Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
Can someone explain what exactly brushless means? Does it mean it's going to be completely smooth? What's the biggest selling point for this switch?

Yeah. I've looked around some. Seems promising, although I'm kind of a "waiting for the other shoe to drop" guy. Coupled with the 399.99 price tag, it almost seems too good to be true. Although if early reviews are raving about it, I'm gonna be mighty tempted to sell my T500 before it hits. I'm mainly PC and I have to believe it'll be PC compatible.

Another thing is interesting. The two belts : it looks like CSR Elite/Clubsport wheel system. If they are "uncogged" belts, this wheel could be as smooth as Fanatec high end wheel.

Another thing is interesting. The two belts : it looks like CSR Elite/Clubsport wheel system. If they are "uncogged" belts, this wheel could be as smooth as Fanatec high end wheel.

That system looks exactly the same as that in the T500. Same sizes and positions of belts and their pulleys, as well as the position of the motor.

Ok, I did not look at T500rs inside pics before, my bad. But maybe TM will switch to "uncogged" belts. But it is harder to tweak so they may prefer keep a known mechanic design.

Brushless upgrade for the CSW/Elite would be awesome, but at the current prices of the motors, not likely for a while. 2 motors plus a motor controller would be pushing the upgrade price to nearly the same as the cost of the wheel probably.

For the guy wondering about brushless motor benefits: you basically change the motor around internally so the power switching occurs electronically rather than through a mechanical interface (brushes and commutator). The center armature becomes the permanent magnet instead, and the armature windings move to the motor can. This makes the windings a lot easier to cool, especially with the copper coil wound 'round the can and water cooling. You get no brushes or comm to wear, no debris from the wear, no arcing, much more precise and variable speed motor control. On the negative side, sometimes the brushless motors have less stall torque than their brushed counterparts, but this problem can be solved/mitigated with proper design tweaks. Aside from that, the motor control requires considerably more sophistication also. One can't just take out a brushed motor and drop in a brushless, in other words, without changing the motor controller.

The main advantages for sim wheels would be the removal of comm and brush wear issues, but the easier cooling would be good too.

But eKretz, if those motors are really that expensive... I would fear about the quality of the one in the new TM wheel. Cause either all money goes to the motor and controller and they make the rest of the internals for cheap, or they install a cheap brushless motor and controller with the rest up to T500 specs.
Not to think about MS's license costs going on top of it all.

So yeah, at the end of the day I still reckon TM wants to get some profit out of it one way or the other.

Well, let's not forget the volumes Thrustmaster buys in, (think prices way cheaper tham you or I could buy the motors at) and also that they only need one motor per wheel.

Well, let's not forget the volumes Thrustmaster buys in, (think prices way cheaper tham you or I could buy the motors at) and also that they only need one motor per wheel.

Same bulk prices count for Fanatec though, right?

However, from what you said earlier...
If 2 motors plus controller is 500 euros and 1 motor plus controller is say 300 euros, thus counting 200 euro per motor and 100 for a controller, than we still only have 99 euros left for profit and manufacturing the rest of the wheel and buying Gates belts.

For some reason I doubt a Fanatec upgrade would equal the CSW price. Half of the price is more likely due to the bulk price tag of the components.

No, there is a simple misunderstanding at play here. My reference to pricing re:equal to the cost of the wheel was with respect to what you or I could buy 2 good quality aftermarket brushless motors and a controller for; the OEM's would likely pay nowhere near that cost. Not would thu use as good of motors, is my guess.

Looks like Fanatec is gonna wait a while before bringing a next gen console wheel on the market:

Submitted by Thomas on Mon, 09/09/2013 - 16:43.
I have a clear vision of what the ideal wheel looks like and how it should work with consoles.

The direction the platfrom holders are taking at the moment is concerning me and I wonder how consumer friendly their concepts really are.

It is better for us if we first watch carefully what is possible and how we can fully exploit the potential of the new platforms. This will pay off later and I will leave the current buzz to others.

It is just a fancy name for synchronous AC motor. AC was better in 1880 and it is better today :) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents)

Tesla is in my opinion the father of all electricity. :)
Without him we wouldn't have...

- electricity in our homes
- light in our homes
- Green energy generation (ie, Niagra Falls powerplant)
- Internet
- Radio
- Satellite
- GPS
- Speakers and microphones
- Tactile transducers
- Steering wheels
- Electricity in cars
Etc...

