Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
Anyone noticed that the blurred Porsche wheel Fanatec will probably release soon looks exacly like one rim suggested on F-wheel.com?

2rormt4.jpg

http://youtu.be/SZWgt3xHnTo?t=1m

2012_Porsche_918_RSR_022_6643.jpeg

http://f-wheel.com/submitted-csw-rims/518

It's still pretty hit or miss. There is a thread over on the iRacing forums in which people regularly post both good and bad comments. The issues with the motors is an ongoing problem and not relegated to a specific batch of units.

What seems to have happened (and I could be wrong of course) is that those people having issues have finally "come to terms" with the situation and are dealing with it through Fanatec instead of posting on forums. There are a number of people that have gone through multiple wheels and motor packs (what Fanatec sends as a replacement).

The posts I see now are generally people that have purchased a new CSW and have experienced these issues. Given the clientele, new wheel purchases are being made more frequently by people using iRacing. Thus, I see the posts much more there.

thank you very much that is what I was afraid of. I really want the fanatec but paying double the amount for a far less reliable product I think I will get the t500. Does that sound like a good idea?

thank you very much that is what I was afraid of. I really want the fanatec but paying double the amount for a far less reliable product I think I will get the t500. Does that sound like a good idea?

I am in the same situation you are, I put money into my Paypal account but there´s still some sort of feeling that Fanatec would be a bad choice. I remember when I ordered the GT2 wheel in december 2010 and it came as defect, couldn´t use it on my PC but worked on consoles, however I got no problem with the Fanatec support, they responded within 5 days and gave me my money back and allowed me to keep the defect wheel.

What makes me lean more towards the CSW is the rims wich Fanatec offers, they look alot better than the ones offered by Thrustmaster and the CSP V2 are also of much higher quality than the pedals that come with the T500, but of course they do work with T500 if you play on PC but I wish there was an option to buy just the T500 without the mediocre pedals.

The T500 allows custom wheels wich CSW doesn´t allow and in a comment about his review below, the guy who compares them says the BMW rim is heavier than the custom GT rim he put on the T500 (probably becuse of all the onboard buttons and LCD display). The quick release of the CSW doesn´t mean much to me as I only plan to have one rim and I am not interested in F1 where the CSW have an edge over the plasticky rim offered by Thrustmaster.

The last con of the T500 is the fan wich I read is as loud as the Fanatec Porsche wheel wich makes me very concerned since I really hated the noise of the fan of the Fanatec Porsche wheel, but in the review where this guy says it is very loud he doens´t mention the version of his T500, I guess It´s the earliest one from 2011.

http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/03/fanatec-clubsport-wheel-review-3/

I am in the same situation you are, I put money into my Paypal account but there´s still some sort of feeling that Fanatec would be a bad choice. I remember when I ordered the GT2 wheel in december 2010 and it came as defect, couldn´t use it on my PC but worked on consoles, however I got no problem with the Fanatec support, they responded within 5 days and gave me my money back and allowed me to keep the defect wheel.

What makes me lean more towards the CSW is the rims wich Fanatec offers, they look alot better than the ones offered by Thrustmaster and the CSP V2 are also of much higher quality than the pedals that come with the T500, but of course they do work with T500 if you play on PC but I wish there was an option to buy just the T500 without the mediocre pedals.

The T500 allows custom wheels wich CSW doesn´t allow and in a comment about his review below, the guy who compares them says the BMW rim is heavier than the custom GT rim he put on the T500 (probably becuse of all the onboard buttons and LCD display). The quick release of the CSW doesn´t mean much to me as I only plan to have one rim and I am not interested in F1 where the CSW have an edge over the plasticky rim offered by Thrustmaster.

