Ferrari and Vettel to Part Company at the End of 2020 Season

Wait, there's a 2020 season?

I think the writing has been on the wall for Vettel for a while, and now seems like as good a time as any to move on... with the prospect of little to no serious racing this season, it also means both Ferrari and Vettel avoid an awkward, season-long 'will he, won't he' scenario, and a possible knock-on over adverse affects for the rest of the team - this move will probably benefit all involved, and will certainly benefit whoever gets that most coveted of race seats.

If he does stay and goes to McLaren it might actually be a rather smart choice. Word on the grapevine before testing was that Ferrari were behind, going to McLaren might only be a drop of a place or two in the pecking order. McLaren improved a lot last year with Seidl, and Ferrari with the exception of '17/'18 haven't really had a car capable of challenging the titles in almost 10 years, so McLaren might just be worth a punt for the new regs.

If he does stay and goes to McLaren it might actually be a rather smart choice. Word on the grapevine before testing was that Ferrari were behind, going to McLaren might only be a drop of a place or two in the pecking order. McLaren improved a lot last year with Seidl, and Ferrari with the exception of '17/'18 haven't really had a car capable of challenging the titles in almost 10 years, so McLaren might just be worth a punt for the new regs.
With some Merc power under the hood could be a good move... Hope he stays on and redeems himself after his recent form dip. At least all this speculation gives us something to debate whilst toiling through the race desert we're in... BBC speculate Sainz to Ferrari & Riccardo to Mclaren...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52627900

Last edited:
Although I agree with the idea that Vettel has come in for some clear media criticism and fan disrespect, I must respectfully quibble with the suggestion he is the 3rd most successful driver in F1. The number of races per season and the number of points per race have not been constant over time, distorting the historical perspective in terms of total numbers.
I see your point, but from a statistical point of view, all other stats in F1 will differ if it were measured like that.

With some Merc power under the hood could be a good move... Hope he stays on and redeems himself after his recent form dip. At least all this speculation gives us something to debate whilst toiling through the race desert we're in... BBC speculate Sainz to Ferrari & Riccardo to Mclaren...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52627900
I thinks whenever the budget cap kicks in, Ferrari will suffer the most in terms of performance drop, which may boost McLaren with their new Merc engine and an experienced driver like Seb or Ric in it.

I will be very surprised if Vettel doesn't retire, what he has said about it seems to suggest it, besides he is leaving a strong seat with no possibility of an equal one, he has won 4 Titles so I Don't see a huge desire there to prove Himself, he would honestly be better off racing in another catagory and achieve success rather then exist in the midfield.

I see your point, but from a statistical point of view, all other stats in F1 will differ if it were measured like that.

I thinks whenever the budget cap kicks in, Ferrari will suffer the most in terms of performance drop, which may boost McLaren with their new Merc engine and an experienced driver like Seb or Ric in it.

This is why I support Racing Point.

Wait, there's a 2020 season?

I think the writing has been on the wall for Vettel for a while, and now seems like as good a time as any to move on... with the prospect of little to no serious racing this season, it also means both Ferrari and Vettel avoid an awkward, season-long 'will he, won't he' scenario, and a possible knock-on over adverse affects for the rest of the team - this move will probably benefit all involved, and will certainly benefit whoever gets that most coveted of race seats.

The mental thing is that there may still be a championship up for grabs. Hamilton's rhythm has been disturbed, could this be Vettel's chance to leave with the Ferrari championship that he wanted so badly?

With that said this season's WDC title (if it happens) will be a poisoned chalice. It will be one for the records but its validity will always be questioned.

Vettel has burned too many bridges in F1.
autosportmagazine-15072010.jpg

As a McLaren fan, I'd much rather see the Honey Badger take Sainz' seat. I'm not even sure they could afford Princess Vettel anyway.

Just heard about Daniel a few hours ago. Best damned news I've heard in a while.

Ferrari or Mercedes would obviously have been better options at face value, but I'm hoping Daniel can combine with the team to get the most out of what he'll have, and of course that he'll continue to execute as proficiently-and-flawlessly as he's been able to in the past. He also adapts to new vehicles more-quickly than most, so it should be exciting from the get-go IMHO. I can't wait.