The list is endless and I love the guy for what he did. Just wish other powerful people didn't stop him, else we would have free wireless electricity worldwide now. Which would have saved a lot of weight in most mobile devices due to lack of a battery.

On topic:
Interesting choice of Thomas and might not be a wrong one. Though what will the community do?

Looks like Fanatec is gonna wait a while before bringing a next gen console wheel on the market:

I would say that puts to bed any question about current xbox wheels being used with the X1. Now lets hope they will work on the ps4.

I would say that puts to bed any question about current xbox wheels being used with the X1. Now lets hope they will work on the ps4.

I understand that Thomas can only say so much. In his reply to my question on Thomas blog, i think we've got an unofficial confirmation of what you just mentioned:

Submitted by HoiHman on Mon, 09/09/2013 - 17:26.
Thomas, what exactly is concerning you? I'm also very curious what time frame you are thinking about when you want to watch what is possible.

Submitted by Thomas on Mon, 09/09/2013 - 20:35.
The platform owners are our partners and I cannot discuss my concerns in public with my community. But basically I share the same concerns as many of you have raised as well.

I cannot say anything about a timeframe as there are too many factors to be considered

Kudo's to Thomas for at least giving us some kind of an answer, although it's not the one we hoped for.

It would be very strange if they do not work with PS4 now that PS4 version of GT6 is rumoured to arrive at some point. That would make no sense as PS3 version would have better wheel support.

I understand that Thomas can only say so much. In his reply to my question on Thomas blog, i think we've got an unofficial confirmation of what you just mentioned:

Kudo's to Thomas for at least giving us some kind of an answer, although it's not the one we hoped for.

I agree. At least he is telling us what he can tell us. I am sure there are a couple of factors at play:

- New FFB protocols that deliver better results
- Designing a wheel around the new buttons on next gen consoles
- Possibly integrating/communicating with the cameras for better in game steering representation
- New mechanical technologies that will be suit the console market
- Partnering with automotive companies to create synergy :rolleyes: with next gen games
- Designing a wheel to work with new and current systems
-Designing a wheel that works with ALL systems
- Designing a wheel that works with current accessories but new systems
-etc etc

/\/\

You forgot the console manufacturers wanting new license fees from all the new wheel sales;) Cause while all those are nice, Thomas clearly was hinting at wanting to find a way to include forwards compatability. And I'm not sure any of those forbid the older models working (minus some nifty features). The only real deal-breaker seems to be platform holders wanting new sales from wheel users.

No updates from Thomas about the CSS? It's been a couple of weeks since he's responded: I hope the gold isn't starting to tarnish a little...

Guess i was wrong :) :

From Thomas blog:

First CSS to be delivered to customers today

Submitted by Thomas on Wed, 09/18/2013 - 07:10.
I am happy to announce that the first shipment of the ClubSport Shifter has arrived and will be delivered to customers today. This includes both versions and the shifter table clamp.

At the moment we only got enough units to fullfil just a part of the European pre-orders but production continues and the rest of all open orders will be fullfilled within the next weeks.

Let us know when you received your shifter and how you like it!

I'm very happy to have received an email saying that my CSS is being shipped now! Hope everyone else is getting theirs soon, too.
The gold continues to be solid! :)

Well, I pre-ordered back in June and haven't gotten an e-mail yet. Will have to wait a bit more, I guess.

This is the email I received today:
"Dear Valued Customer,

Today, we would like to inform you that by the end of this week, we will be starting the first CSS customer shipments. We will serve our customers on a “first come, first serve” basis. Customers will be notified via email when we dispatch their pre-order.

Please be aware however, that given our current inventory of this product will not be able to ship all of the pre-orders at once. We sincerely regret these circumstances.
We were also unfortunately forced to reject some of the goods, due to them falling short of our quality standards. Together with our supplier, we are working hard on needed improvements as well as increasing their production output quickly.

Currently, we are thus unable to announce a definitive shipping date for the next production and shipping batches. We kindly therefore thank you for your patience. Rest assured: we will swiftly proceed to get our products to you, as soon as the new and additional shipments from our suppliers arrive to our warehouses.

We trust you understand our decision to contact you and openly inform you. Thank you for your patience thus far and for trusting in our company and our products.
If you would like to nevertheless withdraw your order, please send us a short message so we can cancel your order and refund your pre-payment immediately."

Back