Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
So Fanatec increases the price, halfs the warranty period and hopes that everyone will come rushing in buying their defective headache machines? Hahaha good luck.

From the Revised Warranty thread:

The end of last week I placed a PREorder for the CSR Elite, the next batch was shown due 2-5-13. Lo and behold it is part way to me now, to arrive this Friday. Easy order process, fast, no hassles. But I did notice when I read their site last week that the warranty was now 1 year instead of two. They also base it on shipped dates. So my ship date was 1-28-13 and my warranty started then apparently although I do not yet have the device.

Well maybe RacerXX can tell us since he is getting one Friday.
He likes to take things apart.

New CSR E Wheel, price increase includes diminished warranty feature in some regions:

Warranty in EU = 2 Years
Warranty in NA = 1 YEAR
Warranty in AU = 1 YEAR
Warranty in JP = Not Disclosed

Don't forget to mention that belts are worn in about a year time. Meaning that if it is outside the warranty you'd have to get the service pack for the CSW of 150 USD and unless they offer belts as spare parts (or have the same service pack for...), the CSR Elite users are screwed.

They can't drop the warranty period below 2 years in the EU, because of the law dictating a minimum period for warranty on electronics products.

Last edited:
While he is at it, maybe RacerXX can do an an in-depth analysis that confirms whether or not your $600 gets you the identical rim as CSR has but painted matte black with carbon fiber sticker on the front instead. He has a CSR too.

Prior to purchase you may want to estimate if you will turn 10,000 laps before the 1 year warranty expires. According to Doug Meyer at Sim Racing Review, the rubberized rim coating degraded significantly by then (@ min 3:35). He also states that other than the coating, the wheel rim appears to be the same as the CSR wheel rim (@ min 4:14).

Last edited:
While he is at it, maybe RacerXX can do an an in-depth analysis that confirms whether or not your $600 gets you the identical rim as CSR has but painted matte black with carbon fiber sticker on the front instead. He has a CSR too.

Prior to purchase you may want to estimate if you will turn 10,000 laps before the 1 year warranty expires. According to Doug Meyer at Sim Racing Review, the rubberized rim coating degraded significantly by then (@ min 3:35). He also states that other than the coating, the wheel rim appears to be the same as the CSR wheel (@ min 4:14).

How kind of you to think of me! I paid the old price though. I think its fine to personally investigate and modify devices. Like some say, "Don't buy it, build it".

I'm having my wheel rim wrapped in much higher grade leather or alcantara than you see on consumer products. But first I'll need to trim the face place near where your fingers go (ergonomics) and possibly brace it here and there. I'll get the formula rim when available too. For those that like the stock coating, that is very easy to redo if it degrades you know.

I'm really surprised that someone hasn't made an adapter and or wheel with buttons for the Elite.........It's crying out for a sparco, momo type wheel

Edit, and offered it up to the public for sale

I'm really surprised that someone hasn't made an adapter and or wheel with buttons for the Elite.........It's crying out for a sparco, momo type wheel

If only I had a CSR Elite......

If only I had a CSR Elite......

You don't need one to make an adapter. The csr-e uses that same 4 bolt connection that every Fanatec wheel uses. You just have to disassemble the csr-e rim to find that out.

There is nothing stopping you from using this. http://simracinghardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=28

on a csr-e.

In addition it looks to be the same board inside as the csr too with the same pin out but I don't have an oscilloscope. I was tempted to just put the turbo-s rim on mine when I noticed that the pin out, connector, and the bolt pattern was the same but I just got a fake momo instead.

Same rim.. Yes. :) The CSR rim is attached differently though. The CSR Elite has that nice machined hub to attach to...

You don't need one to make an adapter. The csr-e uses that same 4 bolt connection that every Fanatec wheel uses. You just have to disassemble the csr-e rim to find that out.

There is nothing stopping you from using this. http://simracinghardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=28

on a csr-e.

In addition it looks to be the same board inside as the csr too with the same pin out but I don't have an oscilloscope. I was tempted to just put the turbo-s rim on mine when I noticed that the pin out, connector, and the bolt pattern was the same but I just got a fake momo instead.

I don't believe they are the same. I have a picture around here somewhere that I took of the spindle on a CSR-E... Lemme find it.

Edit: Found it.

I took this photo of the CSR-Elite I had, when I had it for a short period. It was not my wheel I was simply checking out a failed motor on it.

