Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
If I heard the chap in the MadCatz video correctly, did he not state: NOT verbatim: "We worked with Microsoft on a completely NEW FFB Protocol & hardware for the xbox 1"

Would this not mean the current wheels are obsolete then by Fanatec for the xbox 1? Or can there be a hardware update to make them compatible via launch time? I don't want to jump the gun/to a conclusion, just taking the words from the video. Slightly confused tbh....

"Fanatec on next gen consoles

A few people are wondering why we are so quiet.
We will not make the mistake again to mention new things too early. We will announce something new if production is about to start. We are working on several products for several platforms and every one of our new products will set a new benchmark as they did in the past.
We are also trying hard to protect the investment of our existing customers by making our current products upwards compatible. But we cannot confirm that before the final consoles are released.

Thomas"

In other words... "Oh crap. Uh... stall for time... these people spent alot of money... don't want to pay new licensing fee... okay, here we go: Well, they MIGHT work! We won't know until we try!"

Still wondering how Fanatec completly missed the boat with the next gen consoles.:ouch:

I think we all expect the CSW to work on the PS4. The main issue is the steering wheel support on the Xbox one.

I'm very glad that i sold my CSR Elite, because somehow i don't that expect the current Fanatec wheels will get approval from MS. The announcement is still pretty vage. No confirmation that Fanatec is developing a wheel for a specific console (PS4/Xbone/Wiiu ??)

I guess time will tell. That's the good thing about the delayed Xbox one launch in my country: I still have plenty of time. :):)

Still wondering how Fanatec completly missed the boat with the next gen consoles.:ouch:

Disagree. I am curious. I love to see new stuff. Rather today than tomorrow. I guess everybody in this forum does.

But, the new consoles won't be here till November. If Fanatec announcements pop up in November and they are ready to deliver in December, it will be plently. Looking at the recent announcements from MC and TM, it might from a business standpoint even be advantageous to wait till the competition played their hands and disclosed products and pricing. So in my view they didn't miss the boat, the boat isn't even here yet.

I guess time will tell. That's the good thing about the delayed Xbox one launch in my country: I still have plenty of time. :):)

Same here. Our niche market is seeing tons of new products in a short timespan. Great times. And I'm willing to postpone my purchase till the forum feedback from the early adopters trickles in.

In other words... "Oh crap. Uh... stall for time... these people spent alot of money... don't want to pay new licensing fee... okay, here we go: Well, they MIGHT work! We won't know until we try!"

You know what is annoying about this is that Thrustmaster didn't pay for an exclusive. Before the Mad Catz wheel was shown I think most of us thought Thrustmaster was the exclusive maker of wheels for xbox one. This would mean that Fanatec couldn't even talk to Microsoft about future support.

Mad Catz's announcement has basically forced Fanatec's hand so now we know xbox one support is essentially Fanatec's decision alone.

Mad Catz's announcement has basically forced Fanatec's hand so now we know xbox one support is essentially Fanatec's decision alone.

I don't think it's a matter of licensing, but more of a matter of it working. Xbox uses completely new Wireless protocol, and Microsoft seems to force Wireless for every peripheral made for Xbox. It's more of a matter of getting permission to use USB or manufacture an upgrade kit for existing wheels.

I don't think it's a matter of licensing, but more of a matter of it working. Xbox uses completely new Wireless protocol, and Microsoft seems to force Wireless for every peripheral made for Xbox. It's more of a matter of getting permission to use USB or manufacture an upgrade kit for existing wheels. [/COLOR]

That isn't true at all. Instruments were pretty much exclusively wired. The new fightstick is definitely wired. The new controller passes data over the wire when plugged in.

Even if we assume new hardware is required then where is Fanatec's entry? Thrustmaster and Mad Catz obviously got past all those barriers. Once you have the license you have access to everything you need to create a new product.

That isn't true at all. Instruments were pretty much exclusively wired. The new fightstick is definitely wired. The new controller passes data over the wire when plugged in.