The last con of the T500 is the fan wich I read is as loud as the Fanatec Porsche wheel wich makes me very concerned since I really hated the noise of the fan of the Fanatec Porsche wheel, but in the review where this guy says it is very loud he doens´t mention the version of his T500, I guess It´s the earliest one from 2011.

http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/03/fanatec-clubsport-wheel-review-3/

I am definitely in the same boat, it's a real shame because i have wanted one of the csw wheels for ages but being in Australia there was no way of getting one. Now they are available i am worried about buying one because of reliability which in my eyes should not be the case for the price it is. I must say i have never bought anything that i have been worried about reliability so i will not start now. Thanks guys for your assistance

As far as the t500 pedals i have seen there is a real cheap mod that bashermods does that make the brake pedal far better http://www.basherboards.com/T500RS-BMK

RMX
Anyone who ordered from the US store receive shipping info yet? I ordered 29th of June order number 622876, no shipping info here for reference.

I don't think they have them in stock in North America......I think all CSS orderers got the same generic email regardless of location. I was one of the first to order from the US store and I've heard nothing since that email

The reports about defective products go down because the issues go down.

We made several small running changes to improve quality and I don't know any case of a repaired CSW with new and proper motors that it broke down. Of course we still have some issues but it is at a "normal" level. Now we aim to be better than normal.

Better than normal is always a welcome site, Thomas.
For what it's worth. Ever since I got my retail base, I haven't had a complaint at all.
Also I am using it a lot. A couple of hours per day at least. So it's getting a fair amount of use.

Btw, maybe you wish to unveil to us on what's up next in the pipeline? The CS Handbrake, a CSW rim or maybe some other accessory like quick release wall mounts as to show off your rims in the game room and put them away in a tidy fashion, base mounted paddle shifters, base mounted SLI/Display?

I am still working on getting the custom replacement motors ready for the Fanatec wheels, but they should completely end the motor reliability issues. I am running a pair of aftermarket motors that I have had in for nearly a year now with absolutely no reliability problems at all. I went through 3 pairs of stock motors before I switched, including one set of "new, improved batch" motors. I also took apart one each of the defective "old" and "new" motors and there were no visible (major) differences.

eKretz, the new motors are not available one year ago. I doubt you received the motors we are using now.
The improved motors have better soldering inside and a cable coating with higher temperature resistance. It is difficult to see the difference.

If you want to sell new motors for the CSW you are welcome but you should concentrate on improving the performance and not the reliability as our customers of the first production series get new motors for free if they should brake and there will be not a big market for replacement motors on the wheels we are selling now. ;)

I don't know whether or not you should be afraid of anything. I don't have access to records stating precisely how many wheels were returned due to varies issues. However, I do pay extremely close attention to a multitude of forums, specifically the hardware sections in those forums. As well, I regularly receive emails through my website requesting support regarding Fanatec products. I have nothing to gain nor lose by providing the info. I'm simply trying to help out as best I can.

Every wheel out there in this price bracket has issues of some type. It's up to the buyer to essentially choose the "lesser evil." (whatever that may be)

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to purchase.

eKretz, the new motors are not available one year ago. I doubt you received the motors we are using now.
The improved motors have better soldering inside and a cable coating with higher temperature resistance. It is difficult to see the difference.

If you want to sell new motors for the CSW you are welcome but you should concentrate on improving the performance and not the reliability as our customers of the first production series get new motors for free if they should brake and there will be not a big market for replacement motors on the wheels we are selling now. ;)

When does "now" start?

Edit: Maybe we should assume it was in January? https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7959883#post7959883

Last edited:

The motors I am working on should also be considerably stronger (larger cans and using neodymium magnets) and cooler running. According to your own customer service rep the last pair of warranty motors I received was the "new" batch which was supposed to alleviate the problems that were occurring (commutator burning or armature wire shorting?). The same thing happened to those "new" motors in my wheel. I gave up on the replacement motors you were supplying and put in my own Bühler replacement motors. I would be happy to try a set of motors that you are supplying now if you want to send them. If they are better I will be happy to inform everyone here and edit my original post to reflect that. Also, in my earlier post I said I had been running my aftermarket motors for "nearly a year," but it has been at least 3-4 months short of a full year. Tschüss!