CSRE_Spindle.jpg

Sorry the pic is a little dark. You can see that inside there are 5 bolts in a star pattern that hold the "adapter" to the main steering shaft. The CSW has this same steering shaft and 5 bolt pattern, but uses a different adapter with a plug.

Last edited:
Same rim.. Yes. :) The CSR rim is attached differently though. The CSR Elite has that nice machined hub to attach to...

Yes which is connected to an adapter that mirrors the hub of all the other Fanatec wheels.

You are looking at the wrong side. If you take apart the csr-e rim the back end leads to the 4 bolt hub that is on every Fanatec wheel.

Wait... are you talking about the rim? I think I get what you are saying now... Makes perfect sense. So not the piece I showed in my pic, but on the back of the rim itself. Very interesting point! I didn't take that portion apart.

That said... If I were going to personally make something like this, it would not require that a person disassemble their existing rim. I would only want them to have to remove the Elite rim as a unit and replace it.

This is an indication that your belt is slipping. Either the belt needs to be brought up to the right tension again or the belts need replacement.

What Logiforce stated... or one of the motors has failed.

If what you feel is a consistent, repeating pattern every few degrees of rim rotation, then it is likely one of your motors has failed. It will feel like the FFB get's strong then weak repeatedly as you turn the rim slowly.

Thanks for your comments guys. Fanatec support agree there is a problem so my CSW is going back to get fixed. The CSW felt great a lower levels of FFB so looking forward to finding out what the higher levels of FFB feel like when the CSW is working properly. Then need to save up for the yet to be seen Clubsport Shifter to make my life complete. :)

The CSS is delayed again. There was apparently an issue with something inside that needs to be reworked.

There have been some custom made ones that looked amazing.

At this point I wish someone would make add on wheels for the Elite and the CSW. The CSW is suppose to be a 10 year product for Fanatec right?, but at this rate 10 years will go buy and only the CSS and one other wheel will be in development testing. :scared:

edit: Its been figured out, now you just need to convince someone to build / sell it. 👍

im sure this has been posted before in this thread.

KMc0Ml.jpg

A02Wzl.jpg

tN5Vf.jpg

If you're a project cars member you can see this build from start to finish.
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?6319-CSR-Elite-rim-replacment

P1070293.JPG

imag0377f.jpg

imag0367h.jpg

Last edited:
I really like those modded CSR Elites, but with the current reliability you're taking a pretty big risk by modding your wheel.

The CSS is delayed again. There was apparently an issue with something inside that needs to be reworked.

Considered that the release of Formula rim for the CSR Elite was planned somewhere around september, we will be lucky if we see a CSS release by the end of the year :)

My guess for the CSHB release is late 2014 and i don't expect a full F1 rim before the end of 2015, but time will tell.:D

Really, I can imagine what that i$$ue is......
Anthony,

where does this come from? Don't worry, we are doing well. Just because other companies have issues it does not mean that this applies to the whole industry. ;)

And a defective rate of 3 to 5% does not kill us either. It is high but nothing dramatic. It's the people who are making the drama...

I would prefer that Fanatec took their time developing and testing. I know how excited and impatient we all get when we see something we like, but perhaps they are trying to answer the calls for reliability.

@ bermudakid I like those mods, the wheel with the centre console reminds me of my own
DSCN0605_zps96814a26.jpg
[/IMG]
Ideally I'd like a manufacture to offer a complete wheel rim with all the button functions as well as I only use the Elite for xbox. But I would consider modifying mine

Really, I can imagine what that i$$ue is......

so I have noticed no more vanity plate? losing free advertising like that, gotta be roos loose in the top paddock.

Anthony,

where does this come from? Don't worry, we are doing well. Just because other companies have issues it does not mean that this applies to the whole industry. ;)

And a defective rate of 3 to 5% does not kill us either. It is high but nothing dramatic. It's the people who are making the drama...

I thought vanity plate man's post furphy before your reply, so no 2nd thought, but now I have become curious about all of this.

So considering you say the failure rate is high, i suppose you want to reduce that. So what changes are you going to implement to improve the products themselves? What improvements would we as end-users be able to take notice off?

I am asking as I need to pay 150 for the service pack, because of a few issues. I already asked basically the same from the CS dude, but since I have not heard back yet I thought I'd ask you. Cause I wouldn't want to run into issues again a following year, cause yeah... I just can do a lot of nice stuff for that money otherwise (get another BKG2 for simvibe, get a trackIR5, go out with friends to two or three concerts, etc)

Back