Even if we assume new hardware is required then where is Fanatec's entry? Thrustmaster and Mad Catz obviously got past all those barriers. Once you have the license you have access to everything you need to create a new product.

I'm sure Fanatec has no problem making a new product. The problem is upgrading existing products.

I still think that Fanatec and Microsoft can come to some kind of deal where they can supply a new Firmware/Driver to use PC mode on the Xbox One. Xbox One's USB's use HID Protocol, same as the PC/PS3/PS4. PC mode works on PS3 because they use the same protocol, so theoretically PC mode should work on Xbox via USB, but it doesn't because the Xbox refuses to recognize it as a controller.

Hopefully they'll be able to work some deal out where the wheel will be recognized as a controller and not just a USB device.

Yeah I remember an interview of Björn and Thomas where Thomas said that the Xbox is the developer-friendlier console with the ultimate Plug'n'Play in mind.. You just lay money on the table and you get the licence but it's also necessary to develop a complete new electronic which takes some time (for the CSR wheel 8 months and for the CSR Elite almost 2 years).
So to get a MC licence is pretty easy, the development is the other story....

Yeah I remember an interview of Björn and Thomas where Thomas said that the Xbox is the developer-friendlier console with the ultimate Plug'n'Play in mind.. You just lay money on the table and you get the licence but it's also necessary to develop a complete new electronic which takes some time (for the CSR wheel 8 months and for the CSR Elite almost 2 years).
So to get a MC licence is pretty easy, the development is the other story....

That is quite bad deal. Usually you should do less development when you buy a licence and use already made technology :)

That is quite bad deal. Usually you should do less development when you buy a licence and use already made technology :)

Which happened with the CSR.
It's just that the CSR-E/CSW base was build from scratch, which took 2 years.

So what this means is that technically Fanatec could use either base's design for a new wheel, but they just need to think up a new wheel design, electronics design and adjust the firmware according to the new electronics,

What we could see new with the extra motors in the triggers of the gamepad, is that the wheel motors will be officially hooked up to those. Thus making it so that they can each be driven individually and directly from a game. Maybe duplicating the left (brake) trigger motor to the ABS motor on the Clubsport Pedals.

Besides, if Thomas can't get a deal with Turn 10 for an official Forza wheel than I would love to see an official Project CARS wheel. :D

I'm sure it's more a money thing than a technology thing. I'm sure if Fanatec paid for the new M$ license, got the new "authenticity chip" and slapped it into a lightly modified CSR it would work. Either the CSR didn't sell like Fanatec wanted or (more likely) they're stalling on getting into the suddenly competitive XBOX wheel market.

Given the way next generation console wars have played out. I think it will be pretty much:

1. Microsoft says no xbox device will be compatible i.e. current Fanatec wheels.

2. Sony says all PS3 Fanatec wheels will be ok to use.

3. Microsoft backtracks and updates Xbox One with software to allow xbox 360 wheels to work.

Right?

;)

Not sure if posted earlier, PS4 wheel:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/p...ial-wheel-playstation-4-t80-driveclub-edition

Last edited:
Given the way next generation console wars have played out. I think it will be pretty much:

1. Microsoft says no xbox device will be compatible i.e. current Fanatec wheels.

3. Microsoft backtracks and updates Xbox One with software to allow xbox 360 wheels to work.

Right?

;)

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/p...ial-wheel-playstation-4-t80-driveclub-edition

I hope you are right, but in the meantime, this quote from your link made me LMAO:

"Sensations provided by the T80 - DRIVECLUB Edition are also incredibly lifelike, thanks to the wheel’s realistic linear resistance with automatic re-centering via Thrustmaster’s exclusive Bungee Cord technology."

"Bungee Cord Technology?!" Haahahaahaa!! So much technological sophistication in an oversized glorified rubber band, am I right?

I hope you are right, but in the meantime, this quote from your link made me LMAO:

"Bungee Cord Technology?!" Haahahaahaa!! So much technological sophistication in an oversized glorified rubber band, am I right?