Short as this season's gonna be, it'll be a long one for me. :lol:

Another Ferarri driver who never achieved their full potential in the car? :banghead:
Actually, I think he may have achieved his full potential at Ferrari. That's the thing... and I don't mean disrespect because he seems to be a good guy, but ultimately he benefitted from Adrian Newey's best work for four years, getting the potential from that car while Ferrari floundered through their worst time. And he did so with the benefit of some serious back-office support and politics that made sure his teammates didn't get in the way to the titles. Not that he was undeserving, but as 4-time champions go, he got the discounted ones-- I never saw him as heads above the other top few drivers in the sport. He's prone to mistakes when the pressure increases, and isn't extraordinary speed-wise. That he has been outperformed by Leclerc already, just backs that opinion up.

How did this all fall apart after one season?
He went from a team with a great chassis hobbled by an unreliable engine that he was criticising on a daily basis, to the team that literally builds that engine in a mince chassis. He needed to get out of a team clearly favoring the other driver (whether merited or not), and thought that the new team was on an upwards trend (9th in 2016, 6th in 2017, 4th in 2018), only to discover it's as midfield as it ever was and it was pretty much the ability of the driver pairings (Magnussen/Palmer; Hulk/Palmer (then Hulk/Sainz), and Hulk/Sainz) to get results.

He only really had two options in any case, and nobody sane would have picked McLaren at the time. Now, the team looks to be getting its act together, he'll have a junior team-mate, and in 2021 McLaren goes back to the best engine on the grid.

He went from a team with a great chassis hobbled by an unreliable engine that he was criticising on a daily basis, to the team that literally builds that engine in a mince chassis. He needed to get out of a team clearly favoring the other driver (whether merited or not), and thought that the new team was on an upwards trend (9th in 2016, 6th in 2017, 4th in 2018), only to discover it's as midfield as it ever was and it was pretty much the ability of the driver pairings (Magnussen/Palmer; Hulk/Palmer (then Hulk/Sainz), and Hulk/Sainz) to get results.

He only really had two options in any case, and nobody sane would have picked McLaren at the time. Now, the team looks to be getting its act together, he'll have a junior team-mate, and in 2021 McLaren goes back to the best engine on the grid.
To add to that: part of the reason Danny left Red Bull was because he was skeptical of Honda's engine. Both Honda teams (although technically one) got a podium last season, and none for Renault.

I also just realized after this year Renault won't have any customer teams. Given their struggles in the hybrid era, combined with seeing Honda go from a meme engine to a perennial podium engine, that might raise some questions about their future.

So it was more of him being disillusioned with what he found at Renault once he got there? They sold him on a bill of goods that turned out not to be what they were saying it was.

On the bright side if they were still using the old car numbering system, it would look like McLaren finished 2nd in the constructor's championship for 2020. #3 & #4 :)

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renault-abiteboul-ricciardo-mclaren-reaction/4792145/

Cyril takes a little jab at Ricciardo.

"In our sport, and particularly within the current extraordinary situation, reciprocated confidence, unity and commitment are, more than ever, critical values for a works team," Abiteboul said.
Is he trying to say Ricciardo should have stayed because of the pandemic? What does that have to do with anything? Sounds like he's using a lot of words to say "he betrayed us".

"In our sport, and particularly within the current extraordinary situation, reciprocated confidence, unity and commitment are, more than ever, critical values for a works team," Abiteboul said.[/QUOTE]

You cant have reciprocated confidence with poor car can you Cyril? The chasis and engine were sub par last year, he's obviously still feeling burnt by being soundly beaten by his engine customer and now they've poached his driver muhahaha

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renault-abiteboul-ricciardo-mclaren-reaction/4792145/

Cyril takes a little jab at Ricciardo.

"In our sport, and particularly within the current extraordinary situation, reciprocated confidence, unity and commitment are, more than ever, critical values for a works team," Abiteboul said.
That sound you can just about hear? That's Nico Hulkenberg choking on a currywurst.

And Carlos Sainz snorting out paella.

And Jolyon Palmer spinning in a pit lane exit, though that's not related.

Last edited:
Back