with no option to recline it. It was unusable, sadly. I sure hope they listened to my request and modified it properly so it more comfortable like my Playseat.

This one looks slightly better but it needs to recline back some more, so I think I'll wait until they make an adjustable one.

Jerome

What do you mean by "too upright"?

Also, have you tried to switch the bolts for determining the horizontal pitch of the seat (bolts that goes on slider rods)? If you put longer ones on front, and shorter behind, you can change the pitch for few degrees which alters the vertical pitch significantly?

I have both RGTR and now CSL and they are both perfect for me (188 cm high, 85 kg). Only change I had to make is actual position of the wheel-U-rod because of the dimension of the rim - for my RGTR (that have CSRE on it) I am having it on the "prior-to-last-hole) while for CSL (with CSW) I had to move it at the last hole.

For me RGTR was perfect, same now with CSL, really. And all my friends from Croatia that have Rinoseat GTR (Rinoseat was Croatian product originally, CSL is the same seat now under the Fanatec brand) are absolutely positively crazy about their seat.

I am sorry to hear you had issues, I really think no other seat comes close to RGTR/CSL, but I guess some issues can arise if you expect (or need) some specific seating position đź‘Ť

Just wanted to let you guys know Fanatec got back to me, but will have to go back and forth some time due to some concerns.
Since I graciously got the CSW and rims gifted from Thomas I have no warranty, so I need to buy the 'service pack' of 150 euros.
Though as we talked here, I wish to know if the belt tensioning system gets improved to offload the motors. Else I might end with either worn motors or belts again within a year. And I don't wish to put down 150 euros annually.
Also I want to know if they might end up exchanging the base or not. Since my QR hub is wider, it doesn't have the wobble issues as final production models have. So I wouldn't want an exchange, ;)
The last question I asked is if my rims are covered too in the 'service pack'. Cause I have some old shifter assemblies on my rims and a button isn't seated properly anymore.

So yeah, just send a mail about this. For now I will use my T500 until I am at least sure the belt issues have been dealt with properly by Fanatec. The pack is available till 2018, so I can wait a while still. ;)

I too found the seat too upright when I first assembled it, but I also figured out (eventually) that you could switch the mounting bolts to give it a different angle and that made a big difference. I'm still not comfortable with the top plastic part of the seat though, the "flaps" on the sides are much to tight and squeeze my shoulders, and the neck support points too much forward giving me neck and shoulder ache if I play too long. I'm considering removing the entire top part of the seat and just using the seat back with the leftover cover folded down behind or something.

Just wanted to let you guys know Fanatec got back to me, but will have to go back and forth some time due to some concerns.
Since I graciously got the CSW and rims gifted from Thomas I have no warranty, so I need to buy the 'service pack' of 150 euros.
Though as we talked here, I wish to know if the belt tensioning system gets improved to offload the motors. Else I might end with either worn motors or belts again within a year. And I don't wish to put down 150 euros annually.
Also I want to know if they might end up exchanging the base or not. Since my QR hub is wider, it doesn't have the wobble issues as final production models have. So I wouldn't want an exchange, ;)
The last question I asked is if my rims are covered too in the 'service pack'. Cause I have some old shifter assemblies on my rims and a button isn't seated properly anymore.

So yeah, just send a mail about this. For now I will use my T500 until I am at least sure the belt issues have been dealt with properly by Fanatec. The pack is available till 2018, so I can wait a while still. ;)

BTW here in the US the price of the Elite wheel just changed from $540 to $600. Luckily my order went through at the old price and it just shipped. ;-)

Am already looking into some tweaks which should work on Elite/ CSW bases.

What do you mean by "too upright"?

Also, have you tried to switch the bolts for determining the horizontal pitch of the seat (bolts that goes on slider rods)? If you put longer ones on front, and shorter behind, you can change the pitch for few degrees which alters the vertical pitch significantly?

I have both RGTR and now CSL and they are both perfect for me (188 cm high, 85 kg). Only change I had to make is actual position of the wheel-U-rod because of the dimension of the rim - for my RGTR (that have CSRE on it) I am having it on the "prior-to-last-hole) while for CSL (with CSW) I had to move it at the last hole.

For me RGTR was perfect, same now with CSL, really. And all my friends from Croatia that have Rinoseat GTR (Rinoseat was Croatian product originally, CSL is the same seat now under the Fanatec brand) are absolutely positively crazy about their seat.

I am sorry to hear you had issues, I really think no other seat comes close to RGTR/CSL, but I guess some issues can arise if you expect (or need) some specific seating position đź‘Ť

What I mean by too upright is I feel hunched over and my hips felt pinched. They need to let me lean the top half of the seat back. I did switch the bolts, to help lean the seat back but then it felt like it was cutting circulation in my legs. They also need to get rid of those 'wing's by the shoulders, I only felt more clausterphobic with them. They also need to add more shoulder padding. IMO, they need to completely re-design the seat, something more along the lines of a Playseat-type seat I can sit in that thing for hours on end and it's not adjustable.

I would definitely buy the seat again if they make it adjustable or more comfortable as the rest of the seat was solid and easy to configure. I was conflicted, but I had to return it.

Jerome

I think we will start seeing price increases on a lot of things. Though Fanatec uses UPS, USPS changed it's rates this Sunday and international shipping charges basically DOUBLED! :/

If only Fanatec sold through an online retailer like Amazon. Shipping is already high, but amazon probably wants too big a piece of the pie :(

Back