When I use the FF on my new CSW at 100% I get a strong - bad (something like burning plastic) smell. That doesn't stops till I reduce the FF (70%) - I never tried it more than 2 minutes on 100%.
Should I worry? Should I apply to Fanatec service dept. or is this because the wheel is new and needs some "brake in" procedure?

The reports about defective products go down because the issues go down.

We made several small running changes to improve quality and I don't know any case of a repaired CSW with new and proper motors that it broke down. Of course we still have some issues but it is at a "normal" level. Now we aim to be better than normal.

What do you consider "normal" level? How many out of a hundred have some issue?

I bought the set CSW, BMW and V2 13 months ago. I've been 2 weeks talking to Johannes because now they want me to send them the base to repair it (not to change it like before). The motors start to burn again and smell if I use them at 100%. I also have the feeling that they go like jerking when I turn the wheel.
I changed these motors when Fanatec sent them to me with the instructions and they are supporting more time (around 6 months) because they have worked at 60% all the time.
The last bases lasted 2 months only working at 80-100% and For 100. They have already sent me 4 bases and a pair of motors. Too much.
Sorry for my English, I write from Spain.

When I use the FF on my new CSW at 100% I get a strong - bad (something like burning plastic) smell. That doesn't stops till I reduce the FF (70%) - I never tried it more than 2 minutes on 100%.
Should I worry? Should I apply to Fanatec service dept. or is this because the wheel is new and needs some "brake in" procedure?

Ooops... My opinion is that you should contact them ASAP. Hope it goes well, I am feeling rather guilty...:indiff:

I bought the set CSW, BMW and V2 13 months ago. I've been 2 weeks talking to Johannes because now they want me to send them the base to repair it (not to change it like before). The motors start to burn again and smell if I use them at 100%. I also have the feeling that they go like jerking when I turn the wheel.
I changed these motors when Fanatec sent them to me with the instructions and they are supporting more time (around 6 months) because they have worked at 60% all the time.
The last bases lasted 2 months only working at 80-100% and For 100. They have already sent me 4 bases and a pair of motors. Too much.

I understand you prefectly. So 4 CSW bases and all broke? Oh my god, seems the CSW is the Xbox 360 of steering wheels. I have read negative posts about T500 also but never read something like that, I thought the CSW would be of higher quality than T500 consider the huge price gap, I think I have made up my mind and might buy the T500 instead.

Last edited:
I thought the CSW would be of higher quality,

It is outstanding quality. It's unfair to generalise like that because some people have been unlucky or have experienced a bad batch. Countless more people have had no issues whatsoever.
As is always said on forums, you only ever read about people's problems with units. Rarely do people periodically come to forums to say 'my unit is trouble free' :D

This is true but there do seem to be issues with the motors. Thrustmaster is using Bühler motors in the T500 right from the start and I haven't heard of a single failure of the FFB motor in any of their T500 wheels. The rest of the CSW wheel is great and it seems has a pretty low failure rate more inline with other manufacturers. I really think Fanatec should change motor suppliers; I would have done so long ago if I were the boss.

It is outstanding quality. It's unfair to generalise like that because some people have been unlucky or have experienced a bad batch. Countless more people have had no issues whatsoever.
As is always said on forums, you only ever read about people's problems with units. Rarely do people periodically come to forums to say 'my unit is trouble free' :D

Steve,

While there is surely truth to this, I have always felt that it only addresses one side of the issue. While it does not tell the whole story, it can be used as a reference when comparing wheels to one another. If wheel A has many issues and wheel B has much fewer, it stands to reason that wheel A is likely more prone to issues.

I only state the above because it is an often used retort to negative comments regarding a product, and not just Fanatec ones. One cannot state that all CSW and CSR Elite wheels will have issues based on the comments... However, one can state that they seem to have more issues than other wheels, specifically with their motors. This is solely based upon the negative posts seen. (EDIT: About all wheels, not just CSW and CSR Elite)

Last edited:

Your English is just fine. When was the last set of motors sent to you?

Also, I just stated earlier that people's replacement "motor packs" have died as well... Thomas, you stated that you were not aware of this happening... So WHEN is the cut off for getting these newer better motors? Your customers deserve to know.