ROFL. I see the marketing department isn't working well together with the R&D department. Heck, it almost looks as if the R&D guys pulled a prank on the marketing guys/girls. :dopey:

Everything points to that drive club is just pretty candy and too soft for our taste.(they just had to get a driving game for PS4 launch)

Right?

;)

That'd be nice, but probably not likely.

And LOL at the T80. What a disaster. I sure hope the DFGT still works for the people who want a basic wheel, because that thing looks like a WASTE of PLASTIC (and Bungee Technology!!)

That'd be nice, but probably not likely.

And LOL at the T80. What a disaster. I sure hope the DFGT still works for the people who want a basic wheel, because that thing looks like a WASTE of PLASTIC (and Bungee Technology!!)

Arcade wheel for arcade game :) But price is 100€!!! You could get DFGT for that.

Yeah that wheel is ****ing ass. It's a reminder of what these companies think of console gamers. That we're all kids who want kiddy wheels made out of toy-like parts.

Yeah that wheel is ****ing ass. It's a reminder of what these companies think of console gamers. That we're all kids who want kiddy wheels made out of toy-like parts.

But this is from the SAME COMPANY that already makes the T500RS, a PLAYSTATION LICENSED WHEEL!!

I know that they want that lower price point alternative, but this is kind of an insult...

Still, as long as the existing Playstation wheels are compatible it shouldn't be a deal breaker, but all a sudden the XBONE is looking pretty solid in the racing wheels dept... I suppose that's what launching with Forza gets you, compared to Drive Club, the Facebook of racing games.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/pr...veclub-edition

Yeah, I thought "What!!... oh, it's a joke", then "What!!.... it's not!!?".

Sad though, as I love the the idea of having a proper weighty feel in arcade racers, and I thought that the existence of a Drive Club wheel would bode well for Drive Club.

Thrustmaster has been offering bungee cord wheels for years.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/categories/racing-wheels-0

The Ferrari 458 Italia xbox 360 wheel from winter 2011 is practically the same exact thing as this. I had a friend buy it since his finances are practically 0... He had to replace the paddle shifter toggle switches at least 5 times each in the first 3 months. TM kept sending him the switches free of charge. During this time TM's "bungee-cord technology" kept losing its "technological strength :dopey:". He said it was the worst investment into a wheel he has ever made. Thankfully, a friend of mine and I saved him with a GT2 / Porsche Pedal with Basherboard adapter combo :cool:

Now, that being said, he, like us in here are enthusiasts. Ones that demand the highest quality and highest precision among the competitive sim racing market. However, there are likely several tens of thousands that are more than satisfied to buy this for their 7 year old, novice teenager/adult gamer... TM is looking to simply cover the entire market. Thomas understands this, and has made the choice to only go after the mid to upper echelon so to say. While I may not agree with some of his moves, he does comprehend the market well enough to establish a plan.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories

The Thrustmaster TX is listed as an accessory.

You know what is interesting is that the TX costs less than the t500 but the TX clearly has the same base. In addition it has Microsoft licensing and Ferrari licensing. (Ferrari licensing adds next to no cost but people like to believe it does.)

On the other hand the Fanatec Turbo S wheel costed more than the Turbo with Porsche and Microsoft licensing. This continues with the csr vs gt3rs and csr-e vs csw.

Other than crappier pedals how do you explain that difference.

You know what is interesting is that the TX costs less than the t500 but the TX clearly has the same base. In addition it has Microsoft licensing and Ferrari licensing. (Ferrari licensing adds next to no cost but people like to believe it does.)
On the other hand the Fanatec Turbo S wheel costed more than the Turbo with Porsche and Microsoft licensing. This continues with the csr vs gt3rs and csr-e vs csw.

Where do you get the price?
Some say that T500 costs as low as 399$, which is as much as TX, although some places sell clearly more expensive. Description also says metal gas and brake pedal. So no clutch? No TH8Rs or similiar H-shifter possible to use?
It also says fully dedicated to XBox one. So no PC support? In this case, pretty expensive wheel for just one game.

Back