*putting on my business hat*
Lastly guys, speaking as a producer of sim equipment:
Do not be afraid to recognize and speak of issues you have with your products. Please do not act as though it is not an issue because you or your friends have not experienced it. The best thing you can do for a company is to tell them what they are doing right AND what they are doing wrong. A company that takes this information to heart and uses it to improve their products is surely to make you happy in the long run.
*hat off*

Good point, most forum posts about a product tend to be negative given those who are happily using the product tend not to take the time to post positive things. That being said, let me chime in: MY unit IS trouble free! PS- I was a community tester and have the beta CSW, Formula and BWM rims (and CSP v2), all part of the original test. So I do not benefit from the improvements made in production past the beta stage, and yet have had no issues. Last Fanatec product I had any issues with was a GT3RS v1 that a colleague who weighs over 300 lbs went ape on and cracked something on the inside, but that I consider his fault (I saw it happen, he was really wild with his steering actions when a car started to slide.) Overall when I've had questions about driver updates, configuration, or what I suspected might be a problem, Fanatec support was very helpful.

PS- Thomas, is it possible for those few of us with beta CSW product to pay some minor upgrade fee and send the wheel in to update it to the latest production spec? I may start to use my wheel again more in public (taking it into the office for folks to experience it, etc..., and given the rough treatment some put on my old GT3 wheel, I'd love to have the most up to date ahd robust motors and electronics on-board before doing so...)

Steve,

While there is surely truth to this, I have always felt that it only addresses one side of the issue. While it does not tell the whole story, it can be used as a reference when comparing wheels to one another. If wheel A has many issues and wheel B has much fewer, it stands to reason that wheel A is likely more prone to issues.

I only state the above because it is an often used retort to negative comments regarding a product, and not just Fanatec ones. One cannot state that all CSW and CSR Elite wheels will have issues based on the comments... However, one can state that they seem to have more issues than other wheels, specifically with their motors. This is solely based upon the negative posts seen.

Exactly, it is hard to get a good overview if there is a huge problem with the CSW since it is only sold from Fanatecs website wich means you won´t see any reviews on Amazon. I have read a ton of reviews of T500 on Amazon US, UK, DE, FR, ES and IT. There are pretty much generally only one or two 1 star reviews while all the others give it a 5 star.

Last edited:
This is true but there do seem to be issues with the motors. Thrustmaster is using Bühler motors in the T500 right from the start and I haven't heard of a single failure of the FFB motor in any of their T500 wheels. The rest of the CSW wheel is great and it seems has a pretty low failure rate more inline with other manufacturers. I really think Fanatec should change motor suppliers; I would have done so long ago if I were the boss.

We are using exatcly the same motor on the Porsche and CSR wheels and sold many thousand wheels without problems. The application is the same so the motors in principle work fine. We just had bad luck with a batch of motors.

Well, I think the reason people are finding that hard to believe is that there still seem to be a fair amount more motor failures than in competing products. For instance, again, I have never heard of a T500 FFB motor failure, not once. The web is littered with Fanatec motor failures. Also, a Bühler motor costs close to $100 or even more. The motors in your wheel are clearly made cheaply (I have taken the failed ones apart, they are pictured in the Fanatec modding thread next to a Bühler) and I have seen similar motors for sale by Mabuchi for a few dollars, certainly under $10. You can't claim to be in the same ballpark quality-wise with that kind of material/workmanship cost disparity. Nor by simply looking at the photographs of a Bühler motor's innards next to a Fanatec motor's innards. I think you would be doing your company a huge favor by switching suppliers.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my CSW and wouldn't trade it for a T500, but that's with the aftermarket motors I put in. Everything else about the wheel is fantastic!

There is a definitive improvement from the beta test motors to the current spec. The beta motors would lose resistance after an hour or so of play and where noticeably less consistent in their ffb output.

Presently my CSW runs as good as the day it was replaced (couple months ago).

Latest Posts

Back